Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room >> overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? - 1/15/2011 11:37:45 AM   
flyingduk

I have noted that the number of RAF fighters reported as destroyed when caught while landing well exceeds the actual loss count... is there a reason for this?
Post #: 1
RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? - 1/27/2011 10:04:12 AM   
WaveRuler

I've seen this also and while I have no idea why this happens (in terms of the game mechanics), I put it down to the fact that claims were historically higher than the actual losses recorded by the other side.

For an airfield attack during the recovery of a squadron I know that attacking fighters would be facing a 'wall' of small arms fire and flak so it would be imperative to get in and out very quickly. I imagine that some pilots would be targetting the same enemy aircraft or installation and when that target was destroyed it would be understandable to have multiple claims recorded. I recall a gun camera picture (I think it's in Roger Freeman's excellent 'The Mighty Eighth') of a P-47 getting dangerously close to the line of fire of a squadron mate during an attack on a flak tower showing both aircraft were attacking the same unit.

So although I have no idea why this happens, I can live with it by accepting that the 'Fog of War' had a big effect on claims made by pilots. Hope that helps!

(in reply to flyingduk)
Post #: 2
RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? - 1/27/2011 12:39:32 PM   
flyingduk

yes thanks i assumed the same, and 'double claims' by 2 fighters downing the same target..... there just didnt seem to be a lot of point in the 'fog of war' in that screen, when you get the #real* losses on the next one !

(in reply to WaveRuler)
Post #: 3
RE: overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? - 1/28/2011 7:09:22 AM   
WaveRuler

The first time you see it you just sit there grinning like an idiot, then you see the real losses and it's not so good! I still get excited when my fighter sweeps catch interceptors landing though!

(in reply to flyingduk)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> The War Room >> overcounting of fighters destroyed while landing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI