Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Warhammer40k?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer40k? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 1:10:30 AM   
Mright

I was just wondering if any one had made or was planing to make a Warhammer 40k mod? I ran a search and nothing showed up.

Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 1:47:12 AM   
Igard

Hi, Mright. Welcome to the forums.

There is a WIP thread. A few ships were released, but it's far from complete.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2419296

(in reply to Mright)
Post #: 2
RE: Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 6:13:03 AM   
Data

Nice to see so many new people attracted by the modding possibilities for this game; kinda suggests expanding this feature would be highly benefcial

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 3
RE: Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 8:24:21 AM   
thiosk

Ive been quietly biding my time for mod tools to come out. If there is enough depth available, this game would do warhammer 40k quite nicely. Better than most.

There are a few problems with 40k mods in a 4x game. First, absolutely no diplomacy with aliens. Period. Xenos are best studied through a rifle barrel. Second, the typical 4x model of colony rush > buildup > conquer is not viable. Progress in the Warhammer universe is best characterized as an agonizing, hopeless grind against insurmountable obstacles-- attaining victory in one sector often comes at the cost of losing another. Thus, I've oft thought that the best warhammer 4x game would be a warhammer galactic sim-- the galaxy lives and breathes as it does, but you have a cadre of SPAEC MAREENS and associated ships that you build and nurture.

There is no technological progress in warhammer; all progress comes from artifact control. This must be modded.

I'm thinking the player should be extremely limited in ships. To overcome shipspam, I've considered modding scarcity: rename mines to factories, have them slowly produce things like "energy cells" or "plasma cores" Couple of those per year, ship them back to the forge worlds, then and only then can ships be built (at massive expense). Most luxury items are food, lack of food means population loss, riots, and expansion of the taint of chaos. spying is replaced by the inquisition (and is generally used on your own populace).

I conceive of the game as more of an action adventure than 4x-- you lead your merry band of SPAEC MAREENS around the galaxy... doing stuff. Stop by a moon to plunder some artifact, OOPS, necron tombworld releases 30 ships to ravage the galaxy. Everything is going good, offense against three ork worlds progressing nicely, KABOOM hive fleet roars in from the east side of the map and lays waste to everything.

How to mod in the taint of chaos im not sure about; i'm thinking generalized morale system that decays as a function of absolute morale: high morale worlds are resistant to chaos, lower morale worlds are constantly at the precipice of collapse.

Anyway, a proper warhammer mod that captures the spirit of the warhammer universe would be immense fun. I'd love to see a 4x game tackle it in a way that makes sense.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 2:16:32 PM   
Mright

Thank you for the welcome. This is the first game that I have bought in years. I was just soo impressed with the scope and design that I had to support the creators.

@thiosk : I have to say I disagree with you about diplomacy. All the spacemarine sects should be able to interact with each other as well as imperials and sob's, I have even herd of temporary treaties with the Eldar and or Toa, especially in the face of chaos and or tyranids. The Toa will be diplomatic with anyone that they can. The Eldar have been known to form pacts with almost everyone except the Tyranids. Chaos is well Chaos and will do anything and everything (though I would not trust them). Orks are so dumb they have been known to hold their fire against one race if it helped the WAAAAAAAHG. The only ones I have never herd of doing ANY diplomacy would be the Necrons and Tyranids.

That gothica mod looks fun (though the race pics look a bit cartoonish) Cant wait to see what others come up with and where this all goes in the future. Might even inspire me to learn how to start modding

(in reply to thiosk)
Post #: 5
RE: Warhammer40k? - 5/26/2011 4:39:34 PM   
Igard

It's not a hard game to mod. Just take a look at the mods that are available and check out the slightly out-dated customization guide (it's stickied on the modding sub-forum).

It's not hard to make races hate each other using the bias settings, but there's still the possibility of hated enemies offering tech trades and such. Still a bit more to go with the diplomacy, it's fairly limited IMO, but hopefully that should be getting some work in an upcoming expansion.

(in reply to Mright)
Post #: 6
RE: Warhammer40k? - 11/7/2011 12:08:59 AM   
Fubar

Battlefleet Gothic would be a great mod to have, there certainly is plenty of images of ships in the GW .pdf's in their archives. Only thing is most are side view, thing is space is a 3d environment so whos to say you have to view something from above!?!? lol

Maybe i'll dust off my copy of Photoshop and have a mess around.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 7
RE: Warhammer40k? - 11/9/2011 12:16:58 PM   
Fubar

Hmmm this looks like it could be useful

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warhammer-40000-fire-in-the-sky

http://www.moddb.com/mods/warhammer40k-battlefleet-nexus

< Message edited by Fubar -- 11/9/2011 1:07:53 PM >

(in reply to Fubar)
Post #: 8
RE: Warhammer40k? - 11/13/2011 7:44:19 PM   
lordxorn

The problem with a Warhammer 40K mod is the lack of good top down images, those links you referenced would need to be textured still. Which is time consuming.

Wormguy has a mod on this
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2419296&mpage=2&key=�

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 11/13/2011 7:56:15 PM >

(in reply to Fubar)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Warhammer40k? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI