Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

This looks like a swell game, Why no activity?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 4:44:09 AM   
mantrain

I just purchased this game, and my first impression is a pleasant interface, an improvement over AT.
Is there some underlying problem with this game? because I would expect a nice game like this to have more of a following! or is there a forum on a different web-site that people are posting on?
Post #: 1
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 5:20:54 AM   
RocketMan

I really like the game and don't understand why it isn't more popular myself. There are no problems with the game that I have found, other than some interface improvements that would be nice to have, but they are by no means a big deal. I don't know of any other website people are posting at either.

(in reply to mantrain)
Post #: 2
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 7:09:02 AM   
Spechtmeise

Content is limited so far. Some additional scenarios are needed. The game as such is excellent.

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get Me!

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 3
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 9:04:33 AM   
cillmhor

I hope the game has attracted the following it deserves. The game has a great feel, and despite the relative paucity of scenarios, there is enough depth and variants to keep you going for a while. I guess most of the questions regarding the game were answered pretty early on, and some excellent AARs have also shown how to play the game. And so with very few bugs or issues, what reason do people have to post, other than to reaffirm how good the slick the game is. It's a great system and I'm really looking forward to the next installment.

I recently purchased another hex-based game, a grand-strategy WW2 game, and despite it having a very loyal following, and being a very good game in itself, I just couldn't get into it. After playing Decisive Campaigns, the new purchase lacked the immersion and gloss of DC for me. It felt too generic for me. Suffice to say, after enjoying the Decisive Battles series and The Operational Art of War, I think I have now found my hex-based fix.

Post #: 4
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 10:43:30 AM   
helgi

Agree with what's been said already. This game is excellent, seems historically accurate and delivers really interesting and balanced scenarios based on the early war. Look forward to more scenarios because the engine is the best I've seen yet (haven't tried War in the East yet, that's on the buying list for the near future).

Only real problem with the game for me is also one of its biggest strengths - it's so large, the battles so immersive, that it takes a hell of time to get through a scenario.

As for the lack of activity, in my case at least it's because it's more important to organize my B1's and Somuas for the counterattack against the Nazi invaders, rather than sitting around on the message board - the Republic needs me!

(in reply to cillmhor)
Post #: 5
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 10:50:17 AM   
Keunert

My guess is that War in the East attracts partly the same crowd and probably took away some attention from DC:WtP.
at least this is my pbem experience: some of my contacts moved to war in the east and no longer play this one.

(in reply to helgi)
Post #: 6
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 1:16:34 PM   
NefariousKoel

It's a great game, but I've not been at it since I bought so many other great games during the Christmas season.

The difference being that I've been overkilled on WW2 for awhile now, so I've put it on the back burner and will revisit it once I'm less burned out on the subject.

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 7
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 3:27:32 PM   
leridano

It´s a "young" game: new expansions and features will have necessarily to come in the future so the game will become more and more interesting. I like the game much.

< Message edited by leridano -- 1/11/2011 3:29:01 PM >

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 8
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/11/2011 6:56:26 PM   
Hexagon

Is a new game, need more patches (i wait until a higlight system in formations), more scenarios (tactical scens like one covering Belgium invasion or road to Dunkirk, other center in the Meuse cross... with variants) and new titles (i wait an east front title )... but main problem is the lack of scens (for me short scens) and of course, every new game need fight against older boys

(in reply to leridano)
Post #: 9
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 1:56:40 AM   
gwgardner

Excellent game, but perhaps some players like me are in an after-holidays slump. Back to reality after playing games like crazy.

I personally have an open AAR which I have every intention of completing.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 10
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 3:51:55 AM   
Nomowhale

I have been playing wargames on the PC for a real long time, and this game is one of the best I have played. The early war focus of the game is not as popular as other mainstays---Russia, Normandy, Market Garden, Bulge, etc. so that could be one of the reasons for a lack of buzz. Plus, WITE is dominating the boards now (as it should). I just bought the game a few weeks ago, but the system is not difficult to pick up. I was actually drawn to the game because of the early Blitzkreig focus. It is definitely something different for me at least. I hope this series continues. It is a keeper.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 11
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 11:06:13 AM   
Vic

Work on ATG is nearing completion. Just about 8 weeks of work left now. so i am getting close to returning to DC. Cant wait to be honest.

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Nomowhale)
Post #: 12
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 1:12:23 PM   
Keunert

so please tell us what you plan to do with this gem, Vic!

< Message edited by Keunert -- 1/12/2011 1:35:06 PM >

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 13
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 4:15:21 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: RocketMan

I really like the game and don't understand why it isn't more popular myself. There are no problems with the game that I have found, other than some interface improvements that would be nice to have, but they are by no means a big deal. I don't know of any other website people are posting at either.

You're right about that, I bought DC when it came out, enjoyed it tremendously. But I have this same feeling, where *is* everyone? Then came War in the East, and blammo; 2 new pages of new topics *every-single* day, lots of AAR's. It takes me almost an hour per day just to read the topics in the WitE sub-forum. Why is that? The games are very similar in looks, depth and quality. The only thing I can think of that WitE is a successor of a legendary game, and it covers the East Front, whereas DC does the West Front. Other than that I have no clue as to why the DC community is so much smaller than the WitE group...

The one huge difference Advanced Tactics has versus WitE/ Decisive Campaigns is ... production. That is where AT shines, making it much more gamey/ what if gameplay, instead of a simulation of the war in the East conflict. I know lots of War in the East gamers wanted a production element, but no go. Personally I think that 's a good thing, WitE is a simulation. Maybe a Decisive Campaign in the East, *with* production.... (you know, you need everything at the same time, what do you produce? Strategic Bombers? Heavy Tanks? Security forces? Engineers?) will hit the sweet spot again.

Other than that, it baffles me too this huge difference between the activity in WitE and Decisive Campaigns... the latter deserves more.
I sincerely hope the sales of DC didn't disappoint Victor .

Oh, here's a German site that I frequently visit too: http://www.si-games.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117
It has outstanding AAR's, and the Germans sure know how to write compelling AAR's. Besides, they're extremely polite as well. Well it's in German, soooo, better polish up your foreign languages.

(in reply to RocketMan)
Post #: 14
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/12/2011 10:57:20 PM   
willgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

You're right about that, I bought DC when it came out, enjoyed it tremendously. But I have this same feeling, where *is* everyone? Then came War in the East, and blammo; 2 new pages of new topics *every-single* day, lots of AAR's. It takes me almost an hour per day just to read the topics in the WitE sub-forum. Why is that? The games are very similar in looks, depth and quality. The only thing I can think of that WitE is a successor of a legendary game, and it covers the East Front, whereas DC does the West Front. Other than that I have no clue as to why the DC community is so much smaller than the WitE group...

more clues:

1. legendary designer

2. long awaited.... huge buzz....

3. offers instant playability with the tingily thrill of vast encirclements

4. many mirky play mechanics, even with a nearly 400 page manual, that prompts discussions

5. lots of advice needed from playtesters to advance beyond #3 and become truely expert (see #4)

Why I like WtP:

1. I feel like I have a handle on all the game mechanics

2. minimum of micro management

3. thrill of encirclements (just not vast ones!)

4. doesn't take 6-8 hours to move the first turn

5. AI turns <5 minutes on my machine

6. above average AI coding

7. card system is a clever approach that will get even better in the future

n.b. Vic, More please! I'm ready now to purchase expanded DCs.

Rex Lex or Lex Rex?

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 15
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/22/2011 7:47:30 AM   
warishere

I might be interested in buyng the game but as usual, I have a few questions.

1. I'm not a big fan of the NATO symbols in wargaming. I would much rather see a tank icon or an infantry icon etc..etc.. that represents the units in the game. Every screenshot I've seen of this game has NATO symbols, is there any way to activate a different symbol to represent your units? I know most wargamers love the Nato symbols and counters... I don't mind the counters but please, no nato symbols.

2. Ohh boy, this game has playing cards.... *gulp* ... ok, what exactly do these little things do? I would hate to see a game decided by an opponent that has a stronger.. uhhh.. playing card than I do. Please explain why these things are in the game.

3. I might have pinpointed why this board is not more active. On the "product info" page, one the first things I read is this and I quote...

quote:

The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris simulates Germany’s military successes in Poland and France in 1939 and 1940

Ok, right away I get the impression that this game heavily favors the Germans. What makes WTP a balanced game? Can I just use blitzkrieg tactics and dominate the game with ease or what? Please explain... thanks...

< Message edited by warishere -- 1/22/2011 7:48:02 AM >

(in reply to willgamer)
Post #: 16
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/22/2011 8:54:02 PM   
Keunert

1 depends on the zoom level.middle level has inf and art and tank pictures. plus i think you can change it.

2 there are three different types of cards:

one level of cards play on a strategical level that will influence the game heavily: like a british landing in poland. the strategical cards allow for 'what if' and add replayability. but if you play scenarios on historical setting they are not available. the scenario briefing informs you what cards are available.

the corps commanders and army hq cards reflect special abilities of different commanders: some have faster dig in cards, other have speed up cards liek guderian.

political points; each side has political points and may gain some points each turn. you can spend them by playing cards: those allow scenario specific decisions: the dutch can flood the polders, the german may use paratroopers, the french buy more rail transport capacity.

the cards are a big plus to the game. but on historical they aren't game changer, they add a strategical and in the commanders cade an individual flavour to the game.

3. i played the poles several times now on pbem. you'll lose a lot of your troops, you'll lose a lot of terrain, but so far i won because i denied the german warsaw long enough. so the game adds balance to the scenarios by forcing the german player to blitzkrieg really fast and hard: if he doesn't concentrate on his goals he will lose.

i recommend to read the awesome chocolino polish scenario aar. you'll see what a good player can do against a german attacker.

(in reply to warishere)
Post #: 17
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/22/2011 9:57:44 PM   
Spechtmeise

Decisive Campaigns is a very accessible game. WitE may be accessible as well, but I read about turns that take hours to prepare. I find that really scary. I look forward to more scenarios, campaigns, and whole new theatres from Vic.

Just Because I'm Paranoid Doesn't Mean They're Not Out to Get Me!

(in reply to Keunert)
Post #: 18
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/27/2011 10:59:19 AM   
Korzun

WitE is an accessible game. It plays out very intuitively, so turns may take hours but once you are into a scenario or campaign WitE is very satisfying and not scary at all. However, I have just decided to get the DC WtP game. The positive feedback in the forums has finally convinced me.

(in reply to Spechtmeise)
Post #: 19
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 1/27/2011 1:04:26 PM   
vonRocko

The game worked when released. It was nice to be able to play this game immediately. This game was so well done that we weren't subjected to all the bitching and moaning posts. No need too post much when the game works.
Thanks Vic. other developers could learn from you.

(in reply to Korzun)
Post #: 20
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 2/8/2011 8:00:09 PM   
Skanvak

That look interesting, but just another game on WWII. It is true I took WitE and that I am waiting for WiF. May it is because it is only Warsaw to Paris and that I already have a game on this period (that I don't play). Though I read there is multi for one side that look interesting. I guess with north africa I might be interested or a Burma campaign.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 21
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 2/24/2011 8:33:35 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko
The game worked when released. It was nice to be able to play this game immediately. This game was so well done that we weren't subjected to all the bitching and moaning posts. No need too post much when the game works.
Thanks Vic. other developers could learn from you.

+1, lack of posts can be a good thing, people just getting on playing the game, not having to constantly ask 'why is it doing this'.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 22
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/9/2011 6:44:35 PM   
Slazz

I have no idea really, this is a fantastic War Game at it's level. To many games I have tried in the past get weighed down by almost limitless options. It can be overwhelming to some people, me included.

The variants alone are well worth it in replay value, I have tried a number of ways playing the full campaign and each is a different game.

Another reason is i think some people are put off by the period, which if they would just do a little research and see how many options each scenario has they would probably be more tempted to purchase. This engine and game itself has a bright future I think.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 23
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/13/2011 1:41:56 PM   
critter

quote:

ORIGINAL: helgi

Agree with what's been said already. This game is excellent, seems historically accurate and delivers really interesting and balanced scenarios based on the early war. Look forward to more scenarios because the engine is the best I've seen yet (haven't tried War in the East yet, that's on the buying list for the near future).

Only real problem with the game for me is also one of its biggest strengths - it's so large, the battles so immersive, that it takes a hell of time to get through a scenario.

As for the lack of activity, in my case at least it's because it's more important to organize my B1's and Somuas for the counterattack against the Nazi invaders, rather than sitting around on the message board - the Republic needs me!

Great Post..

Although I'd slightjy dissagree about the size. I like its scale. I too am to busy playing it to post much, AND I haven't even started PBEM yet.

Would love to see a Yugo, Greece, Crete (Malta) campaign or an AGS campaign in Russia.

(in reply to helgi)
Post #: 24
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/13/2011 3:02:06 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Josh

The only thing I can think of that WitE is a successor of a legendary game, and it covers the East Front, whereas DC does the West Front.Other than that I have no clue as to why the DC community is so much smaller than the WitE group...

WitE is very much a special case, as folks have been waiting for it for a very, very long time.. and the pedigree cemented by WitP is outstanding. The rather low profile War Between the States is superb as well.

The main reason though IMHO is, bluntly, that there are no Americans in 'Warsaw to Paris'. If you review wargame releases over many years, that has frequently been the kiss of death as the US is such a huge part of the market, hence endless Normandy, BotB and to a noticeably lesser extend Pacific War games (and until the last year how many of them let you play Japan v. China or Russia?) The Eastern Front is about the only exception. Look at CotA, for example.. the best game Matrix publish IMHO, but sales? Hardcore wargamers and fans of HttR maybe, but for most potential casuals it was 'no interest in the theatre', or such. Much the same with time periods other than WW2. A wargame has to be truly exceptional (and very well publicised) to sell beyond the core market.

From a personal point of view (only that, so no lectures, please) DC is also over-priced; once on sale I'll buy it. I enjoyed AT, but not sufficiently for the 'I'll pay anything' attitude I had to WitE after playing WitP and WbtS. As soon as Revolution under Siege was discounted I bought it, as I viewed that one in much the same way. Good game? Actually very, but am I wishing I'd paid full whack a few months ago? Frankly, no.. too many other games on my unplayed and not-enough-played list already.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 3/13/2011 3:07:39 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 25
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/16/2011 5:38:10 PM   
Slazz

I would not let the number of scenarios fool you Herston if that is the basis on thinking this is too expensive. They are well done with plenty of options and numerous variants in the way they are played. Pretty sure they are working on more right now as well.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 26
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/16/2011 7:59:35 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slazz

I would not let the number of scenarios fool you Herston if that is the basis on thinking this is too expensive. They are well done with plenty of options and numerous variants in the way they are played. Pretty sure they are working on more right now as well.

+ 1

I hope we see more addons to this Title for sure...many hours of fun, just wish it could continue on much further throughout the entire war would be great!

(in reply to Slazz)
Post #: 27
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/17/2011 10:54:23 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner
Excellent game, but perhaps some players like me are in an after-holidays slump. Back to reality after playing games like crazy.

Same for me and 'War in the East' has taken a lot of attention, but in the long run this is a good game covering a interesting part of the war, before overwhelming forces made the results inevitable.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 28
RE: This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? - 3/18/2011 4:30:52 PM   
Vic

Hi all!

Advanced Tactics Gold is nearing release and I am already working a bit on DC again. If all goes well this game (Warsaw to Paris) will get a big update in the end of the year (if all goes well!!!! so thats not a promise).

Also I have started work on a 2nd DC title and hope to give some more info soon.

Best regards,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 3/18/2011 4:31:58 PM >

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> This looks like a swell game, Why no activity? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI