Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

STAVKA Overloaded

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> STAVKA Overloaded Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
STAVKA Overloaded - 1/15/2011 9:32:15 PM   
cookie monster

In my 42+Grand Campaign STAVKA is overloaded at 1417:900.

Is this normal?

I presume it is.

My guess as I would have it is to eliminate brigades as they cost 1 Command Point versus 2 for a Division plus make 3 Divs (6CP) into a Corps (4CP).

I still have some STAVKA reserve armies filling holes in my lines. I would transfer to the fronts but the fronts are overloaded.

Does this overload prevent most admin and initiative checks being passed for unit movement points allocation?

I.I.R.C the chain of command is checked for this.

Also my trucks pool is sitting at 107K (166K).

How low can I go on trucks?

I am not considering mechanising/motorising my forces anymore.

I have enough mobile assets.

Although I will still build Cavalry.
Post #: 1
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/15/2011 9:42:02 PM   
Flaviusx

Yup.

Overloads around October of 41 and unless you do something very wrong it stays that way for the rest of the war.

Very annoying, but there it is. This more or less renders it useless as an HQ, not even the best commander with the highest admin rating will get much out of it when it's hundreds over cap.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 2
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/15/2011 11:57:10 PM   
randallw

It is better to have Stavka overloaded, then to have it underloaded.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 12:29:54 AM   
sross

Do you ever get enough Front HQ's so they aren't all overloaded as well? Does it make much of a difference when they are over? I know that the rulebook says there are penalties, but how bad are they? Also, are they cumulative (the more overloaded, the worse they get)?

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 4
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 12:48:01 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

In my 42+Grand Campaign STAVKA is overloaded at 1417:900.

Is this normal?

I presume it is.

And that's a problem, Cookie Monster? Are you sure? Imagine the STAVKA is a cookies box... end of the problem And end of your reserves too

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 5
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 1:14:19 AM   
cookie monster

Thanks for the replies no matter how stupid!!!

But my truck pool question remains unaswered.

Although I will still build Cavalry

Thanks

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 6
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 1:16:47 AM   
randallw

quote:

ORIGINAL: sross

Do you ever get enough Front HQ's so they aren't all overloaded as well? Does it make much of a difference when they are over? I know that the rulebook says there are penalties, but how bad are they? Also, are they cumulative (the more overloaded, the worse they get)?

If the Axis get into territory deep enough certain M.D.s are changed to Fronts. You also get a few new Front HQs showing up now and then. In my current campaign, reaching March 1943, I have 12 Front HQs.

(in reply to sross)
Post #: 7
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 1:28:04 AM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

quote:

On p 190 of the e manual it states movement point maximum allowances.

1. Start with base MPs (14.1.1)

2. Calculate average fatigue of the unit based on the number and
fatigue of each type of ground element. Reduce the number of
MP’s by the average fatigue divided by ten, rounded down.

3. Check for leader initiative. If all leaders in the chain of command fail the
initiative check, then multiply MPs remaining by 80 percent, rounding down.

4. Check for leader admin. If all leaders in chain of command fail
the admin check, then multiply MPs remaining by 80 percent,
rounding down. Note that units that did not move in the previous
turn will automatically pass their next turn’s admin check.

I presume that an overloaded chain of command would lead to less movement points being given.

So I would keep the HQ under/on the CP limit and try to get the front under limit by combining brigades and divisions. STAVKA will always be overloaded so it would probably fail.

I dont know if there are any other penalties.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 8
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 1:35:03 AM   
randallw

The manual says the level of overload does adjust the amount of penalty.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 9
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 1:57:35 AM   
Smirfy

The more I play the more wooly some of the applications of AP gets. The whole chain of command is wooly and does not really stand too much scrutiny .

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 10
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 3:16:57 AM   
Flaviusx

quote:

You do. Furthermore, army and Front HQs increase in capacity as the war goes on. And, interestingly, your command efficiency dramatically increases once you shift over to corps. Thus every time, for example, you convert 3 rifle divisions to a rifle corps, you are gaining 2 command cap in efficiency. (You lose 1 in efficiency every time you convert over brigades to mech or tank corps, but you'll probably never have more than 40 of those total, so that loss is more than offset by creating 120 rifle corps give or take.)

The crunch time comes in mid 42. You're going to be struggling to keep under caps with Fronts for a while. But it gets better.

Overloading is bad news. Don't do it you can possibly avoid it, I'm not going to run you through the formulas, just trust me on this. You should always be able to contrive to keep armies under the caps. Fronts will be more difficult to keep under cap until you fully transition to corps. You may want to keep "excess" units unattached to any Front that brings them over capacity and indeed build those as reserves.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 1/16/2011 3:18:30 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to sross)
Post #: 11
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 8:27:52 AM   
Jakerson

Handling of HQ and building up correct chain of command while trying to avoid overloading of HQ's is most boring part in this game especially when playing Soviet player in Full campaign 41-45.

User interface is not very good in that.

I always end up especially in 41-42 spend most of my time just looking HQ all over the map and trough OOB list that can take more units and solving overloading issues.

It would be 100 times less time consuming if there would be some kind of HQ pool where you could send all HQ you does not need witch one click and then when you need more HQ at some front you could open HQ pool and drop HQ from there where you need it.

Now many players just give up and play with HQ that are much overloaded or do like me end up spending most of time building up proper chain of command and looking hq all over the map and order of battle lists and then adjusting chain of command trough multiple menus one unit at time.

< Message edited by Jakerson -- 1/16/2011 8:31:36 AM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 12
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 10:20:36 AM   
Smirfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jakerson

Handling of HQ and building up correct chain of command while trying to avoid overloading of HQ's is most boring part in this game especially when playing Soviet player in Full campaign 41-45.

User interface is not very good in that.

I always end up especially in 41-42 spend most of my time just looking HQ all over the map and trough OOB list that can take more units and solving overloading issues.

It would be 100 times less time consuming if there would be some kind of HQ pool where you could send all HQ you does not need witch one click and then when you need more HQ at some front you could open HQ pool and drop HQ from there where you need it.

Now many players just give up and play with HQ that are much overloaded or do like me end up spending most of time building up proper chain of command and looking hq all over the map and order of battle lists and then adjusting chain of command trough multiple menus one unit at time.

Totally agree in the meantime what would help asvwell is a build Front HQ option for the Russians. Its kinda absurd that if you do better historically and not lose combat units you cannot build any HQ's bigger than army.

(in reply to Jakerson)
Post #: 13
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 6:08:54 PM   
karonagames

quote:

In most tests the SU was running on about 2/3 vehicles/required, and this was with 1/3 of the front in static mode. It has been noted that over-building mech corps can suck up vehicles too - so it is a challenge for the SU to balance his logistics to support long term offensives.

By late 1944 the SU was up to about 80% of required vehicles with most of the front active.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 14
RE: STAVKA Overloaded - 1/16/2011 6:25:48 PM   
MengJiao

quote:

ORIGINAL: cookie monster

Although I will still build Cavalry

Thanks

You can go pretty low. I'm at 65k (109k) in October 1942 and the Red Army is still taking ground, though maybe 40% of the army is
inactive.

< Message edited by MengJiao -- 1/16/2011 6:26:41 PM >

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> STAVKA Overloaded Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI