Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 3/15/2011 6:58:15 PM   
jzardos

I bought the game several weeks back. For me I was able to discover how I would like or dislike the game from the AARs, misc forum threads, and all the beautiful screen shots on the Matrix site. So personally I think a demo is not needed. In fact, I agree with others that I would rather see the time spent on game/editor improvements rather than working in code for a demo.

So a demo is not needed for a game like WitE. Look through the AARs and screen shots and I think most would know if this is a game for them or not.

For a game like this, I can't see the cost justification for a demo. Most people already know they like games like this or not.

< Message edited by jzardos -- 3/15/2011 6:59:12 PM >

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 31
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 3/15/2011 7:00:21 PM   
Ascended

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

Maybe instead of a full-blown demo people can watch a video of WITE gameplay.  I believe there's already a demo video on U-tube for WITE.  Lemme go check.  I'm back....yep, there is one.  I watched it and I'm not sure but what that won't whet the appetite of war gamers everywhere.   

Video Link
Adding the link to your post.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 32
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 3/15/2011 9:30:46 PM   
Berkut

What they should do, and I said this long ago, is simply make the manual available for download.

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 33
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 3/15/2011 11:48:55 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hopefully, an up to date one instead of the one we have now. 

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 34
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 3/18/2011 1:21:14 AM   
Ascended

Nice review

I love the site.

< Message edited by Ascended -- 3/18/2011 1:22:38 AM >

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 35
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/15/2011 10:19:49 PM   
Antonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

I bought the game several weeks back. For me I was able to discover how I would like or dislike the game from the AARs, misc forum threads, and all the beautiful screen shots on the Matrix site. So personally I think a demo is not needed. In fact, I agree with others that I would rather see the time spent on game/editor improvements rather than working in code for a demo.

So a demo is not needed for a game like WitE. Look through the AARs and screen shots and I think most would know if this is a game for them or not.

For a game like this, I can't see the cost justification for a demo. Most people already know they like games like this or not.

For me it's not a matter of whether or not I will like the game. I know I would like it. The problem is: will it run on my PC? My computer is 6 years old and does meet the recommended specifications. But there are other games I've downloaded demos for that run poorly on my machine even though it comfotrably meets their recommended specs.

For the price Matrix is asking for this game, I would like to be sure. The economy being what it is, I can't justify spending a lot of money just to see.

Computer games are a luxury. I don't have money to throw away.

< Message edited by Antonin -- 8/15/2011 10:20:50 PM >

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 36
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/15/2011 11:04:36 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos

For me it's not a matter of whether or not I will like the game. I know I would like it. The problem is: will it run on my PC? My computer is 6 years old and does meet the recommended specifications. But there are other games I've downloaded demos for that run poorly on my machine even though it comfotrably meets their recommended specs.

For the price Matrix is asking for this game, I would like to be sure. The economy being what it is, I can't justify spending a lot of money just to see.

IMO I think this is a very poor reason to spend development time on a demo. There are reasons for minimum specs on games, it's not just wasted print on the box. Let's say you play the demo and it works fine for what you're able to do in a small demo campaign. Then you buy the game and find out that playing a full campaign just doesn't run on your computer because of the memory footprint (or some other reason).

Now what? I guess the logic of a demo for your situation makes no sense, because you're still not happy.

I would prefer and hope that no development time is EVER EVER EVER wasted on a demo for this game. There's just too many options for people to determine if they will like it. Frankly speaking, if you've ever bought any strategy war game other than WiTE since 2011, it wasn't the best use of your money. This is the best money I've ever spent on any game of any genre.

There's been no argument and will not ever be a valid argument to have a demo for this game. Sorry that is just the way it is.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 8/15/2011 11:06:45 PM >

(in reply to Antonin)
Post #: 37
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/16/2011 6:49:17 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antonin

For what is worth I tried WitE during ALPHA/BETA on my 5+ years old IMB ThinkPad Notebooks at work and game worked just fine (please note that player can adjust game settings to speed up things) - the game was playable...

Also, there is no real-time action in games like WitE (i.e. there is no 3D action that needs 30 FPS for example) - this is strategic wargame played on map where turns last hours to make - so such simulations can almost always work on old hardware just fine!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Antonin)
Post #: 38
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/16/2011 9:57:39 PM   
Antonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian
There's been no argument and will not ever be a valid argument to have a demo for this game. Sorry that is just the way it is.

No, that's not just the way it is. That's just your opinion, which is worth no more and no less than mine.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 39
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/16/2011 10:01:10 PM   
Antonin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

For what is worth I tried WitE during ALPHA/BETA on my 5+ years old IMB ThinkPad Notebooks at work and game worked just fine (please note that player can adjust game settings to speed up things) - the game was playable...

Also, there is no real-time action in games like WitE (i.e. there is no 3D action that needs 30 FPS for example) - this is strategic wargame played on map where turns last hours to make - so such simulations can almost always work on old hardware just fine!

Leo "Apollo11"

Thank you very much for your comments. Your response to my concerns was actually helpful--something one rarely finds in Internet forums.

Good gaming to you!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 40
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/17/2011 3:40:55 AM   
unikey

Sorry but I'd like demo's as well, ibought wite and am disappointed with the game after 1942, 50 mile deep defenses across the whole front! and a few others, In some ways its not as polished as second front (for those old enough to remember it) and if I'd known what it was like i'd have saved my money until they had fixed it.

All not having a demo available for panzer corps does is encourage me to look for it on torrent sites (resisted so far but I'm sure it will be on one of them)

If I was relyinhg on the forums I'd conclude that not one matrix game released has been balanced and out of beta when it went on sale and most never were finished. Forums are an unreliable guide at best same with reviews

(in reply to Antonin)
Post #: 41
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/17/2011 4:54:16 AM   
Panama

quote:

In your opinion. You forgot to say that. In your opinion.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 42
RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo - 8/17/2011 4:19:54 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

In your opinion. You forgot to say that. In your opinion.

Well, it was implied

Now while I disagree with Ara on this particular statement, I certainly agree with his conclusions and for a very simple reason: I have the game and I love it. So I don't want the devs even to spend the time it takes to note the demo request and reject it because I want 110% of their time dedicated to enhancements and database tools. Selfish of me, certainly; bad business practice, perhaps. But I want content and enhancements, not advertizing gimmicks or chrome.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Please Gary/Matrix - a demo Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI