Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 4/30/2011 4:44:36 AM   
Mobius

The main thing is to have fun. You can play the game and have fun. You can play the campaigns and have fun. You can make scenarios and have fun. You can make your own realistic maps and have fun.

The open system allows you to make your own models of structures, guns and tanks and put them in the game. That is a lot of fun too.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 91
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 4/30/2011 6:11:07 AM   
Mad Russian

I personally can't imagine than any other game ever got the kind of attention that PCO was given. Whether it was a paid effort or not.

I, for one, am proud of how PCO has turned out, especially as a free update.

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 4/30/2011 7:42:08 AM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 92
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 4/30/2011 6:12:36 AM   
diablo1

quote:

The open system allows you to make your own models of structures, guns and tanks and put them in the game. That is a lot of fun too.

Not to me it isn't that's boring as hell on a Sunday Morning. I guess some gamers (if you can call them gamers) like to play with their tinker toys. I prefer to play a game not redesign it.

X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 93
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/1/2011 1:58:26 AM   
HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

quote:

Not to me it isn't that's boring as hell on a Sunday Morning. I guess some gamers (if you can call them gamers) like to play with their tinker toys. I prefer to play a game not redesign it.

Sounds like you need to be playing an XBox or something.

One of the greatest advantages to many PC games is the ease of modification, and the fun involved w/that. And yes, it is fun I think.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 94
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/1/2011 5:46:35 PM   
Yoozernamemember

I don't quite understand the comments by Stridor.

I have already bought into the 'system' as far as Panzer command.  Twice.  There would be no way I would not try the upgrade and all the scenarios and campaigns, etc.  As a CMx1 fan, that does not play CMx1 anymore, it will fill a void.

I recently downloaded the demo for shockforce/marines/etc.  I don't see it as a defined system.  The RT/WEGO 'systems' show a lack of product definition.  I would never play this 'Shockforce' product over what I have seen so far in the mOBIUS videos.  i would never buy the modern CMx2 products.

I am most interested in seeing if a game can utilize relative spotting to increase game enjoyment.  I look forward to playing PCO and trying the demo for CMBN.  The comparison will interesting and I do not see how anyone can really judge at this point un less they are on the PCO development team AND somehow on the CMBN development team.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 95
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 2:30:49 AM   
Yoozernamemember

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Don't think CM2 wasn't built on the bcks of volunteers.  There are a lot of testers building scenarios, doing alpha testing, fixing QBs, building textures, etc. for free.

And there are plenty of people unemployed at the present time. So, there are ample volunteers.

As a person that was once accused by the '1:1 guy' as being 'on the dole' because I was unemployed in the early 90s and '00s, I find it exceptionally satisfying that they might be leaning on this 'dole-pool' now. They wouldn't expect people that should be looking for work to play thier beta projects I hope????

Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk

< Message edited by Yoozernamemember -- 5/2/2011 2:43:03 AM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 96
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 11:31:23 AM   
thewood1

They have been working on it since well before the economic meltdown.  Most of the people I know working on it are "gainfully" employed.

All my point was about was that BFC leans on "volunteers" very heavily.  To the point that I don't think they coule produce the game without them.

(in reply to Yoozernamemember)
Post #: 97
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 12:48:50 PM   
Mobius

quote:

ORIGINAL: HintJ
Sounds like you need to be playing an XBox or something.
One of the greatest advantages to many PC games is the ease of modification, and the fun involved w/that. And yes, it is fun I think.
The ability to make game mods and share them with a community is one of the advantages the PC still has over the xboxes and Ithings.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 98
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 5:46:10 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

They have been working on it since well before the economic meltdown.  Most of the people I know working on it are "gainfully" employed.

All my point was about was that BFC leans on "volunteers" very heavily.  To the point that I don't think they coule produce the game without them.

Volunteers are indeed used for testing, map making, scenario design and creation. Coding, graphic arts for the game etc. are all down by BF and its paid employees. That is a big difference in my book with respect to what Stridor had stated...that being even coders were not paid employees of Matrix. Or is he wrong?

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 99
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 6:51:10 PM   
thewood1

The base game was coded by paid programmers.  I think any changes since PCK were volunteers.

I am not saying volunteers did any programming.  But some of the graphics from the community have found their way into released games in CM. 

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 100
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 7:24:41 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

The base game was coded by paid programmers.  I think any changes since PCK were volunteers.

I am not saying volunteers did any programming.  But some of the graphics from the community have found their way into released games in CM. 

Fair enough. I agree with your clarification. Still, that means IMHO there is a big difference when it comes to organized planning and development with respect to these two games. I intend on purchasing PCO as a first time user. I passed on first two games. I think what the volunteers have done here is tremendous and my hat is tipped in respect to them. I also think there is really no point anymore in comparing them as others have done, completely different approaches, planning, and completely different resources put into the games.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 101
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 8:34:13 PM   
thewood1

I think you can compare them, and should.  Its not like comparing CC an TAOW, or ArmA and CM.  They cover the exact same scale, to some extent.  They will most likley cover the same battles.  How can you not compare them?

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 102
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/2/2011 9:11:33 PM   
Ratzki

I think that comparing the two gives the 'powers that be' a chance to hear what players want and not want in any upcomming updates and new games. It also provides a good critical look at what needs fixing and what we can all live with. Chances are, I bet most of us will end up playing both games.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 103
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 7:11:32 AM   
sburke1959

well having played the CMBN demo instead of just making an assessment (proof?) from a video clip, the game rocks. Between it and the games I have picked up over here, it is a great time to be a gamer. As Frank Zappa said - if you don't think it is F**kin great to be alive then leave now or this show will really bring you down.

(in reply to genMaczek)
Post #: 104
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 9:04:24 AM   
petrus58

quote:

ORIGINAL: sburke1959

well having played the CMBN demo instead of just making an assessment (proof?) from a video clip, the game rocks. Between it and the games I have picked up over here, it is a great time to be a gamer. As Frank Zappa said - if you don't think it is F**kin great to be alive then leave now or this show will really bring you down.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Having beta tested PCO I knew that it was a great game - one that I am sure I will be playing for years to come. But I also - based on the demo - like what I've seen of CMBN, and likewise expect to be playing that for a while as well. Obviously there are differences between both, but this is something I regard as positive. Neither game is 'perfect', both will be improved and enhanced by their respective communities. So yeah, Frank Zappa was right!

(in reply to sburke1959)
Post #: 105
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 4:35:35 PM   
Mad Russian

I think both companies put a lot of time and effort into these two games. I think that shows and it means that tactical gamers are in a "Win-Win" situation for the first time in awhile.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to petrus58)
Post #: 106
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 4:41:41 PM   
junk2drive

Both companies will keep improving the games too.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 107
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 5:18:17 PM   
JudgeDredd

I can't watch any videos of Combat Mission Normandy. Not because of the game, but EVERY ONE I've seen, the player has NO IDEA how to make a video - they are ALL over the place with the camera. It's really not a good advertisement for the game...the video makers makes it look frantic - and it really doesn't have to be!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 108
RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. - 5/14/2011 5:21:08 PM   
junk2drive

I like the Bil H video AAR. One frame at a time

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 109
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Proof why 1to1 representation is not a good idea. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI