Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fighting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fighting Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:16:01 PM   
GreyJoy

My USMC top pilots

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2101
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:16:49 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Anyway the sinking of 3 more CLs the last turn was really a good news. His surface assets are really suffering during this campaign of The Solomons and what has been till now his main asset (the air force) is losing battle after battle...during the last turn, for ex, he must have lost nearly 80/100 pilots against 0 of my own...this "trend" must hurt his pilots reserve...at least that's what i hope!

Yes, some Allied players pooh pooh the Solomons and say to ignore it and go around. But as I said, it is the best place to grab hold of the tiger and force attrition without having to risk your carriers. Unless Rader has some magic plan, (and he may) he has really backed himself into a tactical corner. You are doing a great job grinding him now.

BTW on the issue of the units at Japanese units at Tulagi rebuilding at a later date. I see no reason why you could not just leave them there. Once the supply is cut off, they have no offensive power and you can hold the base with a marine defense unit and a brigade of infantry and just leave his units there to rot. Tulagi is not a very good or important base for the Allies to hold so just use it as a large prison camp. No need to give him back his divisions to rebuild at all. Later in the campaign you can then eliminate them for the VPs.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2102
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:17:25 PM   
GreyJoy

The Australian aces. Really proud of them considering they fought the war always with inferior machines...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2103
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:18:41 PM   
GreyJoy

and finally the canadians....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2104
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:22:00 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

Anyway the sinking of 3 more CLs the last turn was really a good news. His surface assets are really suffering during this campaign of The Solomons and what has been till now his main asset (the air force) is losing battle after battle...during the last turn, for ex, he must have lost nearly 80/100 pilots against 0 of my own...this "trend" must hurt his pilots reserve...at least that's what i hope!

Yes, some Allied players pooh pooh the Solomons and say to ignore it and go around. But as I said, it is the best place to grab hold of the tiger and force attrition without having to risk your carriers. Unless Rader has some magic plan, (and he may) he has really backed himself into a tactical corner. You are doing a great job grinding him now.

BTW on the issue of the units at Japanese units at Tulagi rebuilding at a later date. I see no reason why you could not just leave them there. Once the supply is cut off, they have no offensive power and you can hold the base with a marine defense unit and a brigade of infantry and just leave his units there to rot. Tulagi is not a very good or important base for the Allies to hold so just use it as a large prison camp. No need to give him back his divisions to rebuild at all. Later in the campaign you can then eliminate them for the VPs.

I don't care for the VPs. As long as those divisions are there and as long as they cannot offend, i'm fine.

He may have a plan...i know...and i do really think for a long time his plan has been to force me to committ my CVs against his LBAs...now i don't have a clue of what he's planning....even in India...now it seems that some of the units at Multan are moving out...i'm puzzled...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2105
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:26:47 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

My brits TOP pilots

When Cooper-Sliper got WIA last month i was really scared....i'm following this guy since the beginning of the war and i think i've fallen in love with him....however now, after less than 20 days, he got back to his squadron and my heart is beating back again

All these top guys are the veterans of the "battle of India". They have been flying Buffaloes and Hurricanes mkIIb before moving on the Spits VIII. Then, when the new SWPAC front has been open, they have been transfered along with their machines, at Ndeni, where they are continuing to shoot down enemy planes in droves!

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2106
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 10:59:36 PM   
GreyJoy

The list of the japanese cruisers reported sunk. The one underlined in red are those i'm not 100% positive about

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2107
RE: Fighting - 9/4/2011 11:16:49 PM   
Smeulders

11 or 12 CL sunk makes about 50% of his CL sunk (unless there are extra CL in scen 2). He's obviously taking better care of the CA, even if all 4 of them are sunk that's still only a fifth. Still, that's good attrition. If his CL keep getting hammered like this he'll either have to cede the seas to you or up the stakes, giving you a shot at his more valuable ships.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2108
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 2:28:30 AM   
Cribtop

Wow, those are some ELITE British pilots!

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 2109
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 3:02:01 AM   
Xargun

quote:

I wouldn't say they have no offensive might. I just attacked with a unit in my PBeM with 0 supply and they still managed some offensive punch - not enough for what I needed, but more than you would think. Plus all he needs to do is drop some supply on them and *poof* they are back in the fight -- it takes a loooong time for units to wither on the vine and if you turn your back on them you might get bit. I would suggest bombarding them from sea and air and then simply finishing them off - it will give your units some experience too. Of if you don't finish them off at least cripple them with attacks so you are sure they are out of the fight - don't let no supplies do it as it will take months (like 6 months) for it to affect such a large group of men.

Xargun

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2110
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:33:00 AM   
bigred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Bump+1, wish I had some.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2111
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:36:55 AM   
bigred

quote:

quote:

My brits TOP pilots

When Cooper-Sliper got WIA last month i was really scared....i'm following this guy since the beginning of the war and i think i've fallen in love with him....however now, after less than 20 days, he got back to his squadron and my heart is beating back again

All these top guys are the veterans of the "battle of India". They have been flying Buffaloes and Hurricanes mkIIb before moving on the Spits VIII. Then, when the new SWPAC front has been open, they have been transfered along with their machines, at Ndeni, where they are continuing to shoot down enemy planes in droves!

I am playing RA70 and I dont get spitVIII until 9/43.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2112
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 5:03:13 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

He got them as reinforcements when Rader crossed the line of death in India.

GreyJoy: Good to see Cooper-Slipper doing well. He has to survive so he can be a test pilot in Canada after the war.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 2113
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 5:35:43 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

I wouldn't say they have no offensive might. I just attacked with a unit in my PBeM with 0 supply and they still managed some offensive punch - not enough for what I needed, but more than you would think. Plus all he needs to do is drop some supply on them and *poof* they are back in the fight -- it takes a loooong time for units to wither on the vine and if you turn your back on them you might get bit. I would suggest bombarding them from sea and air and then simply finishing them off - it will give your units some experience too. Of if you don't finish them off at least cripple them with attacks so you are sure they are out of the fight - don't let no supplies do it as it will take months (like 6 months) for it to affect such a large group of men.

Xargun

Well for sure even if low on supplies those bastards have given my units a bad slap in the face last week! I will bomb them back to hell when the front will "move on"...but for the moment my main concern isn't "those" troops, but those which i ignore their destination (Tulagi, Calcutta or...?)

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 2114
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 5:37:47 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

and those are just a "fragment"....there are many more, well beyond the "ace" status (with more than 5 kills) and with exp well above 80 in the pool.... the battle of India created many "aces-monsters" among my lines

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 2115
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 5:43:04 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

quote:

He got them as reinforcements when Rader crossed the line of death in India.

GreyJoy: Good to see Cooper-Slipper doing well. He has to survive so he can be a test pilot in Canada after the war.

Cheers,
CC

72 SpitsVIII to be precise....and 13 of those 72 are still litterarly "kicking arses"

I'll do my best to keep this "ELITE" alive. As soon as those 13 spitsVIII will be over, i'll move those guys back to the pool ....maybe i can even think about giving 180 days back in Britain to them...i'll wait to call them back untill it will be available the spitsVIII in regular production for the brits (the AUS version comes earlier - 10/43)
In their "kicking arses" role the SpitsVIII will be substituted by the thunderbolt starting from July 43

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2116
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 6:01:39 AM   
jmalter

kudos to your 'few' in India, they saved some of your bacon!

never did like that '180 days' option, it's been eliminated in the beta. far better to TRACOM them, anyway. i've read it's best to TRACOM in groups of 10 from the same nation/branch. they give a tiny, random EXP boost to trainees ending their 12-month pipeline, more important is they accelerate some of those pilots into early graduation.

& i like Thunderbolts a whole lot. w/ the 1 service rating, they're preferable to P-51s 'til you have a goodly amount.

< Message edited by jmalter -- 9/5/2011 6:08:11 AM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2117
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 8:21:11 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

kudos to your 'few' in India, they saved some of your bacon!

never did like that '180 days' option, it's been eliminated in the beta. far better to TRACOM them, anyway. i've read it's best to TRACOM in groups of 10 from the same nation/branch. they give a tiny, random EXP boost to trainees ending their 12-month pipeline, more important is they accelerate some of those pilots into early graduation.

& i like Thunderbolts a whole lot. w/ the 1 service rating, they're preferable to P-51s 'til you have a goodly amount.

Yes, i'm really looking forward to see how the P-47s performs.
Till now my personal graduatory of fighters is the following (consider that it is based on this particular match where Japan has been using only overwhelming numbers, so in other games it may differ)

P-38(various versions): 8 (out of 10) in CAP role, 7 in sweep role
Corsair: 7 in CAP role, 5 in sweep role
Hellcats: still to be deeply tested
P-40K: 7 in CAP role, 4 in sweep
SpitVIII: 10 in CAP role, 7 in sweep
SpitVc: 7,5 in CAP role, 4 in sweep
HurriMkII: 6 in CAP, 5 in Sweep

So in the end i find that, a part from the spitVIII which is an "out of time" gem, the most usefull and flexible fighter is the P-38. It can both defend and offend and the high service rating can be overtaken with enough aviation support.
The biggest delusion is the Corsair. I haven't found yet the best way to use it. On sweeps it seems to suffer much much more than the slower P-38 and on CAP it isn't as effective (probably due to the weapon configuration).

All these considerations are taken using TOP-PILOTS (meaning with exp above 65, AirSkill above 70 and def above 60)

< Message edited by GreyJoy -- 9/5/2011 8:23:08 AM >

(in reply to jmalter)
Post #: 2118
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 8:46:21 AM   
GreyJoy

Do you think this growing average skill of my fighting pilots will pay some dividends in the future? I ask this cause till now Rader - that we all know as a player who really takes care of the details - has been caring so few for his pilots that i'm starting to think my calculations aren't so correct. Will Japan be able to substitute the pilots lost till now (my guess is that he lost at least 5000 fighter pilots) with decent ones trained at home islands?

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2119
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 9:23:02 AM   
Saros

Assuming he has expanded his land based navy units for training then its possible to train huge numbers of pilots with a turnover of about 3 months. However they will come out at about 45exp 70 skill in one area. Going up against your ridiculous super pilots in inferior IJN/INAF planes they will be slaughtered (like is happening now).

I dont know exactly how many extra pilots you get in scen two its entirely possible in scen 1 to run out of pilots if you arent careful. I think the per month graduation rate (the guys you draw which you then train onmap) in scen1 is 140 navy 180 army pilots a month. After those pools are dry you start drawing trainees straight from the academy which take a lot longer to train up to a decent standard and will also reach the 70 skill mark with less experience.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2120
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 12:01:23 PM   
terje439

It is indeed possible to drain your pools as the Allies in scn 2. I've had pilots with single digit exp levels coming out in one of my games...

About your plane rating GreyJoy - what I find to be the real benefit of the corsair is its range. Alot of the allied planes have a 4/3 range while the corsair has 8/6 or thereabouts, allowing you to fly longer sweeps, apart from that I agree with you on that they are not that super-fighter you wish for :)

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 2121
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 3:13:01 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saros

Assuming he has expanded his land based navy units for training then its possible to train huge numbers of pilots with a turnover of about 3 months. However they will come out at about 45exp 70 skill in one area. Going up against your ridiculous super pilots in inferior IJN/INAF planes they will be slaughtered (like is happening now).

I dont know exactly how many extra pilots you get in scen two its entirely possible in scen 1 to run out of pilots if you arent careful. I think the per month graduation rate (the guys you draw which you then train onmap) in scen1 is 140 navy 180 army pilots a month. After those pools are dry you start drawing trainees straight from the academy which take a lot longer to train up to a decent standard and will also reach the 70 skill mark with less experience.

Sincerly i don't care much about the 45 exp 70 skill pilots....i have HUGE numbers of avg pilots with those characteristics...what i fear are the Elites.... but if he gets 320 pilots for month... i won't be able to kill that many pilots...even at the good rate i'm obtaining...so his trained pilot pool won't be dried up...

(in reply to Saros)
Post #: 2122
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 3:22:01 PM   
Erkki

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saros

Sincerly i don't care much about the 45 exp 70 skill pilots....i have HUGE numbers of avg pilots with those characteristics...what i fear are the Elites.... but if he gets 320 pilots for month... i won't be able to kill that many pilots...even at the good rate i'm obtaining...so his trained pilot pool won't be dried up...

Those 320 pilots a month are EXP30 guys with branch skill of 35-40 or so. He will still have to train them 70 in at least one skill, which takes 2 months. If he loses 200 pilots dead a month he sooner or later has to add untrained pilots to his front line units or reduce the number of front line aircraft. By the looks of the combat results, it looks like good part of his front line pilots are already minimally - if at all - trained... In the future, you can expect the exchange ratio to get even better to you or he has to pull back units and build reserves. He might have the original fighter elite pilots in reserve but you already have an "ace force" of your own that is as large and as good. Then you have at least a thousand well trained pilots that are much better than his.

I dont understand what he wants from the Solomons campaign... If he does have good pilots in reserve, not using them has already cost him capital ships, and sooner or later divions worth of troops. The longer you can make him fight you here the more it hurts him than you, and he should know that.

< Message edited by Erkki -- 9/5/2011 3:25:02 PM >

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2123
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 3:58:37 PM   
paulkenny

Have gone through this aar over the past few days and I am definitely a member of the GJFB club.  Well done, great attitude and great job of not listening to the naysayers.  despite all the criticism (often harsh) you are in a great position to move towards victory.  When you held in Karachi and announced victory I shouted "Newbies of the World REJOICE!".

One thing, I was handed a memo from President Roosevelt asking, to the effect, that if you are not going to use those Carriers, he would like to borrow them for a while.  IN 16 months they have not sunk one ship or shot down one air plane!

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 2124
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:15:40 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xargun

quote:

Xargun

I am not against "grinding them down a bit". That is a good idea. Just don't finish them off. Scen #2 gives the Japanese player a lot more flexibility to replace lost devices and troops. Barring other major losses I think Rader could easily rebuild those units if they were killed off at this point. A little bit of supply flown in won't boost the AV of a unit enough to matter. Not if Greyjoy is sitting behind forts with a couple of solid units. Besides, that is what the good lord made those small NZ fighter squadrons for. Just leave a small kittyhawk unit at the base on CAP and they will intercept transports.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Xargun)
Post #: 2125
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:36:57 PM   
crsutton

quote:

No, he will never get back the high quality pilots that he started the game with. He will have no problem training replacement pilots but they will be no better than your replacement pilots so you will benefit due to better planes. You possess an amazing advantage over him due to the high skill level of your top pilots. It is very difficult for any Japanese player to accumulate top aces and I just don't see that happening to Rader considering the losses he has taken. I really don't know why but Rader has squandered his early war air advantage. Even if his strategic vision was sound he never seem to be able to get a grip on the tactical battle in the air. He should have been able to suppress your air without taking the massive losses. Now with your edge in pilots, it just can't happen.

Don't lose faith in the corsair, I am finding it to be an excellent aircraft. You are using the early version and I found that one to be disappointing. When you get the F4U-1 in a few months you will be pleased. It has drop tanks and your older corsairs will get tanks too-giving them all excellent range and making them great all around airplanes. The P47 is king but I consider the corsair the next in line if not more useful in the offensive role due to greater range. In addition you can put the next model on your carriers making them all the more dangerous.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2126
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:38:15 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulkenny

Have gone through this aar over the past few days and I am definitely a member of the GJFB club.  Well done, great attitude and great job of not listening to the naysayers.  despite all the criticism (often harsh) you are in a great position to move towards victory.  When you held in Karachi and announced victory I shouted "Newbies of the World REJOICE!".

One thing, I was handed a memo from President Roosevelt asking, to the effect, that if you are not going to use those Carriers, he would like to borrow them for a while.  IN 16 months they have not sunk one ship or shot down one air plane!

Thanks for joining us Paul! and welcome aboard!

That's not exactly correct...during the aborted planned invasion of Iwo and Wake our "brave" carriers bombed Marcus and Wake and killed some 35 enemy zeros and Vals...the whole operation ended up with the Saratoga eating a jap sub fish and my invasion forces retiring with the tail between their legs after the discovery that Marcus and Wake were so heavily defended...

I know it sounds coward to been hiding my CVs for so long....but considering the amount of LBA he always uses and his ability to always outperform me tactically i thought it was a wiser choice not to rely on them till they get their fighter groups fully updated ...plus every time i try to move them japanese subs spring out of nowhere en masse and start to kill my CVEs

(in reply to paulkenny)
Post #: 2127
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:45:14 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

quote:

No, he will never get back the high quality pilots that he started the game with. He will have no problem training replacement pilots but they will be no better than your replacement pilots so you will benefit due to better planes. You possess an amazing advantage over him due to the high skill level of your top pilots. It is very difficult for any Japanese player to accumulate top aces and I just don't see that happening to Rader considering the losses he has taken. I really don't know why but Rader has squandered his early war air advantage. Even if his strategic vision was sound he never seem to be able to get a grip on the tactical battle in the air. He should have been able to suppress your air without taking the massive losses. Now with your edge in pilots, it just can't happen.

Don't lose faith in the corsair, I am finding it to be an excellent aircraft. You are using the early version and I found that one to be disappointing. When you get the F4U-1 in a few months you will be pleased. It has drop tanks and your older corsairs will get tanks too-giving them all excellent range and making them great all around airplanes. The P47 is king but I consider the corsair the next in line if not more useful in the offensive role due to greater range. In addition you can put the next model on your carriers making them all the more dangerous.

Rader told me during the days of the Battle of India that his goal was simply to overwhelm the allies and dry their pools out so that any opposition would have been impossible, no matter how good their pilots were.
In this equation he probably failed to consider that crossing the LOD he gave me the ENORMOUS advantage of having 72 SPITVIIIs....those 70 planes changed the course of the Indian campaign.

The other great advantage i had was that Rader pushed me on the corner, so forcing me to only play a point defence. Not wasting precious planes and pilots on any offensive role has given me a HUGE reserve of skilled and trained pilots that, the more they become experienced, the less the chance for them to get KIA or WIA....that was the key.
While his pilots always die over my controlled territory, mines get shot down over friendly bases....

Looking forward for new corsairs so...P-47s and Australian Spits MkVIII too!....it's gonna be a warm autumn!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 2128
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:49:27 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulkenny

Thanks for joining us Paul! and welcome aboard!

That's not exactly correct...during the aborted planned invasion of Iwo and Wake our "brave" carriers bombed Marcus and Wake and killed some 35 enemy zeros and Vals...the whole operation ended up with the Saratoga eating a jap sub fish and my invasion forces retiring with the tail between their legs after the discovery that Marcus and Wake were so heavily defended...

I know it sounds coward to been hiding my CVs for so long....but considering the amount of LBA he always uses and his ability to always outperform me tactically i thought it was a wiser choice not to rely on them till they get their fighter groups fully updated ...plus every time i try to move them japanese subs spring out of nowhere en masse and start to kill my CVEs

This is somewhat discouraging GreyJoy .. As a newbie ...I was really hoping that by 1943 the USN ASW would be expereinced enough to provide some sort of protection against the IJN submarine force. If he is still able to pentrate big DD screens and hit CV's at will in 1943, then I understand your trepitation in deploying carriers. I am simply trying to protect my tanker convoys with 8 DD screens in 1942 and these are not doing the trick. No reaction or protection... . just whoosh whoosh .. another one bites the dust After that experince I am very very cautious about deploying my CVTF fleet.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 2129
RE: Fighting - 9/5/2011 4:56:52 PM   
GreyJoy

Probably if you make your CVs following an ASW TF and a Surface TF composed by a DD division, you can move pretty safely...i didn't do that and i got mauled several times (got the Saratoga torped, 3 CVE and a BB sunk only due to subs operating very far away from the front).

However the KB remains the main concerns...the "8 hexes" rule can be a killer as PzB showed us all...

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Fighting Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI