Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

"All Units" Suggestion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> "All Units" Suggestion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
"All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 10:05:39 AM   
dorjun driver

Currently, when one chooses a unit from a filtered “All Units” screen, and then one starts clicking the “Prev/Next Unit” buttons on the subsequent sub-screen, the entire unfiltered “All Units” list is cycled through. Would it be possible to limit the behaviour of the “Prev/Next Unit” buttons to reflect the state of the filtered “All Units” screen?

If that isn’t clear enough, I’ve included a schematic to really muddy the waters.

Thanks,
Doug

Attachment (1)

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
Post #: 1
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 12:15:14 PM   
michaelm75au

I can try but passing data between these menus can be a tad difficult.

Michael

(in reply to dorjun driver)
Post #: 2
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 1:05:59 PM   
dorjun driver

I couldn't ask for anything more. And thanks again for your great support.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 3
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 1:41:36 PM   
michaelm75au

If I can get it to work, it will probably apply to both the "all units' and "units in hex" lists.

Michael

Post #: 4
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 1:43:51 PM   
dorjun driver

Well wouldn't that just be the bee's bloody knees.  Cool.

Post #: 5
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 2:07:08 PM   
USSAmerica

This would be a nice addition.  Thanks for the efforts, Michael!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 6
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 9:08:37 PM   
Schanilec

The bees bloody knees? This is new.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 7
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 10:11:44 PM   
nashvillen

+1

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 8
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 10:22:23 PM   
plund

If you are already considering this new feature could you also consider expanding it to include other functions in the unit display window?

For example after the filter is selected for all ground units like engineers, if the player assignes the new target hext for planning and then hits the All Units command, all the units in the hex now have the new hex for a planning point intsead of just the engineer units selected by the filter.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 9
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/14/2011 10:33:14 PM   
dorjun driver

quote:

ORIGINAL: plund

If you are already considering this new feature could you also consider expanding it to include other functions in the unit display window?

For example after the filter is selected for all ground units like engineers, if the player assignes the new target hext for planning and then hits the All Units command, all the units in the hex now have the new hex for a planning point intsead of just the engineer units selected by the filter.

Plund,
I believe that might be a creeping feature behind the OP. michaelm works in mysterious and wonderful ways. So keep your hat on.

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 10
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 4:02:56 AM   
michaelm75au

As the OpMode setting is available on the list screen already, it is easier to just add a second line to set the Combat mode in like manner.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by michaelm -- 10/16/2011 4:04:08 AM >

Michael

Post #: 11
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 4:12:04 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

Doing this could inadvertly change units that had already been training for a target.
I think it is too prone to causing more issues than it could be of help.

Preparing for a target usually involves having units in the same hex being set or scattered about at various places. Both of which is already handled.

Michael

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 12
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 5:34:30 AM   
plund

I respectfully disagree.  I think that the current situation is dysfunctional. Let us take a simple example.  Under the Ground unit display you can select all the ENG units as a type and order all of them to an OpMode such as combat or whatever.  When you say Set All, only the ENG units are given that OpMode.  the HQ, INF, ART, etc units are not assigned to that OpMode.  Only the ENG units.  I bleieve that this is the correct function because it makes use of the filters.  Many of the other commands on the screen work the same way.

The only one that does not seem to work is the Set All for the Future Objective.  It does not matter what the filter has selected.  The Set All command for future ojbective always applies to every ground unit in the hex.  This is why I think it is faulty and dysfunctional becuase it operates differently from the other commands on the screen (which take advantage of the filter functions).

Post #: 13
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 6:37:04 AM   
witpqs

quote:

I respectfully disagree.  I think that the current situation is dysfunctional. Let us take a simple example.  Under the Ground unit display you can select all the ENG units as a type and order all of them to an OpMode such as combat or whatever.  When you say Set All, only the ENG units are given that OpMode.  the HQ, INF, ART, etc units are not assigned to that OpMode.  Only the ENG units.  I bleieve that this is the correct function because it makes use of the filters.  Many of the other commands on the screen work the same way.

The only one that does not seem to work is the Set All for the Future Objective.  It does not matter what the filter has selected.  The Set All command for future ojbective always applies to every ground unit in the hex.  This is why I think it is faulty and dysfunctional becuase it operates differently from the other commands on the screen (which take advantage of the filter functions).

"Dysfunctional" is certainly inaccurate. You are talking about two different screens, not an inconsistency in the way commands work within one screen. I agree with Michael on this one - that change would not be beneficial. Setting future objectives is something that most players do unit by unit with various units set for various future objectives. Setting all of certain units types must be the rarest of orders, certainly more rare than setting all units in the hex.

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 14
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 7:25:15 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

Well, that's easily fixed.
I'll remove the options from the Army list.
"dysfunctional" = not operating normally or properly.

The options on the Army list are operating properly and normally.
The options on the LCU screen are operating properly and normally.

The system was never designed for the LCU screen to work in conjunction with the Army list screens.
Options were added to the list during previous patches to enable some simple "broad brush" change to filtered units.

[edit]
Only jocking about removing options so don't get too worried.

Michael

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 15
RE: "All Units" Suggestion - 10/16/2011 2:00:25 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

[[edit]
Only jocking about removing options so don't get too worried.

(Whew!! )

Michael, thanks for all the support! Looking forward to this weeks update ...

Pax

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> "All Units" Suggestion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI