Unit strength question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Ancients] >> Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War

jjdenver -> Unit strength question (9/22/2010 7:10:19 PM)

Hi,

If you are picking units to use in the line for a field battle and you have to choose between a strength 1 unit with a circle around the "1", and a strength 2 unit - which is better? I'm not clear on what the circle does.

Thanks

mercenarius -> RE: Unit strength question (9/22/2010 7:39:43 PM)

First off, let me emphasize that each attack factor is like a roll of the dice. A unit with an AF of 2 gets two chances to score a hit or a rout each round of combat. A unit with an AF of 1 gets one such chance.

The circle indicates that the unit receives a bonus which allows it to score more hits. This bonus is applied to each "roll of the dice" as it were. It increases the chance of a hit by 20%. The chance to score a rout remains the same.

USUALLY a unit with an AF of 1 with a bonus will score better than a unit with an AF of 2 and no bonus. But sometimes those two chances with no bonus will score two hits or routs (or one of each).

If you have a large differential between commanders (Hannibal with 12 is taking on a 4 like Sempronius) the command bonus may make the 2 AF and no circle more deadly.

I usually like to have a combination with Hannibal. A couple of Spanish Infantry (if he has them) and a couple of cavalry or Gallic infantry (if he has them). If the generals are close in command rating, the units with a bonus are usually more reliable.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Unit strength question (9/22/2010 9:53:44 PM)

I think the right word for the units with a bonus is indeed "reliable". The ones without a bonus could hit a home run or strike out, but the ones with an attack bonus are your reliable troops.

It's also worth noting that when you're storming a city or attacking a fortified position, that attack bonus comes in quite handy to overcome the defender's bonuses when the straight attack value may be reduced.

Regards,

- Erik

NefariousKoel -> RE: Unit strength question (9/23/2010 12:53:09 PM)

True, keeping your reliable Spanish Infantry alive and participating is a very good idea.

But don't underestimate a horde of 2-strength Gallic Warriors. I tend to linger and split my two generals into Gaul and Cisalpine Gaul from the start to maximize my Gallic recruiting. It doesn't take long to exhaust recruiting there and, along with playing the Gallic Aid card on the first turn, can create a pretty massive army in just a couple turns.

I place my companion cavalary, elephants (if they're still alive - often don't last very long), a couple Spanish Infantry, and an African Infantry soaker into my battle line up and fill the rest out with Gallic warriors. The results are often pretty good. However, I've had some battles where I've had nearly all Gallic Warriors and they just facemelted the enemy... I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round. In good numbers, the Gauls have a reliability all their own.

diablo1 -> RE: Unit strength question (9/23/2010 1:28:32 PM)

1 is the lonliest number that you'll ever play. 2 can be as bad as 1 it's the lonilest number to the number 1. oh

TJD -> RE: Unit strength question (9/23/2010 4:02:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round.

16 hits! Holy cow. [X(] Well done! I don't think I've ever had more than 11. You're the record-holder, Nefarious!

Tim

NefariousKoel -> RE: Unit strength question (9/23/2010 6:48:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJD

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

I'm talking such as 16 hits in one battle round.

16 hits! Holy cow. [X(] Well done! I don't think I've ever had more than 11. You're the record-holder, Nefarious!

Tim

Well.. it was an open-field battle.. with Hannibal leading.. and I played a card, too. [:'(]

Miket_nz -> RE: Unit strength question (9/27/2010 4:37:06 PM)

erik, intersting, this tends to confirm something I had observed empirically, that is that Rome is better at storming cities than I am, and I guess that has to do with the fact he is virtually always throwing his 1 with a circle legions against them, whereas I am not. I might think about creating infantry heavy force (if I ever have the spare resources [:)]) for storming cities under Hannibal's protective umbrella....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I think the right word for the units with a bonus is indeed "reliable". The ones without a bonus could hit a home run or strike out, but the ones with an attack bonus are your reliable troops.

It's also worth noting that when you're storming a city or attacking a fortified position, that attack bonus comes in quite handy to overcome the defender's bonuses when the straight attack value may be reduced.

Regards,

- Erik

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI