Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/27/2011 2:47:08 AM   
terje439

Turn 21

Overall
A dull turn. Nothing happens except our air raids. Neither side makes any attacks this turn.

Industry
We move 9 Heavy Industry out of Moscow, having ths completed all factory evacuation from Moscow.

Units
We gain 11 divisions and 1 brigade this turn, but they are not placed on rail, as there is no immediate need for units at the front.
Our forces gained a net of 110k men this turn.

Planning Operation Annoyment
Everything is ready, all we need now is the winter.

Worries
Have I misjudged my opponent? It seems to me his reason for moving back is a mixture of muddy terrain and wanting to enter his forts before winter sets in. He is now in a line with 0-3 fort levels with most being level 1. There are two salients he could try for, but only one of them is a slight worry as the northern one is too big for him to capture.

Attachment (1)

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 61
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/27/2011 11:27:59 PM   
terje439

Turn 22

Overall
So, the Germans attack all along the line as the ground freezed. All 48 attacks are deliberate attacks, and they all succeed. The results are 14 retreats, 27 routs and 7 shattered, resulting at a 3:1 in losses in favour of the Axis after our airforce do their bombing runs.
Nowhere was the front pierced, and our Intel Operations has snapped up a telegram from OKH to Hitler, it reads;
"There are too many Soviet soldiers!".

Industry
With the increased rail capacity we rail out 3 armaments factories and 2 heavy industry from Kramatorskaya. From Maripul we ship 1 armaments factory to the Sibir, and from Voroshilovgrad we send away 3 armaments factories. This leaves Kramatorskaya and Maripul without any factories. This is the way we like it!

Units
We lose 5 divisions and 2 brigades while gaining 17 divisions and 2 brigades, so a net gain of 12 divisions. Since we do not move alot of factories, we are also able to rail alot of troops this turn, so for nwo there are no units left in the east. On several places our front line is now 4 units deep, AND we have units in reserve. The reserve units are set to refit, as these are the guys that we will try to use when the Blizzard sets in.
In available manpower in our units, we have an increase of 100.000 men despite our losses this turn. This is excellent news.

Planning Operation Annoyment
We are now considering using Paratroops as well, to really mess with the Axis rear areas. This is something we will have to think about for some time since we have been told by scholars that our paratroopers are very good at digging in.

Worries
Not much really. Just the fact that the armor/mech troops to the rear of the front around Kursk are still at the rear. Why?

Questions
Have anyone tried to use paratroopers to harass enemy rear areas?
What do people use the political points for? I do not need them to rearrange my front for the time being, and soon I will be back up at 500...

Remarks
Was not sure what to post as a screenie, so I decided to post a picture of the southern most part of the front.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 62
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 9:43:34 AM   
Attack

quote:

What do people use the political points for? I do not need them to rearrange my front for the time being, and soon I will be back up at 500...

I supouse you spoke about administrative points. If you don´t need them to organize your army, you can change commanders. And if you´ve good commanders, then you can build new units.

In 42, you´ll need them to buid corps.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 63
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 12:48:45 PM   
terje439

Yes, AP = WITE, PP = WitP. Gotta learn that soon. Thanks.
Well, either I am not building enough troops, or there is something else I am not doing well enough hehe. Hit 500 this turn so build two cav div and an inf div (pressed wrong button, wanted a cav...)

Well maybe I will build more units from now on. Will have to see.

Terje

(in reply to Attack)
Post #: 64
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 12:58:57 PM   
terje439

Turn 23

Overall
This turn follows the same pattern as the last one. The Germans make 40 attacks, 39 deliberate and 1 hasty. He got a total of 39 success in various forms, but only two shatter. The hasty attack was the one that did not succeed.
The Axis is making the most progress in the south, and it seems they might go for Sevastopol next season, it is most likely a tad too far for him to be able to reach it before the blizzard sets in.
The front is not pierced anywhere, and the Axis make only minor territorial gains as the cost of deliberate attacks+enemy ZoC prevents alot of his units to advance after combat.

Industry
We move 5 armaments and 5 vehicle factories out of Stalino this turn, still alot of factories in this area though.

Units
We lose 1 division and 1 brigade while 10 divisions and 14 brigades arrive. We also build 2 Cav divisions and 1 Inf division. This is of course not the intended build. We wanted 3 Cav divisions, but that is the price of "diggin'" music while playing the game it seems. But then again who does NOT wanna rock...
Our frontline strength increased by 105.000 men this turn, these are numbers we apreciate.

Worries
We are once more back to having to weigh the need for troops against the need to evacuate factories.

Questions
Is there any downside to evacuating factories to a few cities only? Or put in other words, can there be too many factories being assembled in a city?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 65
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 3:24:12 PM   
FredSanford3

Things for AP's:
Buy support units- Tank Bns, Ski Bns, RR Const Bdes, Sapper Regts.  Lots of Sappers &  RR Const Bdes.  RR Construction units help units dig in, they're not just for repairing railroads.  Get them built asap so that they can absorb replacements and train up for Winter (you're actually a bit behind schedule for that, so get cracking).

Use caution when building more divisions, or you will dilute your replacements and end up with a bunch of understrength, unready divisions.  Also, don't put all of the tank bde's you get on Refit all at once, just a few at a time so that once again you don't dilute your tank replacements into a bunch of poorly equipped units.

Check your leaders in the CP- I sort by initiative, since a high initiative leader will also have good stats in at least some other other areas (you don't find high initiative turds).  See who's currently unemployed and highly rated, and put them into your Army & Front HQ's.

Check your HQ's in the CP and see if some armies are overloaded and others under-utilitized, and even things out by transferring units.

Save some AP's for forming Cavalry Corps- they can be formed in December by stacking 3 cav div's together.  I forget the AP cost, but IIR it's around 15-20 AP per corps.  You can attached up to 3 non-artillery support units directly to the Cav corps- put in tank bns, sappers, and ski bns, and the Cav corps become decent mobile units (better than tank Bdes, or even early Tank Corps, which you can build around March or so by combining 3 tank bde's).

One more thing:  I don't think you can do amphib assaults west of Sevastopol until later in the game, so Operation Annoyment might be a non-starter.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 66
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 8:21:24 PM   
terje439

Thank you for the feedback Franklin Nimitz .
Guess I have not built enough RR and Sappers, just about 10 or so, so will build more of those.

I did not try to actually land, but the areas behind the Rumanians was highlighted as an area I could amph move into?

Terje

(in reply to FredSanford3)
Post #: 67
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/28/2011 8:57:06 PM   
Q-Ball

There is always something the Russians can do with APs. Make it a point to get below 450 every turn (and 375 if you have a Front Command coming soon; you do, I think, the Volkhov Front). Don't waste any.

Best thing to do right now is replace leaders. That takes alot of APs

It's possible you'll have alot in the kitty for some time, but you will spend alot in 42-43 on Corps creation, and unit builds

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 68
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/29/2011 10:26:37 AM   
terje439

I think my main issue is not having played the USSR before, and am terrified of creating too many units of any kind as to run out of stuff of various kind.
Also noted that for the first time, one of my vehicles did not have enough supply to produce anything. That does not sound good.
Will do the next turn later today, so we will see what happens

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 69
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/29/2011 6:57:34 PM   
terje439

Turn 24

Overall
I think I will call this a good turn. Losses are 2:1 in favor of the Axis, but despite managing 29 attacks this turn, they only managed to advance into ONE hex. This depsite the fact that all 29 attacks were successful. The Axis just do not have the MP to advance after combat, or they just want to force me back, anyway I like it.
We spent alot of time going over our commnaders, and it is enough to make you cry. Due to lack of alternatives we end up with 4-6 (M/I) leaders as front commanders. We need more Zhukovs!!!

Industry
13 armaments factory from Stalino are on their way to the east.

Units
1 division and 2 brigades lost, 5 divisions and 1 brigade arrive. All in all we grow in strength. The ammount of fresh troops to our frontlines however are down to a net increase of 70.000 men. That is down 1/3 from last turn. Not good.

Worries
After REALLY looking at the USSR generals, the big worry now is that Stalin will execute some of our better ones...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 70
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/29/2011 7:05:39 PM   
Q-Ball

1. Are you air-dropping to those Partisans?

2. He is making a mistake putting FORT ZONES right on the front line. The reason is that any retreat result will cause the Fort Zone to surrender, giving you easy German POWs. Attack them if you can, if not, hope they are still there come Blizzard.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 71
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/29/2011 9:30:35 PM   
terje439

I thought airdrops to partisans was done automatically? But then again I am desperately low on transport planes as well :(

Will try to see how many I can supply next turn. Thx for the feedback Q-Ball

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 72
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/29/2011 10:02:15 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

I thought airdrops to partisans was done automatically? But then again I am desperately low on transport planes as well :(

Terje

They are automatic, but you have to set it up by the following:

1. Only units in a VVS airbase can do it (not SAD, IAD, BAD, or DBAD, or anything else)

2. Units must be set to "fly night missions" -YES

3. Only Level Bombers and Transports will fly it

You might save your Li-2s for paras or something, and just use Level Bombers. TB-3 and DB-3 and other old types are good for this. So are U2 transports, but the range is short

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 73
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/30/2011 6:38:37 AM   
terje439

Thank you Q-Ball, that is information that is worth loads

Terje

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 74
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/30/2011 1:04:27 PM   
terje439

Turn 25

Overall
A very good turn. Total losses on both sides were 1:1 with a 9k margin in our favour. Our winter-reaction force now consists of units with CV values in the 5-11 range, and alot more units now have CV values of 3-4 while Axis CV is dropping.
It now seems the Axis are concentrating their aerial units to a few airfields. Attacking these sees me lose 40+ planes, so for the moment they are a Costner/De Niro/Eastwood movie.
The Rumanian and Italian airfields are now reported to hold 1-4 planes each.

Industry
We continue to move factories from Stalino, this turn 11 armaments and 3 Heavy Industry are moved, leaving only 2 Heavy Industry in the city.

Units
No units were lost. We gain 10 divisions, 34 brigades and 5 airborne corps. Our frontline "lost" 6 units though, as 9 cavalry divisions was reformed as 3 cavalry corps.
The total strength of our units increased by no less than 313.000 men. VERY nice!
3 partisan units formed, one of these have allready been rebuffed.

Worries
That we botch the upcoming winter offensive is our major concern at the present time.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 75
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 1:20:44 AM   
terje439

Turn 26

Overall
A near perfect turn. Winter is now really here with a freeze rating of 10, and we have a ratio of 2.5:1 in losses in OUR favour this turn. Axis losses are reported at roughly 80.000 men, more will soon follow.
Our high CV units are moving up, and will be ready to attack next turn, that is going to be interesting to watch. It seems we have discovered the Finnish defence line, as we encounter 2 Finnish units at the narrowest part in the north.

Industry
We move the remaining two heavy industries from Stalino, so that city is now empty. The city of Makeevka is also empty after we move 3 armaments and 3 heavy industry. From Gorlovka we managed to move out 3 armamanets factories, leaving 3 heavy industries.

Units
No units lost per ce, but 6 cavalry divisions form 2 cavalry corps, so a net loss of 4 units from those actions. We also recieve 11 divisions and 19 brigades this turn, always nice with new toys. A net increase of 173.000 men in our units this turn. Really gotta read up on what influences this as this number has been all over the place the last three turns.

Operation Annoyment
The Operation is launched. 3 naval brigades are now well behind the Rumanian front lines. Going to be interesting to see what we can achieve here.

Worries
Although Axis recon flights have decreased in numbers, I fear that they might spot the reinforced areas of the front close to Moscow, allowing the Axis to fall back before we are able to launch our pincer attack here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 76
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 1:39:07 AM   
Peltonx

Got to love that name.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 77
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 2:53:36 AM   
Q-Ball

That line looks very bad for him. Your units appear to be in a carpet; I would stack everyone right at the front line, and just tee off on the nearest German unit. Nothing too subtle, but you shouldn't be in a defensive posture anywhere.

Longer Lines are BAD for the Germans. He probably has no reserves. You are going to have a good winter.

A couple other items:

1. Try and get 4 hexes occupied against an infantry unit; if it's a straight line, bring up some guys to knock back the unit on either side of the one you want to trap. Make sure you DON'T use at least one Rifle unit that started the turn there, because a unit can always move one hex regardless. Once the unit is gone to either side, move that Rifle Unit that hasn't moved to each side.

Now, that infantry unit is caught in a vice. In most cases, it can only move 1 hex back. If you are collapsing the flanks on either side, eventually you will move faster than that, and that unit will be toast. Eventually.

2. In that shot south of the Dnepr, those Italians look especially inviting. They should fold like a wet noodle. Italian units are probably the worst ones on the Axis side, because Italian Infantry Divisions have a whopping 8 AT guns. Not to mention they only have like 7500 guys.

3. Merge ALL of your cav divisions into Corps. You shouldn't have any Cav Divs, other than a couple

4. MOST IMPORTANT: Set all your front-line divisions to REFIT. Make sure they get all your replacements. You don't want all your UNREADY units collecting replacements. You dont' have enough to make every unit READY, so you have to funnel replacements into some units and keep them up to strength. The worst thing you can do is spread your replacements all over; eventually, you'll just have 300 UNREADY units. They can't attack.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/31/2011 2:56:22 AM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 78
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 3:46:23 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

That line looks very bad for him. Your units appear to be in a carpet; I would stack everyone right at the front line, and just tee off on the nearest German unit. Nothing too subtle, but you shouldn't be in a defensive posture anywhere.

What Q-Ball said. My ideal blizzard: the Soviet hordes fight each other -stacked in the frontline next to the vict... er the Germans- to see who's going to smash the Germans the first ones! "I saw him first, he's mine. You touch him and you're dead!"

This is not for accountable's souls: infantry TOE reduced to x + Pi power 3 - manpower production * supplies... This is about smashing the enemy now that you can. Throw overboard the accountable and unleash the bears.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 79
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 12:17:12 PM   
terje439

Thank you all for the feedback.

Yes, I have a layer of units, remember however that the USSR have alot of brigades. I kinda figured that a brigade is not a very good offensive unit, so I did not intend to use them in the offense. Also, another reason for the layer is that almost every single hex with a unit in it has a fort level of 1-3, so thought that was a good idea for the summer, to have those forts still there?

Refit. Yes, I have switched my intended offensive divisions to refit, but it seems I should do so with alot more then. Will do.

Cav divisions. Yes, I intend to make them all into corps, but at the same time I do not want to create huge gaps in my front from pulling back cav divisions before I can replace them with fresh units from the rear.

Italians. Yes, I have them in mind, espesially considering that their HQ is some 8-10 hexes away from the units (unless they can be transferred into a German HQ?)

About Q-Ball's #1 tip. Yes, I saw that was dont to you in your opponents and your AAR, so I will keep that in mind. However does this also imply that at this stage my ragtag army is incapable of forming proper pockets? I kind of expect this to be true due to the low morale which slows them down.

But again good people, keep the name of the AAR in mind

And once more. Thank you all for your feedback, it is truely apreciated

Terje

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 80
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 10/31/2011 11:36:38 PM   
terje439

Turn 27

Overall
We start to live up to the name of the AAR. Ok, so maybe not disasters, but mistakes for sure has been made. Q-Ball pointed out one of them in his last post. We started to move up to the front too late, so we effectively missed out one turn of winter. As a result we only managed to make 18 attacks this turn, of which 3 failed. The Axis on their side scored a 100% result on their 3 attacks, but the results were all retreats, and not routs.
The other mistake was to start up as I always do, by flying recon flights. Forgot that you cannot alter air mission settings after air missions are flown. As a result we still had about 3/4 of our bombers set to airfield attacks instead of ground attacks. This is something I MUST remember to alter next turn.

Industry
We empty Gorlovka by moving out the remaining three heavy industries there. At the same time we start moving factories from Taganrog. Due to alot of troop movement however, we only move out two armament factories this turn.

Units
No losses this turn either. We gain 12 divsions and 23 brigades, and 12 Cav Divs reform into 4 Cav Corps. Our total strengh increase by 134.000 men this turn.

Operation Annoyment
Allready this must be considered a minor success, as the railroad north-west of Odessa is captured this turn. Our three brigades fan out between Odessa and Nikolaev. I am however considering massing them together outside Odessa as there is a fortifed zone in the city, a tempting target.

Worries
Nothing really. Seing how many factories are still left behind the current front and Stalingrad, I wonder if I will be able to move them all before the renewed Axis push in the spring/summer.
Also, our factories are starting to report resource shortages, that does not sound good as coal and iron mines cannot be moved but will be captured as the enemy advances again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 81
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 1:21:57 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Terje

They are automatic, but you have to set it up by the following:

1. Only units in a VVS airbase can do it (not SAD, IAD, BAD, or DBAD, or anything else)

2. Units must be set to "fly night missions" -YES

3. Only Level Bombers and Transports will fly it

You might save your Li-2s for paras or something, and just use Level Bombers. TB-3 and DB-3 and other old types are good for this. So are U2 transports, but the range is short

Did this change then?

(8.2.1). If those night mission enabled air group units attached to VVS air base units are not sufficient to meet the partisan needs, then transport and level bomber air group units set to night missions and attached to DBAD, AD DD, GAD DD, and GDBAD air base units may be selected by the computer to also transport supplies to partisan units.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 82
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 1:35:58 AM   
terje439

Turn 28

Overall
It seems my valiant opponent has placed out some key units on just the right spots, making it really hard for me to get by any of his units, but this turn his front starts to crumble, and I think he might have to fall back in some areas. This is a double edged sword. It forces him away from his forts, but it should fre up units for him as well.
The Axis make four attacks scoring 1 held, 2 retreats and 1 surrender. One of our understrength Inf Divs surrender to the Finnish. Not acceptable!
Our gallant troops launch 33 attacks scoring 10 held, 21 retreat, 1 rout and 1 surrender. Unfortunately the surrender was a mere Fortified Zone, so no need to bring out the Vodka and Kaviar just yet.
In the end losses are reported at 124.000 Axis and 101.000 Soviet troops. Sadly, alot of those Axis losses are inflicted on the Axis minors, espesially Hungary, Rumania and Italy.

Industry
We continue to move factories out of Tagenrog. This turn we move 1 heavy industry and 18 LaGG-3 '29 series' factories from the city. This leaves 1 heavy industry and 22 LaGG-3 factories there.

Units
As mentioned, we lose 1 Inf Div, but er gain 5 divisions and 16 brigades. Our forces show a net increase of 90.000 troops this turn.

Operation Annoyment
"Oh, and I hope at least some Ruskies died on that amphibious assault. We will deal with those swimmers!"

I would claim a success with this Operation
It seems they will soon be delt with though, but at the same time those 5 Hungarian and Rumanian troops are no longer available to the Axis at the front line.

Worries
We are back at the aerial losses. It seems that in Barbarossa the USSR airforce plays the part of Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain.
Example; 301 fighters of mixed types and 239 bombers go up against 9 Bf-109s. Losses are 12 fighters and 4 bombers. Axis losses - none.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 11/5/2011 4:27:22 PM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 83
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 1:36:43 AM   
terje439

Turn 29

Overall
Bah. Seems I am better at delaying the enemy than attacking him. I am able to cause quite a few retreats, but no routs. Combine this with poor mobility and morale of my units, and we do not really achieve much. The Axis launched 7 attacks for 2 held, 2 surrender and 3 retreat this turn. Our forces launched a total of 43 attacks with poor results. 21 held and 22 retreats is not good enough. Those 22 retreats did however destroy 4 Fortified Zones, guess that is something. My main problem is that the places where my forces are the strongest are the same places where the enemy has his best defence values.
In the end losses were 142.000 Soviet troops against 110.000 Axis losses, so once more we take higher casualties than the Axis.

Industry
We emptied Taganrog by moving 1 heavy industry and 22 LaGG-3 factories this turn.

Units
We lost two brigades and gained 3 divisions and 1 brigade.

Operation Annoyment
This is quickly running out as two out of three brigades have surrendered. The last brigade severed the rail line just outside Nikolaev. This unit will most likely surrender next turn.

Worries
I have the assets to be able to cause damage to the Axis, I am just not able to utilize it. Also the industrial output is a slight concern at the moment as more and more factories report that they are unable to produce anything due to lack of resources and supply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 11/1/2011 12:04:45 PM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 84
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 4:34:08 PM   
terje439

Turn 30

Overall
Glue! The ground MUST be covered in glue. I have seen snails make better progress than what we are capable of right now. How do you tackle a 89CV stack? Another winter turn where we take higher casualties than the Axis. We end up losing 120.000 men to the Axis loss of 87.000. Again the Axis perform a few attacks, this time 4. The results come out as 3 retreats and 1 rout. We launch 29 attacks for the results 10 held and 19 retreats. We have however cracked a few bottleneck positions, so I guess I can live with the results this turn.

Industry
We start to move factories from Voronezh this turn. First to go are 23xIL-10 factories and 1 heavy industry.

Units
We lose 1 division and 1 brigade. At the same time 10 divisions and 1 brigade are formed or unlocked this turn. 237.000 reinforcements arrive, but since we also lost 120.000 men this turn, our net gain is 117.000 troops.

Operation Annoyment
This is now over as the last brigade is lost this turn. Was it worth it? Well, we lost three weak brigades, but forced some units away from the front lines, and we cut the rail line in two locations. It was acceptable in my oppinion, espesially since our opponent should now be somewhat concerned about his naval flanks.

Worries
We are actually showing a negative gain in numbers compared to the Axis, with the notable exception of guns.

Had to edit the image after looking in the wrong coloumn on one occasion.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by terje439 -- 11/1/2011 4:40:01 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 85
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 5:09:11 PM   
gingerbread

About your worries: If you have 358 ARM factories tucked away safely, you need not worry if 6 of them are idle. Also, the T30 rate of exchange 2:3 is very good for you, keep attacking!

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 86
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/1/2011 8:14:47 PM   
terje439

Turn 31

Overall
What I have to call a good turn. We make a total of 43 attacks, of which 16 held and the remaining 27 were retreats. The good thing is that we are now forcing the Axis to either form Hero-areas or to fall back from their best fortified areas. The only losses this turn was a German fortified Zone. Total losses were 91.000 for the Axis and 129.000 for the USSR.

Industry
We continue to move factories from Voronezh, 2 Heavy Industry and 32 IL-2 factories are relocated this turn.

Units
We gain 2 divisions and lose nothing. We also recieve a net gain of 157.000 men to our units.

Worries
The uselessness of our fighter-bombers. They are shot down in droves, and achieve little.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 87
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/2/2011 1:47:18 AM   
lycortas

This is an excellent AAR, i hope you have the chance and energy to write another.

You do need to attack more this winter; if you lose 2,000,000 men and the Germans lose 1,500,000 men you still have 4.3m while the Germans would be devastated.

Mike

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 88
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/2/2011 2:09:14 AM   
terje439

Thank you for those kind words Lycortas.
Well, it is not that I do not WANT to attack
However I will not attack when the pre-battle CV values is 1:2 or worse.

Terje

(in reply to lycortas)
Post #: 89
RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) - 11/2/2011 12:28:23 PM   
terje439

Turn 32

Overall
After finishing this turn I felt I was writing the script for a slapstick comedy. The Axis stars as a locked door standing in the way of our trusty hero (the forces of the USSR). The Hero builds up speed, slams into the door, and is knocked back, ending up rubbing his shoulder.
We manage to find a total of 37 attackable (now that has got to be a new word) locations. We manage to get 1 rout (Rumanian Inf Div), 18 retreats and 18 held. The annoying part is that of those 18 battles where the defender held, 5 of them were heavily bombed before the attack, and we had a CV value of 3:1.
The Axis launched 5 attacks, scoring 1 retreat and 5 routs. All the routs where made by armored brigades that had advanced a little too far.
The casualties this turn was 154.000 USSR troops to the Axis 72.000. We are not killing enough Axis troops!
It does however seem that the Axis is hard pressed to hold the line as partisans are allowed to remain in his rear for a long time.

Industry
We emptied Voronezh as the remaining 35 IL-2 factories was relocated. We will now start to evacuate the factories in Rostov, and made a soft start this turn by moving 4 armaments factories this turn.

Units
4 divisions arrive, and we build 3 cavalry division as well as 1 infantry divisions (gotta use those CP on something).
Even with a loss of 154.000 troops this turn, we still have a net increase of 125.000 men in our divisions. No brigades are set to refit, as I prefer to keep these units available as speed bumbs for the upcoming summer.

Worries
The message to my opponent this turn: "I will give you all my fighter-bombers for 100 Bf109g's"...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Disaster in the making. Oloren (axis) vs Terje (USSR) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI