Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multi Beta Versions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Multi Beta Versions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 1:00:24 AM   
Zeta16

Say I am playing a game with a Beta version from months ago and want to start a game with another player with the newest version can both be on my machine at the same time.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan
Post #: 1
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 1:48:16 AM   
witpqs

I use multiple installs - WITP-AE; PBM#1; PBM#2; etc.

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 2
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 1:56:04 AM   
Rainer

Yes.

Example:
Beta1 (say 1108m) resides in Subdirectory J:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\BetaM

Beta2 (say 1108p2) resides in Subdirectory J:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\BetaP2

Both subdirectories contain 2 files (pwsdll.dll and War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe)
You must have TWO shortcuts on your desktop - one pointing to Beta1 the other to Beta2.
Just make sure the saves go into different slots (both betas point to the same save directory!)

Note: I did NOT test this.

EDIT: I think witp's solution (multiple installs) is better because you don't have to care about the saves.

< Message edited by Rainer -- 7/4/2011 2:07:28 AM >

WitP/AE
1.7.11.26b
Data base changes by Andy Mac October 16, 2012
Scen #1 Allied vs AI Level Hard Daily Turns
Art Mods by TomLabel and Reg
Topo Map by chemkid

WitW / Torch
1.01.37 - 1.01.44 beta

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 3
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 2:19:32 AM   
Zeta16

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I use multiple installs - WITP-AE; PBM#1; PBM#2; etc.

Do you just make a copy of the AE folder and rename then download the new beta to that folder.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 2:31:23 AM   
witpqs

1 of 3

I copied the entire AE folder to make separate installs. The Beta versions I apply by hand to the base install (which I do not use for PBM) and copy just the relevant executables. As far as the big updates or scenario updates, etc. (that have lots of files being changed) I use Microsoft's free utility "SyncToy" (go to microsoft.com and search on it for the download).

Here are some pics.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 5
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 2:31:52 AM   
witpqs

2 of 3

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 2:32:15 AM   
witpqs

3 of 3

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 2:35:29 AM   
witpqs

Here is how I keep track of Beta releases that are installed. I run the Beta install routine. Then, I immediately make a copy of the dll and the exe with the Beta version attached. That way if I need to move between Beta versions (hey, they're Beta so they do have bugs, right?) I can do so with no confusion.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 10:37:37 AM   
michaelm75au

After I install a beta during testing, I rename the beta2 to beta1108p1, and change the shortcut to use that instead of beta2.

I mentioned before that you can use multiple save directories under the same install by creating a witp.ini file in the AE install directory. The INI is read when the program is started if it is detected in the startup directory.

Here is the one I am using.

==================================
; All locations are from the WITP-AE install directory
; This file does not need to be present, but if present, is used to override the standard directory pointers

; Overriding location of save games. This is handy for multiple PBEM games where a seperate directory
; can be set up for each game.
; And this file changed before starting the program

[Save]
Dir=save\bugs

; Overriding location of scenario files. This is handy for modders when building games
[Scen]
;Dir=scen\new
;Dir=save\bugs\Scen26&Save

; Overriding location of art directory. This is handy to test new art or to keep seperate art folders

;[Art]
;Dir=copy of art

[edit]
A commented line is indicated by ; in case the reader is not use to window's INI files.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 7/4/2011 10:40:01 AM >

Michael

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 3:16:16 PM   
Numdydar

Me I just ride bareback  My AI game I patch as soon as the Betas come out, my PBEM we upgraded to K6 and have not moved past yet, but will wait until someting gets fixed that we think needs to  No issues with any of the changes so far. Good job Michaelm.

Of course it WOULD be nice to have some idea of WHEN an 'official' patch will be released as I will never go back to the official version after all the great changes in the betas.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 10
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 4:38:25 PM   
Pratzen

Does anybody know when an official patch will be released? Perhaps it is going to be called WITP II...?

Post #: 11
RE: Multi Beta Versions - 7/4/2011 8:40:29 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

After I install a beta during testing, I rename the beta2 to beta1108p1, and change the shortcut to use that instead of beta2.

I mentioned before that you can use multiple save directories under the same install by creating a witp.ini file in the AE install directory. The INI is read when the program is started if it is detected in the startup directory.

Here is the one I am using.

==================================
; All locations are from the WITP-AE install directory
; This file does not need to be present, but if present, is used to override the standard directory pointers

; Overriding location of save games. This is handy for multiple PBEM games where a seperate directory
; can be set up for each game.
; And this file changed before starting the program

[Save]
Dir=save\bugs

; Overriding location of scenario files. This is handy for modders when building games
[Scen]
;Dir=scen\new
;Dir=save\bugs\Scen26&Save

; Overriding location of art directory. This is handy to test new art or to keep seperate art folders

;[Art]
;Dir=copy of art

[edit]
A commented line is indicated by ; in case the reader is not use to window's INI files.

Nice - I missed this before.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Multi Beta Versions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI