Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What does it mean?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What does it mean? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 10:10:47 AM   
alfonso

I must confess that I have some difficulty with understanding the following sentence (manual, p 125): "In addition, friendly hexes that are not adjacent to a friendly combat unit that can only trace a path of friendly hexes to isolated friendly units will also become enemy hexes"

Each time I read it I cannot help remembering the "contract part" sketch from the Marx brothers, and I cannot concentrate enough.

Please, can anyone one explain what does it mean?
Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 11:53:02 AM   
Shellshock

I think it means that friendly hexes that can only trace a path of friendly hexes to an isolated unit will become an enemy hex if not adjacent to a friendly unit, isolated or otherwise.

However, if I think about too much my brain begins to melt.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 2
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 12:26:36 PM   
alfonso

So, is it: "In addition, friendly hexes (not adjacent to a friendly combat unit) that can (....) trace a path of friendly hexes only to isolated friendly units will also become enemy hexes"?

Ok, ok. That makes sense, thank you...

< Message edited by alfonso -- 3/4/2011 12:31:21 PM >

(in reply to Shellshock)
Post #: 3
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 2:11:37 PM   
NinetyNine

Since you guys have made me confused over something I wasn't aware I should be confused over, I have to ask:

In practical terms, does this mean that if I move a unit by itself too deep into enemy territory(100 MP past a railhead), wait a turn(to gain isolated status), and then fail to fix the isolation issue in the next turn, the hexes I converted on my first turn of movement will auto-revert back to the enemy?

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 4
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 2:33:19 PM   
GBS

Have you noticed when making an axis advance that there are isolated areas left behind of enemy hexes where there is no enemy units present. You notice that the next turn those turn to axis hexes? I think that is what this means.

(in reply to alfonso)
Post #: 5
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 2:47:21 PM   
alfonso

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinetyNine

Since you guys have made me confused over something I wasn't aware I should be confused over, I have to ask:

In practical terms, does this mean that if I move a unit by itself too deep into enemy territory(100 MP past a railhead), wait a turn(to gain isolated status), and then fail to fix the isolation issue in the next turn, the hexes I converted on my first turn of movement will auto-revert back to the enemy?

I would say yes, but only if the hexes converted in the first turn can be connected exclusively with your isolated unit . For instance, the trail left behind by the advancing PanzerDiv: when it is reconnected at the base, all those converted hexes can be connected only to the spearhead, but this is now isolated. So you will lose them. You will keep, though, the hex where your unit is, and the 6 hexes around.

I recall seeing that units isolated in the deep enemy rear have a bubble around them. If you move that unit, the bubble is distorted, because you gain momentarily some new hexes. But the next turn, you have again the perfect bubble around the new location. That means that you cannot "conquer" Poland with a stranded and forgotten Russian Div.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

< Message edited by alfonso -- 3/4/2011 2:53:46 PM >

(in reply to NinetyNine)
Post #: 6
RE: What does it mean? - 3/4/2011 3:44:27 PM   
EntropyAvatar

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinetyNine

If it's isolation only because of the distance from the railhead, I think you keep those hexes. The hexes can trace a path back to friendly, non-isolated units, so they don't revert. Of course, if you move too deep and the enemy moves behind you and cuts you off that way, then all those hexes that aren't adjacent to your units are gone.

(in reply to NinetyNine)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What does it mean? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI