Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 7/27/2010 6:03:09 PM   
kool_kat

Gents:

I purchased both the digital download and physical shipment... installed the game... and patched it up to v.1.82. Read through the manual once... and played some with the tutorial.

Intitial Impressions

Pros: Turn-based game, Revolutionary time period (not many games model this time period), gorgeous hex mapboard of the eastern "colonies" extending from Canada to the Deep South... and west to the mountains. Nice blend of tactical / strategic decisions with managing armies, raising troops, recruiting leaders, combat, economics, supply, sea transport, etc. ...colorful military icons depicting period uniforms, nice leader portraits, simple to more complex rule options.

Cons: Graphics fine for 2D (not a show stopper in my opinion), sound effects adequate, no ability to save during a turn - can only save at end of your turn... so players need to ensure they block in enough gaming time to complete their turn in a single setting.

I was a big fan of Avalon Hill's 1776 boardgame... and For Liberty plays very much like an electronic version of 1776! Ability to construct forts and trenches... different unit types like dragoons, militia, rifles, indians, cannons... supply rules... raising troops, etc. For Liberty has it all!

So... my initial impressions are very favorable... So far, I have found it to be a fairly easy learning curve. I played my American Turn #1... consulted the manual as needed... and tried to replicate some of my tactical decisions made in 1776. I'll see how it works out... but at least I have some general idea of what I am trying to accomplish as the American.

< Message edited by mwest -- 8/25/2010 5:24:57 PM >

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Post #: 1
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 8/1/2010 9:52:33 PM   
sapper32

Great to see this one being played keep us posted on how things go im a fan of this time period cheers Ian

(in reply to kool_kat)
Post #: 2
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 8/2/2010 12:48:04 PM   
kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Great to see this one being played keep us posted on how things go im a fan of this time period cheers Ian

Ian - Would you be interested in starting a For Liberty? PBeM match with me? Since you live on the "other side of the pond" from me... it would be appropriate for you to assume command of the British forces? Please contact me via email... and let me know your intentions.

Have a pint on me!

< Message edited by mwest -- 8/12/2010 6:09:38 PM >

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 3
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 8/2/2010 4:35:47 PM   
sapper32

Unfortunatly i dont own the game,im assuming its unavailable from matrix now the links provided dont seem to work,i found the game on another site based in the US but with the postage added in it came to a price that i was unwilling to pay,On the bright side i got Birth of America for £10 from Matrix instead so im enjoying learning that against the AI at the moment.

Regards Ian

(in reply to kool_kat)
Post #: 4
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 8/3/2010 12:10:27 AM   
kool_kat

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Unfortunatly i dont own the game,im assuming its unavailable from matrix now the links provided dont seem to work,i found the game on another site based in the US but with the postage added in it came to a price that i was unwilling to pay,On the bright side i got Birth of America for £10 from Matrix instead so im enjoying learning that against the AI at the moment.

Regards Ian

Interesting? I just ordered the game less then 2 weeks ago - no problems on the Matrix Website. I also just tried to order it (August 2nd) and the ordering system appears to be operating correctly? I was able to load the game into my shopping cart. I did not confirm or further process my “test” order. Maybe something wrong with your connectivity?

< Message edited by mwest -- 8/3/2010 12:33:52 PM >

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 5
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 8/3/2010 12:16:11 AM   
kool_kat

--

< Message edited by mwest -- 8/3/2010 12:32:47 PM >

Regards, - Mike

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 6
RE: Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions - 10/20/2010 6:22:25 PM   
HussarGames

quote:

no ability to save during a turn - can only save at end of your turn.

You can save during a turn, but not in PBEM.

(in reply to kool_kat)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Age of Muskets] >> For Liberty! & 1848 >> Newbie For Liberty! Player - Initial Impressions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI