Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Detailed Combat Example

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> The War Room >> RE: Detailed Combat Example Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 1:04:46 PM   
oldspec4

excellent write-up...thanks for doing this.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 31
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 1:25:19 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Indeed.
It helped me to understand how some symbols work.

Thanks

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 32
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 1:30:02 PM   
Seydlitz69

Thx. Great write-up- This explained a lot to me.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 33
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 5:40:41 PM   
Barthheart

Glad you all liked it and it helped some.

Hope you all enjoy the game as much as I do.

< Message edited by Barthheart -- 8/29/2010 5:41:00 PM >

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Seydlitz69)
Post #: 34
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 6:38:49 PM   
Puhis

So, combat works pretty much like in AT?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 35
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 6:40:45 PM   
dougb

Just like to chime in with my thanks as well. I'm really enjoying the game so far though I've spent the little time that I've had just tinkering and reading the manual. I think that these examples are tremendously helpful as a few things appear to get only very short explanations in the manual (and some none at all).

Best wishes,

Doug

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 36
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 6:54:40 PM   
GFelz

Excellent post. My first game was Case White as the Poles. Of course I was really uncertain of what I was doing: read everything but its still new. Everything was set for historical. Every turn was tense. I must admit, it was only until the last couple of turns did I realize that I was going to win. Lodz ended up being a smoking ruin for a week or so!

Very tense and your post clearly demonstrates the ability of the game to model combined arms. Thanks

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 37
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 7:10:49 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

So, combat works pretty much like in AT?

Similar but with reworked values and some routines.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 38
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 7:15:10 PM   
TPM

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldspec4

Again, thanks...this was really helpful.

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 39
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/29/2010 9:53:10 PM   
sanderz

thank you

that really helped - several little tips i hadn't noticed

most useful to me was the explanation of the combat stacking info on the combat screen (which i don't think was explained in the manual) - i had been trying for BIG numbers which must have made my combs very inefficient - but if i read you correct attackers should be aiming for a attack stack value of equal or just below the the def stack value

presumably the combat values on the actual units will give you a better idea of the likely combat outcome?

once again thanks

doc

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 40
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 3:20:46 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanderz
- but if i read you correct attackers should be aiming for a attack stack value of equal or just below the the def stack value

No that's not quite it. The attack stack value is show as "xx/yy" where "xx" is the stacking points of all the attacking units and "yy" is the maximum stacking points before penalty. "xx" increases with each units added to teh attack while the only way to increase "yy" is to attack for more than 2 sides.

The defending stack points doesn't figure into that. BUT if you have more than 100 stack points in a defneding hex it is consideered overstacked and they will suffer more casualties because of it.

You can see if you are over stacking by selecting a hex and looking at the very top line of the main screen, top yellow circle in attached pic. This is the total stack points present in that hex. The lower yellow circle shows the stack points for the top unit in this stack. This is under the "Unit details" tab.

quote:

presumably the combat values on the actual units will give you a better idea of the likely combat outcome?

This is kind of true. The numbers relate the realative strengths of each unit based on all the factors of that unit, ie supply, integrity, readiness, experience, morale entrenchment. But units with the same numbers would not necessarily fight to a stand off. If an armoured unit fights an infantry unit that has the same number shown on it's counter but that has no AT ability then the armoured unit will probably win out as tanks are devistating against infantry in the open.

quote:

once again thanks

doc

Your welcome. Just hope that helps out some more.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 41
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 8:59:52 AM   
Josh

Very much appreciated, thanks Barthheart.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 42
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 9:29:02 AM   
Blind Sniper

Question about recon:
Does a low recon value effect on combat outcome?
I mean, less enemy intelligence less effective attack

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 43
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 9:56:13 AM   
Hexagon

Thanks for the minitutorial, i think that this is important to know more about the game for example i know now that a R in unit counter, right side, is refered to recon (same for infantry units with this R in the middle of NATO symbol or means reservist??? i think that is the last option) maybe another good post could refer to units, counters and what mean symbols and unit values

< Message edited by Hexagon -- 8/30/2010 10:14:44 AM >

Post #: 44
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 11:51:05 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

Question about recon:
Does a low recon value effect on combat outcome?
I mean, less enemy intelligence less effective attack

No it's doesn't affect combat other than you might get a surprised by a larger unit than you thought!

Post #: 45
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 11:53:11 AM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

Thanks for the minitutorial, i think that this is important to know more about the game for example i know now that a R in unit counter, right side, is refered to recon (same for infantry units with this R in the middle of NATO symbol or means reservist??? i think that is the last option) maybe another good post could refer to units, counters and what mean symbols and unit values

You're welcome.

Yes the small R in the nato counter means the units contains reserve troops.

I might do a unit description post if I can find the time.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 46
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 1:03:29 PM   
olivier34

Thanks for this, I did'nt buy the game allready but I sure will. I like the idea of the zoc value, that you need 4x enemy value to get the control of a hex. Players, I would love to read an AAR and hear about the AI. Is the AI reacting correctly or doing weird things ?

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 47
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/30/2010 2:02:17 PM   
Dennistoun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon
maybe another good post could refer to units, counters and what mean symbols and unit values

I think also that would be nice.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 48
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/31/2010 9:49:46 AM   
U2

Thanks so much for writing this!

(in reply to Dennistoun)
Post #: 49
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 8/31/2010 7:00:19 PM   
gjbirch

Many thanks for the write up. I have been playing as the Poles in Case White (like GFelz) and this cleared a few items up for me. Well done! 

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 50
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/2/2010 8:48:32 PM   
tgb

Thank you.  This does a much better job of explaining combat than the manual.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 51
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/5/2010 2:46:53 PM   
Blutch

Great ! Playing in a different scale, I didn t seen some details !

Thanks

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 52
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/6/2010 8:13:51 AM   
parusski

I think I'll join in this love fest too. YOU should have written the manual. I learned more about the mechanics of the game by following you Detailed Combat Example than I did from the manual or any other post.

You know, you could takes a little time and show us more.....

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 53
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/6/2010 2:57:53 PM   

Agree, this is way more useful than the manual, thanks!

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 54
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/9/2010 10:44:24 PM   
rayhughes

Many many thanks for your helpful post. This is what we need indeed. Any further contributions are most welcome

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 55
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/10/2010 4:42:53 AM   
bairdlander2

Right on!I was just going to post,but you have answered my question.Thanks.

(in reply to rayhughes)
Post #: 56
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/13/2010 12:49:47 AM   
Rocko911

Anyway we could get this in a pdf? It was very helpfull. Thanks

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 57
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 9/26/2010 1:18:45 AM   
Krupinski

a nice addition to the manual !! Thanx a lot! 

(in reply to Rocko911)
Post #: 58
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 10/1/2010 8:44:52 AM   
cillmhor

Thank you for the very clear explanation of what happens in combat. I have a couple of other questions relating to combat. When artillery or aircraft attack a stack with multiple units, they don't always appear to do equal damage to each unit. I haven't looked at it systematically yet, and so it may be that on some of the occasions I have seen this, the unit types may have been armoured and infantry and so more or less vulnerable to the type of attack. But I'm almost sure it has also occured for the same unit type. Is damage from artillery and air strikes variable on stacks? Would this be due to some units being dug in, or other factors, or are units targeted individually and so variable results can occur?

Also I have noticed fortifications, urban and heavy forest appear to negate the effects of artillery and air strikes somewhat, but againI may be mistaken here?

And is there an element of fog of war in air strikes and artillery strikes, leading you to believe that more or less damage was done to a unit than actually was?

Also does range come into play for artillery strikes, does an adjacent hex strike do more damage than a strike made from the 2-hex range? And with airstrikes is it modelled that airgroups closer to the target get more time over the target?

< Message edited by cillmhor -- 10/1/2010 8:47:45 AM >

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 59
RE: Detailed Combat Example - 10/1/2010 4:14:15 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: cillmhor

Thank you for the very clear explanation of what happens in combat. I have a couple of other questions relating to combat. When artillery or aircraft attack a stack with multiple units, they don't always appear to do equal damage to each unit. I haven't looked at it systematically yet, and so it may be that on some of the occasions I have seen this, the unit types may have been armoured and infantry and so more or less vulnerable to the type of attack. But I'm almost sure it has also occured for the same unit type. Is damage from artillery and air strikes variable on stacks? Would this be due to some units being dug in, or other factors, or are units targeted individually and so variable results can occur?

Glad I could help out.

Yes each unit will probably be affected by bombardments differently based on their entrenchment values. Also different types of bombardments affect different type if troops more or less. Ie He-111, Do-217 and JU-88's are more effective against soft troops and structures, while JU-87's have more effect on guns and vehicles.

quote:

Also I have noticed fortifications, urban and heavy forest appear to negate the effects of artillery and air strikes somewhat, but againI may be mistaken here?

Yes these types of terrain reduce the affects of bombardment. So try to use level bombers to destroy fortifications before arty strikes to damage the unit.

quote:

And is there an element of fog of war in air strikes and artillery strikes, leading you to believe that more or less damage was done to a unit than actually was?

No you get a true value of the damage done.

quote:

Also does range come into play for artillery strikes, does an adjacent hex strike do more damage than a strike made from the 2-hex range? And with airstrikes is it modelled that airgroups closer to the target get more time over the target?

No for arty but yes as you describe for air strikes.

(in reply to cillmhor)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> The War Room >> RE: Detailed Combat Example Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI