Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/2/2011 11:26:53 PM   
moses

Thats why I'm moving as fast as I can. I've killed 121 complete divisions so far in 9 weeks. I've got 8 weeks of clear weather and 10 hexes to reach it.

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 91
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/3/2011 4:26:12 PM   
moses

Week 10 is complete. I've reached the 2 million casualty milestone--129 divisions gone.

My initial attacks in the center went poorly. Russians units wern't that strong but I just seemed to get a few bad rolls so I decided to take the 30 miles he gave me and consolidate a bit. As it happened, while I moved my troops up I found a few weak stacks and got some good results. Anyway I'm 70 miles from Moscow.

While I grind away near Moscow and Lenningrade opportunities have arisen in 3 secondary fronts. (Velikie Luki-RZhev area------Gomel-Bryansk---and the far south) in all three the Russians have become decisively engaged.

For example here is the Velkie Luki area. Only one group is truly isolated but two more are going to have trouble falling back in good order. If he pulls back he will be leaving units behind to be mopped up. If he tries to hold I think he will be in worse shape a week later.

I suspect it will take week 11 and 12 to clean this area up. Then all 3 armies head east for the decisive battle of Moscow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 1/3/2011 4:31:10 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 92
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/3/2011 4:33:31 PM   
moses

Here's the south where I have broken out nicely.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 93
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/3/2011 7:42:32 PM   
invernomuto

AAR subscribed!

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 94
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/4/2011 3:28:48 PM   
Avenger

You are doing much better than I did in my first game versus the AI. In week 17 I backed off of Moscow and dug in for the winter. I just had gotten there too late. The Soviet Army just grows too fast. Good going.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 95
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/4/2011 6:46:20 PM   
moses

I'm just now seeing what looks like troops digging in before Moscow. So maybe he has seen the danger and is sending everything he has. It will be interesting to see whatn happens in this final stretch. He no longer has any space to trade for time and will have to fight me head-to-head. I expect I will be able to inflict many losses.

I've recieved the turn from Tophat and he has not fallen back at all anywhere except around Kiev. The days of chasing Russians are over. Now we fight.

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 96
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 5:27:22 AM   
jwilkerson

Looks like the Russians might be getting a wee bit stronger also, I see a few "2s" and "3s" out there amongst the sea of "1s" ... BTW I finally downloaded the game and can clearly see that the NODL defense will not work. The German armor does have way too much movement, not to mention combat strength.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 97
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 11:30:54 AM   
moses

Week 12 and another brutal week for the Russians. Look at the operation down South where about 20 divisions are encircled.

My panzers cut a swath through the Russians but then the SS gets excited and goes too far!! If it stops 2 hexes earlier then there would have been no escape. Now all those Russians will flee.

Russians probably will get 8 to 10 MP's each and they have to cross a major river. I expect a whole lot of tired, unsupplied, unfortified Russians to be sitting in the blue circle at the start of next turn. Maybe I will attack them directly or.......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 1/5/2011 11:38:46 AM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 98
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 11:41:19 AM   
moses

This would be nice

There is nothing in the area West and SW of Kursk. If he defends the short encirclement I just might be able to do it. I only really have to cut the rails from Kursk next turn. My infantry from the North is really unstoppable. It will advance a hex or so each week. About 30 or 40 divisions could get trapped.

In any event Tophat is going to have to move some units fast into the area west of Kursk. Everywhere you look will be tired unfortified Russians. Could be fun.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 1/5/2011 11:52:29 AM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 99
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 12:19:43 PM   
moses

Moscow Front.

A key decision is when or if to pull the 9th Army (in green) out of the northern line and head to Moscow. The 2nd Army (Blue) would spread out and fill the gap to it's right.

It would seem an easy decision as 11 added divisions gives me a huge edge in Moscow. On the other hand those guys are doing well where they are. Note the 3 divisions encircled. They do this every week now. 30/40K per week for 6 more weeks adds up to a lot of troops I won't be facing over the winter.

BTW at start of next turn my rail wll be repaired up to Vyazma. This attack is fully supplied!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 1/5/2011 12:28:06 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 100
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 1:40:51 PM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Looks like the Russians might be getting a wee bit stronger also, I see a few "2s" and "3s" out there amongst the sea of "1s" ... BTW I finally downloaded the game and can clearly see that the NODL defense will not work. The German armor does have way too much movement, not to mention combat strength.

I don't realy see them getting stronger at this point. Russian strength is just over 4 million which is where it has been from the start. I expect the next 5 weeks will be the bloodiest yet as he can no longer retreat. If my pocket in the south pans out the Russians might lose 1.5 to 2 million men in the next 5 weeks. This is well beyond replacement and it is easy to imagine going into the mud turns with a Russian army in the 3 to 3.5 million range.

The german army is above 3 million and with the minor allies the axis would be numerically equal to the Russians and much better in quality. Keeping in mind that a chunk of the Russian army is stuck in the caucusas I might get through winter safely.

I think Tophat just lost too many troops fighting forward in those early weeks. That put him at a disadvantage in the later battles which allowed me to inflict greater losses still. He is just unable to put up a solid front and so every week I cut off a slice of his army.

I do expect the Moscow defences to thicken very quickly but that will be at the expence of all the other areas.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 101
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 3:48:11 PM   
MrLongleg

My opponent di ch better by running away from turn 1 one. His casualties are way lower and I am having a hard time inflicting big casualties. It is turn 16 and single rifle divs already can have defense values around 10. Only bright spot is that I create a nice pocket in the Kursk area with 20+ divisions in it. At turn 10 the Russian casualties were about 400 K lower than in your fight. Now I only have one clear turn left before the mud season kicks in.

MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 102
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 4:43:38 PM   
moses

I wonder what would happen if a Russian player just flat out ran to his final defence line from turn 1. Move everything to a line 3 hexes in front of Moscow and dig in. In the South everything runs across the Dnepr and goes about 10-15 hexes further and digs in. Everything moves as fast as it's MP's allow.

I suppose you could go 5 or 6 weeks with the Russian losing very few casualties other then the normal amount for the first two weeks. The German would arrive at the final line way before the historical date but at the end of a long supply line. What then?

The German army would be fresh since it would had done little more then a long unopposed march. Perhaps after a week building supply the German would still crush the Soviets. Or perhaps the Russians fortified and at full strength would stop the german cold.

Someone will try it.

(in reply to MrLongleg)
Post #: 103
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 4:58:04 PM   
karonagames

quote:

Or perhaps the Russians fortified and at full strength would stop the german cold.

Don't think so - only fortified urban hexes generate scary defensive CVs. In clear terrain you might get to level 4 entrenchments in 6 weeks if you were in civilian digger range of Moscow. You could stuff it with the tank heavy motorised divisions and get the CVs up in the 90s, but the line outside of digger range would struggle to get to lvl3 and CVs might get into the 40s. Once the Germans arrive they would just make spoiling attacks to reduce the entrenchments, and I think they would last no more than 6 weeks. 5 weeks of clear to push past Moscow and 6 weeks to dig in before the blizzard.

Someone might try it, but it won't be me.

It's only a Game

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 104
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 5:45:50 PM   
moses

You may well be correct, but I wonder.

The Russians can almost stop the german around Smolensk. Not quite of course as any competant German player will break that line. But it's not a totally one-sided fight. Tophat tried to hold at Mongliev!! and even there it took two weeks hard fighting to destroy his army.

Go 20 hexes east of Smolansk and the Russian gets two more weeks to reinforce and dig in. The German is that much further from the railhead.

Might allow the german to do some funny things though. Allow the minor allies to occupy the evacuated AGS area with the rest of AGS headed straight to Moscow.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 105
RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. - 1/5/2011 5:58:55 PM   
Flaviusx

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

I wonder what would happen if a Russian player just flat out ran to his final defence line from turn 1. Move everything to a line 3 hexes in front of Moscow and dig in.

Bad idea. There's far better defensive terrain west of here along the Dvina-Smolensk landbridge-Dnepr area. You've got to make the German work for Smolensk, not just give it away.

I'm going to fight hard here every time and make the German pay for the place in blood. If you can delay things here into, say, late August, that chews up a lot of time and doesn't leave the German with many clear turns to grab the big prize.

None of the Soviet players I've seen thus far have quite figured out how to really turn this area into a grind for the German, however. But it can be done.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 1/5/2011 5:59:41 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 106
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Moses(axis) vs. Tophat1812. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI