Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's your WAW weakness?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's your WAW weakness? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's your WAW weakness? - 10/13/2002 11:50:15 AM   
Ograbme

C'mon, nobody's perfect let's hear it.

I tend to over-react. If see more than one squad, I assume I've found their main thrust and direct every arty piece and reserve I have at the poor guys.

My impatience leads me to cheat in solitary. On the first turn, I move eveything as far as I can until they get blown up. I make note of anthing I stumbled onto, exit, and reload the scenario :(

You?

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Oh! This cursed Ograbme
Post #: 1
- 10/13/2002 12:21:27 PM   
Supervisor

I tend to rush in to quickly, I'm not a very patient person when it comes to battle.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2002 4:50:44 PM   
Belisarius

I tend to be over-cautious, especially when it comes to my tanks. When I spot enemy armor, it takes me forever to dare venture out in that area. Which only helps the enemy.

Got StuG?

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 3
- 10/13/2002 5:14:54 PM   
Jacc

I keep too little in reserves. Usually I make the main strike immediately. I also often have very misanthropic view on my soldiers - "you are meant to fight and die, so do it, no matter whether it helps us or not". :)

Pain is for the weak.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 4
- 10/13/2002 8:16:23 PM   
Irinami

I have little concept of reserves (ages of Koei games will do that to you (their one downfall), but it's getting better since SPWAW has suppression), and my tanks don't want to wait for the legs. "Aww, but they're not going to assault us in the smoke and trees like they have the other six thousand times! Let's just roll right in there!" Baka baka.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 5
- 10/13/2002 10:37:24 PM   
Katana

Taking that last shot, while you should be pulling back into cover.
Getting scouts killed by putting them in harms' way.

FABRICATE DIEM, PVNC

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 6
- 10/14/2002 12:36:36 AM   
Hades

I rarely think ahead, and I always rush the high ground. I also need to think work on my flanking attacks.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 7
- 10/14/2002 2:32:22 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]I tend to be over-cautious, especially when it comes to my tanks. When I spot enemy armor, it takes me forever to dare venture out in that area. Which only helps the enemy. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have this problem too. Sometimes I end up going sooo slowly, I lose the game for lack of obtaining the objectives.

I also get too wrapped up in 'bring back the boys, alive' mode. I've got to remember that if you're going to make an omlette, you've got to break a few eggs. :cool:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 8
- 10/14/2002 5:08:32 AM   
Redleg

I always play with op-fire turned off so I can wander around while the AI does its thing. If there is a lot of artillery, it is a good time to go fill up my coffee cup. Costs me points, I know.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 9
- 10/14/2002 7:20:41 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

My big weakness, hmmmmm never wondering why the first shot didn't kill the target.

Never questioning the game. Never worrying if the design sucks.

If it ain't dead shoot it again. Or three times, 4 times 5 times, boooom that go it.

Always assuming I am going to win heheh.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 10
- 10/14/2002 2:30:46 PM   
VikingNo2

Playing to many games at once and mixing up the tactics of who I am playing against

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 11
- 10/14/2002 6:56:31 PM   
sandman20

I'm not very cautious with my tanks and very often I have a half of my tanks destroyed while my opponent have only lost couple of tanks.:D
I take the stupid aims sometimes and I don't give up until it is finished....So, we all need to develop ourselves:)

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 12
- 10/14/2002 7:27:05 PM   
JediMessiah

in addition to being overaggressive, and not caring if troops buy it (especially recon vehicles) i have a tendency to not bring enough (im working on it)....a lone tank or even 2 with support units is usually just gonna find its way into trouble

-jedimessiah

"Karate means never having to say you're sorry"
-E. Andrew Kovich

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 13
Well mine would have to be. - 10/14/2002 7:41:15 PM   
Gary Tatro

VikingNo2 :)

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 14
- 10/14/2002 10:44:56 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JediMessiah
[B]in addition to being overaggressive, and not caring if troops buy it (especially recon vehicles) i have a tendency to not bring enough (im working on it)....a lone tank or even 2 with support units is usually just gonna find its way into trouble

-jedimessiah [/B][/QUOTE]

Heh heh you certainly have overcome it in our game. :D :D

Got StuG?

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 15
- 10/15/2002 1:16:50 AM   
tracer

Committing too many units to one target, even to the point of pulling them from other missions. It happened again in a PBEM turn last night: one of my PzIII's finds a suppressed T-34 and fires all its shots, causing no damage. After bringing another PzIII up with the same result I'm now [I]determined[/I] to kill it so I move a couple more AFV's, which were supporting a separate attack, over to engage the T-34. Kind of like 'throwing good money after bad' since I only managed to immobilized it. :D

Another is what Katana mentioned: taking that 'last shot' instead of moving the unit back into cover...even worse is when that shot triggers an op-fire! :eek:

Jim NSB

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 16
- 10/15/2002 2:12:57 AM   
nelmsm1

Well I will know what to look for now if I find I have an immobilized T-34. :D

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 17
I have no weaknesses ... - 10/15/2002 3:14:20 AM   
challenge

...:rolleyes:

But I have a lot of bad habbits I'm trying to break. I tend to leave my on-board artillery in one spot, one turn too long. I fire the last shots instead of pulling units back. I walk into positions I know are clear and watch as a dozen units pound the daylights out of the squad.

There are more, but I'm working on them. Soon I will make no mistakes, but I will have that one bad habit I didn't think about when I wrote this...

:( :D :mad:

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 18
- 10/15/2002 4:41:18 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelmsm
[B]Well I will know what to look for now if I find I have an immobilized T-34. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ummm...I was referring to [I]another[/I] battle involving T-34's and PzIII's :D

Jim NSB

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 19
My bad habits - 10/15/2002 7:47:28 AM   
stevemk1a

I find in the course of pbem games I tend to overestimate the amount of enemy forces I have killed and underestimate my own losses ... this combined with my tendency to "borrow" stuff from my reserves leads to problems in longer games ... especially since I (as others have also mentioned) sometimes get carried away trying to kill that one AFV and pile too many units into a bad situation. Before I know it, I'm short of forces and calling for reinforcements!! I'll have to start listing my own and enemy losses and use more discipline and less emotion when playing... :D

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 20
- 10/16/2002 9:04:18 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I'm still shaky on how to properly utilize infantry units. Either I rush them up too fast, and they get shot to pieces, or I let them lag behind the AFVs, and the AFVs get shot to pieces.

I also get upset when I run out of coffee. (Does that count?):D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 21
- 10/16/2002 9:34:39 AM   
Irinami

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AbsntMndedProf
[B]I'm still shaky on how to properly utilize infantry units. Either I rush them up too fast, and they get shot to pieces, or I let them lag behind the AFVs, and the AFVs get shot to pieces.
[/B][/QUOTE]

That can be a real problem. I've found that so far, a Blitzkrieg tactic has to be applied: Use your armour to poke a hole in the enemy.* This hole can be destroyed units or just suppressed units. Poke a couple holes (or a hole and a potential one), and focus your infantry on one.

*=This can also be done with smoke from arty or other units (or via arty suppression). Actually, in the small Anna's War, I used my most useless infantry units to cross a bridge and punch this hole. As SOON as they were shot upon, they popped smoke, and if in good enough condition moved forward again to pop smoke.

Alas, sometimes good men have to die lest even more pay that price.

[QUOTE][B]
I also get upset when I run out of coffee. (Does that count?):D
/B][/QUOTE]

YES!! :mad: :mad: It happens to me all the time, that or I have to take a leak... RIGHT during the enemy's phase, so I either hold it uncomfortably or take a leak and miss opfires. (No, I don't like turning confirm off.)

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 22
- 10/16/2002 10:32:43 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Irinami posted:

"that or I have to take a leak... RIGHT during the enemy's phase, so I either hold it uncomfortably or take a leak and miss opfires. (No, I don't like turning confirm off.)"

Been there, done that! :D

Eric Maietta

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 23
- 10/16/2002 10:49:58 AM   
nelmsm1

I keep playing against Tracer. Is that a weakness or just stupidity???

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 24
- 10/16/2002 1:03:45 PM   
ananias

I take unnecessary risks. "Well, I´m sure they can´t hit my firefly if I move it just a lit-BOOM. Daaamn. Uh, when was the last time I saved? During the deployment? Great, forget it. I´ll just go play solitaire or minesweeper."

That, plus I use the infantries of every nation like the red army used it´s.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 25
- 10/18/2002 12:09:30 AM   
OKW-73

Sometimes im underestimating enemy too much, but mostly it happens with AI in MC's...call it bravery or stupidity ;)

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 26
- 10/18/2002 7:26:18 AM   
tracer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nelmsm
[B]I keep playing against Tracer. Is that a weakness or just stupidity??? [/B][/QUOTE]

I think this battle may be my 'Stalingrad'; kind of an ominous statement considering the weather and countries involved.

Jim NSB

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 27
- 10/19/2002 12:01:37 AM   
Svennemir

I'm sometimes suffering from artillerphobia. I don't know whether this is bad or actually good.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 28
- 10/19/2002 4:20:26 PM   
Karnaaj

"Reserves? Naw, just park everything up at the Main Line of Resistance/Start Line, y'know, just as close to No Man's Land as possible. Yeah, heavy on the tanks. Elevation, m'boy, elevation... hilltop JagdPanthers can reach *waaaaay* out. Cool, lotsa big guns to hash the enemy tracks, a few grunts to discourage infiltrators, and some artillery to strip infantry."

1) "Uh-oh. Raining? Night? And I'm defending against a Red Army assault? Oh $#!+, this is gonna hurt..."

2) "Air attack? Rockets and napalm? Ow, ow, ow, my butt hurts..."

(Actually pulled a Marginal out of that first one; if I'd not bought up some more Tigers as reinforcements, I'd've been catfood. The second one was *ugly*. I tend to leave ammo: unlimited when I'm just screwing around. If I recall aright, I had a Crash To Desktop before the third turn, so I didn't get to watch my entire force barbeque and/or run for the border.)

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 29
- 10/22/2002 7:51:49 PM   
challenge

Since this thread started I've been watching my play a bit more to notice those bad habits...

I don't back away when the odds are buiilding against me. I have the "Klingon last man" syndrom -- defeat is honorable, retreat is not. I am working on that one to find an effective way of pulling out without losing more than I can afford.

I rush in where angels won't even look. Costs me a few units up front and then I dig in.... see above.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Ograbme)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's your WAW weakness? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI