Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Das darf nicht var sein!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 9:26:03 PM   
Durbik

quote:

DEI: Patrols report the KB - at least five fleet carriers - at Balikpan.

Ha! Waiting for GreyJoy to notice that :D

obey the fist!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1141
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 9:48:39 PM   
vettim89

Reminds me of a movie:

Shoeless Joe: "Okay the last two were high and tight. Now he doesn't want to walk you and load the bases. Where do you think the next pitch will be?"

Moonlight Graham: "Either low and away or in my ear"

Shoeless Joe: "Low and away .............................. but make sure you look out for in your ear"

Good advice always

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1142
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 10:23:28 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Durbik

quote:

LOL...didn't notice that simply 'cause for me all those strange name have different ways of spelling the same name
So it could be Balikpan or Balikapan or Balikpapan...it doesn't really matter
Sosarbaja, Scoodra...not to talk about the "chinese ones"!!! :-) Luckly i lost China very early so i now don't bother anymore with those damned chinese names!

Anyway...from what you just said CR (about the 4th div stuck in Bataan since its fall) it really seems to me that there's something wrong at the moment.
No matter what kind of "cover up-trap" he could be trying to lay against you....he's clearly doing every possible thing that could hurt his ability to exploit japanese initial general bonuses.

What is he doing with the KB there without an invasion fleet?!?!!? i understand he has lost tons of transport ships...but not nearly enough to halt his shipping capabilities at this early stage of war!

Have you seen in the sightin report some major units prepping for Palembang or Ostaven or any other sensible place??

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 1143
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 10:31:02 PM   
Canoerebel

No prep reports in weeks or longer, which is certainly an oddity.  He's got to prep for Palembang and whichever base he chooses as a D-Day target on Sumatra.

Yes, Japan has a nearly limitless number of transports, so I doubt he's crippled.   But if he lands at Oosthaven, Benkolen or Palembang, he might need eight to ten divisions right from the get-go, and I think that might stretch Japan's transport capacity.  (That makes me wonder whether he might try a cheap "across the yellow roads" campaign starting from his own bases in westeren Sumatra.  His supply situation would get ugly, but he might prefer it.)

As for the KB at Balikpan, I don't know that there isn't an invasion force in the area.  My patrol coverage isn't fullproof by any means.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1144
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 10:40:37 PM   
GreyJoy

10 divisions to break your defences there? Sure of that? I mean the dutchs and the early Indians aren't exactly the best soldiers in the world in WITP AE...for sure the american units you brought there will help but his AVs may have more "weight" than yours...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1145
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/7/2011 10:48:14 PM   
Canoerebel

No, he's got to have at least ten divisions to handle Palembang in any sort of timely way - maybe more like 15.

The Allies will eventually have 2,500 to 3,500 AV at Palembang.  Multiply this by terrain (3x), preparation (a 2x for perhaps 1750 AV), and fort level (I'm guessing something like 1.5x for five forts on the way to six).  So, at the outset, the Allies should have an adjusted AV of well over 10,000.

And these are pretty high quality troops too.  There aren't many Americans, but there are plenty of good Australia, British, Indian and Dutch units.  And many of the lower experience units have been training for months.

The Japanese are going to need alot of AV and a LONG sustained bombing campaign to deal with that.  If that Allies can maul the invasion force at sea or on the beaches, that makes the equation that much more difficult to solve for Japan.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1146
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 2:35:07 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

quote:

This iemail totally mystified me. I didn't know what Durbik was getting at since I knew that Balikpan was spelled "Balikpan," just as I've been spellling it for umpteen years. But when I next opened the turn file, I just happened to notice that it's....Balikpapan! Curses! I've been spelling it wrong forever and forever. And the shame of it is that I like my spelling better because it's easier to type and probably easier to say.

Perhaps I should speak up like the Confederate soldier who, upon being told there was no such word as "cooter" in Webster's Dictionary, replied: "I have as much right to make a dictionary as Mr. Webster."

(in reply to Durbik)
Post #: 1147
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 5:56:57 PM   
Canoerebel

5/8/42

DEI:  Increasing enemy activity in the DEI suggests that something is up.  The big carrier TF at Balikpapan wasn't sighted today, although patrols reported a TF with some kind of carrier of Borneo's southeast cape on a westerly course as though heading into the Java Sea.  There is another TF to the south, closer to Dempasar, and a big combat TF up near Tarakan on a southerly course.  That's enough to get my full attention.  The Allied carrier TFs and three BB TFs are steaming east, to take position between Java and Cacos Island.  Lots of enemy sub activity around Oosthaven, damaging an xAK and sinking a TK.  An RN KV claimed one of the subs.

Bay of Bengal:  The enemy TF believed to be heading toward Rangoon on a FT mission seems to be all the way back near Georgetown, but cursor intel shows six units at Rangood where there were just two yesterday.  My assessment is that Steve is using air transport and FT convoys to bring in reinforcements.  My FT convoy can land a battalion of American infantry at Tavoy or Moulmein in two days.  First I'll recon Moulmein to see if it's occupied.  The rest of the Allied ground troops are aboard transports near Trincomalee.  They are porbably five to six days away from any port selected.

China:  The Chiense got another crack at the already-savaged 34th and 39th Divisions.  These two ought to be out of action for a long time.  Now the Chinese will kind of regroup to gauge the lay of the land, enenmy reinforcements, and whether new opportunities to strike exist.

CenPac:  The Tarawa/Baker/Ocean invasion TFs leave San Diego tonight.

SoPac:  The lead Pago Pago relief TFs are about five days out.  Still no enemy attack here - the landing must have completely disrupted them and left them without supply.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/8/2011 5:57:06 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1148
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 6:11:03 PM   
paullus99

If something really is afoot in the DEI (and all indications are pointing in that direction - he wouldn't commit the KB unless he was serious this time), your timing for the CENTPAC operations is perfect & proceeding with the Malaysian strategem will certainly divert his attention at this critical juncture.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1149
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 8:50:56 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

quote:

This iemail totally mystified me. I didn't know what Durbik was getting at since I knew that Balikpan was spelled "Balikpan," just as I've been spellling it for umpteen years. But when I next opened the turn file, I just happened to notice that it's....Balikpapan! Curses! I've been spelling it wrong forever and forever. And the shame of it is that I like my spelling better because it's easier to type and probably easier to say.

Perhaps I should speak up like the Confederate soldier who, upon being told there was no such word as "cooter" in Webster's Dictionary, replied: "I have as much right to make a dictionary as Mr. Webster."

Well good thing you are not a magazine editor or other profession where people expect you to be able to spell

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1150
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 9:12:12 PM   
Cribtop

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well good thing you are not a magazine editor or other profession where people expect you to be able to spell

Yeah. Also, could you please give us a screenshot of this "Rangood" place?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1151
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 9:29:01 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1152
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 9:31:03 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
[Yeah. Also, could you please give us a screenshot of this "Rangood" place?

Darn it, my fingers weren't working right early this a.m. Also, I spilled iced tea on my keyboard a few years ago. I cleaned it up, but the keys stick a little bit. I could buy a new one, but I do not like to waste things. Besides, when I get tired on occasion, I can lay my head on the keyboard and lick the space key.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1153
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 9:32:08 PM   
vettim89

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop
[Yeah. Also, could you please give us a screenshot of this "Rangood" place?

Darn it, my fingers weren't working right early this a.m. Also, I spilled iced tea on my keyboard a few years ago. I cleaned it up, but the keys stick a little bit. I could buy a new one, but I do not like to waste things. Besides, when I get tired on occasion, I can lay my head on the keyboard and lick the space key.

To quote my teenage daughters, "Ewwww"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1154
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/8/2011 11:06:44 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Goodness me you write for a living you cheap @#!&! Go buy yourself a keyboard. I assume you wouldn't use one of those new fangled wireless ones so I will recommend a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Yes, it's "ergonomic" but it's really wonderful, great key feel and cost about $25. While its no IBM Model M http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2009/07/model_m_big.jpg IT was my must have keyboard until I switched to laptops exclusively. You deserve a good keyboard

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1155
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 3:06:27 AM   
princep01

Those LYBs are a couple of months late and a silver dollar short in the DEI. I know it is Scenario 2, but they could bring the kitcken sink and Godzilla too, and they are going to be decisively defeated at the shoreline.

After that, it really doesn't matter where "Ramgood" pr "Rangoose" is...the Tojo fans are going to surrender.

Masterfully played Admiral CR

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1156
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 4:37:38 AM   
whippleofd

quote:

ORIGINAL: princep01

Those LYBs are a couple of months late and a silver dollar short in the DEI. I know it is Scenario 2, but they could bring the kitcken sink and Godzilla too, and they are going to be decisively defeated at the shoreline.

After that, it really doesn't matter where "Ramgood" pr "Rangoose" is...the Tojo fans are going to surrender.

Masterfully played Admiral CR

In my mind the game was decided when he disrupted the Rabaul invasion... twice.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1157
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 8:32:42 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

LOL...i regularly do that...usually with coffea and ash... i tend to write with a mug of coffea in my left hand and a sigarette between my left-hand fingers... when it happens to put down under the keyboard on the desk magically appear 4 or 5 little hills of ash

I agree that, with his attention which now seems finally focused in the DEI, it's the PERFECT time to attack in the Gilberts!...do you have any CV left in CENTPAC or they're all in I.O.? Cause i think a couple of Netties daitais could be waiting for you at Wotje and without any air cover they could hurt you quite a bit...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1158
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 1:46:51 PM   
Miller

Its a pity CheZ no longer updates his AAR, would be interesting to know how he was going to try and pull this game round......

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1159
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 2:20:06 PM   
Canoerebel

5/9/42

Singapore:  A month ago, an Allied CL/DD force caught unprotected Japanese shipping at Singapore and sank perhaps 20 to 30 merchants.  You knew Chez would never allow that to happen again, but it did...almost.  The same CL/DD force left the same port on the same mission and caugh dozens of merchants unprotected (confirming a hunch that the combat TF recently sighted enroute to Rangoon was the only one operating in the area).  The CL/DD force tangled with a sub, sank it, and then fought with about five large merchant TFs.  For some reason, the action was fairly light, with the Allies sinking at least one PB and one xAK and damaging another PB and at least two more xAK.  The enemy force included CS Chitose, a CL or two, and several DDs.  Surely Chez has learned a lesson this time?

Bay of Bengal:  My FT force is in position seven hexes due south of Moulmein, but I don't think my recon flew yesterday.  I don't show any detection level for Moulmein.  I have a hunch it's vacant, but I'm not positive.  Do I pull the trigger, or do I wait one more day (my TF wasn't detected) and add another recon squadron to the mix (this one operating out of a better supplied base?  I haven't issued the orders yet...but I think I'll give it one more day.

DEI:  Suddenly no major activity around Java, plus no signs of the KB.  The Allied carriers and BB TFs are in place just NE of Cocos Island, where they'll remain a few more days "just in case."  A base force is unloading at Cocos Island.  The last big CD unit (American) is inbound for Benkolen.  I'm weighing whether it can be best used there (probably) or at Cocos, which will be invaded eventually.

China:  The Chinese troops are reorganizing before looking for the next battle.  There is one obvious opportunity across the river from Loyang, but I feel sure Steve will evacuate his vulnerable force.  Nevertheless, the Chinese will take a shot.

CenPac:  Oops, one of the two big Tarawa invasion TFs wasn't given destination orders, so didn't depart San Diego yesterday.  I think Tarawa is lightly held, though I can't be certain since Steve probably has plenty of troops to disperse around the map.  I may try a little pre-invasion with a 100%-prepped Marine unit and 100%-prepped tank unit currently at Hawaii.  This force could go in a day or two early.  If Tarawa was weakly defended, that would save the use of the bigger force including 32nd Div.  On the other hand, if it were more strongly held, I could promplty land the remainder.  I like that idea.

Pago Pago:  Lead element of the relief force might be just three days out.  I've detached two loaded DMs to lay a minefield there.  ETA two days.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 1160
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 2:43:49 PM   
Canoerebel

I came very close to clicking the button to send the FT TF into Moulmein tonight as I'm nearly positive it's vacant and that landing there will cause much consternation in the enemy camp.  What swayed my ultimate decision not to is to give it one more day, not only to orchestrate a reliable recon mission, but to allow the slower troop transports another day to draw closer.  As soon as the Allied take Moulmein (airfield level four), I would transport base force personel in along with fighters.  This would allow the Allies to unload 27th Div. and the other ground units under CAP.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1161
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 4:55:04 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy
I agree that, with his attention which now seems finally focused in the DEI, it's the PERFECT time to attack in the Gilberts!...do you have any CV left in CENTPAC or they're all in I.O.? Cause i think a couple of Netties daitais could be waiting for you at Wotje and without any air cover they could hurt you quite a bit...

No Allied carriers in the Pacific right now. The Allies will do a bit of sniffing around, but if things are as I suspect in the Gilberts, I can almost guarantee you that the Allied invasion will succeed even if there are Netties at Wotje. The Allies can usually slip up on a remote base and get suprisingly close before the enemy alarm's sound. I don't think Steve has any suspicions about the Gilberts, so I doubt he'll be on guard. Of course, enemy subs or patrols could change the equation between now and D-Day. Also, the Allies will use some float aircraft for recon a day or two prior to D-Day. If, against all odds, Tarawa is strongly garrisoned, I would scrub the mission. But with the equivalent of two divisions available, the Allies will be armed to the teeth.

quote:

Its a pity CheZ no longer updates his AAR, would be interesting to know how he was going to try and pull this game round......

I wish so too.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1162
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 8:52:49 PM   
Canoerebel

5/10/42

Things are getting very, very intersting.  Alot could happen over the next few turns, and a few are guaranteed to happen.

DEI:  Once again there is alot of Japanese shipping and activity around eastern Java.  No sign of carriers, but there's a large combat TF (reported 2 CS, 4 CA, 4 DD) on a SW heading nearing Denpassar.  Also, three TBs that appear to be scouts neared Tjilitjap on the south coast.  The Allied carrierers and three BB TFs are very close - just south of Christmas Island.  If the enemy comes, the Allies will be there to meet them.

Bay of Bengal:  Recon reports Moulmein vacant (with 7/8 detection, the report is reliable).  The fast transport TF goes in tonight.  The Allies have loaded up airfields with recon squadrons to light up the area tomorrow - Bangkok, Moulmein, Meikteila, Pegu, and a base south of Tavoy will be looked at.  This ought to get Steve's full attention.  The Allied troop transports are nearing the north cape of Great Andaman Island, so they could reach Moulmein in as little as three days (maybe two).  Recon reports just four units at Rangoon, where there were six two days ago.  I think Steve sent the others out as reinforcements - but he guessed wrong.  He sent them NW towards Mandalay, methinks, rather than SE to Moulmein.  I think this is going to be fun.

China:  Allied stacks are moving to the hex north of Loyang and to the hex northeast of Changsha.  These will be the next possible actions.

NoPac:  Lots of enemy ativity, but no big moves yet.

CenPac:  All Allied troop transport TFs are at sea.  Transports are also prepositioned at two ports east of Pearl to handle a Marine RCT and a tank battalion 100% prepped for Tarawa.  I'm guessing D-Day could take place in about a month, allowing for the transports to unload at Pearl, combat load, and make for the beaches.

SoPac:  Several Allied TFs drawing very close to Pago Pago wihdrew under threat from an unidentified source and direction.  I don't know what's up, because Allied patrols from nearby Savaii don't show any ships in the area (but you know how reliable patrols are).  I'm backing my ships off a little until the nature of the threat is pinned down.  It's got to be carriers or combat ships.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1163
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/9/2011 11:36:23 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

LOL...i regularly do that...usually with coffea and ash... i tend to write with a mug of coffea in my left hand and a sigarette between my left-hand fingers... when it happens to put down under the keyboard on the desk magically appear 4 or 5 little hills of ash

I was a project manager on a big 911 call center job a couple of years back. We ordered a ton of spare keyboards because the fire department dispatchers are always eating and drinking at their stations. Average life of a keyboard is about 6 months because of all the stuff they spill in them. They're not supposed to eat at their stations but you try telling them that.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1164
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 12:55:27 AM   
ny59giants

Do you have a big enough AF that can hold B-17s and still be able to reach Bangkok?? It would be a good target to hit after your landing.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1165
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 12:49:25 PM   
Canoerebel

5/11/42

Dueling fast transport invasions with a heck of alot of tension building....

Moulmein:  The Allied FT convoys lands a U.S. Army battalion at this vacant base.  The battalion is weak, but the base will fall unless Steve air transports in reinforcements.  If the base falls, the Allies will move fighters in and then land the major reinforcements.  Since the base will fall first, though, Steve won't really know what the reinforcements are.  I don't think Rangoon has the supply to handle major enemy air ops.  Bangkok is a concern, but Steve may have a high priority need for aircraft down south.

Java:  A large group of ships escorts a landing, probably fast transport in part, at Loemadjang on the eastern coast of Java.  This includes 4th Div., which SigInt reported at Bataan just a few days ago.  The Allied carriers are only about 15 hexes to the south.  So, do I keep them hidden to respond to what seems to be a developing situation in the southern South China Sea (see below), or do I reveal them to take a whack at what looks like a pretty strong combat TF escort at Loemadjang?  I'm leaning towards the latter, but I'm still mulling it over.

South China Sea:  A major concentration of enemy carriers in multiple TFs suddenly "bloom" (four TF icons in a single hex) north of Singapore about eight hexes.  This major concentration has to be protecting troop transports of some kind.  He doesn't need carrier CAP to get ships to Singapore, so this has some other purpose - could be an invasion of Sumatra, western Java, or possibly even a push into the Bay of Bengal.  As you can imagine, I'll carefully watch where this group goes.

SoPac:  My ships are still backing off Pago Pago despite no clearly identified threat.  I've reissued orders to "direct" and "absolute," with a two-CA combat TF to go into Pago Pago tonight to provide protection.  The Allies are keeping track of a bright red TF icon moving east from the vicinity of Luganville:  possibly more enemy troops coming to PP.  My reinforcements are all now one or two days out.  I very much want to land them and bug out ASAP, but I'm not sure the computer will allow me to do so.

CenPac:  Tarawa airfield just went to level two, which is a disappointing development.  I don't mind going up against an isolated level two airfield, but I'll have to recon the base thoroughly prior to D-Day to make sure an enemy divisions isn't waiting on the shores.

Summary:  Where everything felt right yesterday, like a wonderfully coordinated plan coming together, today is filled with forebodings and ominous developments.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 7/10/2011 12:51:03 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1166
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 2:00:30 PM   
Nemo121

Back in the day Subutai would always take up position on a hill overlooking the battlefield with his signallers ( flags ) with his reserve held in close proximity to his position - often out of sight of the battlefield ( a full defilade position ). He would issue orders to counter enemy movements from that position. He was a masterful commander who used feigned retreats and trap-like escape routes for encircled enemies to win battles at far less cost than would otherwise have occured. His conduct of the campaign against Poland and Hungary resulting in the destruction of both national armies within a day of eachother is textbook ---- and Britain would have done a lot better in the desert vs Rommel if they'd read as much about Subutai as he obviously had.

Anyways his KEY tactical decision was always when to commit his main reserve. He had a simple rule, to commit his reserve after the enemy committed theirs. It is a simple rule but, throughout history, if you do nothing else but look at which side committed their reserve first you'll have a very high success rate in picking which side won. The side which commits the reserve first tends to lose.

It is unfortunate that you committed to Moulmein just prior to the appearance of what seems to be a major enemy invasion force. That falls under the "Sh*t happens" situation. Now, however, you have the option of committing your CVs but you need to be careful to either:
1. commit your CVs only to a quick strike vs uncapped amphibious TFs. - This strike won't use up your CVs' combat capability.

2. or only commit your CVs to a battle which will use up their combat power AFTER you are sure the enemy is fully committed.

If you are SURE you can get in and out without tangling with his CVs I'd be in favour of hitting the landing in Java but you have to be really, really sure to preserve your combat power if you do that.... I'd suggest multiple sweeps by land-based air before the CV air comes into play in order to wear down the CAP and maximally preserve your CV strike groups for, later, decisive action vs the main enemy landing. I'd avoid tangling with the enemy CVs at pretty much all costs though.... There's simply no need for your CVs to tangle with his CVs, you need to kill his ability to engineer a multi-division amphibious landing, not his CVs.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1167
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 3:19:13 PM   
princep01

or perhaps stage the CV air into the larger Java AFs and strike the TF headed for Java from land bases with really good pilots/planes. The CV munitions are thusly conserved and you get a crack (or two) at the enemy with a decisive weapon. The actual CVs can maintain position at a safe distance and the planes returned to their decks after the enemy TF is mauled if desired. The landing at Java may be a feint, but it appears to be a substantial one. The loss of the TF would be painful to the already bloodied IJN.

Now, I ask myself....princep, is this commiting the reserve to quickly? Are you chasing poisoned pawns? Would Subutai, frown and wave his index finger at me menacingly? I pondered....and decided, no, the reserve would be committed only in so far as it would be positioned to both destroy the Java TF, while remaining a viable reserve to take on the on coming "other" TF with the massed CVs if I wished.

As to the Moulein operation, I see little to argue against what you are doing. It is not an operation that is going to seriously hurt your cause even it it results in disaster to the unit(s) currently commited to it. It is one of those spoiling attacks that serves to either upset the already confused mind set of the enemy (say causing him to weaken an effort at Palembang by force dispersion) or which serves as a toe hold to be expanded into something larger should the enemy concentrate elsewhere. I would continue to purse it and see what reaction it draws from your opponent. Frankly, this operation has the potential to trap a significant numer of LCUs and liberate all of Burma if it can be expanded without major intervention from the LYBs. I suspect the units placed at Moulein will soon be facing a stampede of lowing, jostling, wild-eyed LYBs running for their lives.

Bill Halsey would clap you (hard) on the back and have some ribald comment for you and the press. Spruance would gaze at you with a studious look, a wry smile on his countenance and offer a hand shake. Cpt Nemo might even surface long enough to send a congratulatory message:).

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1168
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 3:49:16 PM   
vettim89

I suggest you harken back to your time playing John3 in Forlorn Hopes. As a reader of both AAR's, I can tell you there were times when both of you had concerns about threats that were not real. Second I would add that there were times when both of you ignored threats that were real. I say that only to point out that you need to consider what Steve is thinking right now. You say that Moulmein seemed like a good idea until yesterdays developments; consider Steve is probably thinking he had everything in place for the big push and now he too is facing an unexpected threat.

My thinking is this: your opponent is obviously about to start a major op. He likley has positioned as much as possible to support that move. Now is exactly the time to strike elsewhere. It will either force him to reposition units he needs for his current operation or cause him to accept that he can do nothing about your present counterattacks. He may be forced to accept set backs at PP and/or Moulmein thinking he can deal with those after the present operation is concluded. If you act decisively in the PP and Moulmein ops (especially Moulmein), you may be able to permanently affect the game in those areas. Go bold or go home.

As to your carriers, is your desire for them to engage the IJN CV fleet? If not, then send them east to interfere with the Java landing. Why not let his CVTF impale themselves against your LBA on Sumatra first? Then if they are weakened, you can move in. In fact, I think hitting the Java landing is exactly what you should do along with hitting PP and going all in at Moulmein. Put Steve's head on a swivel: not knowing where the next strike will come from

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1169
RE: Das darf nicht var sein! - 7/10/2011 4:51:58 PM   
madflava13

Let him impale his CVs on your air units on Sumatra, then move your CVs in for the kill of KB once their CAP is depleted. Otherwise, stay mobile and stealthy.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Das darf nicht var sein! Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI