Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Colonies with negative GDP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colonies with negative GDP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 12:22:57 PM   
Apheirox

What causes this?
Post #: 1
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 12:40:55 PM   
ASHBERY76

Low quality.

(in reply to Apheirox)
Post #: 2
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 12:53:41 PM   
Bingeling

What are the expenses for a colony? Some invisible maintenance cost? Without expenses it should not go negative.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 1:17:45 PM   
Data

They are not explicitly stated anywhere but maitenance is the only one that could account for this. From what I see it's the same mechanism like in MOO2 with maintenance on every planet and more penalties for low quality ones, ergo the negative gdp. I think in the pedia somewhere it says that development will offset this eventually but it will take some time.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 1:41:33 PM   
lordxorn

Low Culture as well.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 5:54:14 PM   
frugaldude

Ashbury is correct.

From the galactopedia:
quote:

Planet Quality
Note that each planet and moon has a Quality rating that indicates how habitable it is. The highest quality planets are 100%. These should be prime targets for colonization.

However any planet or moon with a quality below 50% should be avoided. These planets will be a net drain on your empire’s economy if you colonize them. They will cost more to support than they produce in revenue. There may be rare situations where you choose to colonize a planet with quality less than 50% (e.g. has special resources), but beware of the negative affect on your empire revenue.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 7:04:07 PM   
Apheirox

Cheers for replies!

Another question along the same lines: Can you actually hurt your economy by expanding too much due to these new colonies driving up empire wide corruption (a system much like Civilization where expanding too fast could drain the economy due to maintenance/social policy costs)? Or will settling a new planet always produce a net gain?

(in reply to frugaldude)
Post #: 7
RE: Colonies with negative GDP - 2/12/2011 7:35:54 PM   
Data

on corruption experiences vary with each of us, I saw with other players that it can become a problem altough I play with the highest setting for it and never had problems
you will not get high gdp from new colonies for a long time, therefore the taxes are also insignifiant.....in the end the benefit comes here from the civ ships ordered for the new colonies. As long as the new colonies are not low quality, there are no costs for this; the infrastructure you'll need for them will cost you (spaceports and such).

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Apheirox)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Colonies with negative GDP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI