Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Work Laptop and admin rights

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Work Laptop and admin rights Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/6/2011 12:03:13 AM   
Jaypea

Hello everyone,

I lost admin rights on my work laptop and had recently removed my WITP AE game. I have the full game install file on the hard drive and I tried to reinstall the game but everytime I try loading the game it tells me that I need admin rights yet it does start the installation. It then fails with the message after it starts installing the files "could not open the unistall executable for writing". Any idea's on how to work around this issue?

I appreciate the help!

cheers
John
Post #: 1
RE: Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/6/2011 8:50:54 AM   
Itdepends

I can't help with the install- but I assume they took away admin rights to stop users intalling software on their asset (laptop). Is the grief that could eventuate if their IT dept finds out you've circumvented their policy change worth it?

For relevance- I'm under a similar situation RE can't install software on my work laptop (and would be breaching policy if I tried), prior to a recent 1 week work trip I bought a personal laptop and used that for work and WITPAE while away from home.

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 2
RE: Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/6/2011 11:28:36 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaypea

Hello everyone,

I lost admin rights on my work laptop and had recently removed my WITP AE game. I have the full game install file on the hard drive and I tried to reinstall the game but everytime I try loading the game it tells me that I need admin rights yet it does start the installation. It then fails with the message after it starts installing the files "could not open the unistall executable for writing". Any idea's on how to work around this issue?

If it's Win 7, get admin rights. I don't have one game which puts an .exe file on the HD that will install without me inserting the Admin password. Win 7/Vista was specifically designed to reenforce admin rights over users in an enterprise environment. It's burned into the kernel. Corporate IT managers love this feature. Users not so much, but them what pays gets to set the rules.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 11/6/2011 11:29:00 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Jaypea)
Post #: 3
RE: Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/7/2011 6:31:00 PM   
soticrandy

If your operating system is Windows 7, try right clicking on the executable and selecting "Run as Administrator". If prompted for a username/password try your domain\username and network password. If that fails you will have to contact IT and check if it is a violation of the companies IT policies to install third party software.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 4
RE: Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/7/2011 9:46:03 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Your boss wants you to use the lap top ONLY for working I hope you may find a workaround. I'm sure you will manage to do that.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to soticrandy)
Post #: 5
RE: Work Laptop and admin rights - 11/9/2011 4:18:27 AM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Your boss wants you to use the lap top ONLY for working I hope you may find a workaround. I'm sure you will manage to do that.

You could try install the game on a large memory stick.... setting all the permissions necessary on you box at home....

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Work Laptop and admin rights Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI