Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.40 comments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> 1.40 comments Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.40 comments - 9/4/2002 5:02:26 AM   
Nikademus

"Be careful what you wish for..." :p

But since you asked. Here goes Matrix and 2b3

First off, a big compliment since I tend to spend my limited time here posting concerns and suggestions. Playing scenerio 17 as Allied and have had one of the most entertaining and exciting wargame experiences on memory. So good that it has created that classic time warp effect leading one to wonder where the time went that one was supposed to devote to more vital activities :)

Am liking most of what i see, and am especially grateful for the new "Troops only" button recently added along with class designators for ships.

Some points/concerns and suggestions however.

1. Still dealing with Uber-General Purpose bombs. In the current campaign I just sank 3 Japanese battleships exclusively by 1000ILB GP bomb, two Kongo class and one Nagato class. Nagato in particular had very heavy protection over the mags and the Kongo's while retaining their battlecruiser side protection also had benefited from heavily augmented deck armor systems. Every single bomb hit "penetrated" leading to the predicitable results. This eliminates the early war US weakness of smaller numbers of torpdeo bombers, exaserbated by the short range of the TBD Devastator. The torpedo was the bane of all battleships and other moderate to heavily armored ships. Here, bombs are like torps so its no problem. (500ILB bombs can also acomplish the same at up to 5inches of protection. Again i remind these are not even Armor piercing bombs, but GP (i.e. HE or at best, semi-AP depending on fuse setting)

2) Tied to #1, damage allocation remains too general. Penetrating damage invariably causes all three major system to increment at the same time (SYS, FLT, FIRE) Non-torpedo and non "belt" hits should have more strict checks in place to see if FLT damage is caused. A ship with 70+% SYS damage after all will still be in no condition to fight, but if the waterline is intact the ship can at least limp back into a port, and as mentioned numerous times, the progressive flooding rules are very strict and properly so......Thats what makes torpedoes so dangerous.

Fire damage, while it can cause SYS and even FLT to increase is still too regimented. Like progressive flooding, there should be checks to see if fires spread, stay the same or even cause explosions. It would be nice too to see if a check could be made to see if weapons systems are taken out by the fires.

3) To address the age old concern (since GGPW days) of small and medium ships surcombing too easily to "penetrating" damage, especially if hit by large caliber shells (and incidently....."bombs") I would offer the following suggestion.

Part of the reason for this is due to the limited "areas" presented when allocating damage. There are four selections currently.

1) Tower Armor
2) Belt hit
3) Deck hit
4) Weapons hit**

** more like 3 choices since when a weapon is hit and penetrated, the attacking weapon is allowed to attack either the belt or deck armor systems as well

Because of it's operational/strategic nature, the game correctly limits itself to assuming that the belt/deck systems are always protecting the ship's vitals and that if penetrated, obviously those vitals will take signifigant damage.

This works fine for larger, more durable targets but often results in excessively fragile medium and smaller ships. A classic example would be one of my last battles, which involved the HIJMS Nagato. She was mostly a non-factor in this night battle, her only contribution being two hits on the CA San Francisco.

the CA recieved no other hits during the fight but after the battle she ended up being the most heavily damaged surface ship that survived, with a whopping 60% SYS, 50+% FLT and over 20 fire levels. All that from 'two' 16.1 inch hits that penetrated.

Realistically, unless the big shell (or bomb) hits something vital, there is just as good a chance that only light to moderate damage might be caused. In the most extreme cases, if using AP, a thin skinned vessel might even suffer negligable damage resulting from the big AP shell passing completely through the ship before detonating leaving only jagged holes in the ship's structure. (A good real life example.....the real San Fran's experience at Third Guadalcanal)

Due to the game's "all vital" damage rules after penetration however, and coupled with the very high damage rating of the 16 inch shell, the damage to my San Fran was predicitibly very heavy. Not that this "couldn't" have happened mind you, the point being that this type of result "will" happen every time with the current system in place. Destroyers and light CL types are even more vulnerable to this form of elimination.....usually all it takes is a half dozen medium hits and the DD is toast. (Make it a dozen if small caliber......make it one or two if heavy caliber)

My suggestion to 'fix' this issue would be to add a 5th damage location to a ship's geography.

5) Superstructure

This damage location should have the following characteristics

a) A high probability to be chosen as the "hit location" (this would be especially true during shorter range night fights which tended to be close allowing shell trajectories to remain "flat", ususally stricking midway to high up resulting either in upper deck or superstructure hits .....historical example --- South Dakota and Hiei at Third Guadalcanal Both ships suffered most of their hits in the superstructure region, very few at the waterline) My suggestion, 50% chance at least that this location be chosen. Higher for close range night battles.

b) This hit location should be immune to causing FLT damage

c) This hit location should have little to no chance of causing SYS damage (because to do so would defeat the purpose of armor which "protects" the vital areas......control and bridge spaces in the same general area already have a "hit location" in the form of Tower Armor

d) This hit location should have a medium to high probability of causing FIRE damage. Superstructure areas (Tower armor excluded) tended to be light and non armored in nature (or at best, splinter protection only) and thus would be highly vulnerable to incendiary type fire, such as the 5inch HE rounds of Destroyers and such. The chance of fires should be linked to the shell and bomb type of course. Actual structure damage can look bad and be extensive, but in terms of vital operations, it actually means little so there should be little in the way of SYS damage. The danger is that all this metal and the things contained therein make good fuel for fires which can cause damage leading all the way to the loss of the ship if unchecked

e) This hit location should have no armor rating (control spaces have their own hit location)

Implementing this suggestion would, i believe acomplish the following

1.) Eliminate the constant infusion of signifigant damages, especially when concerning larger shell and bombs by having a "shell aborber" in the form of the "Superstructure" hit location. This would allow warships, especially small warships such as destroyers the chance to be able to take more than a half dozen to a dozen hits without being crippled and sunk. Having the new hit location to "absorb" up to 50% or more of these incoming rounds would leave the more vital "Belt" and "Deck" armor systems to cover and protect the "vital" systems when they are chosen as the hit location without having to change the coding routines for those systems a great deal.

One exception though should be for bomb hits, given their trajectory, as with weapons location hits, if they strike the superstructure hit location a 'check' should be made to determine whether or not the bomb is allowed to make an additional attack against the deck armor system of the warship. either that or bombs should have a higher probability to strike deck armor vs superstructure. Carriers in particular should have a low roll for "superstructure" when taking bomb hits due to the their expanse of flight deck and small concentrated bridge structures

2) Currently in the game, non-penetrating hits do nothing to virtually to a ship. While not a bad thing, one area where it does fall short of realism is in the form of incendiary effects caused by infusions of light HE munitions from Destroyers and other ships with small and medium weapons. Becuase of this its impossible to simulate events such as what happened to both SoDak and the Hiei where, while their vitals were all but immune to the incoming fire, their participation in the fighting was degraded by the numerous superstructure hits they suffered which caused distracting fires in the later's case and fire control issues in the former.

With the exception of Hiei's unprotected steering engine room, neither ship ever had it's WT or structural integrity put into danger. Fires though are naturally dangerous because they can acomplish what the shells themselves were not capable of, mainly causing SYS and weapons damage and even some FLT if serious enough.

So to reiterate, the implementation would solve too outstanding problems present since the days of GGPW.......the first being the tendancy for light and medium ships to be knocked out and/or sunk after only a minimal number of penetrating blows due to every penetrating hit being "vital" in nature. With this system in place the Superstructure would act as a natual shell absorber, taking hits that while not vital in nature, cause visual damage and most importantly the potential for fire damage which can threaten the ship's safety if heavy enough. Casualties would be another component but are not represented in the game currently. A check could be put into place that makes a ship being pummeled by a bunch of non penetrating or superstructure hits being distracted enough to reduce it's level of participation in the battle.

2ndly it would give outgunned adversaries, such as pop-gun armed destroyers a chance to hurt or at least impede bigger ships that venture into close range situations where they might be smothered by a large number of non penetrating incendiary fire causing FIRE damage that might end up resulting in weapons and SYS damage.

4.) Suggest that the new class descriptor be included in the form TF popup screen so that players at the time of forming can better determine what classes are available to form up their TF's with

5.) Still seeing a virtual lack of discovery when assigning aircraft to ASW flights. I've tried adjusting the atitudes, the % of bomber group devoted etc etc. I can see the mission acumilating so i know they are flying but other than that....... Actual attacks are not a problem. At this point in time, aircraft were not very successful at attacking subs.

6.) Not sure if this is a bug, historical fact or what, but certain US FG's and VF's come into the game with as many as 2.5 times the number of pilots vs the number of machines (ready or unready). While not as odd for LBA units, it gets distinctly odd when dealing with carrier air groups that are forced to divert to LBA's due to carrier damage. When they divert, they divert with their entire pool of ready pilots, an impossibility unless each pilot stuffed a friend behind his seat while in flight :) For carrier groups i feel the ready pilots should not exceed the total number of planes carried in the squadron given this mobility feature (example: a VF of 36 planes had to divert to Lunga from Enterprise due to damage during heavy combat. When examining the VF at Lunga it had all 64 of it's ready pilots present right from the get go on the very next turn, a neat and very useful loophole for Allied players indeed!)

7.) Confused about maximum range and effective range brackets as shown in the game and popup screens. I'm finding that search and C47 transports are routinely exceeding the extended range listed in their info screens. This may need looking at.

8.) suggestion for ASW interactions. There seems to be some debate over how effective depth charges should be against subs. Part of the confusion may be being caused by the interpretation of what kind of hits are being scored. If a direct hit by depth charge, the sub naturally should have little to no chance of surviving while submerged, but if it's a near miss then i could see how subs are often coming away with only light to moderate damage Perhaps a msg enhancement should be added as with the fighter combat specifying whether or not a hit is a near miss or a direct hit. Its more information than the attacker is normally privy to granted, but it would help to ease player concerns that their subs are interacting correctly when being counter-attacked.

9) I'm wondering if there should be a bigger delay when replacing lost pilots, especially for carriers (and esp for the Japanese player) Right now replacements and pilots tend to be near instantanious. Since the turns are 24 hour ones.....it would seem to be more realistic if there was some delay invoked when air groups suffer heavy casualties (killed or wounded) resulting in a need to ship forward fresh recruits. Just an idea

10.) Air vs LBA

Been wondering about this for as long as GGPW.....actually i lied, as far back as Carrier Force. Air attack vs airfields have always struck me as being a bit on the anemic side. The only exception i have ever seen was in the historical Turn one for GGPW when US forces were put into "suprise" status. There one might see dozens of planes destroyed or damaged on the ground.

After that though, rare if ever do any planes get caught on the ground. The problem is not as acute with UV since even when no aircraft are destroyed there can still be runway and service damage, and more importantly, morale hits for units based there.

I have yet to see in any of the countless # of strikes, even when radar is *not* present at the target a raid has been able to strike at the air assets held at a base. Big bases, small bases, large #'s of aircraft, low #'s of aircraft, its all the same....little to no "hits" on actual aircraft. Its almost enough to make one say, "why bother?"

It also makes me wonder how, in WitP, the game will be able to cover late war USN "plane raids" when leading up to an Atoll or island invasion, raids which were reputed to have destroyed "hundreds" of planes on the ground (Truk is another example) leading to the isolation of the target. I was never able to do this with GGPW (the weekly turns also hindered it too) and given the results seen in UV, dont see how WitP will be able to acomplish this either.

So in conclusion, i'm wondering if LBA vs Air attack is just a tad bit too anemic and should be looked at for a future patch and WitP.

11.) Air vs Land based unit

As others have mentioned, biggest problem right now is that air attacks vs ground units at a base tend to have the same unit attacked over and over and over again while other units are left untouched. This results in one unit (with my luck, its usually the high assault value one) continually gets attritioned to impotence while other less valuable units do not. Attacks against the units is still a bit on the heavy side as well. Disruption and morale hits are fine but in the opposite situation for the airfields, ground casualties tend to continue to be on the high side. Dont have the manual with me but just in case this is not the case, what i would suggest is that ground casualties be tied to the fortification level of the base being attacked. I can see massive casualites when a unit, recently landed and not having had time to dig in gets bombed but a unit that has high fortification levels should be very hard to cause damage too. Terrain should also factor as well, attest to this the reletive ineffectiveness of massive air attacks vs fortresses such as Okinawa or Iwo Jima or to a lesser degree, Corregidor even.
Post #: 1
Re: 1.40 comments - 9/4/2002 1:01:36 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikademus
[B]5.) Still seeing a virtual lack of discovery when assigning aircraft to ASW flights. I've tried adjusting the atitudes, the % of bomber group devoted etc etc. I can see the mission acumilating so i know they are flying but other than that....... Actual attacks are not a problem. At this point in time, aircraft were not very successful at attacking subs.[/B][/QUOTE]Well, I think I'm doing ok with it. In 2 of my PBEM games (the longest running ones), the air ASW hasn't been too bad. It seems to equate to experience here as well.

In the first game (9/18/42), so far there have been 16 subs lost on both sides. Allies: 7 lost (5 DC/1 air/1 mine/DC combo), Japanese: 9 lost (4 DC/5 air). This game was started under v1.20 and upgraded to v1.40.

In the next game (6/8/42), so far there have been 7 subs lost on both sides. Allies: 6 lost (4 DC/1 air/1 mine/air combo), Japanese (1 DC). This game started on v1.30 and upgraded to v1.40.

It takes time and effort but it can be done. Plus, in the second game, the Allied player decided to wolf pack Lunga, and I responded with excessive force. :D

Just FYI...

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 2
- 9/4/2002 3:58:40 PM   
BPRE

[QUOTE]11.) Air vs Land based unit

As others have mentioned, biggest problem right now is that air attacks vs ground units at a base tend
to have the same unit attacked over and over and over again while other units are left untouched. This
results in one unit (with my luck, its usually the high assault value one) continually gets attritioned to
impotence while other less valuable units do not.

[/QUOTE]

I've noticed this too but I think that the manual gives a clue to why the program behaves like this.
It's mentioned somewhere that if you don't specify a target for the mission it will try to bomb the unit with the highest assault value (or something like that. At work right now so no manual available).

I wonder if the same mechanism is involved in slecting the unit when you specify a certain base to bomb.

Regards
BPRE

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 3
- 9/4/2002 5:14:13 PM   
ADavidB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BPRE
[B]

I've noticed this too but I think that the manual gives a clue to why the program behaves like this.
It's mentioned somewhere that if you don't specify a target for the mission it will try to bomb the unit with the highest assault value (or something like that. At work right now so no manual available).

I wonder if the same mechanism is involved in slecting the unit when you specify a certain base to bomb.

Regards
BPRE [/B][/QUOTE]

HUH?!?!? "...it will try to bomb the unit with the highest assault value..." ???

This is the game engine that supposedly has a "Fog of War" operating? Just how are those bomber pilots supposed to know which of the guys on the ground have the "highest assaut value"?

I hope the Matrix/2x3 folks can tell us that this isn't true.

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 4
- 9/4/2002 8:51:41 PM   
David Heath

Its attacks what it intell tells them or thinks is the highest assualt valued units.

David

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 5
Nik - 9/4/2002 9:35:52 PM   
Ron Saueracker

I agree whole heartedly with at least two of your points, superstructure and 1000lb bomb penetration. Superstructure as a hit location is something I've been lobbying for quite awhile. It would solve quite a lot of "little problems" regarding realism issues. I also think that superstructure could apply to the flight decks (affecting aviation ops) of CVs. I believe that deck armor ratings of carriers in UV are somewhat skewed, as these ratings represent horizontal armor above machinery spaces, magazines etc, not actual deck armor (only Victorious had actual deck armor of the CVs in UV). A superstructure/flight deck hit location might be the simple solution.

Non penetrating 1000 lb bomb hits played havoc with non armored ship systems and locations, and this could well be illustrated with the superstructure hit location. ie, the majority of carriers had vulnerable hanger decks, and 1000 lb bombs going off among armed and fueled aircraft were devastating, with many ships loosing the damage control battle as a result. The floatation damage from bombs I agree with, however, as these could well represent near misses, rending massive underwater damage to the near missed ship.

Great post!:)

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 6
- 9/5/2002 12:46:43 AM   
Nikademus

David: That sounds logical on the surface but as i ponder it i get a bit more concerned......How does the recon elements decide which units are of the highest assault value? And how do the bombers, often thousands of feet up in the air manage to consistantly target a specific unit?

Anyway, i dont totally disagree. My only concern is that even with the recent 1.4 tweak, what happens is that powerful units seem to be getting pulped rather quickly by air attack. Mind you, i'm not advocating making air to ground unit resolution as anemic as air vs airbase, perhaps i'm just seeing too many combat resolutions where the unit in question is not sufficiently entrenched enough to ride out the attack.

Ron: Thanks, and a good idea about the Carrier interaction, i hadn't thought about that and i agree, the problem all along there has been that "Deck armor" in the game represents protection over machinery and ammo spaces (which most carriers had a small degree of), but with the exception of truely "armored carriers", all had exposed wooden topped hanger spaces and such. The new Hit location could be used as a good solution to that as well. Combined with fixing the 1000 and 500ILB bomb ratings could lead to seeing some of the floating campfires as seen at battles like Coral Sea and Midway.

It would also make a nice distinction between armored carriers such as Taiho and the RN types (and the USS Midway!) and the batch of wooden flight decked models.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 7
Ground Attack - 9/5/2002 1:05:36 AM   
Black Cat

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Its attacks what it intell tells them or thinks is the highest assualt valued units.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Not a totally bad thing Dave, but since the Air Attacks cannot completely wipe out the unit, it would be good if at some point in time the attacks moved to the next highest value unit and/or the largest unit in size.

Please disregard if it already does that, I`ve never seen it happen in my Games though.

Thanks for the fine support.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 8
m 2 cents & BTW I can't believe how good Matrix pat... - 9/5/2002 2:15:27 AM   
doomonyou

I agree that airfield bombing doesn't seem to hurt many planes.

I agree that bombs are too effective against very heavily armored ships, but I still think that 1000lbs bombs should always have a chance of penetrating armor, it should be lower however than it now it and bombs cause too much flotation damage now. They should only cause flotation damage when extremely fortunate near misses land right next ot the hull (which I wouldn't even call a near miss, you put a 1000 lb four feet from the hull of a BB @ the waterline and that's the ultimate use of that bomb....). As I have said before, I would also like to see smaller ships get freaking blown to smitherens periodically by fortunate shots from large bombs. I have hit many DD with a 1000lb bomb, but never gotten a "Ships Disintigrates and sinks" from a mag hit, etc.

I would also like to see an "overwhelm" feature in Air to Air combat. I frankly do not care how tough any plane is/was/will be. I am quite tired of seeing small units of bombers from either side get through CAPs that are frankly impossible. Perhaps the aircombat routine could say "flight not detected" which would explain how 5 b-17's got through my 89 zero cap at Rabaul and bombed ships there. I have nearly holy regard for the toughness of the b-17 but if just 1/4 of that cap caught the 5 b-17s Fully loaded (meaning flying at something like 240 mph) They would be in some real, real, REAL trouble. Lords knows what would have happened if just half had done it....this is especially disgusting as the allies whose planes typically featured better radio communication. This "slip through" trick should simply be rarer than I find it.

That being said, as my title states, the patch support of this company is beyond comparison. I would blindly buy any game this company put out given the faith I have come to have in thier efforts.

I would like any ship no matter its orders to return to its home base once it was a) out of ammo) b) so low on fuel it couldn't reach its homebase.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 9
ASW et all - 9/5/2002 5:15:04 AM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rowlf
[B]Well, I think I'm doing ok with it. In 2 of my PBEM games (the longest running ones), the air ASW hasn't been too bad. It seems to equate to experience here as well.

In the first game (9/18/42), so far there have been 16 subs lost on both sides. Allies: 7 lost (5 DC/1 air/1 mine/DC combo), Japanese: 9 lost (4 DC/5 air). This game was started under v1.20 and upgraded to v1.40.

In the next game (6/8/42), so far there have been 7 subs lost on both sides. Allies: 6 lost (4 DC/1 air/1 mine/air combo), Japanese (1 DC). This game started on v1.30 and upgraded to v1.40.

It takes time and effort but it can be done. Plus, in the second game, the Allied player decided to wolf pack Lunga, and I responded with excessive force. :D

Just FYI... [/B][/QUOTE]

Could be. I did notice in my campaign that the Japanese were spotting well and even got one of my old S boats on one occasion. Not a peep from my side though.

I did have one hell of a surface fight though. Did the old Hunter-Killer group thing and sure enough, as another poster stated, the inexperienced SC and PG's got put through the wringer, but by including some DD's in the mix i came off with a decent rate of exchange (I consider nailing two well piloted I-boats a fair exchange for four small escorts (Three SC, one PG)

Have been using my subs very agressively myself and paid the price. Have lost five S boats, four to agressive counter-attack after trying to nail fleet units and the fifth to a lucky air hit. When attacking merchant convoys though the story is much more satisfying.

Almost got a carrier though A great wargaming "what if" for the current campaign :)

From the sound of it, your subs are having an even more electrifying time of it!

Anyway was more looking for opinions on ASW experiences. I agree that if at all, only a minor tweak might be warrented for this area of the game. My major concern at this point in order of priority are the bomb penetrative ratings, the preposed addition to hit location/damage resolution for warships and airfield attack resolution.

Dommonyou: Agree on the near miss issue. Most "near misses" did nothing more than jar the hull and drench the crews in exposed positions. Plenty of photos and descriptions attest to this. Granted, if the hit is close enough, it 'can' cause damage on occaision but these are the more rare occurances, especially for heavily armored ships.

In any case, in game terms, if the bomb attacks the side armor we must remember it is attacking thicknesses even more impressive than the deck armor if were talking CA's, BB's and even some CV's. A GP bomb just isn't going to punch through that much armor landing next to it without even the benefit of kinetic energy much less one stricking it vertically. The game will also treat the "penetration" as a major shell hit with the expected propulsion, SYS and FLT damage.

I wouldn't be opposed to a 6th hit location. "Near Miss" which would cause a roll for light SYS and FLT damage (but not propulsion)

make it independant of the belt armor rating to represent an underwater explosion near the hull but under the belt.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 10
- 9/5/2002 9:21:30 AM   
ADavidB

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Its attacks what it intell tells them or thinks is the highest assualt valued units.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

David -

Hmmm - okay. That's not the call I would have made - I would assume it would be more random since it ought to be pretty difficult for bombers to spot differences in units. Differences in equipment and facilities - maybe for dive bombers and fighters, but not level bombers. And at 200 knots or 6000 feet, telling "who" is the most valuble to hit seems hard to do.

Oh well, you folks can give it some "second sober thought" while you are working on WitP.

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 11
- 9/5/2002 6:56:16 PM   
Mark W Carver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ADavidB
Hmmm - okay. That's not the call I would have made - I would assume it would be more random since it ought to be pretty difficult for bombers to spot differences in units. Differences in equipment and facilities - maybe for dive bombers and fighters, but not level bombers. And at 200 knots or 6000 feet, telling "who" is the most valuble to hit seems hard to do.
[/QUOTE]

Not one to speak for David, but I believe what he means is that the bombers attack what the "Intelligence Reports" tell them to attack, not the bombers making the decision what to bomb.

Recon flights over an island can pretty much tell which units on the ground are the stronger ones.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 12
- 9/5/2002 9:45:22 PM   
Wilhammer

Hmmm.

What if you wanted your strikes to focus on logistical assets?

I mean, if Intel can locate the HQ, it might want to bomb that.

Logistics is the key to any war, and UV does a great job of that.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 13
I never thought I'd say this... - 9/6/2002 12:10:28 AM   
RevRick

but the control of the logistics and planning the next several dozen steps is more fun to me than the shooting - and this from a guy who thought that the best think to do in the old Bismarck game was to send the KGV into 4000 yards range firing like mad - sank the beast, and then broke out the life jackets myself. The logistics modeling is really good, and takes a lot of effort to get right. Forward stockpiling for a planned invasion and moving troops around to keep them as fresh and still having the sealift cap to bring off the invasion is really a challenge, unless someone wants to be hungry and out of toilet paper somewhere.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 14
Let's be "conservative"... :-) - 9/6/2002 4:29:02 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nikademus
[B]Some points/concerns and suggestions however.

1. Still dealing with Uber-General Purpose bombs. In the current campaign I just sank 3 Japanese battleships exclusively by 1000ILB GP bomb, two Kongo class and one Nagato class. Nagato in particular had very heavy protection over the mags and the Kongo's while retaining their battlecruiser side protection also had benefited from heavily augmented deck armor systems. Every single bomb hit "penetrated" leading to the predicitable results. This eliminates the early war US weakness of smaller numbers of torpdeo bombers, exaserbated by the short range of the TBD Devastator. The torpedo was the bane of all battleships and other moderate to heavily armored ships. Here, bombs are like torps so its no problem. (500ILB bombs can also acomplish the same at up to 5inches of protection. Again i remind these are not even Armor piercing bombs, but GP (i.e. HE or at best, semi-AP depending on fuse setting)

2) Tied to #1, damage allocation remains too general. Penetrating damage invariably causes all three major system to increment at the same time (SYS, FLT, FIRE) Non-torpedo and non "belt" hits should have more strict checks in place to see if FLT damage is caused. A ship with 70+% SYS damage after all will still be in no condition to fight, but if the waterline is intact the ship can at least limp back into a port, and as mentioned numerous times, the progressive flooding rules are very strict and properly so......Thats what makes torpedoes so dangerous.

Fire damage, while it can cause SYS and even FLT to increase is still too regimented. Like progressive flooding, there should be checks to see if fires spread, stay the same or even cause explosions. It would be nice too to see if a check could be made to see if weapons systems are taken out by the fires.

3) To address the age old concern (since GGPW days) of small and medium ships surcombing too easily to "penetrating" damage, especially if hit by large caliber shells (and incidently....."bombs") I would offer the following suggestion.

Part of the reason for this is due to the limited "areas" presented when allocating damage. There are four selections currently.

1) Tower Armor
2) Belt hit
3) Deck hit
4) Weapons hit**

** more like 3 choices since when a weapon is hit and penetrated, the attacking weapon is allowed to attack either the belt or deck armor systems as well

Because of it's operational/strategic nature, the game correctly limits itself to assuming that the belt/deck systems are always protecting the ship's vitals and that if penetrated, obviously those vitals will take signifigant damage.

This works fine for larger, more durable targets but often results in excessively fragile medium and smaller ships. A classic example would be one of my last battles, which involved the HIJMS Nagato. She was mostly a non-factor in this night battle, her only contribution being two hits on the CA San Francisco.

the CA recieved no other hits during the fight but after the battle she ended up being the most heavily damaged surface ship that survived, with a whopping 60% SYS, 50+% FLT and over 20 fire levels. All that from 'two' 16.1 inch hits that penetrated.

Realistically, unless the big shell (or bomb) hits something vital, there is just as good a chance that only light to moderate damage might be caused. In the most extreme cases, if using AP, a thin skinned vessel might even suffer negligable damage resulting from the big AP shell passing completely through the ship before detonating leaving only jagged holes in the ship's structure. (A good real life example.....the real San Fran's experience at Third Guadalcanal)

Due to the game's "all vital" damage rules after penetration however, and coupled with the very high damage rating of the 16 inch shell, the damage to my San Fran was predicitibly very heavy. Not that this "couldn't" have happened mind you, the point being that this type of result "will" happen every time with the current system in place. Destroyers and light CL types are even more vulnerable to this form of elimination.....usually all it takes is a half dozen medium hits and the DD is toast. (Make it a dozen if small caliber......make it one or two if heavy caliber)

My suggestion to 'fix' this issue would be to add a 5th damage location to a ship's geography.

5) Superstructure

This damage location should have the following characteristics

a) A high probability to be chosen as the "hit location" (this would be especially true during shorter range night fights which tended to be close allowing shell trajectories to remain "flat", ususally stricking midway to high up resulting either in upper deck or superstructure hits .....historical example --- South Dakota and Hiei at Third Guadalcanal Both ships suffered most of their hits in the superstructure region, very few at the waterline) My suggestion, 50% chance at least that this location be chosen. Higher for close range night battles.

b) This hit location should be immune to causing FLT damage

c) This hit location should have little to no chance of causing SYS damage (because to do so would defeat the purpose of armor which "protects" the vital areas......control and bridge spaces in the same general area already have a "hit location" in the form of Tower Armor

d) This hit location should have a medium to high probability of causing FIRE damage. Superstructure areas (Tower armor excluded) tended to be light and non armored in nature (or at best, splinter protection only) and thus would be highly vulnerable to incendiary type fire, such as the 5inch HE rounds of Destroyers and such. The chance of fires should be linked to the shell and bomb type of course. Actual structure damage can look bad and be extensive, but in terms of vital operations, it actually means little so there should be little in the way of SYS damage. The danger is that all this metal and the things contained therein make good fuel for fires which can cause damage leading all the way to the loss of the ship if unchecked

e) This hit location should have no armor rating (control spaces have their own hit location)

Implementing this suggestion would, i believe acomplish the following

1.) Eliminate the constant infusion of signifigant damages, especially when concerning larger shell and bombs by having a "shell aborber" in the form of the "Superstructure" hit location. This would allow warships, especially small warships such as destroyers the chance to be able to take more than a half dozen to a dozen hits without being crippled and sunk. Having the new hit location to "absorb" up to 50% or more of these incoming rounds would leave the more vital "Belt" and "Deck" armor systems to cover and protect the "vital" systems when they are chosen as the hit location without having to change the coding routines for those systems a great deal.

One exception though should be for bomb hits, given their trajectory, as with weapons location hits, if they strike the superstructure hit location a 'check' should be made to determine whether or not the bomb is allowed to make an additional attack against the deck armor system of the warship. either that or bombs should have a higher probability to strike deck armor vs superstructure. Carriers in particular should have a low roll for "superstructure" when taking bomb hits due to the their expanse of flight deck and small concentrated bridge structures

2) Currently in the game, non-penetrating hits do nothing to virtually to a ship. While not a bad thing, one area where it does fall short of realism is in the form of incendiary effects caused by infusions of light HE munitions from Destroyers and other ships with small and medium weapons. Becuase of this its impossible to simulate events such as what happened to both SoDak and the Hiei where, while their vitals were all but immune to the incoming fire, their participation in the fighting was degraded by the numerous superstructure hits they suffered which caused distracting fires in the later's case and fire control issues in the former.

With the exception of Hiei's unprotected steering engine room, neither ship ever had it's WT or structural integrity put into danger. Fires though are naturally dangerous because they can acomplish what the shells themselves were not capable of, mainly causing SYS and weapons damage and even some FLT if serious enough.

So to reiterate, the implementation would solve too outstanding problems present since the days of GGPW.......the first being the tendancy for light and medium ships to be knocked out and/or sunk after only a minimal number of penetrating blows due to every penetrating hit being "vital" in nature. With this system in place the Superstructure would act as a natual shell absorber, taking hits that while not vital in nature, cause visual damage and most importantly the potential for fire damage which can threaten the ship's safety if heavy enough. Casualties would be another component but are not represented in the game currently. A check could be put into place that makes a ship being pummeled by a bunch of non penetrating or superstructure hits being distracted enough to reduce it's level of participation in the battle.

2ndly it would give outgunned adversaries, such as pop-gun armed destroyers a chance to hurt or at least impede bigger ships that venture into close range situations where they might be smothered by a large number of non penetrating incendiary fire causing FIRE damage that might end up resulting in weapons and SYS damage. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am for smaller steps... :-)

Perhaps if we "demand" to much we might never get what we
(i.e. UV players) want...

I agree with what "Nikademus" wrote for #1, #2 and #3 but
I think it's kinda to much to expect that Matrix/2By3 would
create brand new damage destination - "Superstructure" like
it was suggested here.

I think that already existing "Tower Armour" is what they
(Matrix/2By3) thought as "Superstructure".

Saying this I sincerely hope that points #1, #2 and #3 would
be fixed !!!

I still have hope and Matrox/2By3 showed very good will and
responsiveness to fix/alter well documented remarks made here.

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 15
Re: Let's be "conservative"... :-) - 9/6/2002 5:10:15 AM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Apollo11
[B]Hi all,

I am for smaller steps... :-)

Perhaps if we "demand" to much we might never get what we
(i.e. UV players) want...

I agree with what "Nikademus" wrote for #1, #2 and #3 but
I think it's kinda to much to expect that Matrix/2By3 would
create brand new damage destination - "Superstructure" like
it was suggested here.

I think that already existing "Tower Armour" is what they
(Matrix/2By3) thought as "Superstructure".

Saying this I sincerely hope that points #1, #2 and #3 would
be fixed !!!

I still have hope and Matrox/2By3 showed very good will and
responsiveness to fix/alter well documented remarks made here.

Leo "Apollo11" [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, when i posted #'s 1-3 (and the air vs airbase issue), i was thinking more in terms of the upcoming WitP than UV. I agree that such large coding changes and/or enhancements as i've suggested might be a bit much for a game that is supposed to be in the "fine tuning" stage. (Bombs excepted.....that would be i feel, a simpler step to adjust....i'd do it myself if the editor allowed it)

I wasn't sure though whether my preposals would be better placed here, in the UV forum where so many visit each day or over on the somewhat sleepier WitP forum. Since David responded in this thread it looks like Matrix has read it and will (hopefully) take my "solution" for the long standing fragile ships into consideration. It was certainly not a "demand" but what i hope was a good piece of constructive criticism with an attached solution appended to it.

In regards to "Tower armor" vs "Superstructure", they are actually very different animals. The former occupies only a very small area of the ship and tends to be anywhere from lightly protected to very heavily protected. Contained within are the control spaces for the command crew and their "link" to the decks below (also usually armored) "Superstructure" would represent the rest of deck area built up over the hull and generally contains various cabin, subsidiary command-control stations, optical mounts, seaplane facilities, galley spaces etc etc. Two key differences are that this area tends to be "large" and that it tends to be unarmored making it a haven for shells and bombs to tear it up.

With the exception of radio/CIC/optic mounts and such, it also tends to house more non vital or less critical stations so that even if it gets trashed to hell, it wont really affect the fighting ability of the ship or more important to UV, the structural and water-tight integrity of the ship. It also tends to be easy to repair vs damage to major components such as propulsion or main gunnery turrets-mounts.

By creating such a space, I feel this Hit Location would act as a nice "shell/bomb" absorber that will allow ships to stay in the fight or at least afloat after taking a few hits that dont strike other areas, all of which are considered "vital" and all of which are protected by armor. Giving it a good to high possibility of causing fire levels would better simulate the interaction, especially at night of various ship types which can be hit from anything from small HE shells to big AP shells.

This would be a great improvement. I remember that in Gary's old "Warship" game (of tactical WWII surface combat in the Pacific), the "Tower armor-Superstructure" hit location was combined into one space called "Superstructure" which while it worked well overall, could still often lead to odd situations where small and medium shells are pumeling a ship's upperworks but doing nothing because none of the shells could penetrate the ship's "Superstructure" rating because the game treated the entire mass as an armored tower!

Here we have an opportunity to distinquish betwenst the two.

My hope is that, if not UV, that this preposal, if Matrix finds it viable can be worked into the still developing WitP, along with adjustements to the bomb ratings and maybe a more dyamic Air vs airfield routine that can actually allow players to catch planes on the ground for a change! :)

sorry to rant.....i'm just really excited about the possibility to improve an already excellent game.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> 1.40 comments Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI