Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 8:25:51 PM   
Joubarbe

Do you plan to add other victory conditions :) ?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 121
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 9:12:21 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Some notes on modding support:

* races.txt has additional settings that can be used to control race behavior
o Overall Ship Design Focus: influences both research and design
o Tech Focus 1 & 2: emphasize certain tech areas in both research and design
o Special Government and Preferred Starting Government: allows you to assign any special government type to a race and determine which govt they start with (unless set otherwise in game start)
o Expanding: set to N to have a static empire that does not colonize and is quite reclusive
o Can Be Pirate: flag to indicate whether this race should be used as pirates
o Playable: indicates whether this race can be selected by the player in game setup7
* can now have additional ship image families in the folder images\units\ships. Up to 22 families supported, or limited by your computers memory. Map a race to use these new ship image families in races.txt (Designs picture family index)

MODDING SUPPORT PLANNED POST RELEASE

* file to enable modification of racial biases - customize each races natural disposition towards each other
* maybe other stuff if there's demand for it :)

Regards,

- Erik

Good start for the modders here...

especially the racial biases modification...that will go a long way for a lot of the mods here (Star Trek, Star Wars, etc)

And is there really any question? Of course we demand it!

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 122
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 9:38:24 PM   
ASHBERY76

I see no modding for actual gameplay factors on that list at all.I just see race manipulation options.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 123
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 9:39:36 PM   
Igard

Well Shark, you and I discussed racial bias at great length as I recall, so I'm delighted to hear our efforts weren't for nothing.

These are superb additions for modding. I'm very pleased with the expansion setting, though I'm curious to see how it works in balance with the other races.

Up to 22 ship families = The most significant and most appreciated of all the updates for me. Thanks Codeforce and Matrix.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 124
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 9:41:24 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I see no modding for actual gameplay factors on that list at all.I just see race manipulation options.

Yes there is much that can still be done, Resource and Component modding would be my next big request.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 125
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/26/2010 9:45:25 PM   
The_Great_Mustachio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

Fighter combat is cool and all but it's based off of modern times.

1. What are some uber futuristic advances for this science fiction game, beyond merely better levels of damage of various weapons and strength of defenses?

2. Again, what are some mega constructions, like population centers such as enormous ship city/factory modules, Orbital Habitats, Ringworlds, and Dyson Spheres/Sphere worlds? These could be thought of as "wonders" like in the civilization series game.

A future, or any time period, civilization can be measured by their military, economy, happiness, and great mega construction projects that stand the test of time. These projects are often above and beyond the level of grandness comonly known for their time.

In a science fiction, or any, civilization/empire game I like to feel like I am progressing through different ages or epocs in advances instead of merely incremental advances like months throughout a World War 2 game.

3. Oh yeah, also, can we destroy and create mega constructions, planets, and stars?

If the answers are "no" then simply say so. I can take it and still enjoying playing this game and others similiar to it.

I love these in a game because I grew up reading stuff like Freeman Dyson and it's captured my imagination as a child. I essentially start to drool when i see ring or sphere worlds as buildeable structures in a game.

That being said, these mega constructs are really only useful to civilisation that survive on into the second cosmic era where most stars have died or dimmed and red dwarf stars remain the only source of warmth and energy in the universe. At this level of evolution in the universe, it would become very imported for a civilisation bent on survival, to learn how to harness the full potential energy of a star.

Prior to the scarcity of main sequence stars I think it would always be more economic and efficient to simply colonise or terraform existing planets, even if a civilisation was able to technically build ring-worlds or even sphere-worlds. Then again, building these mega structures could offer an especially paranoid civilisation a means to put all their "eggs" into a small and concentrated (nice and xenophobic, easy to defend) area.

I guess it's a point of debate, all that being said I would still very much love to see these in DW, but i think i would prefer it if it were only available to truly advanced civilisations and it would have to offer enormous bonuses (seeing as how stupendously large these constructs are compared to planet surfaces).

Oh yeah... about the expansion

I love everything i've seen so far. It seems like just the other day i was posting about how the tech-tree could use a little love and we could use some more variation in fleets, and now here is exactly that! And I didn't even know this expansion was coming!! Pleasantly surprised is the phrase i would use... definitely excited as well.

< Message edited by The_Great_Mustachio -- 11/26/2010 9:49:14 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 126
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 4:44:08 AM   
Simulation01

What about wormholes and jumpgates?

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to The_Great_Mustachio)
Post #: 127
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 4:59:58 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

What about wormholes and jumpgates?

I think wormholes might make the galaxy feel smaller having short cuts everywhere. On the other hand, strategically important locations are cool to fight over.

Jumpgates would be cool for an advanced, large empire. You could jump a fleet of ships from one side of your empire to respond to a threat on the other side of the empire, saving alot of time.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 128
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 5:12:21 AM   
Simulation01

You're right about having too many wormholes making the game feel small, but to counter that you could make only one pair per game.....they would be hard fought gems in the crown of any empire.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 129
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 4:44:27 PM   
Simulation01

Today is Saturday.....where is my product page?

Post #: 130
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 4:50:05 PM   
ASHBERY76

I would have thought carriers ship type should have been factored into the summary and design screens now we have fighters.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 131
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 11:19:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

The product page is up in the Coming Soon section. The box art is a placeholder and new screenshots are also on the way, but the information is up to date.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/398/details/Distant.Worlds.-.Return.of.the.Shakturi

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 132
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/27/2010 11:46:42 PM   
Evil Steve

Interesting list, Erik. As an aside, is there a way in the expansion to nuance your automated ship design? Design for speed, or defence,or attack, or range etc??

Stevil

Post #: 133
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 1:34:44 AM   
Wade1000

Thanks, Erik. It looks good.

I don't suppose either of the two new races are robotic and/or cyborg, or are they?

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Evil Steve)
Post #: 134
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 2:06:36 AM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

••Trace Scanners reveal internal details of enemy ships and bases

This I like.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 135
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 7:26:34 AM   
J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

Thanks, Erik. It looks good.

I don't suppose either of the two new races are robotic and/or cyborg, or are they?

Hoping so. DWs races are well done but it needs more AI and robotics.

Nice list. It seems like Shakturi "may" return, so it's tied to galactic discoveries perhaps. Souns good.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 136
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 1:26:03 PM   
ASHBERY76

Has the maximum number of starting Empires been increased for the 2 new races?

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 11/28/2010 1:27:01 PM >

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 137
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 3:55:48 PM   
WoodMan

Sounds like maybe they arrive part way through the game, as they are part of the storyline.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 138
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 4:45:07 PM   
ZeroSum

Erik,

Can you please answer the following question.....

I am still curious if fonts will be addressed in any way?

quote:

FONTS (More readable fonts when using higher resolutions) My Monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080.

My eyesight is just not what it use to be and the current fonts are a real struggle for me. Will this issue be addressed?

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 139
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 5:03:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

The two new races are part of the storyline, so not playable races (at least at release). However, one of them is robotic - the other as you can probably guess is the Shakturi. I don't want to spoil the storyline, so I can't say much more than that.

Improving visibility is on our list. We hope the new revamped empire policy and empire summary screens will help with that, as well as some of the other interface improvements. We have not changed the font, but some of the other improvements make reading small text less necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ZeroSum)
Post #: 140
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 5:07:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil Steve
Interesting list, Erik. As an aside, is there a way in the expansion to nuance your automated ship design? Design for speed, or defence,or attack, or range etc??

Yes, have a look at this:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Evil Steve)
Post #: 141
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 5:08:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

A few more screenshots that may be of interest:

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 142
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 5:08:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

Found this just floating around - look back at this screenshot after you've played the expansion.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 143
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 5:18:57 PM   
Simulation01

Erik, did you guys include star trek style beam weapons ( phasers ) in the expansion?  If so....could you provide a screenshot?

Post #: 144
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 6:32:11 PM   
malisle

Hi! Are there any changes in game editor; can we add resources manually now?

Keep up the good work,I really like what I see =)

Post #: 145
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 10:28:35 PM   
lancer

G'day,

Looking good.

Wondering if there is anything in the expansion that allows the player to tweak the prevelance of resources or if there are any changes to the games underlying resource model?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to malisle)
Post #: 146
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 10:35:39 PM   
ZeroSum

quote:

Improving visibility is on our list. We hope the new revamped empire policy and empire summary screens will help with that, as well as some of the other interface improvements. We have not changed the font, but some of the other improvements make reading small text less necessary.

Regards,

- Erik

Sounds good, thank you.

-ZeroSum

Post #: 147
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 10:44:55 PM   
hondo1375

Hi Erik, glad to hear the expansion is on the way. I posted something a couple of months ago after the last patch concerning bugs and niggles and I wonder if any of them are fixed/addressed in the expansion. It doesn't specify them although there is a catch-all that they could fall under. Thanks!

-------------------

1. The interface. It is certainly not the worst game interface, but I feel I'm wrestling with it a lot:
a. The system zoom key often just zooms me into blank space. b. One of the zoom keys often zooms me into a full screen of a star (why would I ever want that view?). c. There are references to system names and moons that aren't clickable and there appears no easy way to find them. d. I can't disable automate from the bottom left ship card, but have to go into another screen. Etc. I'm sure over time these will be cleaned up, but they are frustrating right now.

2. Fuel. In principle, this is a good mechanic, but the current execution is often frustrating. For example, I had a fleet on an offensive in a distant enemy system, and I was moving a resupply ship into place to deploy to refuel the fleet. However, the fleet was low on fuel. Even though the ships were set to manual, they started warping away to refuel at a distant star which would have put them out of action for a long time. If they'd hung around a few more minutes they could have refueled at the resupply ship. I kept grabbing them manually and bringing them back. It felt like herding cats in the end and I gave up. Some way to disable this automated behaviour would be welcome.

More to the point, I think some mechanic where tankers can be sent with fleets and auto refuel the fleet would take a lot of the pain out of this. Other games and RL do it like this, so why not? Also, tankers set to auto should be able to fly around your empire tracking down out of fuel ships limping around and auto refuel them Currently, micomanaging this is zero fun. Amateurs might study strategy, while professionals study logistics, but that's because strategy is a lot more fun than logistics.

3. Lots of little niggles. For example:
a. Sometimes automated constructors get caught in black holes: I can build stuff fine around a black hole if I micro manage, but the game isn't about micromanaging.
b. I cued up a whole fleet at a planet that never got build, although they appeared as under construction in the ship list. A bug, perhaps?
c. I had a supply ship that had filled itself up with hydrogen but when the fleet upgraded to argon-driven reactors I couldn't empty it and therefore couldn't refuel anything. Also, it would be nice to be able to load up resupply ships at spaceports, rather than having to extract at stars only.

--------------

Post #: 148
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/28/2010 11:32:58 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

Hi guys,

The two new races are part of the storyline, so not playable races (at least at release). However, one of them is robotic - the other as you can probably guess is the Shakturi. I don't want to spoil the storyline, so I can't say much more than that.

Regards,

- Erik

Thanks.

I imagine...
The Shakturi on their way with their minion race of robots leading the way. Distant Worlds galaxy seems certainly doomed to be conquered.

Some unforeseen and unusual event causes the robotic minion race to become independent of the Shakturi. The robotic race arrives first in the galaxy and decides to prepare to face their former masters who will also soon arrive. The robotic race cares little for the galaxy races but will consider cooperating with them to better confront the Shakturi.

Now, it seems, the Distant Worlds galaxy races MAY have a chance to compete with the Shakturi. It may require much cooperation... or much conquering.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 11/28/2010 11:36:55 PM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

Post #: 149
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 11/29/2010 1:50:00 AM   
adecoy95

argh, now i dont want to play non expansion distant worlds 

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI