Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/2/2011 8:33:31 PM   
paullus99

If there is a possibility that this game doesn't go the distance - meaning you might overwhelmingly defeat him in 1943, taking a few risks now is a good thing. If you can put some hurt on his fast BB's, do it - even on the off chance you take a couple of hits, it still will put the fear in him.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 901
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/2/2011 9:42:03 PM   
Miller

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

If there is a possibility that this game doesn't go the distance - meaning you might overwhelmingly defeat him in 1943, taking a few risks now is a good thing. If you can put some hurt on his fast BB's, do it - even on the off chance you take a couple of hits, it still will put the fear in him.

I doubt this game will reach 43.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 902
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/2/2011 9:47:51 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, it's time for somebody to come along and say, "I think you guys are too sure of yourselves.  There's alot that could happen now.  Maybe the Allies are too complacent.  Etc." 

Orders have been issued:  Assuming that the Kongo/Haruna/Ise TF may be bound for Batavia to bombard, the Allies will try to intercept in hopes that strike aircraft - augmented by 36 SBD-3s from American carriers - can hit cripplies effecitvely.  So something like 15 PT boats, the Royal Soveriegn TF, and a cruiser TF following, will sniff around Batavia.

Decisions have been made:  The Allies will expend the PP to buy 27th Division.  1500 are needed, 1250 are on hand, so I'll have to wait five days.

A correction is needed:  The Chinese are laying siege to Kukong rather than Kienko as I stated earlier.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 903
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/2/2011 11:12:23 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

This is a weird game no doubt.  The fact that Steve is experienced adds to the weirdness.  I look forward to eventually hearing his explanation of what the heck has happened from his perspective.

I think Steve has figured out that I was getting too much intel.  The "prepping for" and "maru bound for" stuff has slowed considerably.  That which I do get is mostly uselss, like "xx unit is at Singapore" or "xx unit is prepping for Changsha."  Those are pretty obvious.

My guess as to Steve's strategy?  I say he'll focus on Sumatra and the Kuriles, nibble a bit on the peripheries at fairly lightly defended bases, work in China, and eventually transition over to the defensive.  I don't believe there will be any big and bold moves on major Allied land masses, though I'll continue sniffing for any indications to the contrary.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I have really wanted to read his AAR but have stayed away from it. As a JFB I have so many questions for your opponent as to the why's and how's of the campaign.

My .02 is that the campaign won't reach 1943...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 904
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 6:28:17 PM   
Canoerebel

4/5/42

Sumatra:  Japanese bombers out of Malaya sink five xAKL dropping off supplies at Sabang.  The American tank unit again beats up the ragged and retreating Japanese garrison.  Many of the Allies units at Oosthaven and Palembang are 100% prepped, so they've spent weeks or months training.  I've been keeping track of one low-experience unit - a Zuid Dutch infantry battaliion of about 25 AV.  On March 29, it's experience level was 38.  Eight days later, it is 41.  The commander is in the 40s in all categories, so he isn't a big help.  This is pretty solid evidence that rest/training is effective.  B-17s from Palembang did a port raid on Balikpan, damaging four xAK and xAP.

Java:  The Kongo/Haruna/Ise TF vanished.  I have no idea where it went.  So Royal Sovereign and friends are returning to Oosthaven.  No sign of imminent IJ move on Java.  Prompted by a NYGiants post, a small American battalion that was inbound to Cocos Island, which already has an AV of about 60, will instead go to Christmas Island (IO), thus preventing Japan from making a snap invasion.  Upon arrival there, I'll send part of a base force to handle patrol aircraft.

China:  Chinese deliberate attack at Kukong comes off at 2:1 but can't quite dislodge the enemy.  A shock attack tomorrow may do the trick.

NoPac:  Nells and Bettys sink the American ACM in port at Paramushiro.  IJ shipping at Shimishura Jima.  No sign of KB or other big boys at the moment.  Warspite and Idaho will return to Amchitka in two days.  A USA battalion is loading aboard transports to see if Amchitka can be taken on the cheap.

Second Thoughts:  I"m still debating whether to expend PP to allow 27th Div. to join the battle for Sumatra or vicinity, or whether to instead buy units to permit invasions in the Gilberts.  While the DEI is more vital, a big Allied push in the Gilberts would be a blow to Japan in yet another region.  Tough call here.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 6/3/2011 6:30:17 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 905
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 6:36:44 PM   
princep01

CR, a reminder stated by me and others previously.....winning the battle of Palembang/Sumatra wins the war. Conquering the Gilberts....wins the Gilberts.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 906
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 6:55:41 PM   
Canoerebel

Right.  But an argument can be made that another solid punch in an important region keeps the enemy reeling and unable to effectively concentrate on Sumatra.  And the Gilberts are important, not only on their own merit but because taking them poses a major threat to the enemy's LOC to New Calendonia and Fiji.  It would  be a blow, make no mistake.

Meanwhile, I am not sure that 27th Division should be committed to Sumatra.  I probably have enough troops ashore to wage that battle effectively for many months to come.  I could possibly use 27th Div. to invade Denpassar, Koepang, or possibly even Malaya, which would rattle Steve and hurt his position, but it hurts him where he's already hurting, so I'm not positive the impact of using 27th Div. in the DEI is as strong as would be a major American offensive in the Gilberts.

Also complicating this equation is the need for carrier support in a Gilberts operation.  I can't afford to shift them from the DEI right now.

This is a complicated question on deep levels requiring thought far beyond what seems obvious on the sufrace...or so I think.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 907
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 9:47:27 PM   
princep01

CR I respectfully disagree. One of my clients was infamous when we were planning case strategy for saying at critical junctions, "Never ignore the obvious". He said it so often, we could usually quote that in unison with him. It was good for a laugh. Subsequent events have led me to believe that life is often just that simple. Call me Pollyannish, but I think that concept applies here.

As stated before, I believe you have conducted a really fine defense against the Japanese tide. In fact, I believe the game is won regardless of what you do with 27th Div (short of a human sacrifice by having it sunk at sea). From the moment you sank those AOs feeding the KB, I smiled at the audacity and psychological impact I thought the move would have on your opponent. Subsequent events have confirmed that suspicion.

But, the Gilberts??? If he chases up to the Kuriles (a much more strategically important area than the Gilberts) with KB, well, I guess creating another place for the enemy to diddle about in could be a diversion from concentrating on getting you out of Fortress Palembang, but do you REALLY think he will squander KB or even other substantial forces, chasing about in the Gilberts? I don't. Further, I have to disagree about the value of the Gilberts given the current situation. Its just me, but the value of the Gilberts now is that of the teats on the proverbial boar hog.

I don't know what your opponent is thinking, as I do not read his AAR. However, I must say that I believe you have forced him to alter whatever early plans he made. The thrashing about once you blunted several attempts to grab bases that are generally automatic Japanese possessions by the end of January confirmed that to me. Your conduct has been eye openingly brilliant. First there was the early aggressive use of limited surface forces. Then the Palembang gambit. That gambit basically new to me (I know it is not unique to this game from other comments, but this is the first time I have watched it unfold). I have watched your attitude and commitment to it evolve as well. Stick with it. Don't underutilize great assets like the 27th by grabbing poison pawns around the chess board. Even the great Fisher learned that lesson again Spasski in an early game in Iceland. IF you think you are truly equipped to first hold, then go on the offensive out of southern Sumatra with the troops in place, okay, use the 27th elsewhere. But, I'd think it much more valuable to use it or an equivalent invading Shanklin Is. and otherwise developing a threat that really hurts than to spend the resources grabbing the great empty.

The Gilberts?? Blah. The best you're going to get out of that is to increase the experience of 27th.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 908
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 10:05:22 PM   
Nemo121

I don't think it is essential to commit the US 27th to Festung Palembang.

I think it should either form the core of a force for the invasion of Malaysia in 4 to 6 weeks time OR should be used in the Pacific. In the Pacific though the Gilberts aren't necessarily all that important. What about going for one of the Marianas or going for the Marshalls? THAT would have an impact. I'm not sure the Gilberts would have the necessary impact in terms of complicating your opponent's situation.

In terms of timing.... Within 1 week of the crescendo of his attack on Southern Sumatra - it should take you 3 or 4 days to clearly show you will hold. Give it a day or two to sink in and then land somewhere strategically vital along his SLOCs while he is struggling to re-orient. The timing of this is critical. Too soon and you just give him one problem with 2 facets to orient to, too late and you just give him two problems in sequence. You want to catch him mid-re-orientation. It isn't just about where to invade but when. That's utterly crucial.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 909
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 10:59:55 PM   
Canoerebel

Okay, I'll put all this in the hopper and see what I come up with.  Thanks for posting guys.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 910
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 11:15:14 PM   
Alfred

Two comments on last few posts.

1. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Poisoned Pawn Variation. The assessment is still =/+borne out by the general unwillingness of White players to offer the sacrifice.

2. You guys have something to look forward to when you get around to reading ChezDaJez's AAR.

Alfred

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 911
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 11:22:43 PM   
paullus99

What about an extremely audacious strike - Wake, Marcus & Iwo Jima? It'd make good your threat in the north & really throw him for a loop - even if the lodgement can't be permanently maintained, it'll screw him up something royal.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 912
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 11:37:06 PM   
John 3rd

Paullus stole my thunder. You want to RATTLE your opponent? Take Wake or Marcus. Marcus would be much more bold but either one or both will provoke real consternation (on top of everything else) with the Allies.

You did something like this in our campaign and it was SOOOO unexpected that I wasn't able to respond very quickly...

"L'Audace. L'Audace. Toujour L'Audace!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 913
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/3/2011 11:46:26 PM   
Canoerebel

Iwo and Marcus would certainly be high on my list, though I think Steve has to be aware of their vulnerability.  I'll give that some thought. 

I play chess a little bit, but I have to confess I don't know what a poisoned pawn is.  Alfred's post is a bit hard for me to decipher.  He's probably thumping his palm on his forehead saying, "What's your problem?  Don't you read plain English?"

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 914
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 12:53:18 AM   
Nemo121

Alfred is talking about a chess gambit in which one player offers a sacrifice which, if taken, will result in a significant positional disadvantage for their opponent and which will, in the long run, hurt their opponent more than them.

The question is whom he is implying is using the poisoned pawn...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 915
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 1:25:27 AM   
Alfred

The Poison Pawn Variation of the Najdorf Variation of the Sicilian Defence.

White, Black

1. e4, c5
2. Nf3, d6
3. d4, cd
4. Nd4, Nf6
5. Nc3, a6 (Najdorf Variation)
6. Bg5 (Main Line), e6
7. f4, Qb6 (Black "treats"@ White to offer the poissoned pawn)
8. Qd2 (White offers the b2 pawn which is the poissoned pawn), Qb2 (Black accepts - if he declines the position then is clearly bad for Black)

or

8. Nb3 (White declines to offer the b2 pawn, the position is now in Black's favour)

What is particularly unusual about this gambit is that the gambit is only possible if the other player "treats" for it first. Usually a gambit has no "treating", the material is offered and the other side decides to accept or decline. In other words, it is a 2 step process. In the Poissoned Pawn Variation it is a 3 step process.

@ "treats" is used akin to its legal meaning in contract law so Canoerebel will more easily understand the concept

Alfred

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 916
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 3:29:41 AM   
princep01

My God....has Albert created a space weapon for Chez and the Imperial Japanese. AP story re large piece of a comet barrelling toward Macon, GA on the night of May 20, 2011. Luckily, it was a big snowball rather than a iron rock and disintegrated rapidly. Doing 86K MPH when it hit the atmosphere. Nicely caught on camera by NASA sky watch. Canoe....I think those dastardly creeps are trying to decapitate the Allied brain trust. Be wary....very wary.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 917
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 3:18:10 PM   
Nemo121

Is Canoerebel a lawyer? Damn, I must remember to be nastier to him in future

As to what Alfred is saying.... Well he's opaque - which is his intention. He is actually creating some dissonance regarding who here is white and who is black. Personally, I think both Canoe and Chez are both grey, albeit in different theatres, within the confines of the Najdorf paradigm...

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 918
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 3:18:20 PM   
Canoerebel

4/6/42

Cryptic-Analysis:  I think Alfred is referring to a move that I've made that Steve won't bite on, which of course could be either the Kuriles or Sumatra.  The trouble with cryptic comments is that they can be hard - sometimes impossible - to decipher.  As for enjoying reading Steve's AAR one of these days....heck, he hasn't posted in two weeks and was irregular before that.

China:  The Chinese keep scoring 2:1 attacks at Kukong, but don't take the base.  A 2:1 shock today didn't do the trick.  Since IJ reinforcements are just a few hexes away, the Chinese are going to retire towards Hengyang, hopefully I can work it so that they don't get mauled.  The Chinese are slowly on the move north and east of Sian, feeling for week spots.  The Japanese remain in force at Changsha.

NoPac:  Quiet here - no sign of IJ irruption, but then irruptions are usually sudden.  IJ shipping is at Shimishura Jima.  An Allied CA/CL/DD TF is sliding that way apparently undetected.  Something should happen tonight.  Allied D-Day at Amchitka should be in three days.

SoPac:  No signs of enemy moves.

DEI:  Lots of enemy bombers giving attention to western Sumatra.  Steve is clearly anxious to reclaim his position here.  That's good - any force allocated here, any day spent focused here, is another day of reprieve for eastern Sumatra.  Forts at Palembang are at 4.70, increasing at a rate of .02 per day.  Therefore, in roughly two to three weeks the forts should reach level 5.  No signs of imminent enemy activity against Java or eastern Sumatra.  Two more heavy AA units are approaching Oosthaven.  The Allies will have a decent flak capability at Palembang, but not so massive that I have to be embarrassed about "flooding the zone."

Carriers:  Sara and Lex will be ready for action at Colombo in six days.  Ent and York are south of Padang, Sumatra.  Indomitable and Hermes are a bit to the east of that location.  Signs of some IJ carriers (or CS) at Singapore.  It's nothing major - cursor shows 10 aux aircraft associated with this TF.  I haven't seen the KB since it retired from Fiji many weeks ago.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 919
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 3:40:12 PM   
Nemo121

Canoe, I don't think your analysis there re: Alfred's intention is correct. You are assuming you are white. Assumptions are dangerous.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 920
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 3:52:10 PM   
crsutton

I am surprised that he is not reconning Colombo on a daily basis with LR bombers or patrol aircraft. He is in range, is he not? Perhaps he has not moved far enough into Burma. Japanese players should never leave Colombo unwatched. Even if it is just a Glen equipped sub. As the Allied player, I would never upgrade or repair capital ships there if I was aware the port was being watched. So just by reconning the base forces the Allied player to use Cape Town-which robs ships of another month in transit time.

With the Japanese every little failure of a quick advance adds up. He should own Port Blair and most of Burma by now. And, then be watching Colombo. If he is not in a position to do so then the use of Colombo adds to the growing list of Allied advantages. And although the Japanese look solid on paper, this accumulation of advantages should lead to disaster for Japan early in the war.

I don't play the Japanese but as an Allied player know what the Japanese need to accomplish fairly well. Playing scen #2 the Japanese player by October 42 should hold all of Burma including Akyab, the DEI, North Oz up to Daily Waters including Port Headland, most of the Aleutians, a good Pacific perimeter, and the Solomons chain at least as far as Ndeni. This is without a major defeat of the Allied carrier fleet. If you have early sucess vs the Allied carriers (shame!), then Noumea and Suva should be in the bag too. This is a must if you want to hold off a serious Allied thrust in 43.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 921
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 5:09:48 PM   
Canoerebel

Nemo, I'm not assuming anything here, though I could be (am) miscontruing or misunderstanding.  If I am the black, then Steve might have offered Sumatra (unlikely) or the Kuriles (definately possible, but considered and accepted before I proceeded).

Readers of this AAR are at a disadvantage in evaluating what's going on, because you are largely limited to the things I point out.  Of course, there are myriad little things that go into evaluating the opposing player and his intentions and abilities, many of which aren't worth posting (my posts are long enough) or which I forget to mention or which I intentionally don't mention.  Steve is doing a number of things that has me scratching my head - letter I's he isn't dotting and letter T's he isn't crossing.  The overall picture painted is of a player who is experienced but seems to be rushing the game and not giving turns the attention needed.

It is possible that this is an elbarately thought ought deception plan, but there are certain things he's failing to do that go far beyond that.  I would wager everything I have that the right explanation is that he's not giving the game the attention needed rather than setting the pefect-storm trap.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 922
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 5:31:30 PM   
bradfordkay

You need to remember that Steve just took a new position that is taking a lot more of his time (if that's possible - he was the nurse they relied upon to fill in when others didn't show), so of course he isn't putting as much time and effort into the game as y'all think that he should (he'd better damned well not - he has another opponent who wants the occasional game turn!). 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 923
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 5:50:50 PM   
Canoerebel

That's true - Steve does have a job that demands his full attention.  But for the sake of clarity so that readers will have as accurate a picture of what's going on as possible, I haven't noticed any change in his style of play since he changed positions.  And I also hope that my AAR isn't coming across as waging warfare against Steve.  For me, it's an interesting excercise in trying to come to grips with an opponent armed with a big, dangerous weapon (Scenario Two) as quickly as possible.  It's been alot of fun, and I appreciate my opponent and all the contributors to this AAR.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 924
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 7:28:07 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/42 (Part One)

Kuriles:  The Allied CA/CL/DD TF engage enemy shipping at Shimishura Jima while a Japanese CL/DD force engaged Allied shipping at Paramushiro Jima.  The fighting was hot and heavy, and I'm surprised that Japan would expose such a large force knowing the Allies have had capital combat ships in the area:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Paramushiro-jima at 137,47, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
     CL Oi
     DD Makigumo
     DD Hakaze
     DD Kyukaze
     DD Suresushio

Allied Ships
     DD Smith, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
     DD Balch, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
     DD Fox  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Paramushiro-jima at 137,47, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
     CL Oi
     DD Makigumo
     DD Hakaze
     DD Kyukaze
     DD Suresushio

Allied Ships
     AVP Avocet, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
     xAP Thomas Barry, Shell hits 9,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Sagadahoc, Shell hits 15,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Harry Luckenbach, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
     xAK Florence D., Shell hits 24, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk 

Allied ground losses:
     Guns lost 46 (28 destroyed, 18 disabled)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
     DD Minekaze, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
     DD Asagao, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
     DD Fuyo, Shell hits 9, and is sunk
     DD Karukaya, Shell hits 8, and is sunk
     xAKL Hinode Maru #18
     xAKL Rikusen Maru
     xAKL Tamaura Maru
     PB Kenkon Maru, Shell hits 24, and is sunk
     xAK Tasmania Maru, Shell hits 7,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Konsan Maru
     xAK Nagato Maru, Shell hits 8,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Borneo Maru
     xAK Ceylon Maru, Shell hits 3
     xAK Singapore Maru, Shell hits 3,  on fire
     xAK Tohuku Maru
     xAK Ume Maru, Shell hits 7,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Tatuha Maru, Shell hits 2,  on fire
     xAK Tokusima Maru, Shell hits 3
     xAK Hokumai Maru, Shell hits 1
     xAK Anzan Maru, Shell hits 7,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Ada Maru, Shell hits 7,  heavy fires
     xAK Hokutai Maru, Shell hits 2,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Hukuzyu Maru, Shell hits 12,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Kaimei Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
     xAK Kosei Maru, Shell hits 16, and is sunk
     xAK Tyoyo Maru, Shell hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
     xAK Ryotaku Maru, Shell hits 3,  on fire
     xAK Nitimei Maru, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
     xAK Nitiren Maru, Shell hits 22, and is sunk
     xAK Tatuha Maru, Shell hits 9,  on fire
     xAKL Takunan Maru, Shell hits 14, and is sunk
     xAKL Nichirin Maru, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
     PB Kinsyo Maru #4, Shell hits 19, and is sunk
     PB Yodozo Maru, Shell hits 9, and is sunk

Allied Ships
     CA Northampton
     CL St. Louis, Shell hits 1
     CL Phoenix
     DD Cummings, Shell hits 1,  heavy fires
     DD Case, Shell hits 11,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     DD Conyngham, Shell hits 1
     DD Shaw
     DD Cushing
     DD Brooks
     DD Gilmer
     DMS Hovey
     DMS Boggs, Shell hits 2

Japanese ground losses:
     647 casualties reported
        Squads: 15 destroyed, 12 disabled
        Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 17 disabled
        Engineers: 7 destroyed, 7 disabled 

Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
     xAKL Hinode Maru #18, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
     xAKL Rikusen Maru, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
     xAKL Tamaura Maru
     xAK Tasmania Maru, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
     xAK Konsan Maru
     xAK Nagato Maru, Shell hits 6,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Borneo Maru, Shell hits 3,  on fire
     xAK Ceylon Maru, Shell hits 1
     xAK Singapore Maru, Shell hits 2,  heavy fires
     xAK Tohuku Maru, Shell hits 1
     xAK Ume Maru, Shell hits 3,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Tatuha Maru, Shell hits 13,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Tokusima Maru, Shell hits 1,  on fire
     xAK Hokumai Maru, Shell hits 2,  on fire
     xAK Anzan Maru, Shell hits 9,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Ada Maru, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
     xAK Hokutai Maru, Shell hits 13, and is sunk
     xAK Hukuzyu Maru, Shell hits 17, and is sunk
     xAK Ryotaku Maru, Shell hits 10,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
     xAK Tatuha Maru,  heavy fires

Allied Ships
     CA Northampton
     CL St. Louis
     CL Phoenix
     DD Conyngham
     DD Shaw
     DD Cushing
     DD Brooks
     DD Gilmer
     DMS Hovey
     DMS Boggs

Japanese ground losses:
     75 casualties reported
        Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
        Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
        Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
     Guns lost 2 (1 destroyed, 1 disabled) 

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 925
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 8:30:12 PM   
Canoerebel

4/7/42 (Part Two)

Kuriles: The Allies lost three DD, three xAK, one xAP and an xAP on the day; Japan lost four DD and roughly 25 transports. The Allied combat TF will retire to Dutch Harbor to replenish. Para's airfield went to level one.

China: The Chinese withdrawl from Kukong is going smoothly so far.

DEI: Other than massed Japanese air raids on Sabang and Langsa, the DEI remains quiet. Palembag forts up to 4.73. Oosthaven airfield just went to level six.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 926
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/4/2011 9:21:24 PM   
Cribtop

Nice ambush. Looks like you got the better end of the sharp exchange.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 927
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/5/2011 10:24:56 AM   
Fishbed

I think your opponent is losing sight of his priorities. If he wanna crush the kuriles, sending the kitchen sink is the only way to have it done quick and well. Sending packets of forces is just another way to lose this war badly. But then again, you're not giving him much choice when it comes to the strategic priorities. Good job CR.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 928
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/5/2011 1:01:56 PM   
Canoerebel

4/8/42

Kuriles:  A Japanese carrier force slipped north and sortied in strength against the American combat TF that was retiring to the NE after the Battle of Shimishura Jima.  54 Kates sortied in afternoon strikes that sank CA Northhampton, badly damaged CL St. Louis, and moderately damaged CL Trenton.  This action is taking place well east of Para and it appears that the three Allied battleships, will to the north and undetected, have an advantageous position from which to flee.  But there are a handful of transports that will find themselves in harm's way.  Cursor intel shows the carriers hold 28 fighters, 99 bombers, and 46 auxillary. 

SoPac:  A large Japanese force including reported CA (probably DD) and AP sighted between Samoa and Fiji.  This is likely an invasion force bound for Savaii or Pago Pago.  The garrison at PP includes three Marine CD units, so it will be interesting to see how enemy transports might be treated, but at 120 AV the defenses aren't stout.

DEI:  No sign of an imminent move on Java or Sumatra.  An American AA unit just landed at Oosthaven and a British heavy AA unit is a few days out.  Japan's air power is concentrated on neutralizing Sabang.  No strikes against the eastern Sumatra bases yet.  The Allies can buy 27th US Div. in two days.

China:  Three of the four Chinese units should depart Kukong tomorrow, with the other likely to make it before IJ reinforcements arrive.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 929
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 6/5/2011 1:33:49 PM   
paullus99

I'll be darned - he did send at least some carriers north. That's a mistake - exposing his shipping (once again) is another. So, he's got at least two carriers supporting the Kuriles, which means only four (or so) availble for the DEI.

What about a raid on Singapore? If you can allocate your carriers for a quick in & out, you could potentially put another big crimp in his plans for the area - especially if you can get a whiff of where his other carriers might be (and if there out in the Pacific supporting whatever moves he has planned, you're in great shape).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI