Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unit strength question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Unit strength question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unit strength question - 9/22/2010 7:10:19 PM   
jjdenver

Hi,

If you are picking units to use in the line for a field battle and you have to choose between a strength 1 unit with a circle around the "1", and a strength 2 unit - which is better? I'm not clear on what the circle does.

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Unit strength question - 9/22/2010 7:39:43 PM   
mercenarius

First off, let me emphasize that each attack factor is like a roll of the dice. A unit with an AF of 2 gets two chances to score a hit or a rout each round of combat. A unit with an AF of 1 gets one such chance.

The circle indicates that the unit receives a bonus which allows it to score more hits. This bonus is applied to each "roll of the dice" as it were. It increases the chance of a hit by 20%. The chance to score a rout remains the same.

USUALLY a unit with an AF of 1 with a bonus will score better than a unit with an AF of 2 and no bonus. But sometimes those two chances with no bonus will score two hits or routs (or one of each).

If you have a large differential between commanders (Hannibal with 12 is taking on a 4 like Sempronius) the command bonus may make the 2 AF and no circle more deadly.

I usually like to have a combination with Hannibal. A couple of Spanish Infantry (if he has them) and a couple of cavalry or Gallic infantry (if he has them). If the generals are close in command rating, the units with a bonus are usually more reliable.

James Warshawsky
Forced March Games, LLC

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 2
RE: Unit strength question - 9/22/2010 9:53:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

I think the right word for the units with a bonus is indeed "reliable". The ones without a bonus could hit a home run or strike out, but the ones with an attack bonus are your reliable troops.

It's also worth noting that when you're storming a city or attacking a fortified position, that attack bonus comes in quite handy to overcome the defender's bonuses when the straight attack value may be reduced.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to mercenarius)
Post #: 3
RE: Unit strength question - 9/23/2010 12:53:09 PM   
NefariousKoel

True, keeping your reliable Spanish Infantry alive and participating is a very good idea.

But don't underestimate a horde of 2-strength Gallic Warriors. I tend to linger and split my two generals into Gaul and Cisalpine Gaul from the start to maximize my Gallic recruiting. It doesn't take long to exhaust recruiting there and, along with playing the Gallic Aid card on the first turn, can create a pretty massive army in just a couple turns.

I place my companion cavalary, elephants (if they're still alive - often don't last very long), a couple Spanish Infantry, and an African Infantry soaker into my battle line up and fill the rest out with Gallic warriors. The results are often pretty good. However, I've had some battles where I've had nearly all Gallic Warriors and they just facemelted the enemy... I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round. In good numbers, the Gauls have a reliability all their own.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Unit strength question - 9/23/2010 1:28:32 PM   
diablo1

1 is the lonliest number that you'll ever play. 2 can be as bad as 1 it's the lonilest number to the number 1. oh

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 5
RE: Unit strength question - 9/23/2010 4:02:10 PM   
TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round.

16 hits! Holy cow. Well done! I don't think I've ever had more than 11. You're the record-holder, Nefarious!

Tim

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 6
RE: Unit strength question - 9/23/2010 6:48:57 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round.

16 hits! Holy cow. Well done! I don't think I've ever had more than 11. You're the record-holder, Nefarious!

Tim

Well.. it was an open-field battle.. with Hannibal leading.. and I played a card, too.

(in reply to TJD)
Post #: 7
RE: Unit strength question - 9/27/2010 4:37:06 PM   
Miket_nz

erik, intersting, this tends to confirm something I had observed empirically, that is that Rome is better at storming cities than I am, and I guess that has to do with the fact he is virtually always throwing his 1 with a circle legions against them, whereas I am not. I might think about creating infantry heavy force (if I ever have the spare resources ) for storming cities under Hannibal's protective umbrella....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think the right word for the units with a bonus is indeed "reliable". The ones without a bonus could hit a home run or strike out, but the ones with an attack bonus are your reliable troops.

It's also worth noting that when you're storming a city or attacking a fortified position, that attack bonus comes in quite handy to overcome the defender's bonuses when the straight attack value may be reduced.

Regards,

- Erik

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War >> Unit strength question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI