Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

is it possible cheatting against uman players?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> is it possible cheatting against uman players? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/9/2011 6:06:11 PM   
aqui

is it possible cheatting against uman players?
The suspect rose to me last time I played scen 1 (campaign) as Japanese (using last official patch: 1.0.1.06i).
here the facts:
as usual I tried to sweep enemy fighters in Clarkfield and Singapore so to (later on) air bombard these bases to prevent the build of big fortifications.
In the dogfights, very fast, I lost almost all fighters (I fight in superiority but lose 15 fighters against 1 or 2) and I was forced to land also CVs zeros to help the attacks. I killed some P26s, P35s and Buffalos but no one H81, nor P40...
I was forced to suspend dogfight and give up airbombarding bases.
when I entered in Singapore there was a fortification level 6: I lost 45000 jap men against some hundred ally without reducing fort level...
many other things looked strange to me during the game: for example I attacked 3 times Clarkfield with 1:2 ratio losing 15000 japeach time against some hundreds ally. Instead I was attacked many and many times in China with the same ratio but always lost more than Chinese (usually 3000 losts for me and 2000 chinese). In the explanation of the battle Chinese has best experience than Jap that is really strange (jap units have 50 experience on average against 35 of Chinese..).
Any case I gave up the game and ask my opponent to reveal his password to check plane data and so on...he said no.
Jap is doomed ...ok..I know ..but this is the first time that jap is (at the very start of the game ) in the same conditions that historically he was in 1944...
is my opponent only lucky or is he cheatting?
aqui
Post #: 1
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/9/2011 6:34:58 PM   
vettim89

I did a search and there are no known cheats for the game. That said I think a highly skilled computer programmer might be able to devise a way to manipulate the database. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. I honestly don't get people who cheat at games. How is getting the best of an opponent via cheating bring anyone a true sense of victory?

Now, I guess I would be very cautious throwing around such an accusation. Bad things happen in the game. Sometimes random "die rolls" can and do pile up on one another. At the risk of contradicting myself, I do find it odd that your former opponent refused to exchange PW's. That is a common courtesy at the end of any PBEM game.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to aqui)
Post #: 2
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/9/2011 10:35:52 PM   
Crackaces

I do not think the game is at the end yet .. in fact it is only the begining of the end :) The poster felt like it is 1944 but I sense we are not in January yet.

Before thinking cheating ..

When you attacked Singapore did you have any engineers? You did not post a battle report but I could see 10K or so dying w/ no engineers and shock attack agasint a supplied Singapore force. There a few well supplied brave souls in forts can mow down the IJA. Typically months of air bombing and a well corrdianted move using engineers and bombardment reduce Singapore to rubble before attacking.

I have a AAR in which a few detemined brave souls in the Kwoloon Bde held off the IJ for 5 days inflicting 2K casualties. The IJ had engineers and used a deliberate attack. I could see no engineers and shock attack sacrificing many more against a fortified and supplied enemy.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 3
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/9/2011 11:32:26 PM   
Patbgaming

If he is not into January yet I don't think Singapore could be anwhere near level 6 fort.

The air results could be from japs sweeping at 10k and the Allied Cap at 15k+ maybe ( just a thought ).

Massive ground losses could be against a 100% prepped and Dug-in enemy force with an un-prepped assault force ( again just a thought ).

I can show you and I can teach you but I just can't learn for you. - Nameless NCO US Army

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 4
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/9/2011 11:46:34 PM   
SqzMyLemon

There's no way an accusation of cheating can be argued with the minimal information you've provided. I'm not saying there isn't the possiblity, but if you could post the actual combat reports with the forces involved and the time context, that would go a long way to being able to discuss your issues. People will be more than willing to help you out, but you must post more information please.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to Patbgaming)
Post #: 5
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/10/2011 12:01:12 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

Wouldn't a simple solution to the question of cheating, be to simply check the scenario files? If both players are using one of the default scenarios that are installed with the game , then obviously no changes have occured and your opponent is not cheating, if on the other hand, the opponent in question has insisted on supplying the scenario files, that would seem quite suspicous.  As others have said, you need some proof, rather than just a accusation or feeling you have been cheated.

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 6
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/10/2011 12:50:28 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

Wouldn't a simple solution to the question of cheating, be to simply check the scenario files? If both players are using one of the default scenarios that are installed with the game , then obviously no changes have occured and your opponent is not cheating, if on the other hand, the opponent in question has insisted on supplying the scenario files, that would seem quite suspicous.  As others have said, you need some proof, rather than just a accusation or feeling you have been cheated.

The OP is suggesting that the gamefiles have been hacked. That would occur after the game started, so reviewing the scenario files would not reveal anything.

I agree with SML - OP needs to post far more data for anyone to have an opinion. Combat results with dates.

I also agree with vettim89, I find it odd that the opponent refused to exchange passwords.

Pax

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 7
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/10/2011 9:13:10 AM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: noguaranteeofsanity

The OP is suggesting that the gamefiles have been hacked. That would occur after the game started, so reviewing the scenario files would not reveal anything.

I agree with SML - OP needs to post far more data for anyone to have an opinion. Combat results with dates.

I also agree with vettim89, I find it odd that the opponent refused to exchange passwords.

Not necessarily odd, I foolishly used a password that I use for a number of sites as my PBEM password. I'm not planning on exchanging it until I used the password changer in the beta at the end of the game.

That said, the combat results give by the OP are very uncommon, but whether it's 'cheated' uncommon or 'Completely different skill levels' uncommon is impossible to say from the info we have.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/10/2011 3:25:52 PM   
Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: aqui

when I entered in Singapore there was a fortification level 6: I lost 45000 jap men against some hundred ally without reducing fort level...

You didn't say what day it was, but level 6 forts sounds a bit high... What was the op mode of your troops? When they move across a river/strait, they should be in combat mode.

(in reply to aqui)
Post #: 9
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/10/2011 9:07:19 PM   
wdolson

We put a number of anti-cheats in the game.  The official scenarios have anti-hacking measures so the game engine will detect if they have been tampered with when you start.  A box pops up saying something is suspicious and asks if you want to continue with the changed file.  User created scenarios have no such protections.  It would be possible for someone to change a mod so one side had a definite advantage like all fighter pilots start at 90 experience and Singapore starts with fort level 5 or something like that.

Cheating in game is going to be extremely tough unless a player has the source code to the game, and only a tiny handful of us have that.  There were a number of security enhancements put into AE over what the original game had to make it much tougher to hack.  A really good hacker can find their way into just about anything, but if a hacker is that good, they are more likely going to be trying to figure out Bank of America, or the FBI's web site, not a game like this.

The results aqui is seeing do sound somewhat skewed, but unless they are playing a mod (which could have anything going on), or he's playing one of the programmers of the game, cheating is unlikely.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 10
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/11/2011 12:43:53 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Puhis

quote:

ORIGINAL: aqui

You didn't say what day it was, but level 6 forts sounds a bit high... What was the op mode of your troops? When they move across a river/strait, they should be in combat mode.

This is quite possible. There are a TON of engineers in Malaya to be railed South to Singapore, and without heads up monitoring a good deal of supply can be fed in as well. So unless a continual bombardment is maintained to expend these assets on repairing damage the Fort levels can pile up in a hurry.

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 11
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/11/2011 6:28:11 PM   
augustinus

Whatever happened to the picture of the pretty girl with which you used to sign in?

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 12
RE: is it possible cheatting against uman players? - 8/12/2011 10:11:38 AM   
Puhis

Last time I saw her, my wife was fine.

Don't you like Catbus? 

(in reply to augustinus)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> is it possible cheatting against uman players? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI