Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 3:44:41 PM   
cpt flam

he will have possibility with snow to attack West Front (seems a bit light) as defense

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 901
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 3:46:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And look what was done in the south. Too late, I suspect I am pretty certain the forces in the west are routed or very weak. He should bring reserves to this area. Next turn snow, so...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/14/2011 4:10:05 PM >

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 902
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 3:53:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Anyway, here are the Southern Front attacks.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 903
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 4:00:35 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

About how many Soviet attacks per blizzard turn were you able to make and how many failed? I was running 35 to 40 per turn with one third of them failing. There was a substantial increase in armament points after I did my testing, so I would expect numbers to be higher, just not sure by how much.

Retreats this turn = 51
Helds = 21

Total attacks: 72

On december, I managed to make much less retreats. That month I too learned to not attack against the odds (2ndACR was heavily entrenched in the north and center) But january and february, more or less what you see (the numbers above) if I am not mistaken. But don't forget the south was full of nice opportunities I could exploit.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 904
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 4:02:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

he will have possibility with snow to attack West Front (seems a bit light) as defense

Yes, you are correct. From now on I will need to be in defensive mode

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 905
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 4:41:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Alright, done. Here are are the Front-lines on Turn 24 and now (Turn 37, end of blizzard).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 906
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 4:59:55 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Overall, what can I add?

My objectives were:

a) secure Leningrad
b) secure Moscow
c) strike in the south, basically in Stalino area.

As for a), 2ndACR was way too strong up north so I could not push him that much in this area. Or I am simply incompetent, I will not rule this out! Still, I am happy and rather confident.

As for b) you might remember that 2ndACR was "collaborating". Yes, I pushed him, but he also did a strategic withdrawal on this area, the closest to Moscow (near Tula and Kaluga that is). Here the objective was fully accomplished.

And as for c), near Stalino area that is, the big cities here proved to be a nice shield. And the truth is I was too weak there. I was incompetent that is. IF that was one of my objectives I should have brought more forces. I ended up doing that (when I brought the 4st Shock and 46th Armies) but I suspect I missed one month here. So MY mistake, obviously.

In the end, the most dangerous push was in the Southwestern area (well, 2ndACR might disagree, since it's in the Bryansk Front where I annihilated some nice German divisions). And of course, the reason is plainly obvious. When he decided to do that bold maneuver to grab Stalino and the other cities (turn 14 or so) he WEAKENED big time the area in the north. I did my first attack there when mud hit (two nice German divisions were bagged). And the situtation did not change during the snow and whole blizzard. He did NOT reinforce that part that much. Therefore there were lots of nice opportunities here. Which I of course exploited!

Post #: 907
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:04:28 PM   
76mm

The Germans bounce back really quickly (really immediately) after the blizzard, so be ready for some attacks next turn if you are weak somewhere (haven't reviewed your positions in detail). Nice blizzard, you're in great shape for 1942. What's your strength at now?

Post #: 908
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:16:26 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Strength? You mean this?

And yes, I am well of aware of this simple truth... I will run out of spinachs pretty soon!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 909
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:20:49 PM   
TulliusDetritus

As I have said above and one some other comments, I am aware that my defensive campaign should be tough. Soooo, let's see what are the nice defensive geographic features. I will be forming defensive lines there. AND in fact even BEHIND. Remember, I am a paranoid. Jokes aside, I will defend in depth: NO carpets, except Leningrad area and isolated cases. Successive lines. And let's see what happens

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/14/2011 5:21:38 PM >

Post #: 910
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:29:11 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Defensive features in the center...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 911
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:37:26 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Orel, Kursk, Kharkov

Attachment (1)

Post #: 912
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:44:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And defensive features in the south. I should be sending all my Infantry and Airborne brigades to these places (all the screenshots). That should be my priority

Attachment (1)

Post #: 913
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 5:47:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

In fact, if I have enough forces, there will be stong-points between these defensive lines. I will NOT take any risk.

As I see it, having these lines IS my top priority on 1942. My objective remains the same: DO SURVIVE.

Post #: 914
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 8:50:32 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, given that 2ndACR is not updating his AAR anymore (lack of time), this is what he has to say:

"Here you go. I basically survived the blizzard, but the German army is looking rough. The units that had to retreat or pull back mainly. Forts really help with the blizzard casualties"

Post #: 915
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/14/2011 10:06:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 38

5 march 1942

It's official! I ran out of spinachs!!

Oh well, you can have her, I don't mind

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/14/2011 10:07:17 PM >

Post #: 916
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:12:33 AM   
randallw

Gaining back ground in the North is tough, with all the forests and some swamps.  The Axis player gives up ground in the South because he must.

Don't forget that you can pull together the tank brigades in corps next month.  And just for forwarning, the 1942a tank corps OOB is about the size of a 1941b tank division: about 170 tanks, 6000 men. You should not use them 1 vs 1 on panzer divisions.

Post #: 917
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:23:51 AM   
Klydon

With 2ndACR not really doing an AAR, I feel free to speculate a bit more and not feel bad about giving something away that I may have read in another AAR.

I think the Germans will recover somewhat, make some local attacks here and there, but nothing major at this point I don't think. In fact, I think he is going to be shocked with the power of the Russians and after a short attempt at some sort of summer campaign, will go more into a defensive mode.

From his perspective, the terrain is rotten in north and center where he stopped at along with overpowering Russian forces. In the south, it is a different matter in terms of open terrain, but his army took a beating down there; still that is probably where his best opportunity lies in terms of trying to do any major offensive moves. The real question will be what the targets and objectives are down there.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 918
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 2:49:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I know it's too early (things may change a lot) but that's where his Panzers (the REAL deal) are. As yo can see, they are concentrated in the south.

As for 2ndACR possibilities, I only see two realistic objectives:

1) grab economically important places in the south
2) destroy the Red Army; and this can be best achieved in the south, in my opinion: tank country.

So I am expecting agressive moves in the south. But maybe 2ndACR will be surprising me

Once I will know where he will push (the Panzers, ALWAYS the Panzers, because it's the only thing which matters), that area will get a MEGA extra depth and obviously a huge concentration of forces. As I already said, I will not take any risk.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/15/2011 2:51:06 PM >

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 919
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 2:59:25 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Anyway, as for the Guards Rifle Divisions, the harvest was not complete! The last blizzard turn provided me more Guards units (the last easy ones that is). Now the grand total is 55 Guards Rifle Divisions + 3 Guards Cavalry Divisions I should put all these units to good use.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 920
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 3:04:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

Don't forget that you can pull together the tank brigades in corps next month.  And just for forwarning, the 1942a tank corps OOB is about the size of a 1941b tank division: about 170 tanks, 6000 men. You should not use them 1 vs 1 on panzer divisions.

Ah, I didn't know that. I thought I had to wait until summer or autumn. Well, humm, I guess I will create some Tank Corps. But I have a priority: each army must have one tank brigade. That's a minimum. So I will be creating some Tank Corps, yes, just like the Infantry Corps (NOT a lot). These corps should be used as a Stavka Reserve (and I am only thinking about this 1942 year) and sent to critical places. Defensive duties.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 921
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:01:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Strategic changes, dispositions in the South. My First (and only) Guards Army HQ (old 18th Army, Southern Front) is pulled back. Its units are attached to 56th Army, which is attached to Southern Front: 4 armies on this front now. The 46th Army (Stavka Reserve Army brought here to reinforce the blizzard offensive) is definitely attached to the Southern Front as well.

The 4th Shock is as well pulled back. It will stay more or less in this area, ready to support either the Southern or Southwestern Fronts. A Stavka Reserve army that is.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 922
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:05:58 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The First Guards Army has been reformed near Moscow. Initially 5 Guards Rifle Divisions + 1 Tank Brigade are attached. A Stavka Reserve Army that is. It should be used to help to stop the main enemy thrust (summer '42 offensive).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 5/15/2011 4:06:02 PM >

Post #: 923
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:17:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Another important issue. I must make room for the Volkhov Front Using tons of APs is out of question... I will move some armies, imitating an accordion movement (I already did that during the summer). The idea is that the armies located in the northern part of their front should be pulled back. One army of the neighbouring northern front should occupy that place... and then, the army which was removed should be placed in the southen part of its front. Complicated, eh? ...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 924
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:29:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

And there is another problem, caused by a bug I think I have found a workaround though

Sooooo...

Since I started the game one of my priorities was assigning minimum 3 RR Brigades to each army. Which was done. Remember: shovels are possibly the best weapon during the Blitzkrieg. Yes, these RR things helped my front-line divisions to build forts faster. Many "helds" were only possible because of them so my hat is off to them.

But then my blizzard offensive started, I recaptured many hexes... and these RR Brigades were detached from these Army HQs and started to repair the damaged captured rail hexes... But the bug thing. They will NOT come back to their Army HQ. They will go to their Front HQ

Assigning them again to the Army HQs will cost APs (and I need these brigades: 1942 IS still a defensive campaign). Lots of them: 12 per front (4 armies x 3 RR brigades).

So this is what I will be doing. The level support of the Front HQs will set to zero. They should kick everything out to Stavka. Then this HQ should be touring the front and reassign the RR Brigades to the Armies HQs. But of course, I should wait until every damaged rail hex is repaired... or they will be detached again to repair them! And the nightmare starts again

Post #: 925
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 4:31:58 PM   
Manstein63

Your position looks good TD if you are able to blunt his attacks during the summer you should be well positioned for a winter offensive & who knows maybe Berlin by Christmas 44.
Manstein63

Post #: 926
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/15/2011 5:52:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

This is how I will be more or less doing this bloody and messy "accordion move".

Manstein, Christmas '44? Where shall I sign?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 927
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/16/2011 12:01:14 AM   
randallw

What you can do is to order up some construction units for the Front HQs themselves; once they ( the HQs ) have enough they won't be stealing them from the Army HQs.

Post #: 928
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/17/2011 10:46:19 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Turn 39

12 march 1942

You guys scared me (76mm and cpt flam). I was expecting 2ndACR's terrible revenge on this snow turns... but hey, nothing happened. Soooo, I suspect the beating was really hard. Obviously my fault

In fact, to my surprise I found some ants next to my units (I was only thinking about defending, NOT attacking) and then somehow... I decided I could trash them. It worked. Some Panzer divisions were attacked and forced to retreat!

And I have taken another decision. Yes, about the "accordion movement". Last time I decided to do such massive movement (during summer) I gave up... I soon realized the idea was quite -if not totally- irrational. Because I should be moving basically ALL the Red Army, from the Lake Ilmen to the Black Sea. It does not make any sense. I will spend APs. I haven't calculated it yet, but I think each army could cover 3 or 4 hexes maximum, which is quite good. With that frontage the front-line armies could easily defend in depth (not all the rifle divisions would be next to enemy units, that is).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 929
RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR ... - 5/17/2011 10:49:58 PM   
Encircled

I've got SW Front between Western and Bryansk in my game v Kamil due to the rather unusual position I found myself in.

Rather than waste AP's, I'm going to rename Voroshilovograd "Bryansk" so it doesn't look too bad!

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Stalin's in the gulag - Tullius (Soviet) vs 2ndACR (Axis) Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI