Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Next quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Next quiz - 9/16/2011 12:53:51 AM   
ezzler

Its an old royal navy tradition .
Try under Battlecruiser Hood.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2251
RE: Next quiz - 9/16/2011 11:41:38 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Its an old royal navy tradition .
Try under Battlecruiser Hood.

Quiz rules:

(1) Answers are not supposed to be surfed on the web.

(2) The one who submits the question gives a clue a day until he/she has given 3 clues.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2252
RE: Next quiz - 9/16/2011 3:08:32 PM   
ezzler

ok..
But Extraneous has avoided the trap already. Its not because of the hook {which he did have}.

18th century word for "humbug"

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2253
RE: Next quiz - 9/19/2011 3:35:05 PM   
ItBurns

Okay, I'll try my hand at this: Can you name 2 reasons the American fleet should have felt unlucky at the third battle of Savo Island?

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2254
RE: Next quiz - 9/19/2011 4:15:51 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

Okay, I'll try my hand at this: Can you name 2 reasons the American fleet should have felt unlucky at the third battle of Savo Island?

Is this the night surface battle where the nippons sunk 3 american cruisers and 1 australian cruiser was so cripple that it was sunk the day after?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2255
RE: Next quiz - 9/19/2011 6:41:47 PM   
Extraneous

The date was Friday the 13th and the Americans had 13 ships.

The First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (the Japaneese called it the Third and Fourth Battles of Savo Island), November 13, 1942.

Admiral Callaghan commanded from San Francisco.

Two Heavy Cruisers (San Francisco and Portland).
Three Light Cruisers (Helena, Juneau, and Atlanta).
Eight Destroyers: Cushing, Laffey, Sterett, O'Bannon, Aaron Ward, Barton, Monssen, and Fletcher.

Good quiz question. And I did let some one else try and answer first.

The Battle of Savo Island (the Japaneese called it the First Battle of Savo Island), August 8–9, 1942 - Quincy, Vincennes, Astoria, and Canberra sunk.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 9/19/2011 6:58:08 PM >

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 2256
RE: Next quiz - 9/19/2011 8:01:34 PM   
ezzler

The Hooky answer.
"Hooky" is an old establishment nickname for Walker.

its still used in the RN and diplomatic service.

Walker was called Hooky before he had the hook.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2257
RE: Next quiz - 9/19/2011 10:52:13 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

The Hooky answer.
"Hooky" is an old establishment nickname for Walker.

its still used in the RN and diplomatic service.

Walker was called Hooky before he had the hook.

Yup, I had googled the "Battlecruiser Hood site" before your suggestion and therefore could not answer due to the quiz rules.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2258
RE: Next quiz - 9/20/2011 3:52:04 AM   
paulderynck

Two US heavy cruiser Captains committed suicide. What were their names? Which cruisers? Why?

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2259
RE: Next quiz - 9/20/2011 5:55:22 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Two US heavy cruiser Captains committed suicide. What were their names? Which cruisers? Why?
Warspite1

One was Captain Bode of the USS Chicago. His handling of Chicago during the Battle of Savo Island was heavily criticised - I do not know whether he was actually court-martialled - but this censure led to him shooting himself.

When a Japanese cruiser squadron launched a night attack in the waters off Guadalcanal, they fell upon the cruisers of the southern group first (these cruisers were defending the transports off Guadalcanal - the northern group of cruisers were guarding the transports off Tulagi). For some reason, after being attacked, Bode ordered Chicago away from the attackers - and away from the transports he was supposed to be protecting. Chicago survived the encounter, but HMAS Canberra and three US cruisers of the northern group did not.

Fortunately the Japanese did not turn their attentions to the, still partially unloaded transports, but Savo Island was a major defeat nonetheless.

I can only guess the other captain committed suicide for a similar reason i.e. being blamed for the loss of his ship or battle. I think the captain of USS Indianapolis fell in the former category - do not know his name.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 9/20/2011 6:37:32 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2260
RE: Next quiz - 9/20/2011 3:14:40 PM   
ItBurns

Extraneous is of course correct. Although in retrospect the US had in good luck considering that both Japanese BattleCruisers were carrying mostly land bombardment shells instead of armor piercing. This certainly prevented more sinkings on the US side.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2261
RE: Next quiz - 9/20/2011 11:44:55 PM   
ezzler

quote:

Pretty sure you're right about Indianapolis.
I think he survived the sinking but killed himself some years later whilst suffering from depression.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2262
RE: Next quiz - 9/21/2011 5:40:23 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Warspite1

One was Captain Bode of the USS Chicago. His handling of Chicago during the Battle of Savo Island was heavily criticised - I do not know whether he was actually court-martialled - but this censure led to him shooting himself.

When a Japanese cruiser squadron launched a night attack in the waters off Guadalcanal, they fell upon the cruisers of the southern group first (these cruisers were defending the transports off Guadalcanal - the northern group of cruisers were guarding the transports off Tulagi). For some reason, after being attacked, Bode ordered Chicago away from the attackers - and away from the transports he was supposed to be protecting. Chicago survived the encounter, but HMAS Canberra and three US cruisers of the northern group did not.

Fortunately the Japanese did not turn their attentions to the, still partially unloaded transports, but Savo Island was a major defeat nonetheless.

I can only guess the other captain committed suicide for a similar reason i.e. being blamed for the loss of his ship or battle. I think the captain of USS Indianapolis fell in the former category - do not know his name.

Right both times.

Paul

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2263
RE: Next quiz - 9/21/2011 5:44:37 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure you're right about Indianapolis.
I think he survived the sinking but killed himself some years later whilst suffering from depression.

Yes. Capt McVay was tortured by the long delay before it was realized the Indianapolis was overdue. This was related to the fact it was carrying parts for the A-Bombs to Tinian and its mission was top secret. He was eventually exonerated, but killed himself in 1968.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 9/21/2011 5:49:08 AM >

Paul

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 2264
RE: Next quiz - 9/25/2011 2:30:01 PM   
Extraneous

The "Liberty ship" (nicknamed "ugly ducklings" by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt) was the name given to the EC2 type ship designed for "Emergency Construction” by the United States Maritime Commission in World War II.

The first of the 2,751 Liberty ships was the SS Patrick Henry, launched on Sept. 27, 1941, and built to a standardized, mass produced design. The 250,000 parts were pre-fabricated throughout the country in 250-ton sections and welded together in about 70 days for a cost of under 2 million dollars.

The Liberty was 441 feet long and 56 feet wide. Her three-cylinder, reciprocating steam engine, fed by two oil-burning boilers produced 2,500 hp and a speed of 11 knots. Her 5 holds could carry over 9,000 tons of cargo, plus airplanes, tanks, and locomotives lashed to its deck. A Liberty could carry 2,840 jeeps, 440 tanks, or 230 million rounds of rifle ammunition.

Liberty ships were named after prominent (deceased) Americans, starting with Patrick Henry and the signers of the Declaration of Independence 18 were named for outstanding African-Americans.

Question 1: Which Liberty ship was built in the shortest amount of time?

Question 2: How long did it take to build four, five, six, or seven days?

Question 3: British "Liberty ships" names were all prefixed with what class name?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 2265
RE: Next quiz - 9/25/2011 9:16:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

The "Liberty ship" (nicknamed "ugly ducklings" by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt) was the name given to the EC2 type ship designed for "Emergency Construction” by the United States Maritime Commission in World War II.

The first of the 2,751 Liberty ships was the SS Patrick Henry, launched on Sept. 27, 1941, and built to a standardized, mass produced design. The 250,000 parts were pre-fabricated throughout the country in 250-ton sections and welded together in about 70 days for a cost of under 2 million dollars.

The Liberty was 441 feet long and 56 feet wide. Her three-cylinder, reciprocating steam engine, fed by two oil-burning boilers produced 2,500 hp and a speed of 11 knots. Her 5 holds could carry over 9,000 tons of cargo, plus airplanes, tanks, and locomotives lashed to its deck. A Liberty could carry 2,840 jeeps, 440 tanks, or 230 million rounds of rifle ammunition.

Liberty ships were named after prominent (deceased) Americans, starting with Patrick Henry and the signers of the Declaration of Independence 18 were named for outstanding African-Americans.

Question 1: Which Liberty ship was built in the shortest amount of time?

Question 2: How long did it take to build four, five, six, or seven days?

Question 3: British "Liberty ships" names were all prefixed with what class name?

Warspite1

1. ?
2. Four days
3. Empire.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2266
RE: Next quiz - 9/25/2011 11:36:50 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

Warspite1

1. ?
2. Four days
3. Empire.

4 days is correct.

Empire is incorrect.

These sixty of this class vessels were built to the original 'Empire Liberty' design which was in essence the first 'North Sands' ship. Thirty of the vessels were built on the West Coast at Richmond, California and thirty on the East coast at South Portland, Maine. All of this class of vessels were paid for and owned by the British Government. When the U.S.A. joined the war, no further ships were ordered directly by the British Government from the U.S.A. but were dealt with under the Lease-Lend Act.

Edited to protect the class name.

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 9/26/2011 2:23:43 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2267
RE: Next quiz - 9/26/2011 2:35:55 PM   
Extraneous

Question 1: The ship was named for a famous American exploror and Rear Admiral whos first name was NOT Oliver.

Question 3: The class is named for a large body of salt water.

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2268
RE: Next quiz - 9/26/2011 6:15:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Question 1: The ship was named for a famous American exploror and Rear Admiral whos first name was NOT Oliver.

Warspite1

Ahhh - Peary, Robert E of that ilk

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2269
RE: Next quiz - 9/26/2011 7:00:11 PM   
micheljq

quote:

Ocean class?

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2270
RE: Next quiz - 9/26/2011 7:27:51 PM   
Extraneous

Correct

1. The SS Robert E. Peary (0440) USAT (United States Army Transport)
2. Four days
3. The Ocean class

< Message edited by Extraneous -- 9/26/2011 7:36:54 PM >

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 2271
RE: Next quiz - 10/10/2011 3:17:10 PM   
warspite1

Everyone knows of Isoroku Yammamoto. But what does Isoroku mean and why was this name given to Yammamoto?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2272
RE: Next quiz - 10/10/2011 3:32:32 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

Everyone knows of Isoroku Yammamoto. But what does Isoroku mean and why was this name given to Yammamoto?

quote:

Isoroku

Isoroku means "56".

I believe it was how old his father was when he was born. (I know it was some relative, and I just assume it's the father, but I'm not 100% sure.)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2273
RE: Next quiz - 10/10/2011 3:53:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

quote:

Isoroku

Isoroku means "56".

I believe it was how old his father was when he was born. (I know it was some relative, and I just assume it's the father, but I'm not 100% sure.)
Warspite1

Well that's impressive! and the correct answer. How did you come to know that, if I may ask?

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 2274
RE: Next quiz - 10/10/2011 4:08:54 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

One of my old history Professors, Mario Kessler, used to love exchanging trivia. The guy knew *everything*, and I'd actually seen basically the same question before from him 

< Message edited by Ur_Vile_WEdge -- 10/10/2011 4:09:24 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2275
RE: Next quiz - 10/10/2011 4:34:01 PM   
Extraneous

Yamamoto Isoroku (1884-1943)

Yamamoto Isoroku (1884-1943) was Commander-in-chief of combined Japanese fleet, who was Japan's greatest naval strategist in World War II.

Yamamoto Isoroku, "the Nelson of the Japanese navy," was originally born Takano Isoroku, sixth son of an impoverished schoolteacher, Takano Teikichi, and his second wife Mineko, on April 4, 1884. Isoroku belonged to the Echigo clan, an old tough warrior people who had resisted the unification of Japan under the Meiji emperor. His father gave him the name Isoroku (meaning 56 in Japanese) as he was that age when his son was born in the small village of Kushigun Sonshomura on a bleak northern island that produced many Japanese sailors. Soon after his birth, his father became headmaster of the primary school in the nearby market town of Nagaoka.

The wealthy and socially prestigious Yamamoto family adopted Isoroku at age 30 (he was now a lieutenant commander). Such adoptions were a common practice in Japan: families lacking a male heir sought to keep the lineage from dying out. As Isoroku's parents had died several years earlier, he felt he could accept the Yamamoto's generous invitation. At a formal ceremony in a Buddhist temple, he took on the family name, which means "Base of the Mountain."

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 2276
RE: Next quiz - 10/11/2011 4:09:56 PM   
ItBurns

Okay, I'll try again:

How many functioning 16" caliber guns did the Battleship South Dakota have on the night of 14-15 November 1943 at the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal?

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 2277
RE: Next quiz - 10/11/2011 7:39:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ItBurns

Okay, I'll try again:

How many functioning 16" caliber guns did the Battleship South Dakota have on the night of 14-15 November 1943 at the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal?
Warspite1

No idea - 6??

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2278
RE: Next quiz - 10/11/2011 8:38:26 PM   
ItBurns

No not 6.

As a hint she was hit by a bomb on her A turrent during the previous carrier battle but all of the turrents remain operable. Not so all the guns.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2279
RE: Next quiz - 10/12/2011 3:00:26 AM   
38special

seven?

Arrogance is the next best thing to being there.

(in reply to ItBurns)
Post #: 2280
Page:   <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Next quiz Page: <<   < prev  74 75 [76] 77 78   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI