Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A few newbie questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A few newbie questions Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 5:44:09 PM   
Wikingus

How to move LBs over large distances?

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 181
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 6:17:22 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wikingus

Define LBs please.

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 182
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 6:45:40 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Define LBs please.

Let's say I have some landing barges that I built in a port from supplies there. On their own they can't go far, so I was wondering if there are any ships that can carry them or are they only useful for short distances?

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 183
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 6:58:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

Define LBs please.

Let's say I have some landing barges that I built in a port from supplies there. On their own they can't go far, so I was wondering if there are any ships that can carry them or are they only useful for short distances?

OK, landing barges. I assume you're talking Japanese Daihatsu LBs? I don't play the Japanese, but I don't know of any way you can carry LBs on a cargo ship elsewhere. (Same as PT boats.) The Allies have similar craft, and you can disband them back into the pool and re-use them elsewhere after a 30-day waiting period (or maybe 60-days; don't recall.) Maybe the Japanese system works the same way. A Japanese player can tell you better.

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 184
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 7:05:36 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Define LBs please.

OK, landing barges. I assume you're talking Japanese Daihatsu LBs? I don't play the Japanese, but I don't know of any way you can carry LBs on a cargo ship elsewhere. (Same as PT boats.) The Allies have similar craft, and you can disband them back into the pool and re-use them elsewhere after a 30-day waiting period (or maybe 60-days; don't recall.) Maybe the Japanese system works the same way. A Japanese player can tell you better.

Yeah, it was the Daihatsu LBs. As far as the Allied ones go - you disband them in one port, and after the waiting period is over, you can make them appear in another port, thus "transporting" them there?

Post #: 185
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 7:23:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Yeah, it was the Daihatsu LBs. As far as the Allied ones go - you disband them in one port, and after the waiting period is over, you can make them appear in another port, thus "transporting" them there?

Yep. PT boats too. Only some of the Allied "L" craft work this way. Some are sea-going, and have to be moved on map. The code will not allow you to cheat either way. If the craft won't disband, you have to move it. Sometimes this necessitates including a refueling source in the moved Tf.

Also note that not all Allied bases let you form PT or barge TFs, and not all let you disband. I don't recall offhand what limits that, but nationality is part of it.

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 186
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 8:05:55 PM   
John Lansford

You can also put them in a TF with a larger ship, and it will refuel them along the way.  It will take a while to reach your destination but they'll get there.

Post #: 187
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 8:33:23 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

You can also put them in a TF with a larger ship, and it will refuel them along the way.  It will take a while to reach your destination but they'll get there.

Yes, you can do that refueling-wise, but won't the damage accumulate too fast to make it very far? Imagine taking a Higgin's boat 1000 miles across open sea. Even if it didn't swamp, it was never designed to do that. I'd have to look at the durability rating (or whatever it's called in the editor) for the USN's barge-type craft. I don't guess it's very high.

The Moose

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 188
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 8:53:36 PM   
Wikingus

Thanks!

Is there a good thread with basic tips for pilot management? It's giving me a headache... what's the difference between group reserve and general reserve, TRACOM, how do I set up training units, etc. etc. This is one aspect of the game I would gladly do without.

Post #: 189
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 9:55:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks!

Is there a good thread with basic tips for pilot management? It's giving me a headache... what's the difference between group reserve and general reserve, TRACOM, how do I set up training units, etc. etc. This is one aspect of the game I would gladly do without.

There are lots. Just use the Search function. There have been some in the past month for sure.

Group reserve is the reserve for that group. IOW, pilots stationed with the group/planes, who are off the flying list. They can be put back on without a travel delay. General reserve is a pool from which any air unit can draw fully-trained (out of school) pilots. It has a Fighter, Bomber, Patrol section, but nothing stops you from putting a fighter pilot in a bomber group. There is a trvel delay to pull these pilots into an operational group. Sometimes this is a few days, sometimes several weeks. TRACOM is Training Command. These are pilots with 81 or higher experience (their names are in yellow) who have been sent to the rear to help train pilots in the school pipeline. If you have enough of them there they can speed up the rate pilots move through the schools, by a bit. This is really not of much use to the Allies. It can be useful to the Japanese, sometimes.

There aren't any training units per se, only units you treat that way. Mostly for the Allies they'll be the permanently restricted units on the West Coast. You just load them up with as many Replacement-grade pilots as they'll take, and set them on Training, either a specific skill or General. Set their range, altitude, etc. and check on them from time to time. When the pilots have reached whatever level of whatever skill you want, skim them off into General Reserve for use at the front. There's more to it than that, but the threads you find will fill in the gaps.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/28/2010 9:58:08 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 190
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:06:29 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

quote:

Thanks!

There are lots. Just use the Search function. There have been some in the past month for sure.

Group reserve is the reserve for that group. IOW, pilots stationed with the group/planes, who are off the flying list. They can be put back on without a travel delay. General reserve is a pool from which any air unit can draw fully-trained (out of school) pilots. It has a Fighter, Bomber, Patrol section, but nothing stops you from putting a fighter pilot in a bomber group. There is a trvel delay to pull these pilots into an operational group. Sometimes this is a few days, sometimes several weeks. TRACOM is Training Command. These are pilots with 81 or higher experience (their names are in yellow) who have been sent to the rear to help train pilots in the school pipeline. If you have enough of them there they can speed up the rate pilots move through the schools, by a bit. This is really not of much use to the Allies. It can be useful to the Japanese, sometimes.

There aren't any training units per se, only units you treat that way. Mostly for the Allies they'll be the permanently restricted units on the West Coast. You just load them up with as many Replacement-grade pilots as they'll take, and set them on Training, either a specific skill or General. Set their range, altitude, etc. and check on them from time to time. When the pilots have reached whatever level of whatever skill you want, skim them off into General Reserve for use at the front. There's more to it than that, but the threads you find will fill in the gaps.

Thanks again! I'll give Search a whirl, just one more thing if you still have the patience to answer: how do I move pilots to General Reserve?

Post #: 191
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:18:40 PM   
brian800000

I've decided to make a few transport mega-convoys rather than just haphazardly throwing together ships that are lying around. Reading the manual there is a lot of info on load and unload times, but if I make sure the convoy is small enough to dock can I assume I'll be okay (ie, if I send a convoy to Brisbane, any convoy that can dock there isn't going to take forever to unload)?

Also, is there something out there that shows the ships that can convert? Or do I need to click on each one?

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 192
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:24:41 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Thanks again! I'll give Search a whirl, just one more thing if you still have the patience to answer: how do I move pilots to General Reserve?

Open up the Pilots hotpoint on the air unit screen. Click on the man's name once. Click or press "y" to send him to Group Reserve. Click his name again, click "y" again, and he goes to General Reserve. If you have a lot to do at once, use both hands, one on mouse, one on "Y" key.

Note that if the number of pilots drops below the group's minimum limit, instead of General Reserve the second step will offer a chance to send him back to Active Duty with the group. To avoid this when moving many pilots in one harvest, go back out to the group screen, and pull in the max number of Replacement-level pilots you are allowed, then go back and rotate the rest of the vets into Reserve.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/28/2010 10:26:11 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Wikingus)
Post #: 193
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:28:35 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian800000

I've decided to make a few transport mega-convoys rather than just haphazardly throwing together ships that are lying around. Reading the manual there is a lot of info on load and unload times, but if I make sure the convoy is small enough to dock can I assume I'll be okay (ie, if I send a convoy to Brisbane, any convoy that can dock there isn't going to take forever to unload)?

Also, is there something out there that shows the ships that can convert? Or do I need to click on each one?

It depends on what else is trying to unload, or load, at Brisbane at the same time. Bigger ports have bigger limits, and there are LCUs that can help (at least for the Allies), but no port has infinite capacity.

Conversions can be seen and planned easily in Tracker. There's no way in the game to see all conversions in one place. There is for upgrades, but not conversions.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/28/2010 10:29:00 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to brian800000)
Post #: 194
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:33:50 PM   
DOCUP

Thanks bull I was going to ask the question about this myself. Got to love this forum and its timing

doc

Post #: 195
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:44:01 PM   
Wikingus

quote:

quote:

Open up the Pilots hotpoint on the air unit screen. Click on the man's name once. Click or press "y" to send him to Group Reserve. Click his name again, click "y" again, and he goes to General Reserve. If you have a lot to do at once, use both hands, one on mouse, one on "Y" key.

Note that if the number of pilots drops below the group's minimum limit, instead of General Reserve the second step will offer a chance to send him back to Active Duty with the group. To avoid this when moving many pilots in one harvest, go back out to the group screen, and pull in the max number of Replacement-level pilots you are allowed, then go back and rotate the rest of the vets into Reserve.

Thanks a lot, I think I have the general idea now!

Post #: 196
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/28/2010 10:54:09 PM   
brian800000

quote:

It depends on what else is trying to unload, or load, at Brisbane at the same time. Bigger ports have bigger limits, and there are LCUs that can help (at least for the Allies), but no port has infinite capacity.

I guess what I was asking was along the lines of 1 fleet in 1 day. If only 1 fleet is going in, and is just under the docking limit, is there a need to worry that the unloading may take a long time if the convoy is loaded with supplies?

I've only checked a few places, and it seems I'm okay, assuming I understand the unloading algorithem correctly.

Post #: 197
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 12:23:48 AM   
John Lansford

quote:

quote:

Yes, you can do that refueling-wise, but won't the damage accumulate too fast to make it very far? Imagine taking a Higgin's boat 1000 miles across open sea. Even if it didn't swamp, it was never designed to do that. I'd have to look at the durability rating (or whatever it's called in the editor) for the USN's barge-type craft. I don't guess it's very high.

Since the small craft would be refueled before they ran out of fuel, the durability factor would never come into play. The only time I've seen damage accrue on a ship was after it ran out of fuel (subs, LCT's, etc).

Post #: 198
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 1:59:31 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

I guess what I was asking was along the lines of 1 fleet in 1 day. If only 1 fleet is going in, and is just under the docking limit, is there a need to worry that the unloading may take a long time if the convoy is loaded with supplies?

I've only checked a few places, and it seems I'm okay, assuming I understand the unloading algorithem correctly.

Your complete answer should be found in the manual, in the table in section 6.3.1.1, page 109 of the printed version (and probably the PDF too.) Make sure you read footnotes 1 and 2, especially that amphib TFs are treated differently.

The Moose

Post #: 199
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 2:01:42 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Since the small craft would be refueled before they ran out of fuel, the durability factor would never come into play. The only time I've seen damage accrue on a ship was after it ran out of fuel (subs, LCT's, etc).

Floatation maybe, but system damage accumulates on every at-sea day, depending on speed and other factors. I'm unsure of the exact interrelation between very high system damage and an inception of float damage. There ought to be some in RL, as bilge pumps would be part of system damage. Never studied it in the game.

Edit: Section 6.5.1 talks about transit damage. System damage does accumulate as I thought, and existing float or engine damage can get worse (or better.) There's no discussion of any correlation between high system damage and floatation damage coming off zero if there is none pre-existing. However, there is an added chance of major damage (which would have to be engine or float since system doesnt' have major/minor that I know of) occuring when system damage is high. this makes sense to me. also, with system damage comes speed reduction. I suppose that Higgin's boat transiting the Pacific could be at 99 system dame, making one knot, and not have any float damage, and (someday) making port. But it seems like a bad tie-up of the refueler to do that.

What's the farthest anyone has ever sent a barge in the game?

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 10/29/2010 2:10:39 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 200
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 5:31:29 AM   
Alfred

quote:

...Also note that not all Allied bases let you form PT or barge TFs, and not all let you disband. I don't recall offhand what limits that, but nationality is part of it.

The only Allied PTs which can be warehoused in a pool are USN. Hence it makes logical sense that only where the USN had a large presence, could these warehoused PTs be summonsed out of the ether and onto the map. That translates to a player being able to draw down from the warehouse these PTs at American and Australian bases, and out of American supply convoys.

Alfred

Post #: 201
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 7:20:43 PM   
brian800000

How do you guys protect against mines in your key ports? Do you keep minesweepers on continuous sweep missions (I've read there are problems with this)? Are coastal minesweepers effective enough (I'd like to use most of my AMs and DMSs in ASW early on)?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 202
RE: A few newbie questions - 10/29/2010 7:30:32 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

How do you guys protect against mines in your key ports? Do you keep minesweepers on continuous sweep missions (I've read there are problems with this)? Are coastal minesweepers effective enough (I'd like to use most of my AMs and DMSs in ASW early on)?

AMc's are perfect for base local mine sweeping, make sure its the home port and you have fuel and you'll know the turn mines are dropped, use small legged AM's to patrol the path/s used by shipping. early the DEI has a ton of these vessels make sure you get most of them out as they are also valuable for pickets as well although they run out of fuel no damage is incurred if they stay in the same hex but I do send out AKs to refuel them to keep from gaming the system.

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 10/29/2010 7:32:11 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Post #: 203
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/1/2010 2:48:06 AM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

AMc's are perfect for base local mine sweeping, make sure its the home port and you have fuel and you'll know the turn mines are dropped, use small legged AM's to patrol the path/s used by shipping. early the DEI has a ton of these vessels make sure you get most of them out as they are also valuable for pickets as well although they run out of fuel no damage is incurred if they stay in the same hex but I do send out AKs to refuel them to keep from gaming the system.

Thanks for the answer, this thread is a huge help.

Another question: how do you know if a ship is safe to move? My repair yard in PH is full, and I have ships there with a lot of damage. Are there thresholds beyond which I know it would be safe to move the ships (and until those are met, I guess they have to sit there until repair spots open?)?

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 204
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/1/2010 5:21:05 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

Another question: how do you know if a ship is safe to move? My repair yard in PH is full, and I have ships there with a lot of damage. Are there thresholds beyond which I know it would be safe to move the ships (and until those are met, I guess they have to sit there until repair spots open?)?

The more damage a ship has, the more likely it will sink at sea. Only Float damage will sink a ship, assuming it's not attacked again.

A good rule of thumb when moving damaged ships is to repair all the Sys damage via pier side (you can have as many ships as you want repairing Sys damage at the pier. And get Float to less than 50. If a ship is zero sys and <50 float, she probably won't sink en route to another ship yard. I have seen ships jump from 50 to 60 or 70 and give me stress. Fortunately, they're headed to PH from the front lines and generally have a base nearby they can go to to get it back to 50. I'd get my ships to 40 float at PH if sending to the states. there's no rest stop on the way if flooding increases suddenly. Escort them heavily because any sub can easily sink a damaged ship.

If PH is full of damaged ships, try to get some ARD's there. A ship can slowly repair Float damage using an ARD.

The older I get, the better I was.

Post #: 205
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/1/2010 6:47:31 AM   
Alfred

Make sure that any ship being moved with flotation damage is on the "Cruise" speed setting.

Alfred

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 206
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/7/2010 9:10:17 AM   
brian800000

Everybody--thanks again for your help.

But I have another question: say I'm trying to load a unit with 600 Troops and 5000 cargo. I want to use 2 ships to do this. I'm not sure what to do: I've made a fleet with an AP for the troops and an AK for the cargo, but I still get the message that the unit won't completely load.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 207
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/7/2010 10:25:29 AM   
Alfred

quote:

But I have another question: say I'm trying to load a unit with 600 Troops and 5000 cargo. I want to use 2 ships to do this. I'm not sure what to do: I've made a fleet with an AP for the troops and an AK for the cargo, but I still get the message that the unit won't completely load.

If it is an Amphibious TF, you need an additional 20% capacity to that listed because the unit is "combat loaded".

Alfred

Post #: 208
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/7/2010 1:32:47 PM   
brian800000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

If it is an Amphibious TF, you need an additional 20% capacity to that listed because the unit is "combat loaded".

Alfred

Thanks--who knows how long that would have taken to figure out!

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 209
RE: A few newbie questions - 11/9/2010 12:54:14 AM   
brian800000

I've read on the forum that the AI gets a cheat for extra planes. Does anyone know the mechanics of how it works?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to know if it is really productive to shoot down their planes early in the war. If the cheat just keeps them with a minimum number of planes, then it probably would be. If the cheat just replaces a certain percentage of their losses, it may be less useful.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A few newbie questions Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI