Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Clarification on upgrading ships.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Clarification on upgrading ships. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 3:12:00 PM   
Larsenex

So I research Torrent drive and say Hyperfusion reactor. I then redesign a new ship and add these two components. If I continue down those lines and have 'improvements to hyperfusion reactor' do I still have to open up the design editor? When I do it shows as the latest component and does not seem like I need to do an upgrade. Do these improvements occur automatically to all my ships and bases right after I research them or do I still need to open the designer and leave it alone but assign a new designation? Help on this would be great.

Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Post #: 1
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 3:33:00 PM   
Johnnycai

Actually wondered about this myself, would the research improvement be immediately present to all installed components...would my torps suddenly dish out more damage or increase range in the middle of an engagement once the 'improved/advanced torpedo' reasearch option be completed??

Realistically, the game should likely withhold all component stat improvements derived from reasearch gains till its either retrofitted or even repaired/refuelled.

So what is it?? I am guessing it is immediately applied as it would not be easily programmed otherwise.

"Today is a good day to die"

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 2
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 3:39:26 PM   
Bingeling

This is most easily seen with weapons.

Once an improved blaster design is research (upgrade to the already equipped piece) the firepower of the ship is instantly bumped. Or at least instant enough to disregard any time delay. No need to visit the design, a shipyard, or to issue a retrofit order.

I wonder how this actually happens, suddenly the blasters realize they are more efficient...

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 3
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 4:13:17 PM   
Data

Indeed, improvements occur automatically...as to how it happens we're left to RP, many explanations can be found.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 4
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 4:17:53 PM   
Larsenex

So just to be clear. If I am researching Reactors, Hyperspace Pathslcing, Torpedoes, Command Centers, Medical centers, Beams and they are all on a previous path..I DO NOT HAVE to REDESIGN they are in fact automatically improved at time of completion.

Is this correct?

Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 5
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 4:19:17 PM   
Data

Yap, I've tested on several of them when the expansion came to check this. If some of them do not behave in this way, it could be a bug but afaik they all behave in this way.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 6
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 5:45:17 PM   
Larsenex

This is actually a very optimized path if you so choose after tech lvl 5. I can continue to imporve into techs 6 & 7 down the same shields/torps/engines/reactors and not worry about doing an entire new design.

Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 6:26:44 PM   
Bingeling

The research tree should be quite clear on which item it applies to.

Medical facility has only one item which is improved.

Hyper drives have 6 different types if I remember correct (1 starter, 3 in the middle, 1 end item, one racial item). Of course, researching the last maxos blaster upgrade does no good if you don't have any equipped after upgrading to for instance shatterforce.

For instance, long range scanners change item type during upgrades and has to be retrofitted (in a new design).

< Message edited by Bingeling -- 4/15/2011 6:27:26 PM >

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 8
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 6:30:35 PM   
Larsenex

Yes, the Long Range scanner is a great example as is the Terminator auto cannon. I can upgrade the Point defense end line but if I research autocannons I will need to do a new design as it has a 'new' name.

Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 7:36:42 PM   
Litjan

I guess this reflects on the way that new lines of technology are less efficient at first, but hold a much better prospect in the future. Think of harddisk drives. We went through a long line of conventional HDD improvements, suddently the SDD comes along. While not really viable at first (too small, too expensive) it is actually now surpassing conventional HDD´s and in a few years my guess is that the old HDD´s will have gone the way of the floppy disk...

(in reply to Larsenex)
Post #: 10
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 7:42:57 PM   
Data

good point there Litjan....in the end gameplay and RPing don't always go hand in hand. Sometimes you'd like to see easier gameplay at the expense of RPing, sometimes it's the other way around.
Still, I guess this can be improved (as always  ) to allow easier upgrading

(in reply to Litjan)
Post #: 11
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 7:52:31 PM   
Noble713

quote:

I wonder how this actually happens, suddenly the blasters realize they are more efficient...

1. Firmware updates.
2. Upgraded parts phased in with regular supply/maintenance deliveries (which aren't represented beyond $ cost).
3. Some mechanic or engineer found that you could squeeze more performance out of the existing hardware, like cranking up the boost on a turbocharged engine.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 12
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 9:04:37 PM   
Lrfss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noble713

quote:

1. Firmware updates.
2. Upgraded parts phased in with regular supply/maintenance deliveries (which aren't represented beyond $ cost).
3. Some mechanic or engineer found that you could squeeze more performance out of the existing hardware, like cranking up the boost on a turbocharged engine.

This is how I viewed it as well and to me makes good sense btw...

(in reply to Noble713)
Post #: 13
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 9:14:57 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Noble713
quote:

1. Firmware updates.

Something like that must go on, but parts would certainly have to be shifted. You can only do so much with software updates...

Maybe the ships are equipped with matter compilers? Insert blueprints and some atoms, and out comes the part? Other parts of tech gives me the impression that they don't quite have that, though. I guess a machine shop could be manage to modify some parts too...

Anyways, it does not matter. It would be annoying with brief port visits to update equipment, and crazy annoying to have to do even more design updates for v2 parts (if doing manual).

(in reply to Noble713)
Post #: 14
RE: Clarification on upgrading ships. - 4/15/2011 9:19:59 PM   
Data

matter compilers? For every Geordi outhere there is a user friendly replicator at hand

< Message edited by Data -- 4/15/2011 9:20:13 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Clarification on upgrading ships. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI