Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game theory and the Stasi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Game theory and the Stasi Page: <<   < prev  127 128 [129] 130 131   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 4:11:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

There will be no pictures so that I may maintain plausible deniability but the "Azteca" sort of looks like Trini Lopez*..except shorter. You might be able to find a picture of him in a mugshot somewhere.

The "Mayan" looks like a Mayan.

Stalker Girl is full-bred Polish.

I look like Tom Hanks (except better).

Stalker Girl Jr. looks like Stalker Girl Sr.

Mandrake Jr. looks like Winona Ryder

Saul the Mexican gardener with the Jewish name looks like Oscar de la Hoya 10 years after he stops training.

Can't really tell you what Scharfuhrer Braun looks like, have just seen her through the smoked glass of her recon vehicle. She is 20'ish, dark hair and does not have a grossly misshapen head.

The neighber with the $10,000 mailbox looks like Ichabod Crane was really supposed to look like (not Johnny Depp)

The hot neighbor with the bolt-ons looks like Disney's Pocahontas after a visit to the Dow Corning Miracles of Silicone Pavilion.

*Very few will know what Trini Lopez looks like. I wouldn't either but I just saw a PBS special on folk singers. I also now know what the Kingston Trio looked like. Nobody around here looks like them.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3841
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 4:13:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

We need a turn.

Precisely. With this lot it is like taking a bunch of 13 yr olds on a guided tour of Gettysburg with Shelby Foote and all they want to know is when they can go to Starbucks to log on to jennajameson.*

*Not sure about the spelling of jennajameson.

That's not going to be a very interesting guided tour. Mr. Foote has been dead for a number of years now. It would be like going on a guided tour of Hollywood or President Kennedy's secret tryst rooms with the corpse of Marilyn Monroe. Kind of creepy, if you ask me.

So, does this mean that no pictures will be forthcoming?

Post #: 3842
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:15:47 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

There will be no pictures so that I may maintain plausible deniability but the "Azteca" sort of looks like Trini Lopez*..except shorter. You might be able to find a picture of him in a mugshot somewhere.

Saul the Mexican gardener with the Jewish name looks like Oscar de la Hoya 10 years after he stops training.

Can't really tell you what Scharfuhrer Braun looks like, have just seen her through the smoked glass of her recon vehicle. She is 20'ish, dark hair and does not have a grossly misshapen head.

The neighber with the $10,000 mailbox looks like Ichabod Crane was really supposed to look like (not Johnny Depp)

The hot neighbor with the bolt-ons looks like Disney's Pocahontas after a visit to the Dow Corning Miracles of Silicone Pavilion.

*Very few will know what Trini Lopez looks like. I wouldn't either but I just saw a PBS special on folk singers. I also now know what the Kingston Trio looked like. Nobody around here looks like them.

Plausible deniability - hah!

Apparently you've forgotten you've already posted one of you and your daughter... this one from just after you had the streetlight removed from your head*

(*via Photoshop or equivalent.)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 3843
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:20:24 PM   
sprior

Nothing. Ever. Leaves. The. Internet. Ever.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3844
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:21:21 PM   
rtrapasso

And here is Trini Lopez, sans hammer. (resized)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 2/10/2011 9:26:11 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3845
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:27:12 PM   
rtrapasso

And Ichabod on his way to an expensive mailbox...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3846
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:49:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

INSERT LEWD WOLFCALLS HERE! YOWZA!

ETA: Cap'n: Anyone ever tell you you look a lot like Kasey Casem?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/10/2011 9:52:03 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3847
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:52:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Wrong daughter And that is me before the guy at the DMV asked if I wanted to change anything on my driver's license.

Trini Lopez is too old in that picture but he really does look like "el Azteca" (minus the gluteal cleft on the chin and the sideburns). He really isn't a bad kid if you disregard his stolen social security number and the fact that he likes to drink and fight AND he is short.

As for Mr. Foote, I envisioned his voice as a disembodied narrator coming from everywhere at once as you stand in the Devil's Den looking up at the Little Round Top. Tell me THAT wouldn't be cool. Even so, you lot would be whining because there is no internet access.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3848
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 9:55:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Trini Lopez is too old in that picture but he really does look like "el Azteca" (minus the gluteal cleft on the chin and the sideburns). He really isn't a bad kid if you disregard his stolen social security number and the fact that he likes to drink and fight AND he is short.

"el Azteca" is a curious name for an Irishman, what?

Post #: 3849
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 10:05:50 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

INSERT LEWD WOLFCALLS HERE! YOWZA!

ETA: Cap'n: Anyone ever tell you you look a lot like Kasey Casem?

Chickenboy has a thing for Kasey Casem? or just Mandrake?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3850
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/10/2011 10:42:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Kasey Kasem always struck me as a fagela...but I am flattered, I'm sure.

I went on a horse pack trip once with the kids and sister's family. It was an expensive trip into the Sierra backcountry, the guide, a cowhand and a cook, 10 horses and maybe 6 mules.

So the first night the guide (who works partly on tips) says around the campfire, "you remind me of the guy in Godfather..oh what the Hell is his name", and he goes over in to the woods presumably to think about it. In fact, he had snuck some beers on the trip and had them hidden in the creek to keep cold. The SOB was holding out on us while we were supposed to drink powdered lemonade made with creek water treated with chlorine tablets. Anyway, I am left to think who he is talking about, Al Pacino??? Nah. Robert Duvall??? Nah Jimmy Cann?? Nah Could he possibly mean Brando...holy crap I hope not the guy was as old as the pyramids. Abe Vigoda?? Santa Maria! He better not mean Abe Vigoda or his tip is toast. I gave up.

The next night he suddenly exclaims, "I GOT IT! It's that Fredo guy!"

Holy Crap! Fredo??? The guy plays a total greaser and he has the lowest moral standing of a Mafia family for Christ's sake. He gets offed while fishing for trout with cheeseballs on the orders of his own brother.

Fredo on the Left

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3851
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 1:31:55 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I went on a horse pack trip once with the kids and sister's family. It was an expensive trip into the Sierra backcountry, the guide, a cowhand and a cook, 10 horses and maybe 6 mules.

So the first night the guide (who works partly on tips) says around the campfire, "you remind me of the guy in Godfather..oh what the Hell is his name", and he goes over in to the woods presumably to think about it. In fact, he had snuck some beers on the trip and had them hidden in the creek to keep cold. The SOB was holding out on us while we were supposed to drink powdered lemonade made with creek water treated with chlorine tablets. Anyway, I am left to think who he is talking about, Al Pacino??? Nah. Robert Duvall??? Nah Jimmy Cann?? Nah Could he possibly mean Brando...holy crap I hope not the guy was as old as the pyramids. Abe Vigoda?? Santa Maria! He better not mean Abe Vigoda or his tip is toast. I gave up.

Holy Crap! Fredo??? The guy plays a total greaser and he has the lowest moral standing of a Mafia family for Christ's sake. He gets offed while fishing for trout with cheeseballs on the orders of his own brother.

Mandrake on the Left

Fixed your post for you.

Post #: 3852
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 2:30:53 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: He gets offed while fishing for trout with cheeseballs on the orders of his own brother.

Lets be honest here.....there arnt that many characters in that movie who survive. Would you rather be the a wife-beating, testostoronal pr!ck who gets shot at a highway tollbooth?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 3853
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 3:23:12 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

Fredo on the Left

Lemme get this straight: You are in the Sierra backcountry where the major recreational activiy is fishing for trout.

Then, a "backcountry wrangler" tells you, miles from the nearest police station or even road, that you remind him of that complete loser Fredo, who just happened to get whacked while fishing for trout...

Geeze, it's a miracle you survived that horse-packing trip, amigo!

I would have run off that mountain as fast as my legs could move! You ever see Deliverance?

Just a thought...

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 3854
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 3:41:27 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

Fredo on the Left

Lemme get this straight: You are in the Sierra backcountry where the major recreational activiy is fishing for trout.

Then, a "backcountry wrangler" tells you, miles from the nearest police station or even road, that you remind him of that complete loser Fredo, who just happened to get whacked while fishing for trout...

Geeze, it's a miracle you survived that horse-packing trip, amigo!

I would have run off that mountain as fast as my legs could move! You ever see Deliverance?

Just a thought...

Fishing for brown trout, eh? "Backcountry wrangler", eh? Heck, I'm thinking Brokeback Mountain myself. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 3855
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 5:29:00 AM   
Mynok

Deliverance? Come on...Mandrake's a Cafilornia boy. He wouldn't understand Deliverance if it bit his ass while he was laying PVC.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3856
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 6:57:12 AM   
Grollub

You guys definitely need a turn.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3857
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 3:06:10 PM   
sprior

16th July 1942

Fifth Div packing at Aden ready to embark for Perth. Addu and DG now fully fledged bases with AS patrols, lots of fuel and even a few patrol planes.

China is quiet as JJ recuperates after the scrap outside Sian. The weedier units have been despatched to Chengtu to take in replacements.

The troop from Buggritt are back in friendly territory are on on their way to Kohima from whence they can hie to Calcutta.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 3858
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 4:08:03 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Deliverance? Come on...Mandrake's a Cafilornia boy. He wouldn't understand Deliverance if it bit his ass while he was laying PVC.

"Hyuk" (picks banjo whilest looking at Cap'n Mandrake's photo). "Mandrake, you shore got a purty mouth."

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3859
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 4:09:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

16th July 1942

Fifth Div packing at Aden ready to embark for Perth. Addu and DG now fully fledged bases with AS patrols, lots of fuel and even a few patrol planes.

China is quiet as JJ recuperates after the scrap outside Sian. The weedier units have been despatched to Chengtu to take in replacements.

The troop from Buggritt are back in friendly territory are on on their way to Kohima from whence they can hie to Calcutta.

Thank THREAD! An update!

Sprior-what's the status on the situation around Sian? What is the nature of this scrap of which you speak?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3860
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 4:35:18 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

Plausible deniability - hah!

Apparently you've forgotten you've already posted one of you and your daughter... this one from just after you had the streetlight removed from your head*

(*via Photoshop or equivalent.)

Yup that's what he looked like when I met him back in June of '09 (except he wasn't wearing a tuxedo, just normal everyday clothes).

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 2/11/2011 4:40:14 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 3861
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 5:32:45 PM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

16th July 1942

Thank THREAD! An update!

Sprior-what's the status on the situation around Sian? What is the nature of this scrap of which you speak?

On 07/07

Ground combat at 85,42

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 64359 troops, 684 guns, 299 vehicles, Assault Value = 1991

Defending force 36828 troops, 364 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1252

Japanese adjusted assault: 1349

Allied adjusted defense: 3307

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4179 casualties reported
Squads: 103 destroyed, 155 disabled
Non Combat: 35 destroyed, 226 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Vehicles lost 36 (25 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2226 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 183 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 166 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
6th Ind.Mixed Brigade
11th Tank Regiment
32nd/A Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Division
36th Division
15th Tank Regiment
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
35th Division
61st Infantry Brigade
32nd/C Division
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
11th Field Artillery Regiment
12th Army
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
29th Ind. Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
27th Chinese Corps
47th Chinese Corps
93rd Chinese Corps
43rd Chinese Corps
34th Chinese Corps
33rd Chinese Corps
61st Chinese Corps
80th Chinese Corps
38th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
8th Group Army
31st Group Army
4th Group Army
7th Group Army
4th Chinese Base Force

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3862
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 5:36:56 PM   
Chickenboy

Your IJ opponents are doing you a mammoth favor around Sian by fighting in the worst (for them) terrain in the area. If they come to their senses and mount an offensive in the clear hexes (including Sian proper), things will go very differently for your defenders.

ETA: What do you have in Sian proper? I don't understand why he doesn't just fix those Chinese units in place at 85,42 whilest pushing forward with the other two main pincers to the South and East of the city. That would serve two valuable purposes-cutting off the 85,42 Chinese's LOC and investing defensive troops @ Sian in clear terrain.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/11/2011 5:39:55 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3863
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 5:52:40 PM   
sprior

Sian has a size 4 fort. These are the combat troops:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3864
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 6:13:43 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Your IJ opponents are doing you a mammoth favor around Sian by fighting in the worst (for them) terrain in the area. If they come to their senses and mount an offensive in the clear hexes (including Sian proper), things will go very differently for your defenders.

ETA: What do you have in Sian proper? I don't understand why he doesn't just fix those Chinese units in place at 85,42 whilest pushing forward with the other two main pincers to the South and East of the city. That would serve two valuable purposes-cutting off the 85,42 Chinese's LOC and investing defensive troops @ Sian in clear terrain.

Need to count the supply path for those Chinese troops in the good terrain - are they cut off from supply? Maybe JJ believes so and is out for the kill.

EDIT: Need to see the hex side ownership of the hex they are in to calculate the path.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 2/11/2011 6:26:23 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3865
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 6:28:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Sian has a size 4 fort. These are the combat troops:

Decent AV, but looks like you've got bugger-all for supplies in the hex. One moldy sack of rice in the cupboard isn't going to hold long against a concerted siege by JJ. You'll be at 1/4 strength within two weeks due to supply issues.

Anything you can do to force supplies in? Where is Sian on your list of supply priorities in China? Any other cities that can do without for a bit?

Other Allied players have found that it's best to get the Chinese out of the city hexes per se due to some buggered supply rules for units in city hexes. Any chance of moving some of those units 'flush' with supplies to the immediate South to delay JJs units there?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3866
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 6:31:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Need to count the supply path for those Chinese troops in the good terrain - are they cut off from supply? Maybe JJ believes so and is out for the kill.

EDIT: Need to see the hex side ownership of the hex they are in to calculate the path.

My esteemed Argletonian colleague-I understand your point re: hex ownership and it's well taken, but look again at the map. Can you draw any reasoned LOS from the Chinese units at 85,42 to Sian or any other population center?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3867
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 6:55:08 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

My esteemed Argletonian colleague-I understand your point re: hex ownership and it's well taken, but look again at the map. Can you draw any reasoned LOS from the Chinese units at 85,42 to Sian or any other population center?

The point is the hex sides ownership, which is not displayed on that map. Got to select some far away hex (to get rid of the while borders) and use the 'w' key to show hex side ownership. They are close enough to supply sources if they own the right hex sides, so it all depends on that.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3868
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 7:03:29 PM   
sprior

Hex ownership around Sian, as you can see there is a path of uncontrolled hexes to other places. Also note that the supply sources for Sian are rather limited. There are currently 80, yes 80, supply points there. I have 30 or so transports and bombers flying in supplies too.

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3869
RE: Game theory and the Stasi - 2/11/2011 7:08:59 PM   
witpqs

Sorry Simon - but see how the hex in question is selected? The white highlighting of the hex is wiping out the red/green hex ownerships display for that hex. Select a hex over in the mountains (or anyplace out of the way) before you take the screen shot.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3870
Page:   <<   < prev  127 128 [129] 130 131   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Game theory and the Stasi Page: <<   < prev  127 128 [129] 130 131   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI