Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Things that don't work as they should

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Things that don't work as they should Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Things that don't work as they should - 12/17/2000 5:04:00 AM   
Blackbird

Haven't seen anyone talking about this, am I ony one seeing these errors? First, I've never seen sniper throwing hand granade. He can be next to enemy or on him, but he will never throw that. Second, I think this is new bug with 4.4. All guns in my campaign can move and fire in same turn. I play for Russians, maybe it's just them, or what? Third, in same game I have never seen any type of fort (bunker, MG nest,...). I did have assault missions, but AI did not buy forts. Also, I never got to buy them, but I'm not sure if I had defend mission.

Post #: 1
- 12/17/2000 11:33:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by Blackbird: Haven't seen anyone talking about this, am I ony one seeing these errors? First, I've never seen sniper throwing hand granade. He can be next to enemy or on him, but he will never throw that. Second, I think this is new bug with 4.4. All guns in my campaign can move and fire in same turn. I play for Russians, maybe it's just them, or what? Third, in same game I have never seen any type of fort (bunker, MG nest,...). I did have assault missions, but AI did not buy forts. Also, I never got to buy them, but I'm not sure if I had defend mission.
Firstly: A quick check of the US Army OOB reveals that the US Sniper does not come with grenades. Actually the only weapon the sniper has is the sniper rifle. NB: As snipers are only one man THEY CAN ONLY USE one weapon, that in slot one. SO: No one man unit can fire with other than slot one weapon - therefore no sniper (one man team) should be able to use grenades (even if you add them to the OOB). This of course doesn't tell us why a scout team reduced to one man can kill a pill box while a one man sniper can't. Secondly: I have found (playing US in U2R) that guns (57mm, MMG, etc, lose the ability to fire the slot one weapon although most were able to fire the lower slot (personal) weapons. Thirdly: I've played games where the defending AI has bought bunkers etc - so it does happen. Only defenders can buy field defences - try a "battle" game as the defender and they will be available (misc list).

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 2
- 12/17/2000 10:57:00 PM   
Blackbird

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kao16: Firstly: A quick check of the US Army OOB reveals that the US Sniper does not come with grenades. Actually the only weapon the sniper has is the sniper rifle. NB: As snipers are only one man THEY CAN ONLY USE one weapon, that in slot one. SO: No one man unit can fire with other than slot one weapon - therefore no sniper (one man team) should be able to use grenades (even if you add them to the OOB). OK, but then why Soviet Snipers have grenades? Or is this just in my OOB? Secondly: I have found (playing US in U2R) that guns (57mm, MMG, etc, lose the ability to fire the slot one weapon although most were able to fire the lower slot (personal) weapons. Strange, I've tried US 57mm, and it doesn't have secondary weapon. And it can move and fire it's primary gun. Same is with howitzers, they can move and then direct fire, but not indirect. In my games only MG's and mortars lose the ability to fire primary weapon after moving. And there is US 37mm AT gun, it has secondary weapon, but with zero rounds for it. Could it be that my OOB's are corrupted? Talking about howitzers and mortars, why do they have minimum range only for indirect fire? Or again only my howitzers can fire on them selfs, and strangely not get any suppression from that. Thirdly: I've played games where the defending AI has bought bunkers etc - so it does happen. Only defenders can buy field defences - try a "battle" game as the defender and they will be available (misc list). Yes they are available, but AI refuses to buy them. I've done few tests with "battle game", and it looks that when ever germans are defending, AI will not buy forts. But for US or Soviets AI buys them. Maybe is german AI smarter, and knows that it can not place them as they should be, so it spends points on other stuff. I know that AI should be very complex to place bunkers as expirienced player can, but I don't understand why sometimes it buys some stuff, leaves it at map edge, and then rushes with it forward. I've seen that he does this with SP mortars, and so he can not use them for indirect fire. Even when they are in rage to fire, they move for some strange reason.

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 3
- 12/18/2000 5:00:00 AM   
Igor

Talking about howitzers and mortars, why do they have minimum range only for indirect fire? Or again only my howitzers can fire on them selfs, and strangely not get any suppression from that. That one is simple physics; the barrel can't be elevated a full 90, so the shells/bombs have to travel some distance downrange even on the smallest driving charge. Yes, I know that some mortars can fire right overhead; but that's rather rare behavior even during last ditch defence situations. During direct fire, however, the gun is simply being pointed right at the enemy. Mortars can't do this, but guns can; so they can ignore the niceties of high angle fire. As for the howitzers firing on themselves; they're actually firing over open sights at some unworthy recipient down on the other end of the hex. Having a 75 or 105 shell going off in your own hex can be dangerous to the crew; but less so than getting overrun, so they tend to be pretty steady about it.

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 4
- 12/18/2000 6:34:00 AM   
Blackbird

quote:

Originally posted by Igor: As for the howitzers firing on themselves; they're actually firing over open sights at some unworthy recipient down on the other end of the hex. Having a 75 or 105 shell going off in your own hex can be dangerous to the crew; but less so than getting overrun, so they tend to be pretty steady about it.
I was trying US 105 howitzer, and concluded that there is very little danger in it when fireing directly (with 'Z' key) on units few hexes away. And it looks funny when that shell goes off in howitzer hex, and crew doesn't care for it, but all units aroud them get suppression.

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 5
- 12/18/2000 9:34:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by Blackbird: [QUOTE]Originally posted by kao16: Firstly: A quick check of the US Army OOB reveals that the US Sniper does not come with grenades. Actually the only weapon the sniper has is the sniper rifle. NB: As snipers are only one man THEY CAN ONLY USE one weapon, that in slot one. SO: No one man unit can fire with other than slot one weapon - therefore no sniper (one man team) should be able to use grenades (even if you add them to the OOB). OK, but then why Soviet Snipers have grenades? Or is this just in my OOB? [/B]
I don't know. How about trying to turn off the rifle and see if they use the grenade (I,m not at home otherwise I would try it myself).

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 6
- 12/19/2000 1:44:00 AM   
BA Evans

Have you used the 'C' key? First, select your target with the 'T' key. Second, use the 'C' key to pick the weapon that you want fired. BA Evans

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 7
- 12/19/2000 2:12:00 AM   
JTGEN

Howitzers should not be able to fire at their own hex!!! Tehy should not be able to use negative angles in firing. Lets think that the shell leaves the barrell at 800m/s and in one second it goes downwards 10m and the barrell is 1m from the ground. So it hits the ground at 8o metres and the hex is 50 metres. When i was in the coastal artillery our 130 mm guns minimum range was 300 mm and there we could use 2 degrees negative angle with special guns, not howitzers. But the guns were placed at high ground so the shell does not reach the ground at 300m, but we had to use time fuzes that detonate the shell in the air. Think what it is like to be in a landing barge when that shrappnell lands on you.

(in reply to Blackbird)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Things that don't work as they should Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI