Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:18:44 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

He put those " around trial so its pretty clear he ripped it. If its ok to pirate a game and then buying if one likes it is another discussion of course.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 91
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:22:57 PM   
ade670

lets not get off topic here fellas - I love this game and am really annoyed to see a function I have used so extensively turn out to be useless - End of chat

but seeing as you are keen to know.

In the absence of a demo I download a ripped edition as a trial and loved it so much that I purchased it - more or less in the same week

Really not sure what the drama is although a demo would have saved me at least 20secs of my life (20secs = the time it took to locate aformentioned item)

Damn me to hell......

Ade

< Message edited by ade670 -- 9/18/2010 9:27:25 PM >

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 92
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:27:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

He put those " around trial so its pretty clear he ripped it. If its ok to pirate a game and then buying if one likes it is another discussion of course.

Maybe yes, maybe no. But anyone who tries it on a publisher owned & operated forum is too dumb to waste time on.

The Moose

Post #: 93
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:33:14 PM   
chesmart

He must be the guy who asked in the war forum about Pirated WITP AE. Personally I think he is a troll So green button for you dude. BYE

P.S. Matrix Please increase the security of your games as there are pirated copies of AE on the worlds most resilient torrent site.

< Message edited by che200 -- 9/18/2010 9:36:35 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 94
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:35:32 PM   
ade670

and green button for you che200 -

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 95
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:39:25 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: che200

P.S. Matrix Please increase the security of your games as there are pirated copies of AE on the worlds most resilient torrent site.

No - don't go punishing those of us you pay from the get-go. There will always be a bit of what he did out there.

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 96
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:49:26 PM   
ade670

a

< Message edited by ade670 -- 9/18/2010 9:50:11 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 97
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:51:24 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Welly welly well...

So after all there is no bug in the search arcs thing? From what some posters said, finding objects outside the assigned arcs is then intended? I didn't know that. I would have wanted the planes to patrol ONLY the arcs assigned (in fact, I thought that was the idea), but...

Thanks for this test. I too will be avoiding the search arcs

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 98
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 9:51:51 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ade670

a

Ouch thats realy asshole behaviour.I was giving you the benefit of doubt but yes, to dumb to waste time on.

(in reply to ade670)
Post #: 99
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/18/2010 11:52:52 PM   
John Lansford

ade670,

Your behavior (and refusal to admit you stole the game) is going to alienate you from the community here.  Maybe you don't care, but after you find your questions aren't being answered, you may think otherwise. 

As for the search arcs, I turned all mine off last night and suddenly located and attacked at least half a dozen new sub locations.  Surface TF sightings are rare because AI ship losses have been heavy and it is holding most of them out of my search range, but I've seen a few of them I wasn't aware of too.

Post #: 100
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 12:17:57 AM   
witpqs

John,

You are absolutely right on his behavior. He did up and pay for the game, so I view the 'tryout' thing he mentioned somewhat differently than stealing the game.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 101
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 1:45:32 AM   
tigercub

you guys can be hard on a new guy realax a bit! we all love the game...bring the love

Tigercub

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 102
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 1:47:32 AM   
Buck Beach

quote:

so,

why the high price tag?

ade

Might want to search the forum for how many times the issue of the cost and the status of the game developers has been discussed here on the fourm.

I see by your relatively few posts you are not an active participant here or you are a lurker. Neither is a crime, but, seems to me your disrespect towards the group is very out of place. They, the developers, have provide tremendous ongoing support since the game was published.

(in reply to ade670)
Post #: 103
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 1:59:59 AM   
rader

I'll probably run a few more tests on search altitude (15,000 ft vs. 6000ft vs. 1000 ft) in the next couple of days, and maybe on radar or something when I get some free time. However, I do want to highlight that even if search arcs aren't working as intended, this is no way reduces my appreciation for the amazing accomplishment that is AE!

The amount of effort and devotion that went into this game is truly stagering and humbling.

Well done, AE team!!

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 104
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 3:03:30 AM   
Shark7

quote:

Warning!

/rant mode on

Being one who works on games, in my opinion it is not all-right at all. You are stealing plain and simple if you use a pirated copy. If the game is for sale as it is here on Matrix, and you obtain a pirated copy, you have stolen from every person who worked on the project, from the developers who code it, to the receptionist at the publisher. Selling copies is how companies like Matrix pay their employees and keep the business open.

/rant mode off

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 105
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 4:24:45 AM   
Sredni

Well, this thread was on track and useful until a bunch of holier then thou's jumped on something that has nothing to do with the thread at hand, and isn't anyone's business anyways (seriously, are you the cops? the devs? the neighborhood watch?).

Thank you all for derailing an informative thread.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 106
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 5:51:28 AM   
hunchback77

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader

I'll probably run a few more tests on search altitude (15,000 ft vs. 6000ft vs. 1000 ft) in the next couple of days, and maybe on radar or something when I get some free time. However, I do want to highlight that even if search arcs aren't working as intended, this is no way reduces my appreciation for the amazing accomplishment that is AE!

The amount of effort and devotion that went into this game is truly stagering and humbling.

Well done, AE team!!

Please try a test with search set at 100% Rader. Thank you for the testing you are doing.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 107
Stepping Back - 9/19/2010 8:17:40 AM   
Cad908

Ok, I have been reading this thread with a growing sense of unease. For the record, I purchased:

Uncommon Valor, which I enjoyed and lead to high expectations for War In the Pacific;

War in the Pacific (WITP), which I thought was not playable as released and felt somewhat burned by the whole process. I checked into the mods on a regular basis, but still.. I remember reading something from Grisby about the game not being playable on this scale, then why release it under your name? Still, many enjoyed the game and it spawned....;

War in the Pacific, Admirals Edition, which I had no intention of purchasing given my experience with WITP. However, watching the dedication of the new devs, who I assumed Grisby had given content control over, and my love of the genre, there are no other viable WWII Pacific strategic games out there, I went ahead.

I must say, this last year has been interesting. I have played the heck out of the AI (schedule limitations preclude PBEM), and Andy should take pride in what he has done. Within the scripting environment and game structure he was saddled with, he increased the AI from WITP by 10 fold. (IF anyone wants to debate that, please private mail me at your convenience and we can discuss). So did I get my moneys worth, why yes I did. Do I enjoy, and still do, the game they created, certainly.

After the last patch, the devs announced they were going to focus on bug zapping and would not be looking to do new features. Well, we now have issues with surface radar not working and search arcs not functioning (still to be determined)and what else is out there, allied attack bomber per chance.

If anyone thinks I am being unreasonable or irrational, I would cite my post history, please review it. Like most, I have spent considerable time trying to understand the game, improve the game and help others.

This is not an attack on the devs, who I have the highest respect for, but I think we need to start holding the people who took our money accountable for GIVING THE DEVS THE RESOURCES THEY NEED TO SUPPORT THE PRODUCT. (shouting intended) Lets tell Matrix this in no uncertain terms.

Thank you for your time, signing off.

Post #: 108
RE: Stepping Back - 9/19/2010 8:25:36 AM   
Smeulders

For those who haven't looked at the thread in tech support, it is being looked at and michaelm might have already found the cause of the bug. If he's correct about it, it could be fixed pretty quickly. A big thank you to the devs for looking into it.

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 109
RE: Stepping Back - 9/19/2010 8:26:29 AM   
witpqs

Cad908,

The items you cited are bugs that they have found and have fixes for in the next patch.

(in reply to Cad908)
Post #: 110
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 10:03:47 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sredni

Well, this thread was on track and useful until a bunch of holier then thou's jumped on something that has nothing to do with the thread at hand, and isn't anyone's business anyways (seriously, are you the cops? the devs? the neighborhood watch?).

Thank you all for derailing an informative thread.

AMEN! It's almost as if they purposely raised this "red herring" to sidetrack discussion of a serious problem. Let's get back on point....

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 111
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 11:02:44 AM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

quote:

a

Ouch thats realy asshole behaviour.I was giving you the benefit of doubt but yes, to dumb to waste time on.

This was comenting the fact he put a link to a pirate download in his post.Well he removed it later.

Post #: 112
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 11:05:22 AM   
ade670

Guys

I totally agree - seems to be those on here who are very out of touch with reality - this has the potential to be a great game. The comparison I draw is like having a great looking car which drives well except for - the radio doesn't work , the lights are erratic , the lock sticks , loses speed for no reason - you get my drift - oh yeah hefty price tag - so it seems people except these faults due to some nostalgic connection in this forum - from a few pms I have recieved it appears that the many faults we have currently were recognised in the design phase and either arrogantly ignored or dismissed as "let's send it out there , get a few bucks and see what happens when the threads start coming in" - oh yeah let's not forget the manual which is far from comprehensive - any chance of a major upgrade to the manual to include the many omissions.

I'm interested in value for money and great gaming - thought I had this until I started reading these posts ( looking under the hood !). I know feel let down and am considering asking for a refund - my rant over
And to put the trial copy to bed - is it just me that thinks the price tag warranted a demo - no way was I shelling out that amount without a trial - the fact that I purchased more or less straight away proves that it worked - has a demo ever been discussed?? You could limit features such as radar and search arcs - oh wait you have already done that - think you sent me the demo not the full version !!

< Message edited by ade670 -- 9/19/2010 11:20:40 AM >

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 113
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 11:33:59 AM   
witpqs

ade,

The notion that this product was knowingly put out there with bugs is pure bunk. I'm sure somebody thinks so and sent you PM's, but it's just nonsense. The craziness about faked moon landings has more credibility.

As far as the price tag, it has a far lower price per hour of play cost than any other game for the average player who finds that it is their cup of tea.

There you get to the possibility of a demo. Demos take time (and money) to produce, and with the depth of this game I for one am not certain how they could pull it off. The best way to get a feel for the game has been for prospective buyers to visit the forum, and quite a number have both done so and posted their questions.

(in reply to ade670)
Post #: 114
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 12:24:42 PM   
Retsel

ade670

I rarely post, a long time lurker though. I dont know what planet you are on personally. A game of this depth produced by a non full time development team is for the very large part ' bug free'. Anything that is spotted is preety quickly picked up and dealt with.

I play numerous games and have for years like many here i assume. ALL games developed have bugs that appear at release, more appear as the game gets patched and other bugs suface because of fixes etc.....Welcome to the world of computer gaming.

I can name you many many games developed with multi million £ budgets that are bug ridden piles of ****. For the complexity and size and small dev team this game we all play and love is a gem.

Not many developers produce games of this style because there is not a massive user base and profits are limited. This game is produced by people with the same passion for this style of gaming as ourselves ( there arent that many ) and in order to make a profit or just to complete costs and continue doing similiar in future a 'hefty' price tag as you put it is a neccisity.

I for one know the value of this game to me...The hours upon hours of play i have had for cost involved is neglible.

I buy quite a few games, many i see for the waste of cost within hours (minutes in some cases) ....be it the style of game i dont enjoy(advertising got me again)....GAME BREAKING bugs or the fact that i get bored with the low level of depth and dumbing down of what could be a great game for the reason to be more easily picked up by the general computer gamer.

This game is a salmon in a sea of sardines..... I appreciate you enjoy this depth/complexity/time period/style of gaming like myself...i salute you for that
What i ask of you is to refrain from your argumentative posting style of late and help this forum/game with patience and help...Do some testing yourself...help make the game better...this game is a product of all of ourselves in a way and we can all be part of its growth and continued success.

You ask why a demo couldnt be released.....IMO a demo would be a great idea..more people would def come and buy if they could try before buy.
But there maybe complications in the coding to limit aspects of game/time of play etc that we are not aware of....im not a programmer but im sure the coding to do this would be a time constraint on a dev team that as you are now aware is not full time but people like ourselves with other jobs and RL constraints...If they were just in this for the money im sure a demo would have been released, but i have the feeling this game is more a labour of love and solely not a money making excercise.

< Message edited by Retsel -- 9/19/2010 12:29:36 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 115
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 12:39:13 PM   
n01487477

Ade,
comparing a piece of software this complex to a car is a disservice - & I know you were not being literal; but I'll respond anyway. Cars have been out and about for over a century, with plenty of time to perfect and iron out problems - they are essentially old tech anyway & manufacturers still get it wrong. Thinking of the small number of working parts on a car and comparing it to a few 100 thousand line piece of code is pretty unfair really.

AE has been out for over a year and we've had quite a few updates and it still has updates to come. This is one, if not the most in-depth games you'll ever play, made for a niche market and the quality is still there... which in my opinion is a great credit to the Devs. AE was released working and very playable; It has improved with new features and requests. Other companies might have cashed in a bit on that. Matrix didn't. But that I guess is beside the point ... updates are still coming.

Looking at the software industry; it is inherently bug ridden ... I should know I used to work in I.T. It is not like buying a toaster and plugging it in. Things are not so black and white ... Talking about Bug chasing - Windows has gone through at least 6 iterations over the years and it is still likely to blue screen you occasionally. The Space Shuttle still has code glitches. And don't get me started on other software houses... but once again I digress.

Anyway, the bugs you mention have already been looked at and have either been fixed or are being investigated. MichealM & others are always looking in, answering questions or testing.

As for a manual update - hey that would be nice; but then what software/game has ever done that? I'm sure there must be 1 or 2 exceptions to the rule over the last 25 years. Honestly if I had all the answers I'd be less inspired to work on Tracker, make videos or do general testing... it's my thing; I know that's not for everyone but discussing & discovering something new about the game is just so damn enjoyable. Still I guess Matrix could make it an Open-University degree Stop the dumbing down I say!

As for asking for your money back, well good luck with that - you obviously still play and are here -- so you must be getting some use out of it. Can I ask for money back on a half eaten hamburger? Yes I know unfair comparisons again ... but then you could always have a rant-fest with the guys who bought Empire TW... and have much more right than you to do so.

So you thought you had a princess and then you heard some gossip and now it's all off ... I'd continue the analogy here but modesty refrains me from ...

I guess in the end nothing anyone says here is going to cool your indignation. Play-on ... it's all good & it always gets better.

[edit] in the end Retsel said it much better than I ...

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 9/19/2010 12:46:14 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 116
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 12:42:50 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477
Can I ask for money back on a half eaten hamburger?

Well, you can ask... not so sure u gona get it tho

Rasmus

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 117
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 2:06:44 PM   
CV Zuikaku

I have switched off all of my search arcs and my search results are excellent now. Even in those sectors that were previously covered by multiple search arcs. Hope they'll fix the arcs soon, as they are very usefull feature (when working ). I also noticed my ops losses went down after clearing search arcs. Does anyone else have similar experience?

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 118
RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes - 9/19/2010 3:18:41 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retsel

ade670

I rarely post, a long time lurker though. I dont know what planet you are on personally. A game of this depth produced by a non full time development team is for the very large part ' bug free'. Anything that is spotted is preety quickly picked up and dealt with.

I play numerous games and have for years like many here i assume. ALL games developed have bugs that appear at release, more appear as the game gets patched and other bugs suface because of fixes etc.....Welcome to the world of computer gaming.

I can name you many many games developed with multi million £ budgets that are bug ridden piles of ****. For the complexity and size and small dev team this game we all play and love is a gem.

Not many developers produce games of this style because there is not a massive user base and profits are limited. This game is produced by people with the same passion for this style of gaming as ourselves ( there arent that many ) and in order to make a profit or just to complete costs and continue doing similiar in future a 'hefty' price tag as you put it is a neccisity.

I for one know the value of this game to me...The hours upon hours of play i have had for cost involved is neglible.

I buy quite a few games, many i see for the waste of cost within hours (minutes in some cases) ....be it the style of game i dont enjoy(advertising got me again)....GAME BREAKING bugs or the fact that i get bored with the low level of depth and dumbing down of what could be a great game for the reason to be more easily picked up by the general computer gamer.

This game is a salmon in a sea of sardines..... I appreciate you enjoy this depth/complexity/time period/style of gaming like myself...i salute you for that
What i ask of you is to refrain from your argumentative posting style of late and help this forum/game with patience and help...Do some testing yourself...help make the game better...this game is a product of all of ourselves in a way and we can all be part of its growth and continued success.

You ask why a demo couldnt be released.....IMO a demo would be a great idea..more people would def come and buy if they could try before buy.
But there maybe complications in the coding to limit aspects of game/time of play etc that we are not aware of....im not a programmer but im sure the coding to do this would be a time constraint on a dev team that as you are now aware is not full time but people like ourselves with other jobs and RL constraints...If they were just in this for the money im sure a demo would have been released, but i have the feeling this game is more a labour of love and solely not a money making excercise.

Retsel, fantastic post!

Please post more and lurk less if this is the type of contribution you make to our great community!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Retsel)
Post #: 119
RE: Search arc statistical test - 9/19/2010 3:49:24 PM   
vonTirpitz

In case anybody missed it, one of the developers may have found something related to this issue in the tech thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2574254

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search by surface ships' floatplanes Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI