Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finns can attack across the line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finns can attack across the line Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finns can attack across the line - 1/2/2011 11:14:29 PM   
Avenger

I had no idea that this would happen. When I linked up with the Finns in the Grand Campaign and brought them below the no attack line, they were able to attack. They couldn't do it until I linked up with them. What a massive turn in the campaign this turned out to be.
Post #: 1
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/2/2011 11:54:53 PM   
Q-Ball

Even better, they can man the front during Winter. You shouldn't need a single German anywhere above the Finnish No-Move line; the Finns can take care of themselves, even split into Regiments. That should free-up 20+ German Divisions for elsewhere.

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 2
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/3/2011 12:16:33 AM   
Avenger

What actually triggered their ability to attack? Was it because I conquered Leningrad or because I went one hex beyond and linked up with them?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 3
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/3/2011 12:23:46 AM   
PeeDeeAitch

You captured Leningrad - that is the trigger for them to attack iirc.

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 4
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/13/2011 6:00:16 AM   
76mm

In a current PBEM game of Road to Leningrad, I (as Soviet player) still hold Leningrad, but to my great surprise, the Finns were able to attack my units south of the No Attack Line.

On the Eastern side of the Finnish front, I neglected to block the No Attack Line with units and therefore allowed some Finns to move (not attack) into Russia.  They still could not attack me, so I move a couple of units behind them to cut them off, and ended up moving a couple of rifle divisions into Finland--could this have been the trigger for allowing the Finns to attack me near Leningrad?  If so, once I withdraw these divisions into Russia will the Finns still be able to attack?

(in reply to PeeDeeAitch)
Post #: 5
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/13/2011 6:25:29 AM   
Joel Billings

AFAIK, the Finns can't attack until both Leningrad hexes are captured. If you have a save with them attacking, please send it to 2by3@2by3games.com. Thanks.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 6
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/15/2011 5:28:16 AM   
76mm

It was in an on-going mulitplayer game, so I don't have a save--can you access it from the server? I only have one active MP game (with another inactive).

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 7
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/15/2011 7:47:55 AM   
Joel Billings

I downloaded the turn 15 German turn and no German attacks south of the line are possible. I downloaded the turn 14 Soviet turn and it does show a German attack south of the line near Leningrad. I don't know how that could happen. I'll have to ask Gary if he can think of what might have caused this. It shouldn't happen. Unfortunately I can't go back further on the server. An Axis player should not take advantage of this ability to attack if the two Leningrad hexes are not occupied. If anyone ever sees this again, please save the game and send me the save during the German turn where the attacks are possible.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 8
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/15/2011 8:22:22 AM   
76mm

I think there was only the one attack that you saw.

Can we save turns from MP games normally?

Post #: 9
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/15/2011 7:22:12 PM   
Joel Billings

No, you can't save them locally, so you need to save on the server at that point and immediately alert me if there is a situation online that comes up so I can go back one save.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 10
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/15/2011 9:44:08 PM   
stormbringer3

I was able to have the Finns attack and move across the no attack line. I had German CUs next to the line and when I used a deliberate attack on the Russian units that were adjacent to my German CUs, the Finns who were across the line and adjacent to the Russians also lit up. When I executed the attack they participated. When the attack was over, I was able to move the Finns into the Russian vacated hex but only that hex. I was able to do this more than once. The first time I was able to do this the Germans were in x82, y13 and the Finns I used were in x82, y12 or x81, y12, but I forgot which hex. The Russians were in x81, y13. I definitely did not conquer both the Lenningrad hexes. I only had x81, y16.
I hope this helps.

Post #: 11
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/16/2011 4:10:56 PM   
HHI

In my SU vs German A/I, the Finns moved south of the line, with Leningrad securely in SU possession. I was surprized to see them half-way to the vital rail link running north-south. Some units, although only opposed by a couple of NKVD units, did not move. I'm guessing there may be some kind of garrison requirement to prevent this movement by the Finns. Additionally, when SU units moved to oppose the Finns, they did not attack, although having superiority.

HHi

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 12
RE: Finns can attack across the line - 1/16/2011 9:14:12 PM   
76mm

HHI, there are two seperate lines: a no attack line and a no move line. Finnish units can indeed move south of the no attack line if they don't have to attack a unit to do so. The key (which I failed to do in my MP game, is to be sure to create a thin line of trooops along the no move line to prevent this from happening.

(in reply to HHI)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finns can attack across the line Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI