Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 5:07:19 AM   
Erik Rutins

One more pic of the policies for today...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to s20dan)
Post #: 61
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 5:10:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

And a little more information on Ion Weapons...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 62
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 5:15:31 AM   
Erik Rutins

And a little combat shot...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 63
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 6:47:15 AM   
Texashawk

Son of a @#$%&$!!! Erik, how can you keep this away from us for ANOTHER MONTH!!!

You are a bad, bad man.

Lifetime "You Magnificent Bastard!" callouts: 5
Lifetime slaps across the face by a female: 2
Lifetime games that hold my attention longer than a month: 3

Post #: 64
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 9:39:48 AM   
caerr

Love the new tech tree! You guys are doing awesome work.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 65
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 1:03:13 PM   
Igard

The fighters look great! Obviously not very clear because they're so small, but that's what I was hoping for. Can't have the fighters too big.

The tech tree looks to be the biggest improvement, so many new components. I see that there's 2 tech emphasis options on the policy screen. So we can set our empire to focus on certain areas, that's very cool.

Couple of questions; Some of the techs fork in different directions. Can we still research High Power Blasters if we have researched Long Range Lasers first?

Also, can you confirm yet if we'll have more ship families to play with? Even there are no new ships inside them, it would still be extrememly useful for modding.

And, is there any chance of seeing the Ion weapons in action next?

Awesome work Codeforce and Matrix. Thank you.

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 66
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 5:27:05 PM   
Fenroo

I hate to spoil all the love but there's a question I have to ask...price?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 67
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 5:39:06 PM   
Simulation01

I hope that Product Page goes up today.  I have a load of questions and I hate to nag Erik.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Fenroo)
Post #: 68
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 6:01:38 PM   
gmot

I just started playing DW last week and have been enjoying it a lot. Does a lot of things right in the 4X genre. I always found GalCiv2 good, but not really engaging - I usually would abandon my games in boredom after a certain point.

I have to admit I've been finding some things can be frustrating in DW, and I'm happy to see this expansion will address many of them. I particularly like the research changes, and the fine-tuning of automation. I love how you can automate so much in DW, but right now I find automation too automated, as I can't direct the AI precisely enough for my liking. The UI changes look good too - right now it can take too many clicks/zooming to get to what I want to see or order something built. Fighters and planetary defenses are a great idea too. Right now seems a little odd that a planet is essentially helpless once the ships/bases have been cleared.

Now of course I don't want to play DW right now but wait for this expansion!

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 69
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 8:28:24 PM   
arrozal

Sorry if I missed it, but is there any additional optimisation coming with this pack? Loading/saving times have been greatly reduced since the earlier versions, but it still chugs a little once I've discovered most things and have a full galaxy moving before me. 

(in reply to gmot)
Post #: 70
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 9:23:25 PM   
RooksBailey

I really can't wait for this expansion!  It really sounds wonderfully ambitious!  Please tell us the release date is next week!  

(in reply to arrozal)
Post #: 71
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 9:29:37 PM   
Wade1000

What are some mega constructions, like population centers such as enormous ship city/factory modules, Orbital Habitats, Ringworlds, and Dyson Spheres/Sphere worlds?

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 72
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/22/2010 9:58:06 PM   
ASHBERY76

Research and new weapons for battles might be a popular choice but I think DW is never going to compete with SOTS,MOO2 in that area due to the nature of the real time game..I think DW stands out for resources,exploration and politics and these were the areas that should have been expanded in my view.

I also think the fighters in the screenshots look very out of place at that scale too.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 73
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 12:40:15 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Research and new weapons for battles might be a popular choice but I think DW is never going to compete with SOTS,MOO2 in that area due to the nature of the real time game..I think DW stands out for resources,exploration and politics and these were the areas that should have been expanded in my view.
I also think the fighters in the screenshots look very out of place at that scale too.

Keep in mind that this is not the only planned expansion for DW and we have a VERY long wish list.

With that said, more coming once the full product page is ready. The fighters really needed to be big enough to see and one fighter bay at size 50 is about the most you really want to fit on a small ship, which is about four fighters and is believable. Once you get into larger ships and bases, you can have full squadrons and more. I'll comment a bit more on fighters too... your ships will automatically outfit their bays with an even mix of fighters and bombers so that you can build ships with fighters and they'll just work without any more involvement from you. However, if you want you can specialize. There are several different types of fighters and bombers you can research and you can actually customize the load-out for each ship or base with fighter bays to have the exact mix of each that you want.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 74
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 1:06:57 AM   
RooksBailey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
I'll comment a bit more on fighters too... your ships will automatically outfit their bays with an even mix of fighters and bombers so that you can build ships with fighters and they'll just work without any more involvement from you. However, if you want you can specialize. There are several different types of fighters and bombers you can research and you can actually customize the load-out for each ship or base with fighter bays to have the exact mix of each that you want.

Regards,

- Erik

Wow! That's a lot more detail than I expected. It sounds almost like the fighter/bomber system in Sins of a Solar Empire. Actually, it sounds far more detailed what with the different types that you can research!
Starting to drool here....

< Message edited by RooksBailey -- 11/23/2010 1:07:02 AM >

Post #: 75
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 2:16:31 AM   
martok

As I anticipated, this looks like another "must-have" for me. Gah!

quote:

Keep in mind that this is not the only planned expansion for DW and we have a VERY long wish list.

With that said, more coming once the full product page is ready. The fighters really needed to be big enough to see and one fighter bay at size 50 is about the most you really want to fit on a small ship, which is about four fighters and is believable. Once you get into larger ships and bases, you can have full squadrons and more. I'll comment a bit more on fighters too... your ships will automatically outfit their bays with an even mix of fighters and bombers so that you can build ships with fighters and they'll just work without any more involvement from you. However, if you want you can specialize. There are several different types of fighters and bombers you can research and you can actually customize the load-out for each ship or base with fighter bays to have the exact mix of each that you want.

Regards,

- Erik

This whole post makes me happy.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Post #: 76
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 3:37:45 AM   
Wade1000

Fighter combat is cool and all but it's based off of modern times.

1. What are some uber futuristic advances for this science fiction game, beyond merely better levels of damage of various weapons and strength of defenses?

2. Again, what are some mega constructions, like population centers such as enormous ship city/factory modules, Orbital Habitats, Ringworlds, and Dyson Spheres/Sphere worlds? These could be thought of as "wonders" like in the civilization series game.

A future, or any time period, civilization can be measured by their military, economy, happiness, and great mega construction projects that stand the test of time. These projects are often above and beyond the level of grandness comonly known for their time.

In a science fiction, or any, civilization/empire game I like to feel like I am progressing through different ages or epocs in advances instead of merely incremental advances like months throughout a World War 2 game.

3. Oh yeah, also, can we destroy and create mega constructions, planets, and stars?

If the answers are "no" then simply say so. I can take it and still enjoying playing this game and others similiar to it.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 11/23/2010 3:43:56 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 77
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 4:11:26 AM   
tornnight

no

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 78
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 8:33:27 AM   
Wicky

those fighter bays are cool!
Does anyone remember the Perry Rhodan books, they describe how capital ships could load smaller ships into their hangar. For example, in the hangar of explorers were resource probes, small enough to analyze planets on their own. In the huge hangars of cruisers there were like a dozen of frigates, though capital ships could even load a couple of cruisers.
Needless to say that this concept is a tough nut for computer games and nobody has yet managed to do it.

(in reply to s20dan)
Post #: 79
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 12:07:18 PM   
Canute0

quote:

And a little combat shot...

Oh i see rockets now, good choise to come away from these homing energy balls :-)

Btw what happen to the fighters when the ship warp away during fight, i bet the ship got endless fighthers then :-(

Post #: 80
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 1:24:13 PM   
ZeroSum

I am still curious if fonts will be addressed in any way?

quote:

FONTS (More readable fonts when using higher resolutions) My Monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

My eyesight is just not what it use to be and the current fonts are a real struggle for me. Will this issue be addressed?

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 81
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 1:31:19 PM   
hewwo

Wow! I'll say I'm extremely happy with the new UI. What's best about this is that it shows you guys are willing to tackle important - but not so sexy - issues instead of blindly adding bullet-point features. Hopefully the GUI will be more snappy this time around! With all these more granular automation options, I just hope there will be enough for me to actually do :)

Also, the new tech system is great. Although I'm a bit afraid it will contain too many filer techs. What I mean by that is that I prefer all my decisions to have some kind of meaningful impact on the game, so that each technology should really add something, and choosing to research X means that I'm (at least for the time being) missing out on extremely interesting technology Y. The civilization tech tree is a very good example of that. Less is more and all that!

(in reply to Wicky)
Post #: 82
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 4:57:06 PM   
BigWolfChris

2 things really from me

Will we have proper moddability now?  Or still only be able to alter graphics (I'm personally wanting to be able to mod weapons, techs, resources and planet types)

Also, please have an option to disable the story/background.  As I've said plenty of times before, some of us enjoy a true sandbox mode which will no zero storylines or galaxy backgrounds
I appreciate Elliot(?) wants to tell a story, but when you've played through dozens of times, the story gets old and boring (not to mention my personal dislike on how powerful derelicts are)

Hopefully alot more depth is added as well (I'm a depth junky... sorry :P lol )

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 83
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 5:45:51 PM   
Kruos

This expansion looks AWESOME !

Some of the news seems to be inspired from moo2 : variety of fighters, ion weapon concept, shakturi chirurgical hit, etc.. It is GREAT! I cant wait to see how these concepts are integrated in Distant World!

Do not try to released it for christmas, DO IT*!

*: And whithout bug, obviously!

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 84
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 7:17:26 PM   
s20dan

quote:

I am still curious if fonts will be addressed in any way?

quote:

Will we have proper moddability now?  Or still only be able to alter graphics (I'm personally wanting to be able to mod weapons, techs, resources and planet types)

Also, please have an option to disable the story/background.  As I've said plenty of times before, some of us enjoy a true sandbox mode which will no zero storylines or galaxy backgrounds
I appreciate Elliot(?) wants to tell a story, but when you've played through dozens of times, the story gets old and boring (not to mention my personal dislike on how powerful derelicts are)

Could we please have a response to those questions?
Thanks.

(in reply to Kruos)
Post #: 85
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 8:07:57 PM   
WoodMan

I think he said before, full feature list in 1 week, so you should get your answer soon.  I'd also like to know about modding, and also about if the Galactopedia is now moddable, giving you a chance to edit and add pages, if we can add pages, we could have an in-game strategy guide, that would be cool!

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to s20dan)
Post #: 86
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 8:50:14 PM   
s20dan

quote:

I think he said before, full feature list in 1 week,

Ah I must have missed that. I can wait :)
Thanks.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 87
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 9:01:24 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

We should have a Coming Soon forum and a product page with full feature list posted next week.

That statement can be found on the first post of this thread which was made 11/20/2010 Sunday.  This has led me to believe that the 'product page' would be up sometime this week, but that really depends on what he meant by 'next week'....did he mean this week or the next one.....because I believe the new week technically starts on a Sunday and his statement was made on a Sunday USA CST.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to s20dan)
Post #: 88
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 9:14:39 PM   
Shark7

While that may be true, here in the states we generally consider Sunday the weekend, and treat Monday as the start of a new week. So I'm going to wager he meant sometime by this Friday.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 89
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/23/2010 9:46:38 PM   
Igard

I'm still learning the eitiquette of gaming forums, so I'm sorry for asking questions earlier. Basically, 'feature list posted next week' means 'we're not answering any questions'.

I suppose it makes sense, Erik can't be dealing with an onslaught of questions, but I wish people would just speak plainly and say what they mean.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI