Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity (Japan only)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity (Japan only) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity (Ja... - 2/8/2011 3:40:00 AM   
vettim89

So having lost my senses I am doing the following

1. Starting a 3-day turn GC (Dec 8 start)
2. Playing Japan for the first time EVER (not even an AI game)
3. Taking on one of the most experienced AFB's on the Forums - Adm Spruance

So I am plotting the first turn. Mistakenly clicked PDU off and didn't realize it until I was three hours into plotting. Checked with my opponent and we decided to stick with it. Spent a good 45 minutes just staring at the map. It is a bit overwhelming. Finally decided that I would start with the easy stuff. Formed up a CVTF at Hiroshima/Kure and sent it to the Palaus. Broke up the subs around PH and sent them towards various points.

Will be hoping that all you JFB will take pity on this AFB and give me some help on the Economy. Tracker downloaded and installed

Grab your popcorn boys, this should be either real fun or really funny. Perhaps both

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
Post #: 1
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:10:52 AM   
Canoerebel

Good luck, Tim.

I assume this is Scenario One?

I have never considered playing as Japan due to the economy - I think I would hate the micromanagement. Do you enjoy micromanagement? If not, please comment at times during your match about whether you find it more onerous to play Japan from that standpoint.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 2
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:15:53 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

I have never considered playing as Japan due to the economy

If I can teach John how to run his economy over the phone and though emails, I can do so for you and even meet you in Chattanooga if needed.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:22:22 AM   
Nomad

OK Tim, I'll be watching to see what happens. Ask questions and you will get answers, just don't expect them to be perfect or unanimous.

And to Canoe, this would be scenario 6, Dec 8 start.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 2/8/2011 4:23:47 AM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:23:39 AM   
ny59giants

The carriers at Hiroshima you might want to upgrade them to Zeros if you have them and also re-size the air groups before you send them off. Do these two things and form a CV TF there and then disband. You should be able to pull up each carrier and see that the re-sizing is done.

I start with Malaya and work myself east. Save the game in a separate slot and after you do an area, run the turn against yourself. Take notes and make corrections where you can. Rinse and Repeat.

Save China for last as I have had to go through each base to see what the garrison requirements are and which units need to move where to get it met so you can free up the most combat power.

Decide now what you wish to capture by mid-42 and start to work in that direction. Many of us AFB have played as Japan and with Tracker, it can be done (hear than Dan....).

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 5
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:32:36 AM   
vettim89

It is a scenario 6 December 8 start. Our thinking that with 3 day turns, the Allies could be in for a slaughter if I didn't give them a chance to alter the opening dispositions. Only thing I decided to do for sure is send KB back to Japan.

As a dedicated AFB, I do have the advantage of knowing some of "holes" in the Allied defense.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 6
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 4:56:27 AM   
Canoerebel

Is Scenario Six similar, then, to Scenario One (in terms of balance of power) but begining on 12/8/41? Or is it similar to some other Scenario?

With the help of all the gracious tutors out there, I think I could learn the Japanese economy....I just don't think I want to. If I don't like pilot traning, I can't imagine I would enjoy production. But I'm not positive, so I'm hoping Tim will chime in as he rolls up his sleeves and gets to work.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 7
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 5:33:36 AM   
Cribtop

Welcome to the dark side and give 'em he'll. Think about extending the LBA umbrella quickly in the DEI, and definitely get Zeros on the Hiroshima CVs. I also choose to upgrade Saigon, Rabaul and Hankow to lvl 7 airfields quickly to allow for upgrades of air groups in the field, but this may be less important with PDU off. PDU off will reduce the combat power of your air force, but will make production easier. Read Mike Solli's AAR for some pointers on the economy.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 8
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 5:39:06 AM   
ckammp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Is Scenario Six similar, then, to Scenario One (in terms of balance of power) but begining on 12/8/41? Or is it similar to some other Scenario?

With the help of all the gracious tutors out there, I think I could learn the Japanese economy....I just don't think I want to. If I don't like pilot traning, I can't imagine I would enjoy production. But I'm not positive, so I'm hoping Tim will chime in as he rolls up his sleeves and gets to work.

Scenario 06 OOBs for Japan and Allies are the same as Scenario 01.
The only difference is the RL Dec 7 damage is reflected in the Allied side. (ie - Arizona and Oklahoma have all 99 damage, planes/ships damaged at PH, planes damaged at Clark Field)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 9
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 7:02:31 PM   
SqzMyLemon

Hi vettim89,

I too started my first game as Japan without any prior experience to the entire game in fact. I can always let you know pitfalls I've run across on my steep learning curve. I am also playing with PDU off and I have to admit I'm not keen on it. I think the game is hard enough for Japan as it is without being handicapped by having to rely on inferior aircraft for far longer into the game. One piece of advice is make sure you look at what Nate units you PP out of Kwantung. Many only upgrade to later versions of Oscar's so if you want Tojo's and Tony's early make sure you PP out the Sentai's that actually can upgrade to them. Some Nate units can't even upgrade until the Oscar IIb comes online so they are trainers for a good period of time.

Production wise go slow and steady and watch the research. Take full advantage of R&D'ing your aircraft along the development line to save on having to keep repairing factories. I always try to have at least two factories minimum researching and then have only one convert to production while the other is switched to researching the next generation aircraft BEFORE the current one comes online. Just make sure your factories are fully repaired first.

Be aggressive early, I was not and the Allies are pretty much intact. Good luck and all us JFB's will be rooting for you against a very good opponent.

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 10
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/8/2011 8:45:07 PM   
Captain Cruft

Wow 3 day turns. That will be hard ...

PDU Off makes Japanese production much easier, however there are some tedious things you need to get going with ASAP.

One of these is getting a system going for shipping Resources from Hokkaido to Honshu. The rest of the Home Islands are inter-linked by rail or road so you don't need to do anything there but Hokkaido is not.

Depending on port size, most of the stuff builds up in Hakodate, so this is the primary shipping point. I would steal an engineer unit from Kwantung and get it built up to size 7 as soon as you can. On the other hand, I would deliberately leave the port at Sapporo at size 5, otherwise it will start to "steal" the Resources from Hakodate, and it's a much longer journey.

On the other side of the "straits" you have Hirosaki/Amori and Ominato, which start at size 5. Build these two to size 6 (at least). I also like to build up Akita from 1 to size 3, as it makes a great complementary port for xAKLs to work with alongside the xAKs at the two larger ports. You can use these smaller ships at Sapporo and Muroran which by default will maintain smaller stockpiles of Resources.

I don't use CS convoys since they have a tendency to fail to Dock, which greatly slows the loading/unloading process down. Therefore, each and every turn I have to go all the above mentioned ports and sort out the TFs there by issuing Dock or Undock and/or Load Resources orders.

As I said, tedious, but it needs doing unfortunately.

In order to protect all this shipping and also to be able to contest a Kuriles landing I allocate some CLs, DDs and perhaps a couple of the old clunker BBs to 5th Fleet at Ominato. If you use BBs these may need AKE support until Ominato can get to size 7.

To further the same goals I keep the IJN airgroups at Ominato as "operational" units rather than training ones, and I keep the high experience initial pilots in place instead of sending them to the pool. I also divert some IJA bomber groups from Kwantung for ASW duty. This is a great use for otherwise useless Idas. You will need to ship some aviation support over to Hokkaido to do this though. There are a bunch of "JAAF Bns" or "JNAF Bns" at places like Toyama assigned to the un-restricted 11th Air Flotilla which you may want to use for this.

Alongside these measures, although I have yet to really succeed at it, I have a plan to close the entrance to the Sea of Japan at Wakkanai to subs. It is quite easy to do this at the other end at Tsushima et al using mines, but there is an empty sea hex to the east of Wakkanai where that won't work. However, if you can do this then all convoys from Hokkaido should be free from fear of sub attack.

Make sure you convert some ACMs to maintain the minefields at Ominato and Hakodate to help with this. I use the 4,000 endurance 330 capacity PBs for this, or the equivalent xAKL.

Just some thoughts on one small but important area of operations

< Message edited by Captain Cruft -- 2/8/2011 8:59:48 PM >

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 11
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 4:04:43 AM   
vettim89

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

I find myself suddenly having a higher level appreciation for the hard core JFB among you. Turn 1 is daunting. I got about six hours in and am basically doing just the simple stuff.

One question: the CVE that starts near Palau, where do you get some air units for it's air group?

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 12
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 9:53:55 AM   
Cuttlefish

Welcome to the dark side! Playing Japan in this game will break your heart in the end but it's an interesting ride in the meantime.

As for Taiyo, there are some Val units that come along fairly early and one can be placed aboard and resized. I sometimes do that. I always struggle to find a role for that carrier, though. At speed 21 it's too slow to accompany even the slower Japanese CVs and CVLs. When '43 rolls around you can probably find a Zero daitai that needs a little training and place it aboard for some extra fighter cover over convoys.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 13
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 4:22:22 PM   
Cribtop

I use it to ferry the Claudes in the Marshalls and at Truk home for upgrade to Zeros. Again, with PDU off this may not be an option. It's just too slow to do much.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 14
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 4:24:58 PM   
Canoerebel

Shouldn't the title of this AAR be "Walking the Fine Line between Bravery and Knavery"?

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 15
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 7:12:53 PM   
vettim89

quote:

Shouldn't the title of this AAR be "Walking the Fine Line between Bravery and Knavery"?

Time will tell

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/9/2011 9:52:35 PM   
FatR

In my opinion, even 2-day turns hamper Japan alot initially. 3-day turns probably will be extremely punitive. Allies will suffer less later in the war, because they have less need to move at lightning speed. In combination with PDU OFF I would advise sticking to historical period + Port Moresby - Aleutians + (only if you're still doing well) Darwin area. Don't commit heavily to Luzon, unless your opponent really exposes his forces to destruction. Concentrate on getting Singapore and southern Sumatra ASAP. Move early, rapidly and forcefully in China, this is probably one of the few theatres where lack of day-to-day control might benefit Japanese early. In fact, if your opponent fails to make any early counterattacks, I'd advise concentrating on knocking out China, or at least reducing it to a state that will preclude Allied comeback there.

Shut down about half of the armament factories right away. You're still likely to have a surplus, and there are enough points in the pool to make adjustments safely. Expand vehicles to about 150. Expand naval shipyards as needed to build all the ships you can, except maybe some or all of the subs, as these cost a lot, and as you should know, grow increasingly worthless late in the war. Not like there is much point in overconcentrating on air production with PDU OFF. Research Oscars and A6M3 line of Zeros heavily, as you're stuck with them. Franks as well, at least you'll have some good fighters. Devote every air unit you can without immediately harming your air operations to training (100% training mission, units overfilled to the limit, range doesn't really matter much, but let it be 0). Particularly those stuck with junk planes. Stockpile pilots, and use them later in the war to ensure, that at least units with good airframes will never be short on trained replacements.

< Message edited by FatR -- 2/9/2011 9:53:26 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 17
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/10/2011 12:26:48 PM   
GreasyLake

Wow Tim, Wow! Stumbled upon this early today. Always thought you could be really good at playing Japan with your level of knowledge and dedication to detail/planning. Do not know about 3 day turns though. I think AE is a lot easier than old WITP to play Japan. Even I have not been able to crash the economy so far.
The more turns you run and get everything rolling the way you want the better you will enjoy it, especially at first. Maybe not so much by 44-45!!!

Anyway congrats on taking the plunge, playing a skilled opponent I will surely enjoy reading of your JFB frustrations.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 18
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/13/2011 12:10:00 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreasyLake

Wow Tim, Wow! Stumbled upon this early today. Always thought you could be really good at playing Japan with your level of knowledge and dedication to detail/planning. Do not know about 3 day turns though. I think AE is a lot easier than old WITP to play Japan. Even I have not been able to crash the economy so far.
The more turns you run and get everything rolling the way you want the better you will enjoy it, especially at first. Maybe not so much by 44-45!!!

Anyway congrats on taking the plunge, playing a skilled opponent I will surely enjoy reading of your JFB frustrations.

Larry!!!!! Good to here from you. Well we shall see here

Newb JFB question: how do I convert AK to AP?

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 19
First Turn - 2/16/2011 4:04:24 AM   
vettim89

8-10 December 1941

Interesting beginning. Both the Vigan bound TF and Iba bound TF ran afoul of the AK's running from Hong Kong. Because I did not set direct/absolute on the routeing, they turned back towards Formosa. Only a small force landed at Iba consisting of artillery and engineers - oops. Hopefully the rest of the troops will offload before the Allies counterattack.

On Malaya only minimal Allied response. I did not alter the landings at all so it is basically straight forward here. Going to try to bypass Georgetown and Alor Star and shoot down the middle. Doubt if that will work but wanted to do something a little different here to keep my opponent on his toes.

KB has refueled and will now take a circuitous route back to the HI. First swinging west of Midway and then south past wake. All the A/C are set on Naval Attack/airfield. My thinking is if I hit Midway's AB hard enough I might take out some PBY's which are in very short supply for the Allies right now. Also there are ships at Wake which puzzles me unless he broke off some cruisers from the CVTF and sent them there. Of note, an I-Boat put a TT into CV Enterprise west of Oahu. SHe is on the sunk ships list but there are no naval a/c on the list as destroyed. I know when that lieing FOW is up to no good. Build your hopes up and then zing, "reports of sinking of CV Enterprise were in error"

I took Makin and kept the TF heading for Kavieng and Shortlands. Going to move some additional support forces into place before I hit Rabaul. I would not be surprised to see a welcoming commmitte there when I arrive.

The 33rd ID is loading at Nagasaki to be moved to Indochina and then points south. I have a plan for KB once it gets back from PH.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 20
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/16/2011 6:37:38 AM   
stuman

quote:

3 day turns, PDU off ? First time as the Japanese ? An interesting challenge !

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 21
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/16/2011 3:59:34 PM   
Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

My vote would have been "Walking the Fine Line between Idiocy and Stupidity"

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 22
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/16/2011 4:44:34 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

My vote would have been "Walking the Fine Line between Idiocy and Stupidity"

You guys are so mean to me your humble AAR writer and infant JFB (or is it infantile?) Despite the self imposed limitations, I am looking forward to having my arse handed to me. I like PDU off as it will give the game a certain historical flavor. I think 3-day turns will lead to a slowing of the ops pace too. Time will tell

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 23
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/16/2011 4:57:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Hey, Tim, who came up with the original title!

Anybody willing to take on a tough assignment (and aren't they all for those playing the Japanese?) deserve some encouraging words. I wish you the best.

I'll also be interested in your take on managing the Japanese economy. Is it challenging and fun, or is it tedious and boring?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/16/2011 4:58:32 PM >

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 24
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/16/2011 7:23:07 PM   
Nomad

I have always found the Japanese economy to be quite interesting and I will say that having Tracker available is necessary( at least for me ).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 25
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/17/2011 6:24:50 AM   
vettim89

Dan, the economy is a game within the game. So far I do not find it burdensome. I think with PDU off it actually is a little easier as I cannot really mess with the a/c production system too much as the game will require me to stick to pretty much what is set up from the get go. I won't say it runs itself but I think you will find it actually takes less work than pilot training

11-13 December 1941

I don't think I have ever seen so much sub action in a sequence of turnes. The RNN subs really made a pest of themselves. O20 especially was active off Saigon. The USN fleet boats got lucky too hitting Cl Kitakami off Okinawa and sinking two AKL in the Wake Invasion force. My subs caught a few xAK fleeing the PI and a Ro-Boat put two TT into CA Pensacola south of Makin. She is listed as sunk and I think she might very well be gone.

Of course that is only after the aforementioned USN heavy cruiser hit the Makin Invasion TF and all but obliterated it. Just a few AKL's and PB but every little bit counts. My Miri invasion was intercepted by the Hong Kong DD's and trashed. I am embarassed to say that I trail in ships sunk at this point (of note, I have not yet received credit for BB Arizona nor BB Oklahoma). That will likely change very quickly as a SCTF built around two CA forced the Makassar Strait and is now blocking the escape route for a lot of shipping fleeing the PI. It already sank 3 xAK. Baby KB also did some damage but is now out of TT. The CVL and CVE from Hiroshima will be in the Palaus when that TF gets back.

Wake Island fell to the first attack and KB did not spot any ships. May have just been subs I saw last "turn". Troops are ashore in Northern NG with several bases set to fall next trun. Kavieng and The Shortlands should also fall next turn.

Well I may have really messed on Luzon. The force I landed at Iba is now up against it. The enemy unit count has grown to eight and I am on the wrong end of a 300 to 34 base AS ratio. The second wave is one day out but I fear it may be one day too late. If my troops can hold for just one turn I think the crisis will be passed. Here's hoping. The good news is that my opponent indicated the first iteration of turns basically eliminated his AF on Luzon.

Still adjusting to three day turns and playing the IJN. I will post about the economy after next turn to see what you guys think.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 26
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/18/2011 12:25:04 PM   
GreasyLake

I have never converted AK to AP but some AK have the ability to convert the cargo space to troop space and become an AKt ??? Not sure of the exact designation but I stumbled upon this ability in a larger port. Have not read the manual on this which might prove very useful but I have converted some cargo space on AK's to troop space quite by chance. Troop space went up to at least 1000 if I remember correctly. Happened in level 9 home island port where I was looking for some AK to convert to PC, found an option on several AK ship info screen to convert cargo to troop space. Gotta wait the 10 or so days for the change-over.

Kudos for the 3 day turns. Still learning AE after a year myself.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 27
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/19/2011 2:22:54 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreasyLake

I have never converted AK to AP but some AK have the ability to convert the cargo space to troop space and become an AKt ??? Not sure of the exact designation but I stumbled upon this ability in a larger port. Have not read the manual on this which might prove very useful but I have converted some cargo space on AK's to troop space quite by chance. Troop space went up to at least 1000 if I remember correctly. Happened in level 9 home island port where I was looking for some AK to convert to PC, found an option on several AK ship info screen to convert cargo to troop space. Gotta wait the 10 or so days for the change-over.

Kudos for the 3 day turns. Still learning AE after a year myself.

Found the answer. My problem was that I was looking at too small of a port to try to do the conversion. Bunch now in the process.

14-16 December 1941

First the situation at Iba never materialized. My troops landed during both phases on the 14th to bring up the strength. Then, the Allies only bombarded which went very bad for them. All I had in the hex was artillery but a lot of artillery. The Filipinos lost 1300 troops and 69 tanks to 300 troops and 20 tanks for IJA. Everybody is ashore and a deliberate attack is ordered this sequence. Base AV is only 450 to 300 but I think the Filipinos are a bit beat up now. Manilla and Clark field are at 100% AB damage and will remain that way until my LCU arrive. There will be no fort building here. Maubin fell and a force a little less than a division equivalent is making for Batangas. Probably will not arrive by end of this cycle.

We had a little SCTF clash at Tarakan and I came out on the wrong end. Only lost the one DD but the other ships are beat up. He lost a DD and I suspect Ca Houston is in trouble

Night Time Surface Combat, near Tarakan at 67,91, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD Sagiri, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Tsuta, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Yomogi

Allied Ships
CA Houston, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 2
CL Boise, Shell hits 2
DD Barker
DD Bulmer, Shell hits 1
DD Paul Jones
DD Parrott, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
DD Stewart, Shell hits 1, on fire

Betweeen SCTF intercepts, A/C and subs, I killed about 12 xAKL, two xAK, a CM, and two DD. I still trail in points but now lead in number of ships sunk. Still no report on the two PH BB's so those are hidden from me for now. Lots of sub action again this turn. Of note one of the xAKL sinkings gave troop losses - must have been trying to sneak out a BF. I had not one but two subs hit the dreaded VH1 mines and sink (are the MTV mines any less deadly?)

Aitape, Wewak, Guam, Kavieng, Shortlands, and Vigan all fell in this cycle. Hong Kong came close but my troops were not up to three days of Deliberate Attacks in a row. The will go three days of Bombardment then Shock attack next cycle.

In the air, only a few notes. Part of the AVG is actually in China. The Curtisses were seen over Hong Kong and Liuchow. Nellies killed an xAK and a HTML north of the Malacca Strait.

Toying with the idea of doing a second mini-sub raid on PH.

(in reply to GreasyLake)
Post #: 28
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/19/2011 10:51:52 PM   
vettim89

16-19 December 1941

Okay this is getting old. My Menado TF ran across the Filipino Q boats (PT's). Two things are irritating about this: first the invasion force is escorted by a SCTF which engaged teh PT's afterwards and anihilated them; then the TF once again turn back towards home instead of going forward. Setting the routing seems fruitless as any AMPH TF that encounters anything seems to want to run home to Momma. Hope this happens to my opponent a few times when he goes on offensive.

Somehow I completely messed up Malaya. All my units are still sitting in their original hexes after 12 days. Nobody has moved forward yet. This initially was my fault as I thought I could push the road up the cennter by setting a base in the south as march destination. Well the game saw the one small unit in the way and plotted around instead of directly towards. Still I caught this after one "turn", but that cost me three days.

Brunei and Miri invasions are setting out thsi time with heavy SCTF cover. Kuching TF will also make landfall this turn again with heavy cover (BB's for this one in case he tries to sneak POW into the hex). Manus should fall on the 20th and a few other small NG bases are being picked off.

Adm Spruance appears to be pulling out of Iba as the AS has fallen to 96. It should fall this next turn. Batangas is unoccupied and it will likely fall on the 20th also.

Where the real action is in China. The AVG is their in force as is a considerable portion of the RAF. Our units are being bombed by Blenheims and Hudsons. They are all concentrating on Ichang where the KMT seems to be in the mood to take it back. I find the whole idea a bit on the raching side but they seem to be flying from Chungking. If that is so, I can't see how my opponent can object to my bombing the AB there.

I know many JFB abandon Ichang early on, but it is an important base for me as far as my plans go. Unfortunately, my inexperience at the Japan side puts me at a disadvantage as I am just trying to figure out how to free up some AS from garrison duties. I have moved a lot of stuff now and hoepfully I will be able to stave off his advances. We have three bases now invested as you can see from the map

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 29
RE: Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity... - 2/19/2011 11:46:35 PM   
Blackhorse

quote:

I know many JFB abandon Ichang early on, but it is an important base for me as far as my plans go. Unfortunately, my inexperience at the Japan side puts me at a disadvantage as I am just trying to figure out how to free up some AS from garrison duties. I have moved a lot of stuff now and hoepfully I will be able to stave off his advances. We have three bases now invested as you can see from the map

Based on the deployment of forces at start, you should be able to squat in Sinyang pretty much forever until you can bring up enough reinforcements to kick out the Chinese - or try to pin them and cut them off; and you should only have to rail in a couple of good-quality brigades to clear the Paotow area investment. But you could easily lose Ichang (and your opponent is smart to have moved into the eastern woods, as well) unless you sent / are sending heavy reinforcements up the road from Hankow.

Good luck!

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Walking the Fine Line Between Bravery and Stupidity (Japan only) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI