Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The 1609.344 km War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The 1609.344 km War Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 8:34:26 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Since you're likely to prevail in this struggle, let me just say that I look forward to gutting you like a fish in our next match-sir.

Welcome aboard, Quint

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 91
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 10:28:56 PM   
desicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Another suggestion: Make him divide his forces between naval attack and port attack. Have one of the damaged BBs in port in a TF, the other disbanded in port. The port attack will ignore the TF and vice versa. Unless he splits his attack force in advance, he will ignore one or the other, thereby mitigating your risk that he gets 'em both.

Since you're likely to prevail in this struggle, let me just say that I look forward to gutting you like a fish in our next match-sir.

He will also have Musashi. If I were him I would send in a bombardment group the night before the port attack. I will probably leave a group of DD's backed up by second cruiser taffy at sea in the Dutch Harbor hex to deal with that threat.

I see you have foreseen/planned your own demise...it must be hard serving as Cassandra and MacBeth at the same time.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 92
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 10:45:50 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

Oooh... trash talk!!

Post #: 93
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 11:01:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Another suggestion: Make him divide his forces between naval attack and port attack. Have one of the damaged BBs in port in a TF, the other disbanded in port. The port attack will ignore the TF and vice versa. Unless he splits his attack force in advance, he will ignore one or the other, thereby mitigating your risk that he gets 'em both.

He will also have Musashi. If I were him I would send in a bombardment group the night before the port attack. I will probably leave a group of DD's backed up by second cruiser taffy at sea in the Dutch Harbor hex to deal with that threat.

If you think you're likely to be the recipient of a bombardment TF, why not vacate the premise and head one hex East of Dutch Harbor? Let him bombard nothingness (or at least nothingness in port). Or, if you prefer a more formal Sun Tzu phraseology, "Let your opponent strike emptiness with fullness." I'll even put it in italics to emphasize it's cooleology.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 4/27/2011 7:45:53 PM >

Post #: 94
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 11:02:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

Does that make you the Richard Dreyfus character?

Post #: 95
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 11:04:58 PM   
moore4807

I MUCH prefer the police chief... although the line " I think were gonna need a bigger boat" could be applied here!

< Message edited by moore4807 -- 4/14/2011 11:05:31 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 96
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 11:07:18 PM   
Chickenboy

Well, they don't get much bigger than Mushashi. The Cap'n will be seeing that one pretty soon, from what he says...

(in reply to moore4807)
Post #: 97
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/14/2011 11:20:55 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

"Take him for ballast, Chiefie."

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 98
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 12:19:17 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

No, it obviously makes Mandrake the Shark... he died, but not before he did in Quint.

By this logic, Mandrake will take the next round, and be defeated in the finals.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 99
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 12:30:18 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

No, it obviously makes Mandrake the Shark... he died, but not before he did in Quint.

By this logic, Mandrake will take the next round, and be defeated in the finals.

Dude. "The shark" in this case is the one in the picture. Or what's left of it. Quint is looking through the dried up mouthpiece of the eviscerated shark whilest sneering at 'ya-what I intend to do with the Cap'n.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 100
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 12:57:20 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

Dude. "The shark" in this case is the one in the picture. Or what's left of it. Quint is looking through the dried up mouthpiece of the eviscerated shark whilest sneering at 'ya-what I intend to do with the Cap'n.

No, this scene is just presaging what is going to happen... cinematic license, you know... Cap is THE Shark, not a shark...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 101
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 1:09:46 AM   
desicat

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Welcome aboard, Quint

"All this has happened before. All this will happen again." Maybe Cap isn't Cassandra, maybe he is Pythia.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 102
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 2:29:58 AM   
Mynok

I wonder how many other students of Greek mythology exist in the wargaming halls.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 103
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 3:47:22 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: desicat
"All this has happened before. All this will happen again." Maybe Cap isn't Cassandra, maybe he is Pythia.

My Greek mythology ain't what it used to be. Which one of them got gutted like a fish? Cap'n is most like that one.

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 104
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 8:00:54 AM   
Alfred

Cassandra was the Trojan princess who foretold the future and whose warnings were disregarded.

Alfred

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 105
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 3:54:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I fancy myself more of the "face that launched a thousand ships" type.

If I make it to the Marianas scenario it will be true.

One time I got this message on my car window. It read, "People think I am leaving this beause I hit your car. Really, I just want to meet you. Anon."

Well, I wasn't married yet so I called the number. Turns out it was a guy. Winning the Future (WTF).

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/15/2011 3:55:04 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 4:00:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Turns out there are F6F's available so I started the F4F's to convert. I moved two squadrons of P-40's back to Dutch to convert to P-38's. There are now 4 squadrons of RCAF Kittyhawk III's too.

Dutch Harbor is going to be a fighter Hell for the pilots of the IJN.

First ground attack on Attu today. Pt differential now 57 pts favorable in this game, or about 417 overall.

Post #: 107
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 4:33:48 PM   
Mynok

quote:

One time I got this message on my car window. It read, "People think I am leaving this beause I hit your car. Really, I just want to meet you. Anon."

Well, I wasn't married yet so I called the number. Turns out it was a guy. Winning the Future (WTF).

This is one of the risks of living in California.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 108
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 4:39:06 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

Yeah. When my dad moved from LA to San Fran 25 years ago, he preceeded the family by a couple months. So he got a small apartment in the city whilest the rest of the family wrapped up their affairs in So Cal. He brought some essentials to the apartment, but needed help getting the mattress in. He asked one of his neighbors for a hand carrying the mattress in. The neighbor obliged very enthusiastically. Apparently the neighbor was crestfallen when no further rewards beyond 'thanks' were proferred.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 109
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 6:26:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Crap! You mean this happens all the time in California? All this time I thought it was my "buttocks of steel" that attracted him. I thought it was nice to have another option if this heterosexualtiy thing doesnt work out and now I find out it was my California drivers license.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 110
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 6:44:44 PM   
Mynok

There are different risks in North Carolina that you would not really deal with in California.

Post #: 111
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 8:05:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

There are different risks in North Carolina that you would not really deal with in California.

"Boy, you shur got a purty mouth."

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 112
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 8:06:58 PM   
desicat

quote:

quote:

Risks?!? Cap'n seems to be describing it as a perk......

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 113
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 8:16:52 PM   
Chickenboy

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

(in reply to desicat)
Post #: 114
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/15/2011 8:17:07 PM   
desicat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Cassandra was the Trojan princess who foretold the future and whose warnings were disregarded.

Alfred

Alfred it was a bit worse than the way you describe it, Cassandra was cursed to foresee the future and to always not be believed. A really horrible fate considering she knew of the curse and the impending doom that she was seeing for all her friends, family, and city.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 115
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/16/2011 4:40:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Cassandra could have made a fortune in drachmas shorting Trojan stocks. Not to mention Achilles was a 10:1 favorite at Caesar's Palace. I have no sympathy for people who can see the future and then wallow around complaining what a burden it is.

Cassandra: <turns to player to her left> You know, you should really double down with that.

Second player: It's a goddamned hard 19. Why would I double down on that?

Cassandra: Because I can see the future. Some snakes licked my ears.

Second player: Wow, lady, you might want to slow down on the hemlock mojitos. <waves off dealer. The dealer turns up a 2 for the next player>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 4/16/2011 4:46:32 PM >

Post #: 116
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/16/2011 4:46:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

About 8 days before the Jap carriers are likely to be in strike range of Dutch, perhaps 7 at the extreme. About 8-9 days before Musashi can bombard Dutch. Two new Jap CA's should be able to reach Dutch in about 5 days.

A second attack at Kiska fell just short of 1:1 again. I have a Mountain Regt at Dutch but I am not going to send them because the transports cant get back in time. I am going to try to get the damaged CL back from Adak. I gave up converting any more P-40's to P-38's because of the time it takes to uncrate the P-38's. Most of the F6F's should be ready.

Post #: 117
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/16/2011 5:16:37 PM   
Chickenboy

[insert eerie, faintly mystical music in background. A mystic with wild hair and beady eyes peers into a crystal ball]

"I can see the future....it is three years from now....Captain Mandrake will still be playing his one thousand mile tournament bracket game..."

Post #: 118
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/16/2011 5:33:01 PM   
modrow

quote:

Cassandra: Because I can see the future. Some snakes licked my ears.

Hmm, pretty sure the snake thing happened to Laocoon and his sons. Who, as I should add in order to increase general interest in Greek mythology, according to some sources brought this down on him by an act of love-making in a rather inappropriate place rather than his warning against the horse.

Hartwig

Post #: 119
RE: The 1609.344 km War - 4/16/2011 5:36:50 PM   
desicat

quote:

[insert eerie, faintly mystical music in background. A mystic with wild hair and beady eyes peers into a crystal ball]

"I can see the future....it is three years from now....Captain Mandrake will still be playing his one thousand mile tournament bracket game..."

While this may be true....Cap'n won't believe you!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The 1609.344 km War Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI