Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:15:04 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

quote:

Hi all!

My subs perform well...

If my carriers didn't have bad luck, they would have no luck at all.

I like having my subs putting torpedoes into them
Unfortunately, my subs rarely survive meeting one of your ASW ships, while mine seem to be totally useless...

That's only fair, considering my subs are almost completely useless.

You bastard are still putting dents into the hulls of my ships. One CVL, three or four CAs and a DD all are a little slower as their hull isn't perfectly shaped any more. Some hundred kg hitting them at high speed is no good for the shape

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3331
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:19:55 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I can't believe that the 'bad rap' (note quote by Oregon epidemiologist ) you Euros put on this innocent little pathogen has lasted for so long...

I'm going to hazard a guess that the origin of the infection was a rat flea? Call it a hunch.

State health officials say a woman in Lake County has been diagnosed with bubonic plague.

It’s the first diagnosis in Oregon in 15 years. The disease terrorized Europe’s population more than 600 years ago, but the plague is treatable when caught early.

The plague is extremely rare these days. It’s a bacterial infection carried by rodents, and is transmitted to humans though fleas.

Dr. Emilio DeBess is the public health veterinarian and an epidemiologist with Oregon Department of Human Services.

He says the disease, once known as the Black Death got somewhat of a bad rap after killing off a third of Europe’s population in the 1300s.

But he says thanks to scientific advances, it’s no longer a death sentence.

Emilio DeBess: “It’s a very treatable condition with antibiotics and so that’s usually not a concern, back then they didn’t have antibiotics. We do have very good antibiotics that treat the infection.”

Health officials have not released the name of the Lake County woman who fell ill at the end of August.

DeBess says authorities are now trying to determine the source of the infection.

Hey, pssst! "Euros" are money. You "Dollars" should finally get that through your thick skulls.

Euro's as in "Europeans".....Perhaps you'd perfer that we call you lot simply "Peans"? Or "peons?"

Well no kidding and duh... That's not the point. I think I'll start calling you "Cans"; then I can be just as lazy as you in my posting.

Europeans have for many years called us "Yanks" (and by that I mean other countries beside the UK). But If the abreviation bothers you, I'll certainly stop using it. I certainly never meant to give offense, and I'm most sorry if I did.

reminds me of the semi-nazi-ish fraternity brothers i had in college...if one of us newbies carelessly referred to our organization as a "frat" instead of fraternity, the response was invariably, "it's fraternity, num-nuts...what do you call your country? a <...>?"...nothing like chastising a young man's sense of nationalism to get a point across...geeez

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3332
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:22:59 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi all!

My subs perform well...

Unfortunately, my subs rarely survive meeting one of your ASW ships, while mine seem to be totally useless...

You bastard are still putting dents into the hulls of my ships. One CVL, three or four CAs and a DD all are a little slower as their hull isn't perfectly shaped any more. Some hundred kg hitting them at high speed is no good for the shape

Maybe a few more dents in the hulls from dud torps will make them faster, like the dimples on a golf ball.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3333
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:23:54 PM   
Kwik E Mart

oh, yeah...post monday night football hangover tithe...i think tom brady is the anti-christ......or maybe it's bilichick...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 3334
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:24:53 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hi all!

My subs perform well...

Maybe a few more dents in the hulls from dud torps will make them faster, like the dimples on a golf ball.

nah....just slice or hook...

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3335
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 7:40:50 PM   
Historiker

quote:

Europeans have for many years called us "Yanks" (and by that I mean other countries beside the UK). But If the abreviation bothers you, I'll certainly stop using it. I certainly never meant to give offense, and I'm most sorry if I did.

Why should anybody be insulted? Its not the words that insult, its the way they are ment...

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3336
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 8:33:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Why should anybody be insulted? Its not the words that insult, its the way they are ment...

Words have great power in our world (if magic ever did exist , it was in the power of words). Sometimes, like all powerfull things, they get out of control and can be destructive. If I get drunk and hit someone with my car, I didn't mean to hurt them, but I did none the less. And I would still be responsible. And if I inadvertantly offend someone, I'll let them be the judges of if the words are offensive or not. I'll apologize and not use the words again. If you recall, we went around about this ourselves a year or so ago. I still belive that it's up to the offended party to be the judge on wether or not he's offended. NOT the one doing the offending.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3337
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 8:54:29 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

He says the disease, once known as the Black Death got somewhat of a bad rap after killing off a third of Europe’s population in the 1300s.

Whoever said that MUST be British. I love the understatement.

Yes, the Bubonic Plague got a bad rap. And Hitler was a bit of a bastard. Napolean was a little scamp...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3338
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 8:57:49 PM   
Dixie

quote:

You started it with the Limeys tag

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3339
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 9:18:24 PM   
USSAmerica

Parole - Tithe. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3340
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 9:27:52 PM   
Grollub

Good night friends

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3341
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 9:42:07 PM   
radar

Another international incident due to miscommunication. Why can't we all just get along? Why, why, why!?
(This bit of theatrics brought to you by the Worldwide Council to Stamp Out Thin Skin Syndrome.)

USS Terry (DD-513) — Battle of the Atlantic, Solomon and Marianas Islands campaigns and the Battle of Iwo Jima

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3342
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 9:54:27 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Words have great power in our world (if magic ever did exist , it was in the power of words). Sometimes, like all powerfull things, they get out of control and can be destructive. If I get drunk and hit someone with my car, I didn't mean to hurt them, but I did none the less. And I would still be responsible. And if I inadvertantly offend someone, I'll let them be the judges of if the words are offensive or not. I'll apologize and not use the words again. If you recall, we went around about this ourselves a year or so ago. I still belive that it's up to the offended party to be the judge on wether or not he's offended. NOT the one doing the offending.

I'm European, and I can say I'm not offended, not even slightly.
Neither is the word "Euros" offensive, nore would anyone sane think that you intended to offend...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3343
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:19:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

quote:

quote:

There's quite a bit of unexplained discrepancies between the descriptions of the Black Death and our knowledge of bubonic plague. Enough that I quite doubt the Black Death was plague. All the arguments against them seem to boil down to 'the medievals were too stupid to describe what they were seeing correctly'.

If not plague, then what? The descriptions of symptoms seem quite consisent to me.

Got me. I'm no pathologist. But the rate of spread is way faster than bubonic plague. It's also possible it was a different form of the plague bacteria with different symptoms. We probably just don't know what it was in the end.

Well, pneumonic plague (caused by Yersinia pestis too) is a much nastier form of the disease (and more deadly) than the classic "bubos" that form with bubonic plague. You can have either form manifest in a population. Mercifully, the pneumonic form is less common.

As an aside, my wife lived most of her life in New Mexico. Since most of the plague cases in the US historically are in the 'four corners' area of the country, the (unofficial) state motto is "New Mexico: Land of the flea, home of the plague."

It didn't catch on with the state marketing board.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3344
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:20:05 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't believe that the 'bad rap' (note quote by Oregon epidemiologist ) you Euros put on this innocent little pathogen has lasted for so long...

I'm going to hazard a guess that the origin of the infection was a rat flea? Call it a hunch.

State health officials say a woman in Lake County has been diagnosed with bubonic plague.

It’s the first diagnosis in Oregon in 15 years. The disease terrorized Europe’s population more than 600 years ago, but the plague is treatable when caught early.

The plague is extremely rare these days. It’s a bacterial infection carried by rodents, and is transmitted to humans though fleas.

Dr. Emilio DeBess is the public health veterinarian and an epidemiologist with Oregon Department of Human Services.

But he says thanks to scientific advances, it’s no longer a death sentence.

Emilio DeBess: “It’s a very treatable condition with antibiotics and so that’s usually not a concern, back then they didn’t have antibiotics. We do have very good antibiotics that treat the infection.”

Health officials have not released the name of the Lake County woman who fell ill at the end of August.

DeBess says authorities are now trying to determine the source of the infection.

Hey, pssst! "Euros" are money. You "Dollars" should finally get that through your thick skulls.

Euro's as in "Europeans".....Perhaps you'd perfer that we call you lot simply "Peans"? Or "peons?"

Well no kidding and duh... That's not the point. I think I'll start calling you "Cans"; then I can be just as lazy as you in my posting.

Alright, E. What up, yo?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3345
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:31:33 PM   
Mynok

quote:

Well, pneumonic plague (caused by Yersinia pestis too) is a much nastier form of the disease (and more deadly) than the classic "bubos" that form with bubonic plague. You can have either form manifest in a population. Mercifully, the pneumonic form is less common.

Yes, this one is a good candidate based on the reports of described symptoms of 'Black Death'. The one catch seems to be the lack of an explanation for the rapidness of contagion.

Don't know why I find this fascinating. Yes I do...I'm Martian.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3346
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:32:39 PM   
Chickenboy

The Canadian folk humor group, "The Arrogant Worms" has really good stuff. One of their songs, "I am not American", is an almost but not quite offensive balancing act pointing out that not all Americans reside in the boundaries of The United States of America. In their eyes, "Americans" refers to anyone in any nation residing in the Americas-North or South.

Interesting point. Probably technically right. If you think about it, Vespucci really scored big on that one-getting two CONTINENTS named after him. Beats the heck out of a crummy province, state or city naming rights.

To their credit though, the Arrogant Worms do point out that alternative names, such as "USA'ers and United Statesians" are pretty lame. So common useage of "American", as ingrained as it is and as slang as it is probably not worth fighting.

So, if I had thin skin, I could probably ask to be referred to as "A nationalized resident of The United States of America". Pretty clunky tag. 'American' or 'Yank' is fine too, provided we're not going to get hung up on formalities.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3347
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:40:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Yes, this one is a good candidate based on the reports of described symptoms of 'Black Death'. The one catch seems to be the lack of an explanation for the rapidness of contagion.

Yeah, it is an interesting disease to study.

Kind of an acid test for if you have a crappy public health system. Question #1: Do you have rampant endemic Bubonic Plague in the 21st century?

According to CDC, 2002-2003 was a pretty rough year globally for plague. 95% of the cases were confined to 5 countries, mostly in central Africa. India has had recent flareups of pneumonic plague, as had Bangladesh too. Something like 1500 deaths that year alone. It particularly a shame because the disease is readily treated with Penicillin.

Anyways, pneumonic plague is much more readily transmissible than bubonic plague per se.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 10/5/2010 10:45:58 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3348
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:44:03 PM   
BrucePowers

Being from New York, living in Florida I get called a #$%^ yankee occasionally.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3349
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:45:14 PM   
BrucePowers

Dinnertime

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3350
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:46:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

You're not still hung up about your invasion force dying from the common cold ala "War of the Worlds" are you? Just face it: you guys are just immunological lightweights.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3351
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:48:04 PM   
Mynok

Sure, but we can handle climates bacteria can't.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3352
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 10:51:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

No, I think it's that you finally found a place to run and hide where the BIG BAD bacteria aren't gonna get ya.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3353
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:08:42 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm European, and I can say I'm not offended, not even slightly.
Neither is the word "Euros" offensive, nore would anyone sane think that you intended to offend...

Nice to know, but it is T's call.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3354
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:10:17 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

No, I think it's that you finally found a place to run and hide where the BIG BAD bacteria aren't gonna get ya.

Isn't that what I just said?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3355
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:11:05 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Being from New York, living in Florida I get called a #$%^ yankee occasionally.

Don't feel bad. Last week in Portland Maine, a women with a very thick NYC accent asked me where I was from. Just to be obnouxious I said Maine , then asked where she was from. She said Maine. She'd been there a whole year!

Post #: 3356
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:22:13 PM   
BrucePowers

The pnuemonia bacteria keeps getting me

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3357
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:22:51 PM   
BrucePowers

I think we are almost to a new page

Post #: 3358
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:23:22 PM   
BrucePowers

Let's checkout my theory........

Post #: 3359
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:23:47 PM   
BrucePowers

After this one, I think....

Post #: 3360
Page:   <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  110 111 [112] 113 114   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI