Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A few newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A few newbie questions Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 6:16:01 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

...Don't move oil. After the DEI falls, about the only source you have is Los Angeles, and it needs what it has to make fuel. As the Allies, forget oil even exists. It's one of the few simplifying rules for the Allies.

Bullwinkle58,

As a general rule of thumb, a new player would be well served if they adopted this approach. However, in the interests of full disclosure I would just remind that it is not quite 100% accurate.

After the fall of the DEI, assuming the Japanese do not advance beyond the historical conquests, there is exactly 100% equilibrium between the Allied demand and supply of oil. Both India and USA have 100% equilibrium and therefore there is no oil surplus available for export. Australia suffers an oil deficit but ... surprise ... surprise ...(imagine my best Gomer Pyle voiceover) that exact deficit is made up by the auto oil generated at Abadan. So an Allied player who wants to maintain the Australian refineries operating at 100% can do so by importing the oil feedstock from Abadan.

Alfred

Alfred -

Just when I thought it was safe to back into the water, you teach me something new......

Very different take on oil. It has been hard as a JFB playing his first Imperialist Exploiter of the Asian Masses (Allied) game not to be immediately concerned about oil. Moose's reply to your post is illuminative also; I may just ship oil to Oz cause it's in my blood.....

Thank you for the info,

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 151
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 6:23:49 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred
As a general rule of thumb, a new player would be well served if they adopted this approach. However, in the interests of full disclosure I would just remind that it is not quite 100% accurate.

After the fall of the DEI, assuming the Japanese do not advance beyond the historical conquests, there is exactly 100% equilibrium between the Allied demand and supply of oil. Both India and USA have 100% equilibrium and therefore there is no oil surplus available for export. Australia suffers an oil deficit but ... surprise ... surprise ...(imagine my best Gomer Pyle voiceover) that exact deficit is made up by the auto oil generated at Abadan. So an Allied player who wants to maintain the Australian refineries operating at 100% can do so by importing the oil feedstock from Abadan.

Alfred

The refinery at Sydney is so small that you can keep it going for more than a year with a couple of tankers full of oil from the DEI before it collapses. However, it isn't really worth it. What you can move from Adaban and Los Angeles completely eclipses the tiny bit of fuel you can make at Sydney.
Bill

wdolson -

This does help give me a clearer picture; should I choose to ship oil to fuel Sydney's small HI base, it would be more for the "historical feel" than in the interests of necessity or efficiency.

Thank You, Sir -

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 152
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 6:30:30 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

I have a quick newbie question; submarine tenders. How do they work? Do I just park them in a harbor and that helps with sub repair/resupply or? At game start (I'm playing a short scenario) I have an AS as IJ and it's already loaded with supplies, I assume to give to the sub.

I checked the manual but it doesn't say much on this.

EDIT: remembered another one; why can't I add a midget sub to a midget sub carrier? I get an error message saying that kind of TF needs a sub and a midget sub. I have an SS and an SSX in the TF but it doesn't want to form. What am I doing wrong?

Wikingus -

Here are my notes on Japanese Midget submarines:

Only the Type C1 subs can launch Midgets, and they loose this ability following their upgrade in 08/44.

To build SSx: Base at least port size of one and w / 10000 (or more) supply
Subs in this class are;

I-16
I-18
I-20
I-22
I-24

And, IIRC, you need to choose the "Midget Sub Carrier" TF.

Hope this helps,

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 10/9/2010 6:32:33 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 153
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 6:36:00 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

All of the auxiliary ships that have a cargo capacity need to be loaded with supply to work.  So AG, AD, AS, etc. all need cargo loaded.

Bill

wdolson -

I missed the AG inclusion in this requirement, Thanks!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 154
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 6:59:45 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

I'm one of the guys who bought during the recent sale. And as recommended I'm playing Coral Sea.  I played it once and got a draw, in my second game now. Unless I'm totally missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way for me to plan and launch air strikes at the enemy. In both games my carriers attacked the Japanese and I knew nothing about it till the attack was actually in progress!

It seems strange to me that in a game famous for detail and micro-management, I seem to have zero control of how, when and where I attack the enemy! Is this true or have I, like a true green horn, completely missed something here? This seems to be the case for surface warfare as well, I put my guys in the way of the Japanese and they did clash, I did very well, but again no real control over what happened.
I'm also wondering about battle damage reports. I assume they are often wildly inaccurate?  Because otherwise I see no way those Japanese ships could still be a float!

AZ Gung Ho -

Initially, I too, could not understand this design approach - the inability to target a specific Task Force. But, as time went on and I became more experienced and familiar with the game mechanics (and read posts on the forums), it became clear that there were a multitude of factors and settings (plus a healthy element of chance) that affect whether or not a TF was sighted, confirmed, air units readied, bombed up (another whole area of logistics and HQ control) and launched. Not to mention current pilot morale, supply available at the bases, airfield size and numerous other checks that have to be passed before the decision was made to launch. As you read the manual (yes - it is well written and informative) and peruse the forums, all of this will become clearer and understandable. AE is very complex, with more info, factors and realism crammed in than you could possibly imagine.

The majority of the players love AE's complexity and realism - not to mention the sheer thrill of crushing your opponent (I have been spanked hard a number of times; freeboy comes to mind...)!
But - it will grow on you, and eventually you will find that you are having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have...

Welcome Aboard!

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 10/9/2010 7:07:45 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 155
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:01:43 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

I'm trying to form an ASW fleet with some HDMLs parked in Rangoon, and I'm not getting the option of an ASW fleet. Can these ships not form ASW fleets, or am I doing something wrong?

ckammp's answer is the check and the game process. If you want to know the reason it works that way, look at the device lists for each type of vessel. They can change over upgrade cycles, but there needs to be some kind of ASW weapon onboard. DCs of various models, Mousetrap, Hedgehog, or others I can't think of right now.

If you want to get really fancy, play around in the editor. There are places where device ASW capability is turned on.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/9/2010 7:22:02 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 156
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:15:26 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Basically, they arrive, withdraw a couple of days later (no player intervention required) and dump all the devices they have in the pool. Tanker and Merchant devices drop supplies or fuel at their location when they withdraw.

Smeulders -

As always, an informative reply.

Thank You, Sir -

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 157
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:18:23 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Moose -

I am playing my first DBB GC game as the Allies (the dark side...?). There was an earlier post months ago (IIRC) that explained the why and what to do with the CT device convoys. To my embarrassment, I have searched and been unable to find that post. Could I trouble you to give a rundown on what should be done with these convoys?

As has been said, the devices dump into the pools when the CD convoy auto-withdraws a few days after arriving. The supplies and fuel they bring dump into the base's total. You need to have hulls available there to haul it to where you want it. Looking ahead in the queue for the CD dates can alert you to get a mess of tankers and xAKs moving toward CT or Aden or whereever. (Port Stanley CD convoys I don't manage further.)

The Moose

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 158
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:18:34 PM   
AZKGungHo

Thanks Mac!

I managed to win a decisive victory in my second outing in Coral Sea, even tho I lost the Yorktown in this one. My experience so far mirrors one thing that's true about war, lots of tedium followed by moments of sheer terror as the air strikes slam home or the surface fleets fight!

I guess I try Guadalcanal next and see how it goes.

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 159
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:20:15 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Reading the later part of the thread has me wondering...  Am I missing a lot if I'm playing with sound off.  My computer is in the same room with the TV so computer sound is off and TV sound is on.  I tend to make a few assumptions and usually err on the side of the target survived.  One torpedo probably survived, two is sunk if a noncombatant.  Bombs pretty much the same.

The breaking-up-noises sound effect has been very reliable for me in determining when a torpedoed ship has actually sunk. Besides being satisfying, it can, in some cases, prevent you routing a second sub onto the TF track for a second kick at the cat.

The Moose

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 160
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:22:47 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Moose -

I am playing my first DBB GC game as the Allies (the dark side...?). There was an earlier post months ago (IIRC) that explained the why and what to do with the CT device convoys. To my embarrassment, I have searched and been unable to find that post. Could I trouble you to give a rundown on what should be done with these convoys?

As has been said, the devices dump into the pools when the CD convoy auto-withdraws a few days after arriving. The supplies and fuel they bring dump into the base's total. You need to have hulls available there to haul it to where you want it. Looking ahead in the queue for the CD dates can alert you to get a mess of tankers and xAKs moving toward CT or Aden or whereever. (Port Stanley CD convoys I don't manage further.)

Moose -

Thanks for the Info!

A no longer worried in Denver Mac

LAV-25 2147

Post #: 161
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 7:31:25 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: AZ Gung Ho

Thanks Mac!

I managed to win a decisive victory in my second outing in Coral Sea, even tho I lost the Yorktown in this one. My experience so far mirrors one thing that's true about war, lots of tedium followed by moments of sheer terror as the air strikes slam home or the surface fleets fight!

I guess I try Guadalcanal next and see how it goes.

AZ Gung Ho -

I respectfully submit that if you are in any way associated with the USMC / Raiders, playing the Guad Scenario is not optional...

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

Mac

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 162
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/9/2010 8:08:33 PM   
AZKGungHo

You are right Mac.  My Dad was in the 4th Raider Battalion, and I'm on the Board of the Raider Association, and their Chaplain as well.  In fact several of us from the Association are going to Guadalcanal next summer to see how our Vousa fund is working and make some changes.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this - to the point of taking money out of my retirement fund to go!

Hey, I never said I was smart! 

"In Arduis Fidelis"
Louie Marsh

Books:
Once A Raider… http://tinyurl.com/89mfnnk
Getting Real - http://tinyurl.com/7zhcjlq
Websites:
www.usmcraiders.com
discipleup.org

Post #: 163
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/22/2010 4:54:46 PM   
brian800000

I'm going to revive this thread after some time off, for a few questions (which hopefully are becoming more informed). I'll have to start the numbering over, as who knows what we would have been up to otherwise (thanks for everyone's help).

1. Radar for ships: There are so many different types, and many ships have multiple systems. But all of them show as "surface radar" in tracker. Are these somewhat redundant systems with slightly different characteristics, or are some to detect other ships and some for aircraft? If so, how can I tell?

2. Radar for surface combat: I've been assuming that radar is for surface combat. I'm extremely reluctant to commit BBs and to a lesser extent CAs and CLs to combat without radar as they need to shell enemy ships from a distance (you don't want them fighting DDs at close range). I'm less concerned about DDs having radar. I want SSs to have radar, so they can find targets. Is this the general idea?

3. Radar within a TF: can ships within a TF share results? For example, can my DDs without radar get a benefit from my BBs that have it?

4. Naval AA: From my experience, and from reading threads, it isn't all that useful. The bombers are going to get through. It isn't worthwhile to pull ships from the line to give them a few more AA guns. Is this reasonable?

5. How much are the US DDs hampered by the 60% dud rate on their torpedos? I've been ignoring it, on the assumption that most have a lot of tubes, so should be able to get some hits at least.

6. Devices: in tracker, some devices with the same name show up multiple times under different IDs (ie, 20mm Oerlikon AA Gun. What is the story with that?

7. ASW Devices: If a ship has a DC rack, but no K-Gun or similar device, does that mean it basically just rolling the DCs off the back of the ship? If so, I can't imagine that is accurate, and to really kill subs you need a K-Gun. Am I right to assume this?

(in reply to AZKGungHo)
Post #: 164
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/22/2010 6:58:45 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

7. ASW Devices: If a ship has a DC rack, but no K-Gun or similar device, does that mean it basically just rolling the DCs off the back of the ship? If so, I can't imagine that is accurate, and to really kill subs you need a K-Gun. Am I right to assume this?

That would be the "stern."

To answer your question, look at the ASW ratings of the various classes and correlate to the installation of DC guns. It's significant. Do your ASW upgrades on time, every time. Just do them. They are, IMO, the best type of upgrades in the entire game in terms of return on investment.

I believe the USN ASW ratings range, across all years and all classes, from a pitiful 2 to a monster 11. The difference in lethality is extreme.

The Moose

Post #: 165
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/23/2010 8:03:23 PM   
brian800000

quote:

quote:

That would be the "stern."

To answer your question, look at the ASW ratings of the various classes and correlate to the installation of DC guns. It's significant. Do your ASW upgrades on time, every time. Just do them. They are, IMO, the best type of upgrades in the entire game in terms of return on investment.

I believe the USN ASW ratings range, across all years and all classes, from a pitiful 2 to a monster 11. The difference in lethality is extreme.

Thanks--obviously my ignorance extends beyond AE.

Are you of the same mindset on radar upgrades (ie, always do them)?

Post #: 166
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/23/2010 9:56:41 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I have to admit that I am ignornat of exactly how the radar upgrades, or radar at all, really plays into the algorithms. I figure that Radar Is Good (tm), so I do the upgrades, but I don't understand exactly how they affect DL rates, or actual combat calculations. Also, there seems to be some bugginess in at least some of the radar routines (see other threads), but that may be mostly or all land-based air search radars. I especially do the radar upgrades in 1942 for my subs, since I know that in RL radar was a force-multiplier for subs in orders of magnitude. Does it work historically in the game? Don't know. But radar can only help, so I'd do those too. Maybe not as aggressively as weapon upgrades, but the two are usually bundled.

The Moose

Post #: 167
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 11:01:30 AM   
Wikingus

I have another question; in one of my games I'm transporting an LCU with flying boats. For a couple of turns that wasn't a problem, and about 1/3 of the unit got transported. But after that, the planes stopped transporting the LCU, so 2/3 are still at the point of origin. I think even the planes' mission was changed, I set it back to Troop Transport but they don't budge.

What am I missing?

Post #: 168
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 12:40:56 PM   
michaelm75au

There is a limitation of the size of devices that can be moved by plane - up to a load cost of 7 for air-drop and 9 (?) for base-base air transport.

Michael

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 169
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 12:43:12 PM   
michaelm75au

quote:

quote:

I have to admit that I am ignornat of exactly how the radar upgrades, or radar at all, really plays into the algorithms. I figure that Radar Is Good (tm), so I do the upgrades, but I don't understand exactly how they affect DL rates, or actual combat calculations. Also, there seems to be some bugginess in at least some of the radar routines (see other threads), but that may be mostly or all land-based air search radars. I especially do the radar upgrades in 1942 for my subs, since I know that in RL radar was a force-multiplier for subs in orders of magnitude. Does it work historically in the game? Don't know. But radar can only help, so I'd do those too. Maybe not as aggressively as weapon upgrades, but the two are usually bundled.

LCU radar upgrades are good especially if the unit only has Sound Detector or Observer Corp devices.

Michael

Post #: 170
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 1:56:38 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

There is a limitation of the size of devices that can be moved by plane - up to a load cost of 7 for air-drop and 9 (?) for base-base air transport.

Makes sense, but an option to just leave that equipment would also be nice. Now I have infantry stuck there along with the heavier stuff that can't be moved.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 171
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 2:16:11 PM   
VSWG

quote:

quote:

Makes sense, but an option to just leave that equipment would also be nice. Now I have infantry stuck there along with the heavier stuff that can't be moved.

Transport planes will pick up every device they can lift, and leave the rest behind.

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 172
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 2:33:15 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

quote:

Transport planes will pick up every device they can lift, and leave the rest behind.

I picked a new destination and they transported the LCU there without any problem, but they wouldn't do so with the old destination. Weird. Maybe it was because of other factors, there was air combat over that hex for several turns in a row.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 173
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 2:39:02 PM   
VSWG

Probably bad weather (either over the destination base, or over the LCU's base).

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 174
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/24/2010 3:17:55 PM   
oldman45

Range plays a factor in the movement of men and materials by planes. The manual lays it out pretty well.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 175
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/25/2010 12:37:18 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

LCU radar upgrades are good especially if the unit only has Sound Detector or Observer Corp devices.

Thanks, Michael.

The Moose

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 176
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/27/2010 1:52:15 PM   
Wikingus

I have an LCU that won't stop bombarding every turn, even though I set it to Defend every time. What gives?

Post #: 177
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/27/2010 7:35:52 PM   
VSWG

quote:

I have an LCU that won't stop bombarding every turn, even though I set it to Defend every time. What gives?

LCUs auto-bombard if there's an enemy TF unloading troops in the same hex. Is this the case?

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 178
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/27/2010 7:54:30 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

LCUs auto-bombard if there's an enemy TF unloading troops in the same hex. Is this the case?

It was, thanks!

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 179
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/27/2010 9:49:08 PM   
VSWG

There's nothing you can do about it. Just reset them to defend every turn, so that they don't continue to bombard after the enemy TF has completed unloading.

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A few newbie questions Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI