Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  841 842 [843] 844 845   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2011 10:34:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: seii taishôgun

Ahhhh

Warspite1

Not sure what that picture is about, but reminds me of women at the New Year sales in London's Regent Street.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to seii taishôgun)
Post #: 25261
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2011 10:35:44 PM   
warspite1

Ohhh... and I do believe its a New Year Sales UNP

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25262
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/6/2011 11:13:14 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Ahhhh

Warspite1

Not sure what that picture is about, but reminds me of women at the New Year sales in London's Regent Street.....

Looks like one of the Total War games. I routinely green button people when their sig images get that big; it mucks up the bandwith for the rest of us.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25263
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 1:40:51 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

Ahhhh

Warspite1

This is a "tax free shopping weekend" in North Carolina. I'm very glad I'm out of the country!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25264
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:00:44 AM   
seii taishôgun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

Ahhhh

Warspite1

Looks like one of the Total War games. I routinely green button people when their sig images get that big; it mucks up the bandwith for the rest of us.

I was just learning how to post a pic in my signiture - no need to get your panties in a bunch... But I did trim down my barbarians-in-the-field picture in an attempt to stay "green" and reduce the muck in your bandwidth.

btw - what does "green button people" mean? I'm unfamiliar with that slang and nothing came up when I googled it...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=green+button+people

< Message edited by seii taishôgun -- 8/7/2011 5:01:31 AM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25265
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:53:49 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 25266
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:54:34 AM   
warspite1

seii taishogun - the green button (located bottom left of every post) can be used by someone who does not want to read another person(s) posts - the green button can be used for any reason, but is usually used when said person has proved themselves to be a troll.

Never used it myself (though have considered its use many times!), but frankly, I would rather know what the people I would have used it on are saying.

(in reply to seii taishôgun)
Post #: 25267
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:58:01 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

Morning Leo. Bit of a strange weekend. No Formula 1 and the Premiership still tantalizingly a week away .

Mind you, I did tell myself I would not get to wrapped up in the footie this year - it only leads to disappointment (especially this year given Tottenham's opening half dozen fixtures) .

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25268
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:59:43 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Bit of a strange weekend. No Formula 1 and the Premiership still tantalizingly a week away .

Mind you, I did tell myself I would not get to wrapped up in the footie this year - it only leads to disappointment (especially this year given Tottenham's opening half dozen fixtures) .

Do you think that player's transfers are still possible / feasible during the rest of the August?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25269
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 9:09:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Bit of a strange weekend. No Formula 1 and the Premiership still tantalizingly a week away .

Do you think that player's transfers are still possible / feasible during the rest of the August?

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

There is always the possibility that the transfer window closing will be a damp squid with little further movement (like last winter's), but I believe that will not be the case. Despite the fact that the season will have already started, this is the BIG and importnant window. There is clearly less money around generally (despite Man City's millions) but there are a few key moves that need to slot into place and then I think we will see the usual mad rush at the end. Fabregas and (possibly) Nasri and Modric are key ones.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25270
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 9:25:17 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

There is always the possibility that the transfer window closing will be a damp squid with little further movement (like last winter's), but I believe that will not be the case. Despite the fact that the season will have already started, this is the BIG and importnant window. There is clearly less money around generally (despite Man City's millions) but there are a few key moves that need to slot into place and then I think we will see the usual mad rush at the end. Fabregas and (possibly) Nasri and Modric are key ones.

I think that Tottenham will do just fine even if Modric goes...

BTW, tho other Croatian players will most certainly stay - Kranjcar and Corluka...

Do you go to watch the games live sometimes?

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25271
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 10:32:34 AM   
Terminus

Tithe...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25272
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 1:44:30 PM   
Terminus

To my brothers of the British persuasion:

Why are your coins so confusing? There are far too many denominations, some of them surely worth less than it costs to make them, and they follow no logical pattern of size and shape. In the name of The Thread, WTF?????

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25273
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 1:53:20 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Why are your coins so confusing? There are far too many denominations, some of them surely worth less than it costs to make them, and they follow no logical pattern of size and shape. In the name of The Thread, WTF?????

It confuses foreigners. It can't be that hard can it? They've got numbers stamped on them after all.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 25274
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 2:27:54 PM   
USSAmerica

Long morning beach walk - Tithe. 

Mike

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 25275
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 2:34:24 PM   
vonTirpitz

Wouldn't happen to be on one the fine beaches here in North Carolina? Such fine sunrises to witness. Enjoy yourself no matter which beach it is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 25276
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 4:59:01 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

It confuses foreigners. It can't be that hard can it? They've got numbers stamped on them after all.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 25277
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:01:50 PM   
BrucePowers

I sort of agree with T. When I pulled coins out of my pocket while in the UK I was never sure of what I had because there were so many different denominations. I really like your 2 pound coin. It has a nice weight and is a cool design.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 25278
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:09:46 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonTirpitz

Wouldn't happen to be on one the fine beaches here in North Carolina? Such fine sunrises to witness. Enjoy yourself no matter which beach it is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Not this time. We're on vacation in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Mike

(in reply to vonTirpitz)
Post #: 25279
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:22:51 PM   
Chickenboy

And then there were none....

I adopted a kitten from our school's Orphan Kitten Project in 1992. Golem was a little 6 week-old tortoise kitten who had been abandoned by her mother. Golem's sister (another tortoise female) didn't last long due to bladder and kidney issues. Golem was a very affectionate kitten, considering that she was an orphan kitten (!) and a tortoise (!!) as well. I kept her for 19 years.

She had been battling hyperthyroidism and lower urinary tract disease for more than a year. This morning I awoke to find her basically decerebrate-staring blankly at her water dish, with no interest in food or water. She was staggering around a bit and had difficulty with her balance. She had been losing some weight, but I thought that had hit a plateau and was at least stable. Old cats that chronically compensate will frequently crash and burn very quickly. They've used up their body stores and their ability to fend off fate. Golem was crashing.

I brought her in to the University this morning for humane euthanasia. I insisted that they assign a first year intern and any emergency students to the case. At least Golem could provide some 'teachable moments' for someone in her last moments on Earth. They placed a femoral catheter and brought me to a nice 'comfy' room with calm and relaxed decor. Golem looked around a bit, but I mostly just used the time to say goodbye and keep her calm.

In the end, she flinched a bit with the administration of the pentobarbitol, but then relaxed. Once again, her coat was smooth, she was relaxed and all was well. I stayed there stroking her for 20 minutes or so before she was taken. I cried a little, thinking of all that we had been through together.

They cast a paw print with a tuft of hair as a keepsake for animals euthanized at the hospital. It's a nice touch. I insisted that she be necropsied-one last opportunity for students on pathology rounds in the diagnostic lab to benefit and learn.

When my wife and I combined households, we had five cats, a dog and two birds. Now, there are none.

Post #: 25280
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:23:58 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I sort of agree with T. When I pulled coins out of my pocket while in the UK I was never sure of what I had because there were so many different denominations. I really like your 2 pound coin. It has a nice weight and is a cool design.

Try carrying a pocket full of them! In a couple of days you'll no longer have a pocket!

One advantage to the coins difference in size and shape is that blind people have no problems with them (especially the 50p peice!). A blind classmate of mine in the UK pointed out that all British currency is "blind friendly" , unlike US currentcy.

My favorite British coin (which I'm not sure is still in circulation) was the "Half-penny" , which's sole mission in life seemed to have been to allow British merchants to round the tab up a penny.

Post #: 25281
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:31:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

I think that Tottenham will do just fine even if Modric goes...

BTW, tho other Croatian players will most certainly stay - Kranjcar and Corluka...

Do you go to watch the games live sometimes?

Leo "Apollo11"
Warspite1

Sometimes - I try to see them 3-4 times a year, but my efforts are hampered by two things: a) I live just about as far as its possible to get from Tottenham while still living in London! and b) having the family means the cost of a season ticket is probably a little too much

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25282
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:32:10 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Try carrying a pocket full of them! In a couple of days you'll no longer have a pocket!

One advantage to the coins difference in size and shape is that blind people have no problems with them (especially the 50p peice!). A blind classmate of mine in the UK pointed out that all British currency is "blind friendly" , unlike US currentcy.

My favorite British coin (which I'm not sure is still in circulation) was the "Half-penny" , which's sole mission in life seemed to have been to allow British merchants to round the tab up a penny.

Yeah I know they can get heavy. But I like them.

< Message edited by BrucePowers -- 8/7/2011 5:36:46 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 25283
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:33:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I adopted a kitten from our school's Orphan Kitten Project in 1992. Golem was a little 6 week-old tortoise kitten who had been abandoned by her mother. Golem's sister (another tortoise female) didn't last long due to bladder and kidney issues. Golem was a very affectionate kitten, considering that she was an orphan kitten (!) and a tortoise (!!) as well. I kept her for 19 years.

She had been battling hyperthyroidism and lower urinary tract disease for more than a year. This morning I awoke to find her basically decerebrate-staring blankly at her water dish, with no interest in food or water. She was staggering around a bit and had difficulty with her balance. She had been losing some weight, but I thought that had hit a plateau and was at least stable. Old cats that chronically compensate will frequently crash and burn very quickly. They've used up their body stores and their ability to fend off fate. Golem was crashing.

I brought her in to the University this morning for humane euthanasia. I insisted that they assign a first year intern and any emergency students to the case. At least Golem could provide some 'teachable moments' for someone in her last moments on Earth. They placed a femoral catheter and brought me to a nice 'comfy' room with calm and relaxed decor. Golem looked around a bit, but I mostly just used the time to say goodbye and keep her calm.

In the end, she flinched a bit with the administration of the pentobarbitol, but then relaxed. Once again, her coat was smooth, she was relaxed and all was well. I stayed there stroking her for 20 minutes or so before she was taken. I cried a little, thinking of all that we had been through together.

They cast a paw print with a tuft of hair as a keepsake for animals euthanized at the hospital. It's a nice touch. I insisted that she be necropsied-one last opportunity for students on pathology rounds in the diagnostic lab to benefit and learn.

When my wife and I combined households, we had five cats, a dog and two birds. Now, there are none.
Warspite1

- sorry to hear that CB

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25284
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:36:09 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

My condolences. It is very hard losing a pet as you know.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25285
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 5:58:12 PM   
JWE

quote:

That post moved me, Chickenboy. I have three cedar boxes in the front of my bookshelf, for Cooper, Bailey, and Abby. I have a rescue dog, now, with serious displasia issues, that nobody else wanted. I know what will happen, eventually. And then I will have four cedar boxes, and do it all over again.

To watch and feel the life leave a special friend is something that not many of us can do. "I stayed there stroking her for 20 minutes or so before she was taken. I cried a little, thinking of all that we had been through together." Tells me you are a good man with his head screwed on right. Golem is going to be there, at the Rainbow Bridge, just waiting for you.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25286
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 7:09:35 PM   
witpqs

RIP, Golem.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 25287
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:01:41 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 25288
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/7/2011 8:03:30 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Back from barbecue with friends on our near-by recreational lake...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 25289
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 8/8/2011 1:20:29 AM   
Mynok

We took in a little stray called Rijel about ten years ago. Found out early on that he had feline HIV, so his time was short. He crashed one day almost exactly like Golem did. My wife had to take him to be euthanized. I never got to say goodbye to the little tyke. Haunts me to this day. I came home from work to my wife sitting in a chair with Rijel at her feet. She was crying and did for a couple of days. Buried him in the backyard with nice stone marker. I miss all my departed pets, but him the most by far. He was a sweet little guy who deserved better than he got from life.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 25290
Page:   <<   < prev  841 842 [843] 844 845   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  841 842 [843] 844 845   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI