Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 7:58:29 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedCharlie65

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ssnake51
Have to say I've been rather surprised at the poor customer support shown on the battlefront forum. And, as others have mentioned, the DRM system for CMBN really sucks.

Bullshit.

Well said. I have to agree with RedCharlie here. Their both good even though I haven't bought PCO yet, but I will. You can't go wrong. If you can afford it buy both.

Well I can afford both, but I don't like to pay twice for the same game...Second, I am not TOO crazy about this type of game (AT is more my style), and although I had all the original CM games, I did not get the last one because I don't much like modern tctical battles. I DO have the original Panzer Command, but did not play it much.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought PCO, and I will see later about CMN, the main deciding factor being the Eastern Front and the larger coverage.

Thanks to everyone, there is a lot of info for everyone on this thread for people on the fence.

BTW, although as I said I despise Battlefront's copy protection system, they HAVE been fairly understanding when I overshot the max numbers of copies due to changing computers (yes I have most games on 2 computers and I always forget when I change computers), and I have had no problems getting my games reactivated - but I hate having to send emails and begging for mercy).

henri

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 31
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 9:47:08 PM   
Mobius

Good luck henn,

Always have two computers. One real good to play games on and one good enough to call us up and post about it or for email.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 32
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 10:15:12 PM   
Ssnake51

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

quote:

quote:

Have to say I've been rather surprised at the poor customer support shown on the battlefront forum. And, as others have mentioned, the DRM system for CMBN really sucks.

Bullshit.

Well said. I have to agree with RedCharlie here. Their both good even though I haven't bought PCO yet, but I will. You can't go wrong. If you can afford it buy both.

Well I can afford both, but I don't like to pay twice for the same game...Second, I am not TOO crazy about this type of game (AT is more my style), and although I had all the original CM games, I did not get the last one because I don't much like modern tctical battles. I DO have the original Panzer Command, but did not play it much.

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought PCO, and I will see later about CMN, the main deciding factor being the Eastern Front and the larger coverage.

Thanks to everyone, there is a lot of info for everyone on this thread for people on the fence.

BTW, although as I said I despise Battlefront's copy protection system, they HAVE been fairly understanding when I overshot the max numbers of copies due to changing computers (yes I have most games on 2 computers and I always forget when I change computers), and I have had no problems getting my games reactivated - but I hate having to send emails and begging for mercy).

henri

Hope you enjoy the game. They ae both very good and I don't think one can really go wrong with either, but I have been spending more time with PCO lately. Will be happier when Battlefront finally gets around to covering the Eastern Front which is my main interest.

The DRM for CMBN is even worse than on the old CM games. At least with their old system you could deactivate the product before uninstalling. Now you don't have that ability. If you need to unistall the game or make upgrades to your computer then you automatically use up one of your activations. Thought it should be noted that not all hardware changes will cost you an activation.

I build all my computers and try out a lot of hardware so am sure I'll be having to beg them to go over my activation limit. Not good.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 33
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 10:27:56 PM   
Ssnake51

quote:

quote:

Bullshit.

Not at all.
Steve really needs to take a course in customer satisfaction. And that's all I am going to say on the matter.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 34
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/23/2011 10:51:31 PM   
sage

Both are good. I like CMBO's interface better, but I like PCO's settings and campaign system better.

(in reply to Ssnake51)
Post #: 35
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 3:05:21 AM   
Richie61

I must be odder than I thought I was, because I have never had one single issue with BF or their DRM service. I have always had 2 plus computers running their games at one time.
Course I joined BF forums officially in 2003 and I am only on post #32
Their forum is a lot different than here. 

With most games now being "digital downloads", I have no issues with DRM. The companies now have to protect their product from the folks that have no problems with putting up
a link or passing out free copies to friends. It's a sad state out their at times.

Erik and crew have the best customer service bar than.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 36
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 8:12:44 AM   
nicdain

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bullshit.

Not at all.
Steve really needs to take a course in customer satisfaction. And that's all I am going to say on the matter.

I can't speak for others, but honestly, every time I needed technical support by BF.C (a couple of times the issue was about DRM), they responded kindly and quickly, solving the problem.

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Ssnake51)
Post #: 37
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 11:39:57 AM   
z1812

I have PCO and CMBN. They are each very good in their own way.

As for good customer service both Matrix and Battlefront have provided that to me over the years.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 38
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 4:16:00 PM   
diablo1

quote:

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought PCO,

Hurray PC:O wins the pennant PC:O wins the pennant PC:O wins the pennant!

Great choice you won't be sorry. This one really is the most challenging and fun to play. CM:BN to me just doesn't even come close to what CMx1 brought us and just feels too much like one of those RTS games instead of a wargame based on its demo. Even the wego game doesn't have all the elements that made CMx1 so great.

X3:Universe of games rules them all!! Xtra coming soon X3:REBIRTH 4th qtr 2011 YAY!

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 39
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 5:15:40 PM   
Jacko

CMBN is superb and in a class of it's own. Having said that, so is PCO. Both games are very enjoyable. And comparing them is completly useless. Every wargamer should support BOTH games. 

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 40
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 5:16:43 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: diablo1

quote:

Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought PCO,

Hurray PC:O wins the pennant PC:O wins the pennant PC:O wins the pennant!

Great choice you won't be sorry. This one really is the most challenging and fun to play. CM:BN to me just doesn't even come close to what CMx1 brought us and just feels too much like one of those RTS games instead of a wargame based on its demo. Even the wego game doesn't have all the elements that made CMx1 so great.

And PCO also does not have some elements that made CMx1 great. Oh...and as far as the pennant is concerned...the season is not over yet.

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 41
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 5:34:10 PM   
Mobius

PCO does let the player see the tank armor and gun data stats. As well as the underlying terrain.

panzer

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 42
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 8:49:57 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jacko

CMBN is superb and in a class of it's own. Having said that, so is PCO. Both games are very enjoyable. And comparing them is completly useless. Every wargamer should support BOTH games. 

I agree.

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 43
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 8:51:14 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

PCO does let the player see the tank armor and gun data stats. As well as the underlying terrain.

And your point would be?

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 44
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 8:58:07 PM   
thewood1

I think he means that CMBN doesn't. 

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 45
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 9:07:20 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

Well I've always wanted BF to impliment some sort of encyclopedia of arms, armor, and equipment withe the games. I've always liked the way Rome Total War did it, you know where you "right click" on a unit icon and get all this fabulous history and data on the troops. However, I can't beleive this would be a major factor in determining whether I buy PCO or not or whether I buy CM games or not. It is a non-factor as far as I'm concerned.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 46
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 9:09:35 PM   
JMass

I tried the CMBN demo, it runs well, I like its graphics over all, UI and some other features (or the lack of some features) much less. I could buy CMBN, maybe, but not before having the opportunity to buy it patched, in bundle with one or two expansions and cheaper.

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 47
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 9:11:23 PM   
Enigma6584

Of course...most everyone is looking for that free lunch.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 48
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 9:56:38 PM   
Mobius

quote:

quote:

It is a non-factor as far as I'm concerned.
Of course.
Data is like badges in the movie The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

panzer

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 49
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 11:47:39 PM   
thewood1

I would settle for waht was in CM1.  That was pretty good.

The excuse in CMSF was that it was too secret for them to show.

In CMBN it's that we wouldn't understand it.

Not sure which it is,

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 50
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/24/2011 11:59:03 PM   
Ssnake51

quote:

Agree that both games are very good and very enjoyable. Don't see why that should make it uselss to compare them.
Nor do I see why supporting both games should prohibit a gamer from comparing them.

And there is nothing wrong with a gamer preferring one game over another even though he likes them both.

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 51
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 12:27:10 AM   
Thomm

quote:

I would settle for waht was in CM1.  That was pretty good.

The excuse in CMSF was that it was too secret for them to show.

In CMBN it's that we wouldn't understand it.

Not sure which it is,

I envision the armor data as a bunch of triangles (representing the armor plates) with armor thickness, quality, etc. assigned to each one. How would you visualize this without a major programming effort, if at all.

Compare this to the generic hit areas in CMx1.

I think a good compromise would be the hit arrows of ToW, which show - at least - the armor thickness of the hit plate (IIRC). But as long as major game elements (flame-throwers, for example) are missing, I guess we shall not see anything like this.

At the very minimum, there is the color coded display showing the armor rating of the most important vehicle aspects. That is more than nothing.

Best regards,
Thomm

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 52
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 12:39:44 AM   
henri51

I thinkthat this game would sell better if the full manual were given with the demo as they did for CMN.There is a lot of richness that is not obvious (at least to me) from the tutorial manual.

Henri

(in reply to Thomm)
Post #: 53
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 1:33:28 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

This. And its not that expensive even especially with the deal matrix gives. I got the game for free!

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 54
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 2:02:36 AM   
junk2drive

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

I thinkthat this game would sell better if the full manual were given with the demo as they did for CMN.There is a lot of richness that is not obvious (at least to me) from the tutorial manual.

Henri

The full manual is included with the demo.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 55
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 5:36:33 AM   
Jacko

quote:

quote:

Bullshit.

I agree. It is nonsense. There helpdesk is second to none and I only have good experiences there. Stop bashing BF please, I don't like it.

< Message edited by Jacko -- 5/25/2011 5:38:25 AM >

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 56
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 6:46:00 AM   
Pillar

quote:

I strongly disagree with this.

All of it? What a strange coincidence.

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 57
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 8:21:15 AM   

Agree with Jacko:

quote:

(in reply to Jacko)
Post #: 58
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 9:49:14 AM   
JMass

quote:

Of course...most everyone is looking for that free lunch.

I am too busy to release mods for free to do the tester for BF for free, so I'll wait enough patches to have a game enough good in my opinion

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 59
RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN - 5/25/2011 12:53:00 PM   
Mad Russian

Okay, this is a Matrix forum. We are here to discuss the merits of Matrix games. At times that means we get compared to other games. In this case the CM series of games.

Whether or not you had a good experience with a companies customer service department really doesn't qualify as comparing the two games.

We need to bring this thread back towards a discussion of the merits of the games involved and leave comments about other companies issues for another place and time.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to JMass)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Convince me that I should buy it instead of CBN Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI