Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Lost Fleet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Lost Fleet Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/17/2010 11:40:00 AM   
nelmsm1

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Actually, I would argue that the Lost Fleet Series is far superior to the Honor Harrington universe.

The only reason John Geary is such a great genius is that he had the sheer luck to survive through a century of cold sleep while both sides battered each other to death in a unwinnable war.

At first, the level of quality of the men involved was pretty good; but soon the pressures of war forced a lowering of standards; and then multiply that by a few decades of non stop war; and people get just enough training to be useful before they're put out onto the battlefield.

Geary on the other hand was trained in the pre-war navy, when they had enough time to take their time with each officer and train them to deal with the complex realities of having to handle warships moving at point one light, and also time lag imposed by speed of light communications and sensors.

So when he was revived in the 'future', he had knowledge of a way of war that was all but lost by the relentless lowering of standards to meet cadre requirements for the next group of warships commissioning to replace battle losses.

As a bonus, there are no damned treecats.

I'm on the second Honor book and I think the treecat just became my favorite.

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 31
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/19/2010 6:05:50 AM   
martok

quote:

Actually, I would argue that the Lost Fleet Series is far superior to the Honor Harrington universe.

Blasphemer! Burn the heretic!

Actually, that's not fair of me, as I've not yet gotten around to reading the Lost Fleet books. I do really enjoy Weber's writing, though, and his Honorverse novels remain the best example of it.

quote:

As a bonus, there are no damned treecats.

What's wrong with treecats? I think they're one of the more interesting alien races I've seen in sci-fi. (Nimitz rules!)

< Message edited by martok -- 8/21/2010 8:18:20 PM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 32
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/20/2010 3:11:00 AM   
RedArgo

I think I like the Honor Harrington books better, just because you get to know a lot more characters. In Lost Fleet you only see what Geary sees so there aren't too many characters you even meet and you never know what they are thinking unless they tell Geary. That being said I just started the third Lost Fleet book and I plan to read the rest. Both series are worth reading.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 33
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/21/2010 6:41:20 PM   
Brigz

Just finished the first book of The Lost Fleet. I liked it. The space combat was well done but I enjoyed the "study in command" aspect better. I'd comment more about the space combat but don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read it yet. Couldn't help think of Battlestar Galactica as I read it, but I've only seen a few episodes of BG so I can't really compare the two. The setting and circumstance of Black Jack Geary was a clever approach. There was enough "cliffhanger" to make me want to at least read the next volume. If that's written as well or better I'll probably read the entire series.

But first I have to read the last book in Conn Iggulden's "Emperor" series. I HIGHLY recommend these historical-fiction books about Julius Caesar and his rise to power. Once you start reading them you can't put them down.

Thanks again Rhonda for the tip on The Last Fleet series.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 34
Another Recommendation - 8/30/2010 5:28:17 AM   
rhondabrwn

My Kindle addiction strikes again

Now I'm hooked on Taylor Anderson's "Destroyerman" series about a couple of WWI era 4 stacker destroyers running through a dimensional rift during the early days of World War II. They end up in an alternative world of intelligent reptilian and Lemur-like people who are in a struggle to the death. The arrival of the old destroyers who side with the mammals ("Cats") against the reptillian Grik's and begin to introduce new technologies into this alternative world makes for one fascinating series. Lots of authentic military details about life on a destroyer and some incredible land and naval battles makes this series very appealing to a wargamer (or to someone like me who always has loved a "survival" story of people rebuilding a world from raw scratch using their knowledge and wits).

Gotta recommend this one too, guys! It's up to four books with the 5th due next February. I'm half way through book three and biting my nails off with the suspense of the plotline. The author also communicates with his fans and discusses issues and details of the books and seems like quite an interesting person. He's another ex-military man who knows his stuff!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 35
RE: Another Recommendation - 8/30/2010 8:47:32 AM   
PunkReaper

whoa slow down... just got Lost Fleet from Amazon...... feeling under pressure

< Message edited by Punk Reaper -- 8/30/2010 8:48:01 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 36
RE: Another Recommendation - 8/30/2010 11:57:58 AM   
nelmsm1

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Now I'm hooked on Taylor Anderson's "Destroyerman" series about a couple of WWI era 4 stacker destroyers running through a dimensional rift during the early days of World War II. They end up in an alternative world of intelligent reptilian and Lemur-like people who are in a struggle to the death. The arrival of the old destroyers who side with the mammals ("Cats") against the reptillian Grik's and begin to introduce new technologies into this alternative world makes for one fascinating series. Lots of authentic military details about life on a destroyer and some incredible land and naval battles makes this series very appealing to a wargamer (or to someone like me who always has loved a "survival" story of people rebuilding a world from raw scratch using their knowledge and wits).

Gotta recommend this one too, guys! It's up to four books with the 5th due next February. I'm half way through book three and biting my nails off with the suspense of the plotline. The author also communicates with his fans and discusses issues and details of the books and seems like quite an interesting person. He's another ex-military man who knows his stuff!

I've got the sample of the first one already waiting for me to find time to give it a read.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 37
RE: Another Recommendation - 8/31/2010 4:37:05 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

whoa slow down... just got Lost Fleet from Amazon...... feeling under pressure

Since I got that Kindle I've read more books in three months than I have in the last 20 years! I can't seem to put it down. It's so fast and easy to download a new book... the ultimate instant gratification toy!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 38
RE: The Lost Fleet - 8/31/2010 6:47:30 PM   
sysrkm

quote:

Having a rainy day in Pinon as the monsoon rains continue to hit us in earnest. I made a run to Flagstaff through the mud last Sunday to bring back one of our teachers who had come back from Wisconsin and had no transportation. The trip there and back took about 11 hours and close to two tanks of gas to finally find a way back to Pinon through washed out roads and culverts and just near impassable mud and sand. It was quite an experience but my new Ford Escape proved to be a very capable mud SUV. It was still nerve wracking to drive that length of time while constantly being on the edge of spinning into a ditch. Passed many a car or truck stranded in the muck but you can't stop to even try to help as you'll never get going again.

School is supposed to start on Monday, but I suspect we'll begin the year with a Mud Day unless we get a sunny day tomorrow (which isn't the forecast).

I still just love it out here though

Hi Rhonda,

Good to hear from you again. You must have a TON of patience to do what you do, I tip my hat.

As for the mud, I have a one word answer: HOVERCRAFT

<ducking and running>

Seriously, I'm going to go to the book store this weekend and look for the Lost Fleet Series. I have a three day weekend coming and I intend to enjoy it THOROUGHLY and new books would fit that bill nicely.

Go carefully,

Rob

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 39
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/5/2010 2:38:15 PM   
RedArgo

I finished The Lost Fleet series this morning. I thought it was a good read and I'm looking forward to the next series of books.

As Rhonda said on the first post of this thread, I think this could make a good space combat game, although I would see it more as a Rules of Engagement type game where you command a fleet from one ship. You would have to deal with the time delays from dealing with light speed communications across millions of miles of space. You might only have direct control of the ships very near you and the other ships in your fleet would just be given orders and left on their own to execute them.

There were lots of instances in the books where a battle would take place the Geary was watching that actually happened hours before. There might be some interesting tactical decisions to make when your information is old. Even a few minutes old could make a big difference if you turned the wrong way, because your picture of the battle is out of date.

(in reply to sysrkm)
Post #: 40
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/7/2010 10:49:58 AM   
RyanCrierie

quote:

It's so fast and easy to download a new book... the ultimate instant gratification toy!

I can attest to this.

Last week; I was pretty sick; it seems like I came down with a very bad cold / sore throat / light flu at the same time. So to pass time in bed, I re-read the Clone series by Stephen L. Kent.

Anyway, I finished up the last book that I had; and then wondered -- hey, isn't it about time for another book in the series to be released judging from the date on the last book (2007)?

So I had my kindle connect to my wifi network; searched the author's name, and found the next book in the series. Downloaded it and read it; without having to get my clothes on or drive to the store.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 41
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/8/2010 11:19:27 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

It's so fast and easy to download a new book... the ultimate instant gratification toy!

I can attest to this.

Last week; I was pretty sick; it seems like I came down with a very bad cold / sore throat / light flu at the same time. So to pass time in bed, I re-read the Clone series by Stephen L. Kent.

Anyway, I finished up the last book that I had; and then wondered -- hey, isn't it about time for another book in the series to be released judging from the date on the last book (2007)?

So I had my kindle connect to my wifi network; searched the author's name, and found the next book in the series. Downloaded it and read it; without having to get my clothes on or drive to the store.

Haha... I finish a book at 3am and quickly download the next one in the series... and I'm into about a dozen series now! Last night I stumbled upon a Sci-Fi series on Amazon which is available in e-book only - apparently self-published(?).

Title: A Galaxy Unknown (A Galaxy Unknown - Book 1)
Author: Thomas DePrima
Category: eBooks

There are three books in the series and the reviews were pretty decent. A couple of reviewers compared it favorably to "The Lost Fleet" for it's realism in space battles. I just started the 1st book and the first few chapters flowed pretty well and got my interest up (though they were really just backstory to build up the "universe").

Kindle... gotta love it!

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Post #: 42
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/8/2010 11:39:22 PM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

I finished The Lost Fleet series this morning. I thought it was a good read and I'm looking forward to the next series of books.

As Rhonda said on the first post of this thread, I think this could make a good space combat game, although I would see it more as a Rules of Engagement type game where you command a fleet from one ship. You would have to deal with the time delays from dealing with light speed communications across millions of miles of space. You might only have direct control of the ships very near you and the other ships in your fleet would just be given orders and left on their own to execute them.

There were lots of instances in the books where a battle would take place the Geary was watching that actually happened hours before. There might be some interesting tactical decisions to make when your information is old. Even a few minutes old could make a big difference if you turned the wrong way, because your picture of the battle is out of date.

Exactly! The realistic time effects in trying to command a fleet seems unique to this series and I've never seen a space game that took this into effect.

This got me thinking of another science fiction novel that I read decades ago (can't remember the author or title). In this novel, there is an interstellar war going on but it takes fleets decades or centuries to travel to their targets (though the crews experience only a few weeks or months as they travel). So, they strike their targets, return to base and everyone they know has been dead for a century or more. When the war ends the battles continue for centuries as enroute strike forces complete their missions, unaware of the peace (thinking of the Battle of New Orleans in 1815 as an earthbound example of time delay and slow communications). They return to base to find a graveyard of mothballed ships and a skeleton crew to welcome them back and tell them "the war's over... thanks for your service... go back to Earth and try to pick up the pieces of a life".

Anyway, can anyone remember this novel and provide an author or title? I think I'd like to dig it up and read it again.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to RedArgo)
Post #: 43
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/14/2010 9:35:00 PM   
RocketMan

The Lost Fleet books are my favorite all time science fiction series. I have read the series more times than I want to admit. The last book (Victorious) was a little disappointing, but only in comparison to the first book (Dauntless) which is absolute genius. I also read some of the authors other work, written under his real name John G. Hemry and they were OK but not even in the same league with the Lost Fleet.

If you haven't read the Lost Fleet series and like science fiction, I highly recommend them!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 44
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/14/2010 10:53:47 PM   
wodin

I read and enjoyed the Forever War series..though Sci Fi isn't really my thing at all...I would be interested in a military sci fi novel that has some realism about it though...I shall check them out at Amazon.

Checking them out now...there are so many Sci Fi authors out there I wouldn't know hwere to start...Ian Douglas books seem to be well reviewed I notice...so does Taylor Anderson

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/14/2010 10:59:33 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/14/2010 11:10:57 PM   
RocketMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I read and enjoyed the Forever War series..though Sci Fi isn't really my thing at all...I would be interested in a military sci fi novel that has some realism about it though...I shall check them out at Amazon.

Checking them out now...there are so many Sci Fi authors out there I wouldn't know hwere to start...Ian Douglas books seem to be well reviewed I notice...so does Taylor Anderson

I didn't like The Forever War much. It was probably good for it's day but it hasn't held up well in my opinion.

Ian Douglas is a better than average writer. I read all his Heritage, Legacy and Inheritance Trilogy, which were good. I tried to read his new Star Carrier book but couldn't get into it. All the characters seemed too one dimensional.

The Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson are all excellent and well worth reading.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 46
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/15/2010 12:19:40 AM   
wodin

Will look into Taylor Anderson...not literally obviously

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 47
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/15/2010 3:55:35 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can attest to this.

Haha... I finish a book at 3am and quickly download the next one in the series... and I'm into about a dozen series now! Last night I stumbled upon a Sci-Fi series on Amazon which is available in e-book only - apparently self-published(?).

Title: A Galaxy Unknown (A Galaxy Unknown - Book 1)
Author: Thomas DePrima
Category: eBooks

There are three books in the series and the reviews were pretty decent. A couple of reviewers compared it favorably to "The Lost Fleet" for it's realism in space battles. I just started the 1st book and the first few chapters flowed pretty well and got my interest up (though they were really just backstory to build up the "universe").

Kindle... gotta love it!

UPDATE: Finished the first book in the DePrima series and couldn't download book two fast enough. It is very comparable to "The Lost Fleet" in style. My only criticism would be that the heroine is probably luckier than any human deserves as things do seem to break her way with regularity. "The Lost Fleet" had more unexpected setbacks to keep things "real". That said... I still just loved the story and reading some very exciting space battles with the bad guys getting trounced! Eager to see what the next chapter will bring. Recommended... (and priced right as well)

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 48
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/15/2010 4:23:49 AM   
RocketMan

I read A Galaxy Unknown and the sequel Valor at Vauzlee and they were both good, although like you rhondabrwn I thought the main character was a little too lucky in both of them and in the second one I thought all the secondary character's praise of her was a little over the top.

But when I was Googeling the series to remember the second books title, I noticed there is a third book in the series, The Clones of Mawcett which I just bought, so thanks for bringing the series up!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 49
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/15/2010 7:25:32 AM   
JudgeDredd

I know opinions differ - of course they do, but I was kind of intrigued with the talk of this series so decided to check them out on Amazon...the first book, Dauntless, gets a few scathing reviews -
quote:

Firstly this book lacks anything that can be described as 'character development'. The main actor John 'Black Jack' Geary, the lost war hero, is one of the shallowest characters I have ever been exposed to. He is a most obvious manifestation of the author's ego, and the character's protestations to hate the demi-god status he enjoys are at best a fig leaf the author supplies to justify his self-serving creation.
The female characters are offensively two-dimensional, cast as either 'ice maidens' who melt before Black Jack's glory or naive youngsters who worship the ground he walks on. Whilst the male characters fall into two groups also, the idiots who oppose him, or the intelligent, vaguely developed characters that defer to his greatness.
The plot has one intriguing aspect (that I shall not mention to avoid spoiling the trilogy's few minor graces) but in all other ways is a particularly bland war story, page-turner is not how I would describe this book, 'can I be bothered to turn the page' is closer to it.
The battle scenes so praised are so obsessed with the concept of 'temporal distortion' that they become a lesson in the physics of theoretical space battles and descriptions of ship formations. Battle scenes in which the Alliance (goodies) loses barely a ship whilst the Syndics (baddies, as if it even needs stating) are annihilated to the last man. The Syndics are painted purely as 'bad guys' no attempt is made to discuss their motives or paint them as even vaguely human it is a morally 'black and white' universe worthy of George W. Bush.
If this is "As good as military science fiction gets" as the inappropriately ebullient praise on the cover states, then God help military science fiction. I have bought and will read the second instalment because its there, but the third? I wouldn't waste the £3.41.

quote:

This book bears no resemblance to the review that tempted me to buying it. About half way through the book I went back and checked if it was really marketed as an 'adult' book or a 'young-adult' book, it's so poorly written and seems aimed at a much younger audience. The characters are two dimensional and the whole story reads like a rehashed version of a Horatio Hornblower type book, the physics is a band-aid to the lack of story or ideas, thrown over the top to make it seem valid as 'sci-fi'. If the book was slightly rewritten you could easily imagine it as a lost fleet story of ancient sailing vessels, with all the accompanying saturday morning tv appeal. I'm amazed Black Jack didn't have a parrot on his shoulder.

As others have said, the characterisations really do follow some limp cliches, with the villains being stupid and the good guys all loving Black. Shallow, boring and so predictable.

I see the series has been extended, i won't be buying them.

quote:

This book is really really bad. The story is unbelievably predictable. Even the space battles are unimaginative. Dialog is simple, boring, unreal and in some points ridiculous. Characters have no depth. I felt while reading the book that it was writen by a 14 year old with no deep life experiences.

Now those are only 3 reviews out of 20...but of the 20 made
6 - 5 stars
6 - 4 stars
3 - 3 stars
2 - 2 stars
3 - 1 star

I've been reading the thread with some interest because I stopped reading fiction quite some time ago - last one was a Tom Clancy book I think. Anyway, my point was I was reading with interest to the point where I was willing to have a look at these - but the reviews kind of didn't reinforce the fact that I should make my way back into the fiction genre...

Just an observation really...I'm still kind of hoping one day to be persuaded to read fiction again - but I've yet to be persuaded by others recommendations as yet.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 50
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/15/2010 7:45:34 AM   
wodin

Judge I saw these reviews aswell.....I read another good sci fi book a couple of years ago...Armor it was called....not a bad book at all....very starship troopers...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 51
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/15/2010 2:05:46 PM   
tprice

quote:

Just finished reading the entire "Lost Fleet" series by Jack Campbell and was fascinated by the space battles depicted. It was the most realistic and believable system that I have ever encountered since it accounts for the physics of starship combat when moving at 30,000 Kilometers a second including distortion of visual and sensor data of objects moving at such incredible speeds. As I was reading it, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head that this would make one heck of a space battle simulation game.

I would view it as something like "Total War in Space" with strategic movement of fleets between star systems using jump drives or the HyperNet which then drops into a tactical display within the system. Sounds a lot like the "Total War" series in concept doesn't it?

Anyone else read the series and share this vision?

If you haven't read the series and are a sci-fi buff, then I highly recommend it.

If you are game designer... think about this for a new product!

Sounds very interesting. I'll have to check it out. I love Joseph Campbels other works, I just never read this one for some reason.

< Message edited by tprice -- 10/16/2010 2:52:15 PM >

Writing a good Essay is 3% inspiration, 7% perspiration, and 90% desperation.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 52
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/18/2010 12:18:42 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

I read A Galaxy Unknown and the sequel Valor at Vauzlee and they were both good, although like you rhondabrwn I thought the main character was a little too lucky in both of them and in the second one I thought all the secondary character's praise of her was a little over the top.

But when I was Googeling the series to remember the second books title, I noticed there is a third book in the series, The Clones of Mawcett which I just bought, so thanks for bringing the series up!

Just bought that one too.. haven't started reading it yet.

"Lucky" is an understatement But think of some of the great galactic warfare novels of the past, like from Doc Smith... those were really, really unbelievable, but lots of fun.

It's a fun read though... and I think the second one was improved over his first effort, so I'm looking foreward to seeing what his 3rd outing brings.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 53
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/18/2010 12:41:08 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I know opinions differ - of course they do, but I was kind of intrigued with the talk of this series so decided to check them out on Amazon...the first book, Dauntless, gets a few scathing reviews -
quote:

Firstly this book lacks anything that can be described as 'character development'. The main actor John 'Black Jack' Geary, the lost war hero, is one of the shallowest characters I have ever been exposed to. He is a most obvious manifestation of the author's ego, and the character's protestations to hate the demi-god status he enjoys are at best a fig leaf the author supplies to justify his self-serving creation.
The female characters are offensively two-dimensional, cast as either 'ice maidens' who melt before Black Jack's glory or naive youngsters who worship the ground he walks on. Whilst the male characters fall into two groups also, the idiots who oppose him, or the intelligent, vaguely developed characters that defer to his greatness.
The plot has one intriguing aspect (that I shall not mention to avoid spoiling the trilogy's few minor graces) but in all other ways is a particularly bland war story, page-turner is not how I would describe this book, 'can I be bothered to turn the page' is closer to it.
The battle scenes so praised are so obsessed with the concept of 'temporal distortion' that they become a lesson in the physics of theoretical space battles and descriptions of ship formations. Battle scenes in which the Alliance (goodies) loses barely a ship whilst the Syndics (baddies, as if it even needs stating) are annihilated to the last man. The Syndics are painted purely as 'bad guys' no attempt is made to discuss their motives or paint them as even vaguely human it is a morally 'black and white' universe worthy of George W. Bush.
If this is "As good as military science fiction gets" as the inappropriately ebullient praise on the cover states, then God help military science fiction. I have bought and will read the second instalment because its there, but the third? I wouldn't waste the £3.41.

quote:

This book bears no resemblance to the review that tempted me to buying it. About half way through the book I went back and checked if it was really marketed as an 'adult' book or a 'young-adult' book, it's so poorly written and seems aimed at a much younger audience. The characters are two dimensional and the whole story reads like a rehashed version of a Horatio Hornblower type book, the physics is a band-aid to the lack of story or ideas, thrown over the top to make it seem valid as 'sci-fi'. If the book was slightly rewritten you could easily imagine it as a lost fleet story of ancient sailing vessels, with all the accompanying saturday morning tv appeal. I'm amazed Black Jack didn't have a parrot on his shoulder.

As others have said, the characterisations really do follow some limp cliches, with the villains being stupid and the good guys all loving Black. Shallow, boring and so predictable.

I see the series has been extended, i won't be buying them.

quote:

This book is really really bad. The story is unbelievably predictable. Even the space battles are unimaginative. Dialog is simple, boring, unreal and in some points ridiculous. Characters have no depth. I felt while reading the book that it was writen by a 14 year old with no deep life experiences.

6 - 5 stars
6 - 4 stars
3 - 3 stars
2 - 2 stars
3 - 1 star

I've been reading the thread with some interest because I stopped reading fiction quite some time ago - last one was a Tom Clancy book I think. Anyway, my point was I was reading with interest to the point where I was willing to have a look at these - but the reviews kind of didn't reinforce the fact that I should make my way back into the fiction genre...

Just an observation really...I'm still kind of hoping one day to be persuaded to read fiction again - but I've yet to be persuaded by others recommendations as yet.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, of course, but more people enjoyed than panned it. Personally, when I see a book with mixed reviews I don't let the "this won't win a HUGO" crowd dissuade me from having a very enjoyable read anyway. If it had been filled with tons of intimate personality development I probably wouldn't have liked it as much. I read it for the battles and I don't consider that a band aid for limited character development or having only a rather straightforward plot line.

Sometimes you just want a fun book that you can't put down till the last page :) I'm sorry we haven't lured you back to Sci-Fi, Judge I'd still suggest you actually read "Dauntless" instead of going by what a minority of critics have to say.

I can say that this series dragged me right back into extensive Sci-Fi reading again like I haven't done in 40 years. I've read over 30 novels since August when I got my Kindle and The Lost Fleet was one of my first new series. I downloaded a couple of new ones last night, but haven't started any of them yet.

I might offer another suggestion though. Try Kenneth Robert's epic Revolutionary War series: "Arundel",
Rabble in Arms", and "Oliver Wiswell" - if you like the period, these books are an incredibly detailed and well researched novels about the period. They have only recently come back into print (sadly, no Kindle version yet) but I bought used hard-cover versions very cheaply on Amazon this morning.

I think you'd like this as it's about as close as fiction can come to pure history. I first read them back in High School and they made a huge impact on me. There was another Robert's book called "Lydia Bailey" that I also enjoyed, but that's not available yet.

Hope we can get you back into fiction Judge, I let myself drift away from it for far too long in favor of history, business, and politics (with an emphasis on business and politics over history).

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 54
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/18/2010 1:59:20 AM   
Brigz

quote:

6 - 5 stars
6 - 4 stars
3 - 3 stars
2 - 2 stars
3 - 1 star

I'm almost done with the third volume of 'The Lost Fleet' and while it's not the best fiction I've read I find it hard to agree with those three reviews you quoted. Maybe I just enjoy a good story and don't really need the depth the author's of those reviews seem to find lacking in this series. Besides, if you take the average of those "star" ratings you get 3.5 stars... And that ain't bad. Be curious to see what you thought JD if you read just the first book.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 55
RE: Another Recommendation - 10/18/2010 2:21:06 AM   
bbmike

quote:

That plot sounds kind of like William Forstchen's Lost Regiment series. I loved that series so I'll have to check this one out!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 56
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/18/2010 7:34:20 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

6 - 5 stars
6 - 4 stars
3 - 3 stars
2 - 2 stars
3 - 1 star

I'm almost done with the third volume of 'The Lost Fleet' and while it's not the best fiction I've read I find it hard to agree with those three reviews you quoted. Maybe I just enjoy a good story and don't really need the depth the author's of those reviews seem to find lacking in this series. Besides, if you take the average of those "star" ratings you get 3.5 stars... And that ain't bad. Be curious to see what you thought JD if you read just the first book.

Well I always think reviews are subjective. Someone tried to convince me before that reviewers look at various content on varying levels - I still don't believe a reviewer can leave their own opinion at the door when reviewing for the masses...

It would be a very difficult book for me to justify getting - for a start it's non-fiction - worse, it's science fiction.....never been a big fan of that. I was a big Star Trek fan (all 10 films were played on Film 4 over the weekend and I really feel like I've been where no man has been before), but I couldn't read the books.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 57
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/18/2010 7:37:48 AM   
ilovestrategy

Reading this reminds me of the LensMan series by E.E. Doc Smith. First Sci Fi series I ever read. 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 58
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/20/2010 4:14:23 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Reading this reminds me of the LensMan series by E.E. Doc Smith. First Sci Fi series I ever read. 

I loved that series! Ole' Doc sure could spin a yarn, even if the physics of his space battles was... to put it mildly... strange.

I remember some of his books where he had fleets of 10,000 starships each forming into cones and just crashing headlong into the enemy formed into a solid wall and 5,000 ships would collide in the first instant of battle! Other times they would form "battle lines" like a naval campaign and thousands of ships would follow end to end as the battle lines blasted each other. Incredible stuff, but it was still a lot of fun! I'll have to dig into the moldy old boxes of sci-fi and find the actual titles of these. As I recall, the Lensmen series wasn't quite so wild.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 59
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/20/2010 11:40:01 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I loved that series! Ole' Doc sure could spin a yarn, even if the physics of his space battles was... to put it mildly... strange.

I remember some of his books where he had fleets of 10,000 starships each forming into cones and just crashing headlong into the enemy formed into a solid wall and 5,000 ships would collide in the first instant of battle! Other times they would form "battle lines" like a naval campaign and thousands of ships would follow end to end as the battle lines blasted each other. Incredible stuff, but it was still a lot of fun! I'll have to dig into the moldy old boxes of sci-fi and find the actual titles of these. As I recall, the Lensmen series wasn't quite so wild.

Someone besides me read them? Yay!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Lost Fleet Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI