Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 4:01:01 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I love me some expresso!  

Great! Does that mean you two are going to stay up tonight and get the turn done?

Done.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6001
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 4:01:17 AM   
USSAmerica

New page.  

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6002
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 4:03:13 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

How bout them Gamecocks! Wooooot!

Congrats to the Gamecocks, and you have a turn.

Mike

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6003
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 5:04:15 AM   
BrucePowers

Tithe!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6004
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 5:04:56 AM   
BrucePowers

What's a Gamecock?

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 6005
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 5:12:01 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What's a Gamecock?

I have a couple of answers, but I don't want to get banned

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 6006
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 5:16:13 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: scott1964

Medical Office in Mesa, AZ, USA

Customer: “I need to get an appointment for my son right away!”

Me: “Okay, has he seen the doctor before?”

Customer: “No. He had an appointment but he missed it.”

(I get the patient’s name and check him in the computer. He missed a consult appointment on 8/10 and didn’t call to cancel. He simply didn’t show up. It is now 9/27.)

Me: “Okay, our next available appointment is October 22nd.”

Customer: “That’s not soon enough! Don’t you have anything sooner?”

Me: “That’s our next available routine appointment. If you want to have his primary care physician call and speak with our doctor, we may be able to move it up, but right now I can’t put him in our emergency slots.”

Customer: “Why not?”

Me: “It’s our policy not to give out emergency slots to patients who have previously no-showed appointments.”

Customer: “What if it’s an emergency?”

Me: “Given that his original appointment that you missed was six weeks ago, I find that unlikely.”

Customer: “He’s got hormones in his brain!”

*long awkward silence*

Me: “He’s a teenage boy, right?”

Customer: “It’s an emergency!”

Good grief. That parent sounds like he has " hormones in his brain " as well.

(in reply to scott64)
Post #: 6007
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 7:37:48 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 6008
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 8:29:12 AM   
Grollub

Good morning gents.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6009
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 9:04:44 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

With the Garden Simulator 2010 you can create your own garden. Plant different flowers, fruit or vegetables. You can move about freely
and design the garden according to your own ideas. Establish paths, place decorative items and take care of your crop. There are more than 40 objects available which you can purchase with your earned money. Besides the career modus, various missions await you. A sophisticated weather system, day and night changes and detailed graphics provide a realistic gameplay.

Features:

* Career mode and free game
* Numerous mission
* Many creative options
* More than 40 tools, plants and decorative objects
* Flowers, trees, fruit and vegetables
* Weather system and day/night changes
* Animals such as moles and snails
* Addition of new objects via modding for unlimited game fun
* Detailed graphics

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 6010
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 10:37:15 AM   
Dixie

Rememberence Sunday, watching the marchpast on TV.  My living room always seems to have a bit of dust or grit in the air at this time of year...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6011
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 10:48:32 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Rememberence Sunday, watching the marchpast on TV.  My living room always seems to have a bit of dust or grit in the air at this time of year...

Hello Martin!

I hope you are Ok and everything is good...

BTW, seen my question to you few days ago about A380 and RollsRoyce Trent 900?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6012
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 10:59:55 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What's a Gamecock?

I have a couple of answers, but I don't want to get banned

This is a Gamecock:

Attachment (1)

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 6013
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 11:22:57 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Hello Martin!

Leo "Apollo11"

Can't say I did mate, what was it? Not sure if I'll be able to answer but I'll give it a go

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6014
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 11:51:57 AM   
RUDOLF

Good Afternoon ladies

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6015
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 12:16:09 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hello Martin!

Can't say I did mate, what was it? Not sure if I'll be able to answer but I'll give it a go

OK - here is the repost (original here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2563820&mpage=196�):

Martin, as our in house (erm... in "THE THREAD" ) aircraft engine expert - what do you think about A380 and Rolls-Royce Trent 900 issues?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6016
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 12:18:40 PM   
Chickenboy

My Mother in law sent this link...some pretty good ones in there...

http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/cgi-bin/seigboardbest.pl?4196:1

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6017
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 12:34:33 PM   
Grollub

Apartment cleaning day ... boy, am I bored ... :-/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6018
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 12:48:54 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Hi all,

OK - here is the repost (original here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2563820&mpage=196�):

Martin, as our in house (erm... in "THE THREAD" ) aircraft engine expert - what do you think about A380 and Rolls-Royce Trent 900 issues?

Leo "Apollo11"

I understand that both recent events were down to problems somewhere in the oil systems. The Qantas one looks like a failure of a turbine bearing causing it to seize and then spit out a few blades. IIRC the Trent is based on the RB211 but with a few added goodies (extra LP turbine stage for example). It looks like it's either the HP or IP turbine that's given up and broken away and taken a big chunk of translating cowl (part of the thrust reverse system) and cold-stream duct with it. The image shows a nice chunk of the core engine missing just in front of the bulge in the engine fairing.

Sitting at home with a nice knowledge or aircaft I can happily say losing one of four engines isn't an issue, but if you're sat on an aeroplane that's just lost an engine it's probably different

Have I bored you enough yet? I can get more technical if you want (you really don't btw)

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6019
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 1:18:10 PM   
rtrapasso

i understand that it was considered a design failure (on the A380), not so much because the engine failed but because when it did, it was not contained in the "armored box" of the engine, but punctured the wing when it blew out...

So, not so much that the engine failed but rather that it might have taken out a wing as well... iirc, wing failure on an aircraft is not good!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6020
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 1:31:04 PM   
DivePac88

quote:

I understand that both recent events were down to problems somewhere in the oil systems. The Qantas one looks like a failure of a turbine bearing causing it to seize and then spit out a few blades. IIRC the Trent is based on the RB211 but with a few added goodies (extra LP turbine stage for example). It looks like it's either the HP or IP turbine that's given up and broken away and taken a big chunk of translating cowl (part of the thrust reverse system) and cold-stream duct with it. The image shows a nice chunk of the core engine missing just in front of the bulge in the engine fairing.

Sitting at home with a nice knowledge or aircaft I can happily say losing one of four engines isn't an issue, but if you're sat on an aeroplane that's just lost an engine it's probably different

Have I bored you enough yet? I can get more technical if you want (you really don't btw)

No not boring Dixie, but very informative thank you.

Now my question;

is that engine designed to do that, sort-of like a cordless kettle that only lasts two weeks, so you have to buy about thirty of the things a year?

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6021
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 1:35:10 PM   
DivePac88

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

i understand that it was considered a design failure (on the A380), not so much because the engine failed but because when it did, it was not contained in the "armored box" of the engine, but punctured the wing when it blew out...

So, not so much that the engine failed but rather that it might have taken out a wing as well... iirc, wing failure on an aircraft is not good!

Sort of like an Aussie yacht braking in half and sinking, they have a history of that you know.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 6022
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 2:10:28 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

quote:

No not boring Dixie, but very informative thank you.

Now my question;

is that engine designed to do that, sort-of like a cordless kettle that only lasts two weeks, so you have to buy about thirty of the things a year?

Not designed to as such Offhand I can't remember exactly how the casings are built, but iirc there isn't anything to really stop the turbine blades if the do break loose. There's a casing (like a kevlar net I think) at the front to contain the LP fan blades (because they're bloody huge) in the event they break away. The turbine blades by comparison are a lot smaller.

Engines can (and usually do) last for thousands and thousands of hours 'on wing'. I'm sure that my instructor mentioned (in February) that TAP had an engine on one of their aircaft since the 90's. Especially in the civvy world having an engine that broke down on a regular basis would kill a company. Seeing as airlines are based on making money they'd soon stop buying your stuff if it broke down every 1,000 hours or so.

On the RB211 the final turbine stage (the largest blades) are about a foot long, the further forward in the engine you go the smaller the blades are. The HP blades are really tiny, again iirc, only a couple of inches. The LP fan blades are about 3' long each and made from a heavy titanium alloy so they're more of a problem if they break free. Usually I only see the LP fan and the LP turbine first hand, everything else I see through a boroscope so it's harder to judge sizes. I've got no reason to think the turbine blades are any bigger on the Airbus.

As for the wing, it's an airframe part and is therefore boring to me (even if I am technically qualified for airframe work). But, the wing spars are chunky bits of metal and are set back from the leading edge, the hole just looks bad because it's in the wing. The leading edge would maybe contain hydraulic lines (for the LE slats), engine controls and maybe refuel pipework. I'm not sure on how the AB has it's hyds set up, newer aircraft are generally less reliant on hydraulics than older ones so there might not be anything much leading through the front of the wing.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 6023
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 2:10:29 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Morning tithe.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 6024
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 2:41:31 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not designed to as such Offhand I can't remember exactly how the casings are built, but iirc there isn't anything to really stop the turbine blades if the do break loose. There's a casing (like a kevlar net I think) at the front to contain the LP fan blades (because they're bloody huge) in the event they break away. The turbine blades by comparison are a lot smaller.

Engines can (and usually do) last for thousands and thousands of hours 'on wing'. I'm sure that my instructor mentioned (in February) that TAP had an engine on one of their aircaft since the 90's. Especially in the civvy world having an engine that broke down on a regular basis would kill a company. Seeing as airlines are based on making money they'd soon stop buying your stuff if it broke down every 1,000 hours or so.

On the RB211 the final turbine stage (the largest blades) are about a foot long, the further forward in the engine you go the smaller the blades are. The HP blades are really tiny, again iirc, only a couple of inches. The LP fan blades are about 3' long each and made from a heavy titanium alloy so they're more of a problem if they break free. Usually I only see the LP fan and the LP turbine first hand, everything else I see through a boroscope so it's harder to judge sizes. I've got no reason to think the turbine blades are any bigger on the Airbus.

As for the wing, it's an airframe part and is therefore boring to me (even if I am technically qualified for airframe work). But, the wing spars are chunky bits of metal and are set back from the leading edge, the hole just looks bad because it's in the wing. The leading edge would maybe contain hydraulic lines (for the LE slats), engine controls and maybe refuel pipework. I'm not sure on how the AB has it's hyds set up, newer aircraft are generally less reliant on hydraulics than older ones so there might not be anything much leading through the front of the wing.

Great stuff - thanks Martin!

Please keep it coming (we really love your expertize)!!!

The main problem was that the flying parts (when the engine blew off) struck some very sensitive things in A380's win... the control commands for #1 engine were severed (the #2 blew out) and the pilot only controlled the #3 and #4 afterwards... it was much more dicier than it looked like at the first glance (i.e. just loosing one single engine out of 4)...

BTW, I was also under impression that fan / blades failures are not such catastrophic events (I don't recall reading about any similar incident in years - perhaps even decade)... I also thought that the engine cover could have prevented flying parts (obviously very wrong)...

Thus the Quantas A380 was very very lucky... the parts could have hit passenger cabin or some other system and rendered aircraft unflyable... scary thought...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6025
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 3:06:58 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Sunday morning - Tithe. 

Mike

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 6026
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 6:11:59 PM   
stuman

A good Sunday to all.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6027
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 6:12:08 PM   
Grollub

Watching the Dolphins-Titans NFL game. Interesting start.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 6028
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 7:49:29 PM   
Dixie

Yes!  Finally finished Monaco on F1 2010   Started 20th on the grid but finished 2nd after a nice pile-up in the first corner cos of the rain 

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 6029
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 11/14/2010 8:02:35 PM   
rtrapasso

Just got back from watching the movie Skyline that opened here yesterday... rather disappointing on the whole...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 6030
Page:   <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  199 200 [201] 202 203   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI