Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Through a Glass Darkly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Through a Glass Darkly Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 1:12:31 AM   
Canoerebel

4/8/42

NE India: Japanese deliberate attacks at Diamond Harbor and Chittagong came off at less than 1:1 odds and failed to touch the forts (level three at each base). Since the Allied garrisons are overmatched at both bases, I expect them to fall, but the longer they hold, the better. A lightly defended Akyab falls to Japan.

South India: The Japanese took North Male Island, which will be a good seaplane base.

NW India: The British division landed at Karachi. Regular readers know that I've been sweating the safe arrival of this unit for weeks given the KB's prolonged presence just to the south, but everything worked out perfectly. One UK brigade remains at Karachi, one goes to Ahmadenabad, and one goes to Bombay. The recon unit goes to the little port across the bight from Surat.

Target Next?: Amphibious ships seem to be rounding the tip of India heading NW. We'll see where they go and how much they bring with them. Could be anything from supplies or reinforcements to the SW tip to a major invasion of the west coast.

Recapitulation of the Situation: All critical reinforcements due for Aden have now been safely transported to India. No further units of note are scheduled to arrive there for months. The next reinforcements arrive at Madras, Lahore, and a few other interior bases. Now it's time to see if I have enough to defend India, and whether Brad intends to bring enough to seriously threaten the sub-continent. Anything other than a total conquest of India will be an Allied victory, as far as I'm concerned. Given Scenario Two, I think Brad had the choice of taking New Zealand or giving Oz, India, or Hawaii his best shot at conquest. Only a success in achieving one of the latter three would represent a Japanese victory.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 451
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 1:40:23 PM   
Canoerebel

4/9/42

LOL: Sorry, I can't help but laugh. The KB slipped inside my screen of picket ships undetected and closed on Karachi. There it picked off four empty xAK, put single torps into CLs Ceres and Sumatra, and two TT into CA Cornwall (these ships were heading to Karachi to protect transports unloading there, but were tardy in arriving). The four combat ships suffered no more than moderate damage. They are just two hexes from the "Aden channel," so I think they'll all make Abadan unless a sub or combat TF picks them off before they make the channel safely. What really makes me chuckle is the narrow window through which all all the juicy xAPs made it to Karachi, unloaded the UK division, and retired back into the Aden channel. I wonder if Brad has the feeling that he missed an opportunity here?

Japanese Divisions: SigInt says 18th Division is on the way to Chittagong. That's the sixth IJA division accounted for thus far (6th Guards in SW India; 4, 18 and 38 at Chittagong; and 2 and 21 at Diamond Harbor). In addition, during the invasion of Ceylon, 48th, 1st, and Imperial Guards took Colombo, so at least those three divisions are available for additional amphibious operations, but I'll double that and say that I have to be wary of maybe six more coming ashore. But it is noteworthy that five IJA divisions are committed to the NE corner of the country. Even had I vacated the region it would take awhile for those troops to move west. I think the Allies have enough in the Bombay, Surat, Ahmadebad, Karachi sector to handle even a fullscale commitment of six divisions to that sector. Of course, if Brad lands those unaccounted for divisions in south or NE India, the threat to my main sector decreases considerably and I can begin to move troops forward.

Tank Demolition: A Japanese tank unit that landed south of Vizagapetum moved south to occupy what seemed to be an empty Allied city. Just before the tanks arrived and crossed the river, an Indian division made it to the base. The Indians were still in strategic mode, but they tore apart the tanks, which had also suffered some losses to Allied air attack. This tank unit is just about toast, now - a first small Allied victory in Operation Bemis Heights (the defense of India).

NoPac: The Marines now have 142 AV ashore at Attu Island along with a Seabee unit. An ACM will arrive in a day or two.

SubWars: O21 clobbered I-122 off Ceylon, scoring with three torps.

Oz: Quiet here. 40th/C Division is heading for Perth. As stated previously, I don't want to reveal the presence of 1-and-1/3rd American divisions in Oz for security reasons, so they are posting at rear bases while the Australian troops begin to move forward to threaten Cooktown and Geraldton. SigInt says 146th Regiment occupies Daly Waters.

A Nod to Brad: It seems like I've been campaigning and fretting in India for, well, forever...but it's only been a little more than a month. Over about 35 days, Brad has conquered Ceylon and landed successfully at Cox's Bazaar, SW India, and south of Viz, and is in the process of landing successfully at Diamond Harbor and Chittagong. To counter that, the Allies don't have much to show other than getting the Brit division safely to Karachi, and, I think, establishing troop concentrations that will permit the Allies to effectively wage war in India. IE, I'm glad I don't have 1,000 AV in the Calcutta area while Brad was landing six divisions at an undefended Surat.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/21/2010 1:45:51 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 452
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 1:44:59 PM   
Smeulders

The question is, has Brad noticed that the UK division is ashore ? If he doesn't know, it might pay off to keep them in reserve so KB will be committed to blockading Karachi a bit longer.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 453
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 1:49:32 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders
The question is, has Brad noticed that the UK division is ashore ? If he doesn't know, it might pay off to keep them in reserve so KB will be committed to blockading Karachi a bit longer.

Exactly! The three brigades are reinforcing important areas in the rear (Bombay, Ahmadebad, and Karachi, respectively).

What I don't know, but what I think is very possible, is that small things like this and the destruction of the IJA tank unit south of Viz can begin to create the appearance of problems - of things not going quite right - giving Brad a slowly growing sense of unease that might culminate in a bad case of the yips. Keeping units and carriers hidden will add to this effect...assuming it's happening, which I have no way of knowing.

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 454
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 2:39:38 PM   
paullus99

It is going to be interesting to watch this campaign develop. Once Q has enough airbases, I'm sure he'll turn over the air war to the IJAAF & use the KB to either support operations against Australia or any offensive moves by you in the Pacific. I don't know what British air replacements or reinforcements are like, but given that this is Scenario #2, I'm sure you will be overmatched for a while.

Of course, he still has to supply his troops - once the KB has left the area, his SLOC will be vulnerable again.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 455
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 3:09:39 PM   
Canoerebel

In addition to positioning the KB "at map's edge" where it is a long way from the Pacific, Brad has a heck of alot of divisions committed to India. The logistics required to reposition them at some point in the future will be daunting. It would make no sense for him to just be going after NE India - if that's all he's doing he's way overcommitted. So I'm still thinking "watch out for NW India," and I'm glad so many divisions are committed so far away.

What do I do in the Pacific while the KB remains far, far away?

(1) The western Aleutians are now basically secure. I'll continue sending engineers and other support troops, and perhaps a small infantry unit now and then, but Operation Eutaw Springs has been most successful.

(2) An unrestricted USA infantry division (38?) arrives at San Fran pretty soon. I want to send it to Oz, but I'll consider Fiji.

(3) Additional support troops are on the way to Fiji, and a restricted Marine regiment at San Diego is prepping for Suva. But it'll be awhile yet before I have the necessary political points to send this unit forward.

(4) At San Diego, I have about 300 AV prepping for Baker Island. This will require a large expenditure of PP, but my current plan is to buy them next and to move on Baker Island if it remains lightly defended (there are currently two units there of unknown strength).

(5) By the time the KB returns to the Pacific, the time for a move on Oz, New Zealand, or Hawaii will have lapsed (not to mention a lack of available IJ troops). I do expect Brad to move on Midway and I'm still quite concerned about Fiji.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 456
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 5:29:02 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

4/9/42

nsiderably and I can begin to move troops forward.

Tank Demolition: A Japanese tank unit that landed south of Vizagapetum moved south to occupy what seemed to be an empty Allied city. Just before the tanks arrived and crossed the river, an Indian division made it to the base. The Indians were still in strategic mode, but they tore apart the tanks, which had also suffered some losses to Allied air attack. This tank unit is just about toast, now - a first small Allied victory in Operation Bemis Heights (the defense of India).

You probably saw it in your last game but I have noticed that now that my infantry units are upgrading to "43" squads and six pounders and 57mm AT guns the Japanese armor really becomes fairly useless. Course you have a way to go.

I wanted to see a major game with an invasion of India but I can now see how it just opens up Japan too much for counterblows in the Pacific. I think a quick grab and kill in Celyon is still a good idea but he really will be in no position to attack OZ in strength until 6/42 at best. And, 6/42 in Oz is too late to accomplish much.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 457
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 8:24:30 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

put single torps into CLs Ceres and Sumatra, and two TT into CA Cornwall (these ships were heading to Karachi to protect transports unloading there, but were tardy in arriving). The four combat ships suffered no more than moderate damage.

Hmm . . . I count only three combat ships. Amusing to think that IRL, Cornwall was sunk by carrier aircraft not too far from that area. Kudos for surviving two torpedoes!

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 458
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/21/2010 10:53:13 PM   
Canoerebel

4/10/44 to 4/13/44

Capt Harlock: You caught me! It was indeed three, not four, combat ships tagged by the KB.

NE India: There was one troubling development on the 13th - Japanese paratroops took Comilla - a base on the road to the rear of Chittagong - despite the presence of defenders and two additional units set to arrive tomorrow. No, I didn't have any premonition of a para-assault. I was just preparing the next bump in the road. I'm pretty sure Brad's next attack at Chittagong will succeed, so my troops will find their best route of retreat severed. I'm sending additional troops to Comilla to try to evict the paratroops, but it's probably going to take too long to develop.

Calcutta and N India: The Allies have 600 AV and four forts here, but I won't take a chance on getting the garrison islolated. While I want to defend Calcutta, if necessary I'll pull back to a more cohesive line of defense. That line may be something stretching SW to NE from Bombay to Cawnpore.

South India: Brad is reinforcing his troops at the base south of Viz. No doubt he plans to exploit the empty spaces to the west. I want to establish some good road blocks, because 150 AV of reinforcements is due in Madras in about 17 days. I think I can accomplish that. SigInt says 19th Division is prepping for Madras, and 14th Division for Calcutta. Don't know anything about these units, yet, so I don't know if they are unrestricted.

W and NW India: So far no signs of a strong move in the "heartland." The KB has retired and is now SW of Goa.

China: Five IJA divisions (3, 34, 17, 27, and 36) pushed four Chinese units out of the forested hex east of Changsha. I'll have about 2500 AV behind 6 forts at Changsha, but I may need to bump that up a bit. Japan is also moving in the south, threatening to isolate Nanning.

SWPac: Quiet in Oz and NZ.

SoPac: Fiji is fully supplied for the first time in the game. Artillery and AA units are about to arrive, and a Marine regiment will arrive in a week or so.

CenPac: I'm thinking about withdrawing the base force at Midway and replacing it with an Army battalion or a Marine regiment. I want to maximize the AV while still remaining just under the garrison limit. I am nearly positive Midway will be Brad's first target when the KB returns to the Pacific.

NoPac: Additional support troops are on the way to various islands, the most significant being a good CD unit for Attu.

Sub Wars: I-26 got an empty xAK near San Diego. Allied subs continue to score hits with duds.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 459
RE: Why, eh? - 9/22/2010 6:17:31 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

By kami-time, are there enough aircraft to empty a Japanese general replacement pool and avoid the HI hit?

Number of aircraft is irrelevant, as you can pull as many pilots out of training school as you want independent of number of airframes.

Whether anyone would want to do all the clicking required is a different question. We play turn based strategy games for a reason

We now return you to your regularly scheduled AAR.

If you can do one more post on this, can you tell me how? Every day I have things I've missed in the interface and screens pointed out to me. Playing the Allies, the only way I can see to pull pilots out of school early is to put them into actual air units. There are group limits above the number of airframes where you can pull in extra pilots, but they're not infinite. More like 130% of allowed aircraft.

If I've missed a way to do what you say please let me know. I'm interested if I've missed something major.

You are correct that the pilot limit is about 133% of group size, but once you pull those pilots in you can transfer those pilots to general reserve. Pull another set of pilots, lather, rinse, and repeat. Unless there's an undocumented cap on general reserve, should work.

Not saying it would be fun or anyone would ever want to do it; however, the number of airframes (or groups) is not a limiting factor if someone wanted to deliberately empty their pilots-in-training, as you were suggesting might be a logical desire.

Certainly, there will come a point as Japan where I would like to empty the school (at worst, a year before the end of the game! and perhaps earlier) but I have a hard time imagining I would ever want to do this.

Post #: 460
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 1:50:22 PM   
FOW

quote:

4/10/44 to 4/13/44

CenPac: I'm thinking about withdrawing the base force at Midway and replacing it with an Army battalion or a Marine regiment. I want to maximize the AV while still remaining just under the garrison limit. I am nearly positive Midway will be Brad's first target when the KB returns to the Pacific.

Don't waste a good future offensive unit in this role. Use your expendable defensive units - you have several USMC Defense Bns available. The AV will be lower, but those CD guns will cause much damage to his Amph TFs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 461
RE: Why, eh? - 9/22/2010 1:52:22 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

You are correct that the pilot limit is about 133% of group size, but once you pull those pilots in you can transfer those pilots to general reserve. Pull another set of pilots, lather, rinse, and repeat. Unless there's an undocumented cap on general reserve, should work.

Aaaaannnnnddddd, the light bulb comes on. I never in a million years would have thought to do that. I must be getting old, and/or hidebound by rules and expected norms. Thanks for the explaination.

The Moose

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 462
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 1:55:28 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: FOW

quote:

4/10/44 to 4/13/44

Don't waste a good future offensive unit in this role. Use your expendable defensive units - you have several USMC Defense Bns available. The AV will be lower, but those CD guns will cause much damage to his Amph TFs.

Agree with this. Also, Midway can be over-stacked by even several thousand and still supplied fairly easily/safely from PH. You can shovel supplies in there with just two convoys making shuttle runs with a couple of CLs and 3-4 DDs. Unless he really commits to a deep strike to take them out you're good for six months or so. By then the war should have bypassed Midway and you can take it down to the stack limits.

The Moose

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 463
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 2:38:02 PM   
witpqs

Whoa! Midway can be over-stacked by several thousand and easily supplied? In some testing I did:

Stacking%---Supply Usage Multiplier
114%---004
120%---009
152%---056
222%---091

Meaning at Midway stacking limit = 6,000, so with 7,200 Base Load present (20% over) they will use about 9 times as many supplies as normal. With 9,120 Base Load (52% over) they will use about 56 times as many supplies as normal.

You can over-stack some and run in enough supplies, but at some point it becomes a great burden.

Post #: 464
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 3:58:24 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Whoa! Midway can be over-stacked by several thousand and easily supplied? In some testing I did:

114%---004
120%---009
152%---056
222%---091

Meaning at Midway stacking limit = 6,000, so with 7,200 Base Load present (20% over) they will use about 9 times as many supplies as normal. With 9,120 Base Load (52% over) they will use about 56 times as many supplies as normal.

You can over-stack some and run in enough supplies, but at some point it becomes a great burden.

From the manual, Section 8.9:

"Supply usage increases for every 10% over the stacking limit; supply
usage increases by an additional 20% UNCAPPED for both sides (e.g.
if an atoll has a 6,000 man limit and has 12,000 man garrison, supply
usage will increase from 100% to 300% i.e. the base supply for 10,000
men plus a special wastage allowance of 200% of normal supply.)"

I think this level of supply usage is easily done from PH with low risk. Now, putting three divisions on Midway, no.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/22/2010 3:59:14 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 465
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 4:06:04 PM   
John 3rd

I like the Baker assault idea. It is somewhat remote from Japanese AF and is close enough to your bases that it could be a fairly safe operation. Would serve as a reminder to your opponent that his Fleet is ELSEWHERE...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 466
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 4:17:59 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

114%---004
120%---009
152%---056
222%---091

I think this level of supply usage is easily done from PH with low risk. Now, putting three divisions on Midway, no.

Have you tried it? I tried it and got the above results.

Post #: 467
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 4:45:25 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

114%---004
120%---009
152%---056
222%---091

Have you tried it? I tried it and got the above results.

If so, you should post it in the Tech forum, as your results are wildly different than the manual forecasts. A 900% overusage for a 20% overstacking isn't anything I've seen.

I currently have 6,705 men on Midway, and am building supply with a four xAK CS convoy from Seattle. I have five air units there, one on 60% patrol, one Wildcat on 40% CAP, and three multi-engine on naval attack only. My base summary screen reports Supplies Required as 2683.

OTOH, in my previous game I went as high as 118,000 men on Tarawa during the fight. I couldn't load them off fast enough due
to port size and ate up 40,000 supplies in about a week or less (Tarawa is rated a Small island.)

I agree overstacking needs to be watched. But in a short-term situation like Midway, especially considering its strategic location, I wouldn't worry about putting in a base force, an AA unit, and a real defensive ground unit, possibly with CD back-up. My totals above are for two base forces and a USMC defensive unit that includes some CD. I don't expect the AI to try a real invasion. Against a human, I'd have more there and pay for it.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 468
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 4:52:15 PM   
witpqs

I guess you missed the thread. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2558000

Andy Mac responded:

quote:

I wrote the spec for this and its working as designed

And yes if you have 12,000 men on an atoll attacking it and the defender has 6,000 men then exactly where would you store the offloaded supplies - ah yes they are in the water ammo food drinking water !!!

The original spec for atolls had them at 4k but I was persuaded that without more fragmentation of units it wasnt possible to be that historic - i.e. we are already 50% more than I wanted before testing and Brady persuaded me that as each atoll was defacto defended by bespoke garrisons which a player cannot recreate in game I had to allow some wriggle room

Atolls just werent big enough assault troops must be supplied from the sea and the more troops you have ashore the less room you have to work with and the harder it is to keep up logistics

Best advice take it on day 1 or 2 or give up reload and pull out

Post #: 469
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 5:15:42 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I guess you missed the thread.

I went and read the thread. If that's what you saw that's what you saw. Andy didn't confirm or deny the manual's explaination as working or not. I haven't re-worked the numbers to see if the percentages work out given the spoilage escalator for over-stacking.

One thing you don't report is what the port/airbase sizes were and their effect on normal spoilage. Even with that, if your figures are correct, I stand by my conclusion that Midway can be supplied--easily---at your Case 2 number of 1700 per day. I don't think you need three crack regiments to defend Midway from invasion if you have proper air and CD installed. Nine thousand total men will do if you chose the LCUs carefully.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/22/2010 5:16:57 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 470
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 5:25:45 PM   
vettim89

One of the older PTO games (may have been PacWar) had it built into the combat routine that if you didn't take an atoll in two days, the troops loaded back onto the transports automatically. While AE is such a quantum leap forward as far as the game engine, that was a nice feature that was highly realistic. If you couldn't bust the defenses in quick order in such a small space, you were not going to accomplish it. Best to regroup and try another day.

Historically when you look at Wake Island, you can see that even a poorly prepared and supplied unit could repel an attack on an atoll. In truth if the American mind set was the same as the Japanese, i.e. fight to the last man/no surrender, the second Wake invasion probably would have failed also. Considering what happened to the survivors, the Marines and civilians probably should have fought it out.

That said, the USMC learned a lot at Tarawa and if you look at the operations at Kwajalein you can see that a very different approach was taken.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 471
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 5:49:09 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Probably hijacking the AAR, so I'll try to stop after this, but I went and looked at some Midway history. In 1943 the normal, non-battle complement of the island was a bit over 5000, with a full sub base, air field, and aircraft maintenance facility. The main island, Sand, is about 2.5 square miles. Airstrip takes a bunch, but there's ample room on either side for operations. POL farms are "dense pack" in terms of real estate (I know that from DG in RL.) Personnel facilities are also not big real estate eaters--multi-man tents, chow halls, rudimentary sanitation. (Trash burned and the whole Pacific for sewage disposal.) Spare parts take a fair bit of room, especially large things like engines, but even so 2.5 sq. miles is a lot of room.

Those talking about supplies tumbling into the ocean really don't understand how much space there is in 2.5 sq. miles of open sand. Midway isn't jungled or vertical.

I think the specs Andy designed work, even if they do or don't reflect what is in the manual (Still haven't tried to work the math for spoilage; will let the algorithm tell me what it's doing.) While Midway was fully functional with 5000 men, and still would have been with 6000, and would have been with the 6700 I have in my game. it wouldn't have been with 15,000. Those men wouldn't have consumed 90x the supplies, but they would have gotten in each others' way to the extent that no work would have happened, and supply usage is the only mechanism the game has to penalize for that, aside from disruption.

I re-looked at the cargo spec table, and Midway, with a Port 3, can unload 11,250 per day, and more if you send a lettered Det or naval support squads. That supports the Case 2 consumption in the test results linked in the thread, and allows for supply build as well. I sent engineers to boost the port and airfield as fast as possible after 12/7, then pulled them out and sent the Marine defense unit. If you stage the manpower you can work under 10,000 men and still get the island stable and defensible over several months. With Forts at 3 or more, it doesn't take a lot of LCU to defend.

The Moose

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 472
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 7:25:14 PM   
vettim89

Da Moose is right - the amplified supply usage is not meant to represent a historical fact that overpacked atolls saw increased supply usage but instead that overpacked atolls would not have been tenable. In my WiTP game, my opponent had 32,000 troops on Marcus Island. I figured it out that it worked out to like 30 sq ft per man. Can you imagine what the effect of a late war USN pre-invasion bombardment would have been in such a situation? So the supply factor is just a mechanism to force sanity onto players nothing more. The other thing is with the expanding AE map there a lot more options. Putting so many eggs in one basket doesn't make as much sense in AE as it did in WiTP

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 473
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 10:04:51 PM   
witpqs

Moose,

I might have put it in the footnotes but I stayed below the island's supply maximum to avoid spoilage penalty. Agree you can support 1,700 extra but you will have to supply them.

Disagree about supplying significantly higher numbers. Technically possible but both impractical and futile. Lots of ships and supplies - too many - that could be shipped elsewhere. The real kicker is this - your ships can only unload when the island is not under attack. When under attack, those troops will all be out of supply very quickly, then they fight at 25%. So, just put fewer troops there and get same results for fewer supplies and ships!

Trying to be concise so Canoe gets info if he wants it but not too much hijack.

EDIT: Of course you are both right, the supply penalty is an abstraction not meant to be literal. Personal note - once lived in Hoboken, NJ which was 1.1 sq mi with 40k to 50k population all in the 2/3 sq mi residential area.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/22/2010 10:06:48 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 474
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 10:24:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Moose,

I might have put it in the footnotes but I stayed below the island's supply maximum to avoid spoilage penalty. Agree you can support 1,700 extra but you will have to supply them.

Disagree about supplying significantly higher numbers. Technically possible but both impractical and futile. Lots of ships and supplies - too many - that could be shipped elsewhere. The real kicker is this - your ships can only unload when the island is not under attack. When under attack, those troops will all be out of supply very quickly, then they fight at 25%. So, just put fewer troops there and get same results for fewer supplies and ships!

Trying to be concise so Canoe gets info if he wants it but not too much hijack.

EDIT: Of course you are both right, the supply penalty is an abstraction not meant to be literal. Personal note - once lived in Hoboken, NJ which was 1.1 sq mi with 40k to 50k population all in the 2/3 sq mi residential area.

I used to work in marketing at Maxwell House, and visited the Fine City of HoBroken to see that old plant on the Hudson. The famous neon cup & last drop sign. Now long gone. But it's right there in the intro sequence in Woody Allen's great movie, "Manhattan", accompanied by Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue."

I have to carp one more time. Yeah, it's supply and ships, but in mid-1942 you have lots of both without many alternate needs. The turn-around to PH is a week. If the base is attacked, he's at the end of a very long, tenuous string, and you have the main USN strength right there at PH. Go kick his butt. Midway can't be a long, drawn out battle for the Japanese, and they have to unload across the beach. At 6000 hard ceiling you have trouble providing base and av support and leaving enough room for really any organic ground defenses. If you can go up 2000 or so you do. But you don't need the three regiments in your Case 3 to get the job done.

I just mowed the grass in anticipation of a 3-in frog strangler rain we're getting tomorow, so time to think about this thread. I have not had a job that involved analysis in a LONG time, and math never was my strong suit. I don't even do much arithmetic these days. But your results and what the manual says still are eating at me as out of synch. The manual seems to suggest a linear relationship between overloaded troop numbers and supply consumption. I don't see any compounding in there, at least in so many words. Yet you saw massive non-linearity (90x more supply consumption with only a little more than 2x troops.) Andy's post in the thread was equivocal. Yes, he designed the spec, and yes, it's "working", (as you showed in spades), but is it working as the manual says it should? Your results are an A-bomb for really not a hugely overbearing amount of over-loading. And your results show an odd function, which if not geometric is at least non-linear.

Any math whizzes who can compare the manual to the posted results care to comment?

Sorry, CR. I'm still reading both AARs, so I can't comment on your fine moves. It's an interesting campaign, no matter what happens. I will say you've both surprised each other.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/22/2010 10:26:40 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 475
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 10:51:54 PM   
witpqs

quote:

But your results and what the manual says still are eating at me as out of synch.

Yup.

I don't think Andy's remarks are equivocal because I only asked about my results, not the manual. Are you gonna tell me you followed The Book your whole career?

Post #: 476
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/22/2010 11:09:04 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

But your results and what the manual says still are eating at me as out of synch.

Yup.

I don't think Andy's remarks are equivocal because I only asked about my results, not the manual. Are you gonna tell me you followed The Book your whole career?

Well, no, but the Book isn't usually off by this much. This is a HUGE hole in the manual. Doing this wrong by following the manual might be unrecoverable in some invasions.

My more recent activities have been legal, not business, and I'd say Andy's answer would attract a pretty severe cross-x if he were a witness. "It works" would lead the reasonable man to believe it was "working" as the manual described. And it isn't. By a massive amount.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 477
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 6:37:32 PM   
Canoerebel

4/14/42 and 4/15/42

I step away for a day to visit family and I return to find all kinds of comments about various matters. I'll try to address a few.

Midway: I've found that over-stacking a 6,000 limit atoll results in exponentially greater supply usage. In my game with Miller I had something like 7,500 troops on Midway and could not keep the island supplied. I won't do that again, except under very limited circumstances. I have considered keeping a small infantry unit on transports posted east of Midway, then sending it to the island to quickly unload when an enemy invasion appeared imminent (the warning provided by picket ships). Anyhow, to reply to FOW's suggestion - I prefer to have both CD and some decent infantry present. At this point in the game, it would be a blow to lose Midway as it severly impacts the ability of the Allies to move forward (or threaten to move forward) along a CenPac route. So I do plan to boost the garrison AV while withdrawing the almost useless base force (perhaps I'll leave behind just a few base force personnel or use an seaplane tender to allow patrols).

Retreat Mayhem: I have been repeatedly abused by the retreat code in the game. Each time an Allied unit has retreated in India, it has taken the least logical and most useless route. The latest instances: (1) the units defending a base near the SW tip of India retreated south rather than east or north; and (2) four units that were already 30 miles towards a hex to the NE were attacked and retreated south, thereby jumping across about 76 miles of jungle.

India: No big landings or breakouts yet, so I'm still watching anxiously to see how the Japanese campaign will develop. Here's the general situation: (1) NW India: no enemy incursions and this is the best protected region; (2) SW India: 6th Guards Division has taken two bases, but really doesn't have a good line of advance. Indian units in and near Madras and Bangalore seem to be in a decent position to block whichever vector of advance Brad might select; (3) E India: Brad continues to land troops at a base on the east coast, south of Viz. Brad can move south to threaten Madras, north to threaten Calcutta, or west to move into the interior, but this will take time and wouldn't seem particularly efficient; (4) NE India: Japan will soon hold a line of bases from Akyab to Comilla, including Chittagong, though the Allies still hold that base at the moment. It will take some time for Japan to move further west to threaten Calcutta's flank. The Japanse troops at Diamond Harbor haven't tried another attack. Brad will need reinforcements to take this base.

KB: Retired to Colombo, successfully avoiding subs along the way.

Sub Wars: KXI got an xAK just south of Colombo.

SigInt: Reports of 639 men at Iwo Jima and that 144 Regiment is prepping for Canton Island. I have a CD unit on the way to Canton from Pearl.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/23/2010 6:38:35 PM >

Post #: 478
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 6:44:35 PM   
witpqs

On Midway, in my PBM I reinforced with 1 or 2 (whatever would fit at the time) of the small USMC units (para & raider). The base force and defense battalion both grew substantially over time, raising the AV. The defense Bn is particularly nice because it over-strengths on USMC squads and has those nice 4 x 7" guns that were present on Midway IRL.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 479
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 6:57:42 PM   
crsutton

quote:

Midway: I've found that over-stacking a 6,000 limit atoll results in exponentially greater supply usage. In my game with Miller I had something like 7,500 troops on Midway and could not keep the island supplied. I won't do that again, except under very limited circumstances. I have considered keeping a small infantry unit on transports posted east of Midway, then sending it to the island to quickly unload when an enemy invasion appeared imminent (the warning provided by picket ships). Anyhow, to reply to FOW's suggestion - I prefer to have both CD and some decent infantry present. At this point in the game, it would be a blow to lose Midway as it severly impacts the ability of the Allies to move forward (or threaten to move forward) along a CenPac route. So I do plan to boost the garrison AV while withdrawing the almost useless base force (perhaps I'll leave behind just a few base force personnel or use an seaplane tender to allow patrols).

I don't obsess over Midway. If the Japanese player wants it he will take it, but I think it is about the most easily retaken base on the map. He just is not close enough to support it. I would gladly look for a major fight there as any Japanese ship that is heavily damaged so far from home is in serious trouble.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Through a Glass Darkly Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI