Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Any problems with 64bit Windows 7?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 1:48:04 AM   
JohnDillworth

Time for a laptop upgrade. Will there be any problems running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium?
thanks

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Post #: 1
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 1:56:05 AM   
USSAmerica

It seems that everyone who has tried as been successful running AE on 64-bit OS's.  I know there are issues with getting the right version of Java working properly to get Tracker to run, but that's the only problem I have heard of, and not directly part of AE. 

One tip I've read over and over is not to install any applications under Program Files.  It seems that Windows wants to hog access to programs installed there, and it is usually the default location.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 2
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 4:01:28 AM   
madgamer2

YES YOU WILL ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS BUT NOT USING THE X86 FOLDER WILL SOLVE A LOT OF THEM. You might consider disabling the UAR or what ever that program is that asks if you want to do every action. for games just C:/games/Matrix or whatever company it is works fine.
I have had a variety of program problems like Oblivion steam not able to use my external sound card. Overall i advise waiting as long as possible or have tweo sustems with Xp or Vista on one and win 7 on the other.

Madgamer 2

If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem

Post #: 3
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 5:38:26 AM   
Alfred

AE runs quite smoothly on my Win7 64 bit laptop. Just make certain you install to the default Matrixgames folder.

Alfred

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 4
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 7:21:19 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Time for a laptop upgrade. Will there be any problems running on 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium?
thanks

Windows 7 Ultimate runs very smoothly on my MacBook Pro. (I have a dual-boot set up.) You need to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java and you need to point Tracker and similar programs to the correct version of Java in their batch files.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 5
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 1:44:06 PM   
JohnDillworth

I'm sure it would run with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. I'm mostly concerned with Windows 7 Home Premier as it does not have the Windows XP virtualization. Prefessional cost $130 bucks more than Home. I'd rather spend that $130 bucks on and bump up to a NVidia 2m graphics card
thanks

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 6
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 4:44:18 PM   
DaveConn

I run it on Win64 Home Premium without any issues. I have it installed to the default Matrixgames folder, and haven't had any problems.

Post #: 7
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 5:17:10 PM   
herwin

quote:

I'm sure it would run with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. I'm mostly concerned with Windows 7 Home Premier as it does not have the Windows XP virtualization. Prefessional cost $130 bucks more than Home. I'd rather spend that $130 bucks on and bump up to a NVidia 2m graphics card
thanks

I don't use virtualisation to run WitP-AE.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 8
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 5:17:39 PM   
cookie monster

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveConn

I run it on Win64 Home Premium without any issues. I have it installed to the default Matrixgames folder, and haven't had any problems.

Same as above. No problems what so ever.

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 9
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/5/2011 6:21:59 PM   
JohnDillworth

thanks all

(in reply to cookie monster)
Post #: 10
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/6/2011 11:56:57 AM   
Banzan

quote:

thanks

Although many people thinking of it, the Windows 7 Prof. and Ultimate Windows XP virtualization isn't desgined to be used for games, and most games won't run on it.

< Message edited by Banzan -- 5/6/2011 11:58:45 AM >

Post #: 11
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/6/2011 3:24:37 PM   
Reedster

I think this is the right thread...

Just upgraded my lappy to an Alienware M11x R3, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Nvidia Geforce GT 540M with 2GB RAM. Previously was playing v 1106i with my Vista and XP machines with absolutely no problem.

With the new comp however, during bombing attacks the screen/game just freezes. The music/sound continues but there is absolutely none of the usual bombing animation, whether it's air-land or air-naval attacks. I tried several times with the same result. Right-clicked the WitpAE icon and tried to pick XP and Vista compatibility but even that didn't work. For a lark, I tried to play the old Witp (non-AE) and exactly the same issue crops on (freezing during bombing attacks). Screen resolution is default 1366 by 768 and I tried changing to 1024/768 but that didn't help at all.

The fact that I'm facing the same bug in BOTH AE and Witp probably means that it's probably a configuration issue with my computer rather than the games?

Hope someone will be able to shed some light on my problem... Witp/AE deprivation ain't funny. Thanks!!

< Message edited by Reedster -- 5/6/2011 3:44:12 PM >

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 12
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/6/2011 6:22:34 PM   
witpqs

I am running XP, but I have seen comments on running AE on Windows 7.

Do not install the game in the default folder (c:\programs\...), because certain access control is applied there that messes up the game. Instead use something like c:\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\

Experiment with adding the switch -noFire to your shortcut. I need this with XP to prevent the screen from splitting and jumping around. No idea if it is the same as what causes the freezing you see.

I have not heard of any incompatibility at all with Windows 7, so I suspect it is some configuration or hardware (graphics driver, etc.) issue.

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 13
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/6/2011 6:30:39 PM   
dorjun driver

Reedster,

What chipset was in your old box? You may have to jimmy around with command line switches to get things running smoothly.

Dorj

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 14
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 4:36:42 AM   
Reedster

When I turn combat animations off the game works fine, so looks like graphics (using Nvidia Geforce GT 540M) compatibility issue. Any suggestions how/where I should go to try and fix this? Am rather terrible at this kind of thing so please bear with me

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 15
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 6:14:52 AM   
witpqs

The first thing to do is go to their web site and see if they have a) newer drivers and/or b) newer firmware.

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 16
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 7:50:00 AM   
Reedster

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The first thing to do is go to their web site and see if they have a) newer drivers and/or b) newer firmware.

yep. my graphic card drivers are updated to the latest version.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 17
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 8:49:52 AM   
BJStone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reedster

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

yep. my graphic card drivers are updated to the latest version.

Did you try the -dd_sw switch for direct draw?

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 18
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 10:44:57 AM   
Reedster

quote:

ORIGINAL: BJStone

I finally managed to get the combat animations to work by disabling my Nvidia card and just going with integrated graphics... I'd like to try your suggestion though.

Problem is, I haven't a clue how to modify (is that even the right word lol) direct draw. Where do I go to configure this?

(in reply to BJStone)
Post #: 19
RE: Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? - 5/7/2011 3:12:31 PM   
BJStone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reedster

quote:

ORIGINAL: BJStone

I finally managed to get the combat animations to work by disabling my Nvidia card and just going with integrated graphics... I'd like to try your suggestion though.

Problem is, I haven't a clue how to modify (is that even the right word lol) direct draw. Where do I go to configure this?

Hi Reedster,

On your desktop you should have a shortcut that you click to get into WiTP AE - yes? If you right-click the shortcut icon you should see a drop-down list and at the bottom of the list is the option for Properties... Go ahead and select Properties.

In the Target Box you add switches to the War in the Pacific Edition.exe program that modifes how the game runs. As an example below the -w tells the game to run in windows mode and the -px1152 & -py864 define the size of the window.

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -px1152 -py864 -skipVideo -dd_sw -archive

In your War in the Pacific folder you should be able to find a "What's New" PDF file that discribes all of the switches available for you to customize how WiTP runs on your computer. I think the -dd_sw switch might take care of the problem you are experiencing.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Reedster)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Any problems with 64bit Windows 7? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI