Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/16/2011 4:17:35 PM   
r williams

I've been tinkering with existing scenarios for my own use for some time but have now started to put together a scenario from scratch in the Scenario Editor. Drawing the map has gone fine and I've been able to start pulling together the OOB including using a tailored .eqp file. I'm now trying to enter deployment mode but get an error dialogue box saying 'Can't Deploy' with the following below the title: 'The Order of Battle is not fully defined'.

I can't see any obvious problem, or something that I've missed with the OOB: does anyone have any thoughts?

Also is there a simple guide to writing event strings? That will be the next big job once I've got the starting OOB sorted.

Thanks,

Willyums
Post #: 1
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/16/2011 5:11:47 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

'The Order of Battle is not fully defined'

Have you added at least one unit to both forces ?

quote:

is there a simple guide to writing event strings?

There is nothing simple about writing events, lol. Its pretty much 'put something together and see how it works'. For any specific issues, usually there is somebody here that can help. Good luck !

(in reply to r williams)
Post #: 2
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/16/2011 9:10:54 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: willyums

I've been tinkering with existing scenarios for my own use for some time but have now started to put together a scenario from scratch in the Scenario Editor. Drawing the map has gone fine and I've been able to start pulling together the OOB including using a tailored .eqp file. I'm now trying to enter deployment mode but get an error dialogue box saying 'Can't Deploy' with the following below the title: 'The Order of Battle is not fully defined'.

I can't see any obvious problem, or something that I've missed with the OOB: does anyone have any thoughts?

As sPzAbt says. At least one unit is not assigned to a formation.

quote:

Also is there a simple guide to writing event strings? That will be the next big job once I've got the starting OOB sorted.

Thanks,

Willyums

As sPzAbt says and...

I attached the "EvilEd" article. This is a very good read about the editor and goes into the details that are not so clearly expressed in the manual. It also comes with some templates/examples. The article has been compiled years ago by TOAW scenario designers. You can find the original version here: http://sites.google.com/site/toawredux/Home/toaw-articles/TheEvilEdbyCurtChambers.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1. The attachment however is more up to date as the original was written for TOAW CoW.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to r williams)
Post #: 3
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/16/2011 10:12:03 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

There is nothing simple about writing events, lol.

There's an understatement. A fine evening of event-writing usually sees me resorting to a test scenario at least once.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 4
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 2:52:40 AM   
Panama

Several beers held in reserve help ease the pain when done with an editing session.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 5
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 3:34:41 AM   
sPzAbt653

I prefer to drink while I'm scripting the events. That way there is an easy excuse for the repeated failures.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 6
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 4:14:12 AM   
1_Lzard

All I can say is 'Good Luck, Fella!'

(trust me, the beers won't hurt!)

"I have the brain of a Genius, and the heart of a Little Child. I keep them in a jar under my bed!"

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 7
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 6:20:19 PM   
r williams

Thanks for the suggestions on this - having lurked on the forum for a while, it was more in hope than expectation that there might be a magic wand for the Events Engine - Beer it is!

On the Deployment issue, none of the issues above seem to be the problem - on closer inspection it looks like the OOB is corrupted - 3 units show in the Order of Battle drop down from the View tab but don't appear in the Forces editor to be assigned equipment or to a formation. Anyone know whether this is recoverable? I'm up to around 1500 units across the two sides so hopefully I won't have to rebuild from scratch!

Thanks,

Willyums

(in reply to 1_Lzard)
Post #: 8
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 6:26:07 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

I prefer to drink while I'm scripting the events. That way there is an easy excuse for the repeated failures.

Now I'm just the reverse. I'll drink while I'm editing something else. Drink while I play.

But that editor? Just the other night, I was straightening out some massive logical furball -- said I'd better defer until I can go back to the map.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 9
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/17/2011 6:33:51 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

Thanks for the suggestions on this - having lurked on the forum for a while, it was more in hope than expectation that there might be a magic wand for the Events Engine - Beer it is!

On the Deployment issue, none of the issues above seem to be the problem - on closer inspection it looks like the OOB is corrupted - 3 units show in the Order of Battle drop down from the View tab but don't appear in the Forces editor to be assigned equipment or to a formation. Anyone know whether this is recoverable? I'm up to around 1500 units across the two sides so hopefully I won't have to rebuild from scratch!

Thanks,

Willyums

I've straightened things like this out. First step: delete the units, and see if your problem goes away. Then recreate them -- one at a time -- and see if it comes back.

Usually it's something embarassingly simple. Have you checked to see if you're duplicating any unit names? I'm working on a beast now -- when the unit list got too long I started searching the scenario dump to make sure any new name wasn't already in use.

Also, units doing things they legally can't do. Air units on a hex that no longer has an airfield might excite the program, for example. I was sweating blood over one of my 'mobile airfields' that was causing problems. I finally realized it had the wrong unit type symbol. Instead of being 'RR artillery' edited to look like the tactical symbol for 'air,' it really was air. The program was willing to let me have a modified aircraft carrier in a rail unit -- but not in an 'air' unit.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to r williams)
Post #: 10
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/21/2011 8:06:52 PM   
r williams

With some playing around I've managed to fix the problem so thought it might be useful to share the solution.

What appears to have happened is that the OOB had become corrupted (or it may just have been something odd with cut and paste!) with some units from Force 2 being duplicated/ghosted as units in Force 1. These only appeared to be visible in the OOB view rather than in the Force Editor. I used the Scenario viewer to work out which unit slots the ghosted units were saved in and then put additional units into Force 1 so as to eventually get down to the ghosted units when they then became visible and could be deleted.

All rather odd...

Post #: 11
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/21/2011 8:44:16 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

With some playing around I've managed to fix the problem so thought it might be useful to share the solution.

What appears to have happened is that the OOB had become corrupted (or it may just have been something odd with cut and paste!) with some units from Force 2 being duplicated/ghosted as units in Force 1. These only appeared to be visible in the OOB view rather than in the Force Editor. I used the Scenario viewer to work out which unit slots the ghosted units were saved in and then put additional units into Force 1 so as to eventually get down to the ghosted units when they then became visible and could be deleted.

All rather odd...

Useful information. I may have had/have something similar running around my scenario. I think I slew it with a less methodical approach -- but it may resurrect itself. If so, I'll try this.

Latest crash (and this isn't exactly a bug so much as a change from previous versions).

I put a road into a major river hex so as to permit a unit to be deployed there, then removed the road. Bingo...crash as soon as I go to formation view.

You used to be able to do this. I suppose as soon as I go back to Seelowe, I'll have to do something about my 'seafort' off the mouth of the Humber.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 4/21/2011 8:47:07 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to r williams)
Post #: 12
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/21/2011 8:49:40 PM   
ColinWright

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 4/21/2011 8:51:01 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 13
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/22/2011 1:53:04 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

(or it may just have been something odd with cut and paste!)

Do you think that was something done in xml, or in the editor ?

quote:

I put a road into a major river hex so as to permit a unit to be deployed there, then removed the road. Bingo...crash as soon as I go to formation view.

But remove the river, place the unit, then put the river back, and it should be ok ?

(in reply to r williams)
Post #: 14
RE: 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor - 4/22/2011 7:55:36 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

But remove the river, place the unit, then put the river back, and it should be ok ?

It's worth trying...let you know the outcome when I do.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> 'Can't Deploy' message in Scenario Editor Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI