Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wacht am Palembang

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wacht am Palembang Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/9/2011 7:40:48 PM   
sprior

Wait til we get Spitfires, then we'll be really unsporting.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 4231
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/9/2011 8:13:58 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Wait til we get Spitfires, then we'll be really unsporting.

Being sporting is so over rated. Wait till you get Mustangs,Hellcats and Coursairs! Now that's unsporting!

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4232
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/9/2011 8:19:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

That is the thing about the Hurri. Unless the round hits the pilot or engine there is just a faint tearing sound and a couple inches of duct tape when you get back to base.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4233
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/10/2011 5:25:05 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

Nope. They're oblivious to it.

Speaking of ned idiots, I was at Edinburgh zoo with the GF years ago and we were at the Tiger enclosure, a beautiful big cat with eyes full of true intelligence was within, regarding the humans on the other side of the glass wall with something like utter disdain and it wasn't hard to see why. There was a full ned family: dad, mum, two kids all wrapped up in kappa tracksuits and nikes. Dad ned was banging away on the glass, regardless of the huge signs all over the place asking him to refrain from doing just that as it upsets the animals. After a minute or two he turns to me and says "This Lion's pure crap, by ra way. it wilnae bark or anything."

I hate zoos. The wrong creatures are always locked up in them.

<recalls in horror at the thought that >50% of Americans have Scotch/Irish backgrounds>

Actually, immigration explains that seeming conundrum, Cap:

Most of the smart ones got the hell out of Scotland and Ireland ASAP and came to America.

The dumb ones stayed behind.

A few hundred years later, after several more generations of inbreeding among what's left, you get these whitebread Hip-Hop moron wannabees pictured in the video.

"Devolution" at work!

It's a classic example of natural selection and population genetics in action.

Hey! Some of us are still here! I can almost count to five and have never hardly stabbed anyone.

Neds are a bit of local colour, like the Amish or something. With less barn building. And more Buckfast.

Any more of this viscous slander and King Sean the first will authorize a new Susan Boyle album. You all heard what she did to 'Wild Horses,' Just think what she could do to ZZ Top.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 4234
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/11/2011 8:32:00 PM   
Grollub

Armost page two. Bump!

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 4235
Spanglish - 3/11/2011 11:32:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

To give you and idea how thoroughly the English language has been bastardized in Southern California, my hot neighbor with the bolt-ons hired a roofing contractor to replace her roof.

Carefully lettered on the side of the truck is "El Rufo Company"

I had to look twice. To begin with, "rufo" isn't even the Spanish word for "roof". To make matters worse the article is Spanish and "company" is in English, of course. Not to mention that the actual Spanish word for "company" calls for the feminine article. I don't even know what the say. Is calling something "El Rufo Company" a marketing decision? Are they trying to have a broad appeal? I suppose it is meant to be some kind of cross-cultural bridge.

Santa Maria!

**************************July 30, 1942***********************

South Pacific: An S boat put a torp into a tanker near Kirakira, wherever that is. The bombers at Suva didn't fly again. I wonder if there is some kidn of creeping morale problem. The ground bombardment attacks at Nadi have gone negative again and the assault value of the WJD's seems to be increasing. I am thinking of asking General Patton to come by.

Oz: In perhaps the biggest single raid of heavy bombers to date in the Pacific, 40 x B-17E and 7 x B-24 roughed up elements of the IJA 20th and 5th Div at Katherine. That makes at least 5th, 20th and 38th Div still at Katherine.

China: The WJD's have launched soem kind of summer offensive and are killing or wounding large numbers of WCD's. I would give you more information but I dont know where any of the cities are.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4236
RE: Spanglish - 3/11/2011 11:42:43 PM   
Alfred

Kirakira is a dot base 120 nm SE of Tulagi.

Alfred

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 4237
RE: Spanglish - 3/11/2011 11:55:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****************El Cholo Club, near bomber strip, Suva Aerodrome, Fiji, July 30, 1942**************

A dozen young USAAF officers in flight jackets are gathered around a hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes.

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: ....look, we all have the same goal. We ALL want for this to be over and to go home to our homes and families, right? God knows, this is my third time.

Young USAAF officer: Third time?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Yes, third time.

Young USAAF officer: Do you mean Captain, this is your third war?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Yes, A, B, and C.

Young USAAF officer: Don't you mean I and II sir?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: No, I mean A, B and C.

Young man in fine linen slacks: Captain, Yossarian. Aren't you straying off topic? The business opportunity?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Oh, yeah, the business opportunity. Right, it's like this. What is the best way to achieve that goal, through a top-down command and control model or by harnessing the restless spirit of innovation and creativity that resides in all of us?

Young man in fine linen slacks: <soto voce> Son of a bitch! That was damn good!................

Post #: 4238
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 12:32:57 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Buzzword bingo!

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 4239
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 12:36:12 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Buzzword bingo!

Dood;

This is 1942. Where do you think Reagn's speechwriters will get their inspiration?

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 4240
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 3:35:25 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

*****************El Cholo Club, near bomber strip, Suva Aerodrome, Fiji, July 30, 1942**************

A dozen young USAAF officers in flight jackets are gathered around a hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes.

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: ....look, we all have the same goal. We ALL want for this to be over and to go home to our homes and families, right? God knows, this is my third time.

Young USAAF officer: Third time?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Yes, third time.

Young USAAF officer: Do you mean Captain, this is your third war?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Yes, A, B, and C.

Young USAAF officer: Don't you mean I and II sir?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: No, I mean A, B and C.

Young man in fine linen slacks: Captain, Yossarian. Aren't you straying off topic? The business opportunity?

Hirsute man in an orange pilots uniform with grey pinstripes: Oh, yeah, the business opportunity. Right, it's like this. What is the best way to achieve that goal, through a top-down command and control model or by harnessing the restless spirit of innovation and creativity that resides in all of us?

Young man in fine linen slacks: <soto voce> Son of a bitch! That was damn good!................

Santos Mio! Whatever he's selling, I'm buying, Big Guy!

"The color of scarcity is Golden-Green." A sign I saw displayed over my local Gas Station when I filled up the Expedition today.

I think MIlo's grandson owns the place.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 4241
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 8:25:47 AM   
sprior

quote:

Not to mention that the actual Spanish word for "company" calls for the feminine article. I don't even know what the say.

I should introduce you to the wonders of franglais.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 4242
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 1:48:59 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Not to mention that the actual Spanish word for "company" calls for the feminine article. I don't even know what the say.

Isn't that the one you need the adhesive moustache for? Or is that more frenchlish?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4243
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 6:02:14 PM   
Ossian

quote:

Santa Maria!
....The ground bombardment attacks at Nadi have gone negative again...

Negative? Doesn't that mean they're shelling their own troops? Hmm....I wonder if they're using shells supplied by the WJD? It sounds like the sort of opportunity for cost efficiency a certain young man in fine linen slacks might be able to facilitate..

Post #: 4244
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 6:04:48 PM   
Ossian

quote:

quote:

No need for franglais: The comedian Al Murray maintains that the reason we should speak very slowly and very loudly when addressing Johnny Foreigner is that it forces their brains to vibrate on the resonant frequency required to understand English. I haven't tried it yet, myself.

< Message edited by Ossian -- 3/12/2011 6:05:30 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4245
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 8:15:44 PM   
erstad

quote:

No need for franglais: The comedian Al Murray maintains that the reason we should speak very slowly and very loudly when addressing Johnny Foreigner is that it forces their brains to vibrate on the resonant frequency required to understand English. I haven't tried it yet, myself.

I'm not familiar with Al Murray, but I assume it also helps if you throw in sterotypical phonemes from the language in question at the beginning or ends of the English words.

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 4246
RE: Spanglish - 3/12/2011 10:59:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

quote:

I'm not familiar with Al Murray, but I assume it also helps if you throw in sterotypical phonemes from the language in question at the beginning or ends of the English words.

what-o are you talking about-o?

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 4247
RE: Spanglish - 3/14/2011 10:23:20 PM   
rtrapasso

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4248
RE: Spanglish - 3/14/2011 10:34:58 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Maybe their opponents are on a fast space journey and are experiencing relativistic time dilation?

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4249
RE: Spanglish - 3/14/2011 10:45:49 PM   
Mynok

Perhaps they made the unfortunate call to do a little barnstorming in a Oscar.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4250
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/14/2011 10:50:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Nah....Stalker Girl has been needy...I had to come in to work on Sunday...and I signed for that AE tourney...and the HOA is busting my chops again.

We are actually waiting on a turn now. Admiral Lord Sprior wants more fuel in Oz...he is right.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4251
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/14/2011 10:53:31 PM   
sprior

Fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel fuel

Bloody Vikings!

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 4252
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/15/2011 2:02:25 AM   
Onime No Kyo

I think Simon might be a Monty Python fan. But I cant be certain....

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4253
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/16/2011 2:24:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********SouPac Air HQ, Suva, August 1, 1942*********

Adm Halsey:..I still haven't seen the intel estimate after yesterday's raid at Nadi.

Aide 1: Admiral, that is because there were no raids again yesterday sir.

Adm Halsey: Hmmm..weather?

Aide 1: No sir, good weather over the target, sir.

Adm Halsey: Goddamnit! I am getting pretty goddamned tired of this. I want all the squadron CO's in my office in 15 minutes!

Aide 1: Yes sir! <scurries out>

Aide 2: Sir, there is a Captain Meaney here to see you.

Adm Halsey: Who the Hell is he?

Aide 2: He says he is the new shop foreman and wants to talk about overtime rules. He says he's from the new Pilot's Union.

Adm Halsey: Shop foreman? Overtime rules? Pilot's union?<stands at his desk and begins to get red in the face...but not from a rash this time>

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4254
RE: Wacht am Palembang - 3/16/2011 2:39:58 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I am pretty sure it's the Pilot's Union. The stack level looks OK. Weather is good . Supply is good. The Air Boss is a Pit Bull. The range is 1.

There can't possibly be any Jap LRCAP over Nadi, can there?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4255
RE: Spanglish - 3/16/2011 2:48:54 PM   
fcharton

quote:

Not to mention that the actual Spanish word for "company" calls for the feminine article. I don't even know what the say. Is calling something "El Rufo Company" a marketing decision?

If "rufo" is a masculine, and the -o ending suggests so, this is actually legit. Means "company of the roof", "el" goes with rufo.

As for franglais, isn't litterary english, to some extent, a genre-impaired dialect of French?

Francois

Post #: 4256
RE: Spanglish - 3/16/2011 3:16:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

quote:

Not to mention that the actual Spanish word for "company" calls for the feminine article. I don't even know what the say. Is calling something "El Rufo Company" a marketing decision?

If "rufo" is a masculine, and the -o ending suggests so, this is actually legit. Means "company of the roof", "el" goes with rufo.

Aha! I would accept that "rufo" is masculine (even though it is made up) but, as you suggest, the real construction should "the company of the roof" or "la compania del rufo" so the first article should be feminine or perhaps simply the English "The"...or whatever the want...which seems to be the predominant grammatical rule in Spanglish.

By ra way...they just finished putting on a faux would shingle product that comes in sheets. It looks surprisingly good from ground level. Other than the fact that they screwed around a bit on day one waiting for the product, they did a really good job. They worked hard and several times were still working at night WITHOUT LIGHTS about 7:30 when I got home. I would not want to be the liability guarantor of El Rufo Company.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 4257
Big Boy - 3/16/2011 3:31:24 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So I was out walking the quadripedal house destroyers the other night and this woman pulls up in a white Escalade.

Woman in a white Escalade: Excuse me, have you seen a lost dog?

Me: No, I haven't, what does he look like, I'll keep my eyes open.

Woman in a white Escalade: Oh, he's a Papillon, like this one.

Me: <I now notice a small pair of mammalian eyes and a puff of fur peeking out over the door> OH. <I don't have the heart to tell her that I thought she was talking about an actual dog instead a hamster cross. Jerry the rabbit was 3x the size of this thing and he STILL got killed by the bobcat. The big owl that prowls the neighborhood skies at night could take this thing easily. Then there are the coyotes. I don't even think a mountain lion would bother with the thing. I keep up the charade>

What is his name?

Woman in a white Escalade: Oh, he's "Big Boy".

Big Boy? Holy crap! No wonder the thing is lost. He is probably tired of all the teasing from the neghborhood dogs. I imagine he has rolled in left over meat and is sitting on the golf course, shivering, waiting for the coyotes with his eyes closed.

Post #: 4258
RE: Big Boy - 3/16/2011 3:44:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Seeing the same vulnerability that I have seen, JJ has just landed on Tagula Is. Where is that? I will show you. I have been considering putting troops ashore there but have been waiting on the carrier refits which are now done. I am going to put ashore 21st Marine, a Marine Def. Bn., 2 SeeBee Bn's, a Bn of AA and some aviation support ashore at Rossel before they get the field ready on Tagula. A portion of naval support unit will be put ashore by the SST Nautilus before the landing. I have a low value AVP heading for Ndeni to scout Lunga with PBY's. I think I can get in from the SW with a good level of surprise and get the bulk ashore in 2-3 days then outbuild the Japs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/16/2011 3:46:18 PM >

Post #: 4259
RE: Big Boy - 3/16/2011 4:29:46 PM   
witpqs

Perhaps a misunderstanding - El Rufo might be the man's title. You know, CEO, as in "The Roof of the Company".

< Message edited by witpqs -- 3/16/2011 4:30:43 PM >

Post #: 4260
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Wacht am Palembang Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI