Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Calling all programmers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Calling all programmers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 4:23:08 PM   
Rood

I guess the Reserved numbers can be used to add new units. So maybe they should not be shown but you could add an option to add new units and save them with the first available free ID.

I'm not sure you can save a new unit anywhere in the file, it looks like the units are grouped by (not sorted) flag.
For example after all units with 0 (Germany) you will not find a unit with flag 0 anywhere else in the list.

And speaking of flags, would be nice to be able to filter the unit list by country list aswell.

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 31
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 8:05:17 PM   
GaryChildress

That's a good question Mark. Does anyone know the significance of the "reserved" spaces in the unit list? Are they hard coded for something? When we add a new unit do we add it where it says "reserved" or do we need to create a new line at the end of the list? If we use a reserved slot will it mess up something?

EDIT: The editor looks great! I can't wait to start using it!

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 7/30/2011 8:08:15 PM >

(in reply to Rood)
Post #: 32
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 8:22:04 PM   
VPaulus

I've already asked Kerensky, I hope he can post it here.

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 33
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 9:56:02 PM   
KerenskyLI

tst 2

Does this forum not have a delete post option?

I assume I have to have a minimum amount of posts before my avatar shows up too?

< Message edited by KerenskyLI -- 7/30/2011 10:11:49 PM >

Post #: 34
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 10:05:12 PM   
KerenskyLI

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

That's a good question Mark. Does anyone know the significance of the "reserved" spaces in the unit list? Are they hard coded for something? When we add a new unit do we add it where it says "reserved" or do we need to create a new line at the end of the list? If we use a reserved slot will it mess up something?

Affects the order in which units are displayed in both the purchase menu and scenario editor side panel.
You can either overwrite a reserved slot or add slots at the bottom of the file.

If you add:

1505 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI
1506 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI
1507 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI

To the bottom of the equipment file, you will see in game three Panzer IA have been added to the equipment list in the scenario editor (way down at the bottom), as well as in game in the purchase menu (after all other tanks have been listed).

Post #: 35
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/30/2011 10:51:41 PM   
mgarnett

quote:

ORIGINAL: KerenskyLI

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Affects the order in which units are displayed in both the purchase menu and scenario editor side panel.
You can either overwrite a reserved slot or add slots at the bottom of the file.

If you add:

1505 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI
1506 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI
1507 Panzer IA 1 107 4 36 5 2 0 2 1 1 0 1 6 7 2 1 0 Panzer_IA.png 01.01.1939 01.01.1943 0 Panzer I Ausf. A rott PzI

To the bottom of the equipment file, you will see in game three Panzer IA have been added to the equipment list in the scenario editor (way down at the bottom), as well as in game in the purchase menu (after all other tanks have been listed).

OK, it looks like I should be including the "Reserved" entries then and also that I need to add a function to add a new Unit ID to the equipment list at the end in case the modder want to add completely new equipment and does not want to use the "Reserved" slots.

Another thought, I should also add a "Find", "Find Next" and "Find Prev" function so you can search through the list for a specific entry.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to KerenskyLI)
Post #: 36
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/31/2011 1:30:48 PM   
mgarnett

Hi Guys,

I have a query about some of the entries in the database.  Some entries have a unit ID that starts with the "#" symbol such as:

#830    Bf-109E                          
#831    Hurricane I

Does this symbol have the effect of commenting out those database entries or does it have another meaning.  I just though it strange that you would have "holes" in your unit ID numbers, where in all other cases the word "Reserved" is used instead.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 37
RE: Calling all programmers - 7/31/2011 2:15:04 PM   
Rood

You can skip all lines with the # symbol.
It is meant as a comment. Used in many other files aswell.

For example there's a Bf 109E (ID 125) and a Bf-109E (ID 830). The one with ID 830 is preceded by the # and is not read by the game when you buy units.

There's also a Bf 109E with ID 1400 and it's identical to the one with ID 125 but with a different flag.

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 38
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/1/2011 11:52:14 AM   
mgarnett

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rood

You can skip all lines with the # symbol.
It is meant as a comment. Used in many other files aswell.

For example there's a Bf 109E (ID 125) and a Bf-109E (ID 830). The one with ID 830 is preceded by the # and is not read by the game when you buy units.

There's also a Bf 109E with ID 1400 and it's identical to the one with ID 125 but with a different flag.

Thanks Rood

(in reply to Rood)
Post #: 39
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/1/2011 11:56:08 AM   
mgarnett

Hi All,

A small update. The editor is coming along nicely, I've implemented loading, saving and editing of the equipment file including adding adding additional entries and modifying existing entries. The main things left to do now are implementing the ability to run queries across the database and lastly, implementing the view filters.

Once this is done I'll make a beta version available for download so you can test it. I'm sure there will be bugs and other requested changes but I'll fix up any bugs and implement changes as soon as they get reported.

I'm still on track for the end of the week.

Cheers

Mark

Post #: 40
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/1/2011 2:12:59 PM   
Rood

Thanks for the update and your hard work .

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 41
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/1/2011 8:22:22 PM   
VPaulus

Thanks!

(in reply to Rood)
Post #: 42
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/2/2011 2:31:48 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: mgarnett

Hi All,

A small update. The editor is coming along nicely, I've implemented loading, saving and editing of the equipment file including adding adding additional entries and modifying existing entries. The main things left to do now are implementing the ability to run queries across the database and lastly, implementing the view filters.

Once this is done I'll make a beta version available for download so you can test it. I'm sure there will be bugs and other requested changes but I'll fix up any bugs and implement changes as soon as they get reported.

I'm still on track for the end of the week.

Cheers

Mark

Excellent! Can't wait!

Thanks again as well for all your work for the modding community!

< Message edited by Gary Childress -- 8/2/2011 2:32:04 AM >

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 43
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/2/2011 6:20:46 AM   
rezaf

Nice work, mgarnett.
One feature request, if you're willing to hear it: Could you directly allow the efx assignment from the equipment editor? Having to touch that file seperately is a hassle and easy to forget, especially for newbies, so it'd be splendid if your app took care of that step.

______
rezaf

Post #: 44
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/3/2011 4:53:29 AM   
mgarnett

quote:

ORIGINAL: rezaf

Nice work, mgarnett.
One feature request, if you're willing to hear it: Could you directly allow the efx assignment from the equipment editor? Having to touch that file seperately is a hassle and easy to forget, especially for newbies, so it'd be splendid if your app took care of that step.

Hi rezaf,

Not a problem. Can you let me know what you mean though, I've never modded this game so I'm not quite sure what your referring to.

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to rezaf)
Post #: 45
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/3/2011 6:25:40 AM   
rezaf

quote:

Can you let me know what you mean though, I've never modded this game so I'm not quite sure what your referring to.

Ah, ok.
When you add a new unit or edit an existing one to have a different icon or class, chances are you need to modify the combat animations.
There's a file in the Graphics subfolder (I'm not at my gaming rig, so I can't look it up, but it's easy to find) called efx (using some custom ending, like the equipment file) which defines what you see and hear when a unit fires. It basically defines what kind of attack you see (machine gun, heavy artillery, AT gun, torpedo ... whatever), where the muzzle flashes are located and also what sounds you hear.
If you fail to modify this setting while, say adding a new battleship, it'll show no attack at all, just a generic explosion sound when it has damaged another unit. When you edit a Infantry unit to be a battleship, the battleship will still show the machine-gun attack that was defined for the infantry unit.
So it'd be nice if an equipment editor took care of that additional step.

Thanks for considering the feature, I hope I made clear what I had in mind now.

______
rezaf

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 46
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/3/2011 8:49:24 AM   
BriteLite

rezaf, The file is named efx.pzdat
First line is for notation only "# This file is used to assign various effects to units"

And a BIG thanks to mgarnett for his work.

< Message edited by BriteLite -- 8/3/2011 8:50:47 AM >

(in reply to rezaf)
Post #: 47
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/3/2011 2:52:34 PM   
mgarnett

quote:

ORIGINAL: rezaf

quote:

Can you let me know what you mean though, I've never modded this game so I'm not quite sure what your referring to.

Ah, ok.
When you add a new unit or edit an existing one to have a different icon or class, chances are you need to modify the combat animations.
There's a file in the Graphics subfolder (I'm not at my gaming rig, so I can't look it up, but it's easy to find) called efx (using some custom ending, like the equipment file) which defines what you see and hear when a unit fires. It basically defines what kind of attack you see (machine gun, heavy artillery, AT gun, torpedo ... whatever), where the muzzle flashes are located and also what sounds you hear.
If you fail to modify this setting while, say adding a new battleship, it'll show no attack at all, just a generic explosion sound when it has damaged another unit. When you edit a Infantry unit to be a battleship, the battleship will still show the machine-gun attack that was defined for the infantry unit.
So it'd be nice if an equipment editor took care of that additional step.

Thanks for considering the feature, I hope I made clear what I had in mind now.

Thanks for that, I'll look to add that functionality to the beta version ASAP.

I do have one other question, what are the "remove traits" and "add traits" values. I couldn't find a reference to them in the scenario editor manual.

By way of update, I'm pretty much finished apart from this addition and the unit comparison feature. I've added the ability to filter based on all of the different unit types in the game as well as adding a text search function so that you can serch for units with specific names. For example, you could enter "gren" to search for all "Grenadier" units.

I've also added the ability to right click on a unit in the equipment list and delete the entry from the database. You can also add new units based on the currently edited values. I also have a "Replace" function, where you can replace a currently existing unit's values with new values.

Filtering works, saving and editing is now functional so it's just these last few additions and then it should be good for its first test run.

Once the first version is working, I'll look to start adding some more filtering functions, for example by country.....actually I could probably do this now without too much delay, I'll see how I go.

Cheers

Mark

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rezaf)
Post #: 48
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/6/2011 5:32:44 AM   
flybynight

mgarnett

Are you willing to share your projects code? Also have you had a chance to play with WPF yet?
A WPF app here might work great!

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 49
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/6/2011 7:51:59 AM   
mgarnett

quote:

ORIGINAL: flybynight

mgarnett

Are you willing to share your projects code? Also have you had a chance to play with WPF yet?
A WPF app here might work great!

Hi flybynight

More than happy to release the code. Once I get any bugs sorted and add in a few little more bits and pieces I'll post the code. I'm a Delphi programmer, but I wanted teach myself C# and used this project as a start, so don't expect it to look pretty!

Cheers

Mark

(in reply to flybynight)
Post #: 50
RE: Calling all programmers - 8/6/2011 7:20:40 PM   
flybynight

quote:

Hi flybynight

More than happy to release the code. Once I get any bugs sorted and add in a few little more bits and pieces I'll post the code. I'm a Delphi programmer, but I wanted teach myself C# and used this project as a start, so don't expect it to look pretty!

Cheers

Mark

Well not sure how your code looks, but your winforms rock
And you are adding comments right?? :-)
And just in case you don't know.. you can do /// above a function, method..etc. and it will build a "summary" for you

something like this
/// <summary>
/// This function does something here
/// </summary>

(in reply to mgarnett)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Calling all programmers Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI