Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

unhandled exception

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> unhandled exception Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
unhandled exception - 10/2/2010 3:27:56 AM   
thrud

jsut installed the game (digital download) v. 1.0.6.0 and recieve an unhandled exception error when launching the game. uploaded my dxdiag file as eric exception error 10-1-10.txt

Any advice is appreciated. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with my AV disabled and still recieve the error.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: unhandled exception - 10/2/2010 7:18:27 AM   
ehsumrell1

thrud:

Is your .NET Framework and DirectX software up-to date along with your video and audio drivers?
I've noted that correcting these usually solves the problems I had.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 2
RE: unhandled exception - 10/2/2010 4:19:18 PM   
hadberz

Your video and sound drivers are old. Updating them should solve the crash.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 3
RE: unhandled exception - 10/5/2010 2:15:31 AM   
luke.h

quote:

ORIGINAL: thrud

jsut installed the game (digital download) v. 1.0.6.0 and recieve an unhandled exception error when launching the game. uploaded my dxdiag file as eric exception error 10-1-10.txt

Any advice is appreciated. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with my AV disabled and still recieve the error.

Thanks

Hi thrud,

Have you overcome this problem?
Let us know the details if you ate still having an issue with launching DW.

Luke @ CodeForce

http://www.codeforce.co.nz/

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 4
RE: unhandled exception - 10/9/2010 10:49:33 PM   
emerson

I also have an unhandled exception at startup. Have the most up to date .Net, directX, video and audio drivers. still doesn't work.

(in reply to luke.h)
Post #: 5
RE: unhandled exception - 10/10/2010 12:56:06 AM   
ehsumrell1

Try uninstalling DW completely using Add/Remove Programs. Then re-install DW,
and even though you have the latest upgraded .NET Framework and DirectX, leave
both boxes to install them checked anyway. I've done this and it helped me.
If that doesn't work, create and upload your DXDiag file to the forum (instructions
are posted on the forum here concerning this) then Erik or someone can look at it
and help you from there.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to emerson)
Post #: 6
RE: unhandled exception - 10/10/2010 2:32:05 AM   
emerson

Thank you, but I tried all that. I've uploaded my DxDiag so hopefully we can get it to run; I'd hate to have to get a refund after hearing how fun this game is to play...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: unhandled exception - 10/14/2010 4:28:27 AM   
hwsf

I've posted earlier in a different thread about the same issue but didn't manage to get a screenshot of the error message or the dxdiag file uploaded. I've tried all the fixes that have been discussed in the various threads (uninstall/reinstall DW, install DW on different drive, reinstall DirectX/.NET) but no success. Here is the error message I'm receiving every time I try to launch DW.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to emerson)
Post #: 8
RE: unhandled exception - 10/14/2010 4:31:36 AM   
hwsf

Here is the corresponding DXDiag file that goes with the error message (since you can only upload 1 file per post). Any help getting this game launched would be greatly appreciated.

< Message edited by hwsf -- 10/22/2010 4:51:12 AM >

(in reply to hwsf)
Post #: 9
RE: unhandled exception - 10/14/2010 4:37:43 AM   
thrud

my problems are resolved...i had to delete the distant worlds folder from my c: after I uninstalled the game the first time.

(in reply to hwsf)
Post #: 10
RE: unhandled exception - 10/14/2010 4:57:50 AM   
hwsf

Deleting the DW folder did not work for me unfortunately. Here are the steps I followed:

- Uninstall DW
- Delete remaining DW folder (I also looked for temporary files under user\appdata\roaming but didn't see anything related to DW
- Reinstall 1.02 (the downloadable version I bought), keep .NET and DirectX 9.0c checked during installation
- Install patch 1.06
- Start program (result: error msg. above)

(in reply to thrud)
Post #: 11
RE: unhandled exception - 10/16/2010 6:08:06 AM   
emerson

OK I"M PISSED! Did all that. Up-loaded my DxDiag txt a week ago and I have heard nothing back. I have a message asking someone to look into my problem... So I look at the Matrix site to review the return policy and low behold... all sales final... I just saw fifty dollars disappear from account for a game that should but doesn't work (my computer more than meets the specs, and I'll up-load my DxDiag to prove it here even though the stickies conviently say not to do that...). Over the years I've spent hundreds of dollars with Matrix and enjoy many games they released... Hell, I paid like 100 dollars for BFTB it's release day. I WANT MY MONEY BACK OR TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM not that it's been done in a timely manner.

(in reply to hwsf)
Post #: 12
RE: unhandled exception - 10/16/2010 10:38:29 AM   
BigWolfChris

Post your DXDiag anyway

Edit: Actually, the sticky doesnt say you can't upload it, not sure where you read it?

< Message edited by BigWolf -- 10/16/2010 10:42:27 AM >

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to emerson)
Post #: 13
RE: unhandled exception - 10/16/2010 5:35:02 PM   
hwsf

I have to agree with emerson that the experience with Distant Worlds has been less than stellar to say the least.

Jumped through infinite hoops to try and get this thing to run with no success. This is literally the only game I've ever bought that truly would not run no matter what. I would really appreciate some guidance from Tech Support here as to what the nature of the issue is and whether there is a chance that a future patch might address it or if there is another way to resolve it that is more machine-specific.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 14
RE: unhandled exception - 10/23/2010 12:23:29 AM   
hwsf

I actually found the solution for my problem in a totally unrelated thread. Yay!

I had uninstalled Windows Media Player 12 and replaced it with VLC, since WMP's library function is fundamentally broken (IMHO). Distant World's dependency on WMP was not something that I had been aware of (maybe I missed it in the system requirements but I don't remember seeing it there). Anyway, after reinstalling WMP, Distant Worlds installed correctly. Have not yet experienced any crashes or other issues but also haven't spent much time with the game.

Now I just need to make sure is that I don't accidentally launch WMP and send it into its usual "update library" death spiral...

(in reply to hwsf)
Post #: 15
RE: unhandled exception - 10/28/2010 5:46:23 AM   
RobertMc

Matrix Gentlemen, I too am having this 'unhandled exception' problem and all sorts of strange verbiage pops up in a box when I attempt to run Distant Worlds. Now...I am a longtime Matrix game player and devotee, but I have to say I have had enough of this. I downloaded the game last night and also bought the box version, but I want to return it and either get my money back or have a substitute game sent to me.

The reason being: I have no problem with a game wanting to put on a new .NET configuration or upgrade whatever needs to be upgraded...as long as those upgrades are IN THE GAME I HAVE PURCHASED. Asking, or requiring, me to go driver-hunting and make changes to a system that is already working to my complete satisfaction is asking and requiring too much. I want to play Distant Worlds, but nowhere in any advertising or any document--as far as I can tell--is a statement telling me that I might have to upgrade drivers in order to play this game.

I won't do it. It's beyond the pale to expect me to do it.

So, Matrix Gentlemen, may I send you the game back with a letter telling you which game of the same monetary value I would like to be sent in exchange?

(in reply to hwsf)
Post #: 16
RE: unhandled exception - 10/28/2010 1:02:09 PM   
Igard

RobertMc, sorry to hear you're having problems. The option to install the .NET framework should be at the end of the installation process.

As for updating drivers, this is a requirment for many PC games these days. Usually windows update should have it listed as a 'recommended' update. That's the easiest way to install the latest driver. Or you can visit the manufacturer's website. I've never had a problem updating a graphics or sound driver in my life, they always improve performance.

If you need help, let us know.

(in reply to RobertMc)
Post #: 17
RE: unhandled exception - 10/28/2010 7:47:10 PM   
RobertMc

Thank you, Igard, for your comments and suggestions but I feel you're missing the point.

The point being: no one should HAVE to go rummaging in their system to change drivers or whatever for a game to run. Everything that needs to be changed or upgraded should be on the disk. It should be a painless proposition, which is certainly--at least currently for me--not the case.

The idea that players should be accustomed to the reality that they must go into their systems and change things around for a game to run is what has crippled the PC game industry and driven scores of players to the consoles. My system is working great and I do use it for work. What if changing things in my system causes a glitch with something else? So I've 'messed things up' in my working environment for a game?

No.

My intention is to return the boxed version of Distant Worlds to wherever it comes from--since Matrix Games has been successful in keeping their mailing address hidden and also in using their customers to speak for them on issues they themselves should be facing and dealing with--and asking for the substitution of one of the add-on Field of Glory games, which runs just fine on my rig without the precarious reality of jumping through dangerous hoops.

But I do thank you for your sincere comments.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 18
RE: unhandled exception - 10/28/2010 9:41:39 PM   
Igard

I feel it's part and parcel of being a PC gamer these days.

I do understand your position on this though. I used to use my home PC for work and was always very hesitant to make changes. To this day, I still refuse to use automatic windows updates.

(in reply to RobertMc)
Post #: 19
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 4:12:47 AM   
RobertMc

Hello all, and if any Matrix Gentlemen are reading this, hello to you as well.

Okay...sent back the unopened physical version of 'Distant Worlds' to the only Matrix Game address I could find on the web. Asked that my game, since I am 100 percent positive it will not run on my computer as the downloaded version will not run, be replaced with the physical version of Field of Glory--Rise of Rome.

The package was returned to me today, with the notation that Matrix Games moved from this Staten Island address two years ago and left no forwarding address.

Matrix Gentlemen, I happen to fortunately be wealthy. I am planning a trip to Staten Island and I will hire a detective to find your office. I will deliver this package in person, sometime within the next two months. The only thing I dislike more than a faulty computer game is cowardice, which Matrix Games demonstrates in spades.

I will see you gentlemen later.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 20
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 4:32:00 AM   
RobertMc

Quick work there, Matrix Gentlemen. I'm presuming the Richmond Avenue address is current? May I mail this package to you, get a physical copy of Field of Glory--Rise of Rome in exchange, let's be friends again and go on from here? Or not?

(in reply to RobertMc)
Post #: 21
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 10:15:57 AM   
oxenshtrudel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I do understand your position on this though. I used to use my home PC for work and was always very hesitant to make changes. To this day, I still refuse to use automatic windows updates.

Hm, not so sure that's a good strategy. Without automatic updates you are most likely vulnerable to malicious software like viruses and trojans.

When it comes to drivers all PC games I have come across requires you to download the most recent ones. The problem might be driver related. If so it's probable that a newer version fixes the problem. If you make a restore-point before installing the driver you can rollback to the old driver if the newer causes problems.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 22
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 12:06:54 PM   
Igard

Sufficient anti-virus software is all you need. Since I stopped using automatic windows updates (about 5 years now), I've had no problems. It crippled my computer once when I had it set to automatic, so now, I always check every couple of months and only install updates that I think are necessary.

(in reply to oxenshtrudel)
Post #: 23
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 1:53:30 PM   
oxenshtrudel

I wouldn't trust anti-virus alone but if you are running on fire-walled network and only surf on safe sites you will probably be ok. It usually takes a bit of time for new virus-profiles to get into the anti-virus software so you are vulnerable for new malicious programs that exploit old vulnerabilities.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 24
RE: unhandled exception - 11/10/2010 5:04:26 PM   
GJ Selby

quote:

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Hm, not so sure that's a good strategy. Without automatic updates you are most likely vulnerable to malicious software like viruses and trojans.

When it comes to drivers all PC games I have come across requires you to download the most recent ones. The problem might be driver related. If so it's probable that a newer version fixes the problem. If you make a restore-point before installing the driver you can rollback to the old driver if the newer causes problems.

System Restore function is misunderstood by most people.
It will only go back on certain file types and configuration settings. Programs and drivers are two types among others that the go back function will not work. When I say programs I am not refering to a application foulder, but of certain file types within the foulder. For example. The exe file. The go back function will not remove it

< Message edited by GJ Selby -- 11/10/2010 5:05:58 PM >

(in reply to oxenshtrudel)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> unhandled exception Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI