Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Question (no Michaelm please)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 5:30:15 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
I was thinking about cutting down on the losses. Every time you exchange a currency, the bank, credit card co, or Paypal take a cut. If the donations were received in Aus dollars, then they could be used directly to buy something in Aus.

I think ordering something in Aus to be delivered in Aus is the best option. I don't have his address, but I know who does, and JWE is probably thinking along the same lines.

Bill

I am thinking along precisely the same lines. I've seen this before, where everybody wants to get together and do something, but everyone goes off on a different tangent and nothing ends up happening. So I have a proposal.

1) One of us, and I nominate Wdolson because I know he is a straight up person and won't screw this up, opens a simple deposit account, or creates a separate ledger entry in their own account.
2) Anybody wanting to contribute sends that person (Bill) a check (cheque). None of this paypal crap or other tech nonsense guaranteed to get you off the hook; put a damn check in the mail and send it to Bill, and make it out to Bill. And Bill will deposit it (and I know he will, because I trust him).
3) Bank deposits are at date-of-deposit currency conversion rates, so one can send a check for Dollars, Euros, Zlotys, Rubles or Sheckels. No worries.
4) Openly post a cut-off date. Any checks received after that date will be destroyed (and I know Bill will do that, because I trust him).
5) After the cut-off date, Bill sends Michael an email that says "In recognition of your exemplary support of the WiTP-AE Game and User Community." along with a list of contributor's names.
6) And then it's like user's choice; wire transfer, Bank Check; the "means" are endless. Michael gets a well deserved encomium that he can use as he wishes.

A very simple thing. Send the "designated depositor" a simple check for maybe US $5.00 (or equivalent, or more) and have faith that it will go to where it needs to. I suggest Bill because he is universally accepted as an honest citizen here. I'll be glad to help him if he wants. Send a PM to the "designated depositor", saying who you are and they will send you a name to put in the Payee field, and an address to send it to.

If Bill is ok with this, he will say so.

I think there should be one person and I agree that Bill is a good choice, but I also think paypal is by far the way to go. Much simpler and more likely to get people to contribute. He can just open a paypal account for this purposes or use his own. I frankly would prefer not to be the money person just because I suggested it and don't want anyone to send money to me - but could if there are no other takers. Could be canoerebel if he's willing. Seems like a trustworthy guy.

There are also a lot of problems with sending cheques oversees - or even between Canada and the US. So I think cheques are a "no go". Paypal would be easy, even if they take a cut. I'm happy to provide paypal with a 3% commission or wahtever for this service.

< Message edited by rader -- 12/4/2011 5:33:14 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 61
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 6:17:16 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: rader
I think there should be one person and I agree that Bill is a good choice, but I also think paypal is by far the way to go. Much simpler and more likely to get people to contribute. He can just open a paypal account for this purposes or use his own. I frankly would prefer not to be the money person just because I suggested it and don't want anyone to send money to me - but could if there are no other takers. Could be canoerebel if he's willing. Seems like a trustworthy guy.

There are also a lot of problems with sending cheques oversees - or even between Canada and the US. So I think cheques are a "no go". Paypal would be easy, even if they take a cut. I'm happy to provide paypal with a 3% commission or wahtever for this service.

PAYPAL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Are we frikkin clear !! This is not a frikkin business and we are ot interested in frikkin paying for frikkin PAYPAL for such a simple thing.

If you are so arrogant and so stupid as to have a problem sending a simple check (what every single stinking business does every single single stinking day) then you are nothing more than a simple lying piece of pig feces that never wanted to contribute in the first place and just wanted to find some self-absorbed rationale to quit you from something you benefit from but of which you are incapable of understanding.

Yeah, I know you people. If someone says A you swine whine it should be B. Yeah, I know you people. And I know you really don't want to play, all you want to do is post with your pathetic little fake problems.

Do it or not. We know who you frikkin are.

I knew this would happen. I knew that some worthless pimple would do this in order to get off the hook.

One either does it the way it is suggested, or one goes about ones business and make it clear you don't want to contribute. Just don't give us that juvenile, techie, paypal, pig manure.

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 62
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 6:33:16 PM   
rader

Wow.

If I send a cheque to the US or anywhere else from Canada, I don't think they will cash it. But I am happy to try to send a cheque for this if it is the only way to go.

But if everyone is mailing a cheque fora couple bucks, then isn't the commision to the postal service way higher than a paypal one anyway? That's way more overhead.

< Message edited by rader -- 12/4/2011 6:47:50 PM >

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 63
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 6:33:21 PM   
MateDow

quote:

PAYPAL IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Are we frikkin clear !! This is not a frikkin business and we are ot interested in frikkin paying for frikkin PAYPAL for such a simple thing.

If you are so arrogant and so stupid as to have a problem sending a simple check (what every single stinking business does every single single stinking day) then you are nothing more than a simple lying piece of pig feces that never wanted to contribute in the first place and just wanted to find some self-absorbed rationale to quit you from something you benefit from but of which you are incapable of understanding.

Yeah, I know you people. If someone says A you swine whine it should be B. Yeah, I know you people. And I know you really don't want to play, all you want to do is post with your pathetic little fake problems.

I knew this would happen. I knew that some worthless pimple would do this in order to get off the hook.

One either does it the way it is suggested, or one goes about ones business and make it clear you don't want to contribute. Just don't give us that juvenile, techie, paypal, pig manure.

Whoa, chill. I think that is a little bit of an overreaction to this.

I don't see this as people trying to use PayPal as an excuse to not contribute. It seems that people are trying to use PayPal because it would make it easier for them to contribute.

I know that many people use electronic forms of payment for all of there needs. Even the business I work for pays all of its bills (including payroll) electronically.

I personally can't remember the last time that I paid with, or received an actual paper check. So, I do agree with the people that say that there should be an option for paying electronically.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 64
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 6:38:28 PM   
chesmart

John lets please have both options paypal and cheques that way everybody can all contribute. In Europe a lot of people do not use cheques any more that's the main problem. I am ready to pay for the charges that's the least of the problems, With paypal you will have a list of the people who contributed as well so there will be a receipt as well both the receipent and the sender will have the receipt. Now can we start contributing please so we can send michael his Single Malt.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 65
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 6:57:32 PM   
Retsel

WOW - '' Out toys pram throw of ''

Id like to contribute as well for all Michaelm's hard work in keeping game updated, its beyond the call of duty and hes doing us all a great service.

I will only contribute by paypal.

If Mr Angry/Green wants to do cheques then fine, for those that have cheques in their country and have them issued to themselves.

The rest of the majority would like a paypal contribution method im sure - if someone ELSE would take up that mantle i will contribute

However it is done it shoudlnt be an issue, and making a drama out of it wont hopefully mean it will fail

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 66
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 7:02:48 PM   
GreyJoy

I'm obviously in. Don't mind if Visa, Mastercard, AMex, Paypal (even if i never used Paypal), cash or check (i don't have the check book either but i can get one if i ask to my bank).

I vote for a bottle of Vodka...a bottle of Belvedere makes everyone happy

(in reply to Retsel)
Post #: 67
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 7:04:04 PM   
chesmart

Wdolson can you send me your Paypal email so I will send you my donation

(in reply to Retsel)
Post #: 68
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 7:43:33 PM   
darbycmcd

JWE, maybe you haven't dealt with international banking issues very often, but paypal is a far preferable option for this type of effort. As some people have pointed out, Europeans don't even get checks anymore, and I think most Americans under 40 only use them for rent. And have you ever tried to cash a foreign check at your local bank? The effort, fees, and postage on a small donation make your idea impractical for the international nature of this board.

Your personal attacks on those people who want to use paypal is totally uncalled for and childish (especially as you are just wrong). Who are you to decide what is "unacceptable"? And to say that someone who disagrees with you is 'pig feces', 'stupid', 'a pimple', 'junenile', and 'pathetic'. My god, what kind of person are you to react that way? There has recently been a sort of playground mentality around this board, with some posters reacting very violently to 'transgressors'. You have added so much to the WitP community, but that doesn't excuse elementary school bully behavior either.

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 69
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:01:24 PM   
Banzan

Last checks i had were eurocheques, and these were taken out of use on januray 1st, 2002 already. I'm not even sure they were usable outside europe.

(in reply to darbycmcd)
Post #: 70
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:05:26 PM   
Miller

Cheques? Are we still in the 1980s?

I don't know what JWE's problem is but his comments to Rader are totally out of order.

(in reply to Banzan)
Post #: 71
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:09:39 PM   
obvert

I live in the UK and routinely have trouble doing anything with checks from the US with my UK account. I have to send them back to my B of A account in FL, but I'm pretty sure an Austrailian won't have that option.

People in the US could mail checks to the person doing the account. The rest of us NEED something like paypal.

When this is created and sorted can someone start a new thread to let us all know?

(in reply to darbycmcd)
Post #: 72
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:22:18 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

JWE,

In lot of Europe, cheques are not available...electronic transactions have taken over that way back.

I haven't seen one out of ex-Commonwealth places (like Malta or Gibraltar) in 20 years... Since I live in Malta, but my money is in non-Maltese bank, I will not be able to get a cheque..just not possible. They are only used in international trade between companies in most of Europe nowadays...and since I don't own a company, I cannot get any issued in name of one.

On the other hand, I'll be able to use debit/credit card either via several internet wallets (e.g. PayPal, NETeller, Moneybookers) or use direct electronic transfer from my bank account to recepient bank account. E-wallets are just way more convenient than latter..and rack up way less charges than latter.

I have to battle every time company tries to suggest sending cheque to our Finnish private clients..having to explain that if you are not sending hundreds of pounds sterling, charges to cash that cheque in Finland would be larger than monetary value of the cheque. Not to mention it'd take time to find bank willing to do that, since none has obligation to cash/exchange/deposit foreign cheques.

I hope you can see WHY the idea of cheque does not float. I, for one, would be totally unable to obtain one, for starters. Then I'd have to mail it with considerable delay. Then there would not be any guarantee that receiver would be actually able to change it to money to be used.

With direct electronic transaction, money is there immediately.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/4/2011 8:25:37 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 73
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:23:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Same here. if I ever tried to send a check worth 5 euros in my local bank, they would certainly call the madhouse guys and put me on the straitjacket... In fact I suspect this service does N O T exist anymore...

I just have created a paypal account and linked it with my credit card. In theory I should be able to send the money tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Bill, if you run with the money the next collect will be to hire assassins

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 74
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:44:06 PM   
jeffk3510

quote:

quote:

...because this reeeally makes me want me to open up my wallet now... Besides, no offense, hes not the only one who contributes to this game....

I guess I am just pig feces or whatever, as I use it for all internet activity when available.

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 12/4/2011 8:46:29 PM >

Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Currently chasing three kids around the Midwest.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 75
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 8:55:37 PM   
aztez

I can contribute if the paypal system is available as option since definately good cause here.  I think have those login details somewhere for that system.

I haven't seen any cheques here in Finland since early 1990's.

Also those comments towards Rader where way  way way out of line.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 76
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:03:04 PM   
aoffen

Isn't it funny how good intentions can go astray.

I would like to contribute too, but sending a domestic A$ cheque is not very practical. I am pretty sure a US bank will not accept it to be honest, at least that has been my experience trying to pay for things in the US in the past.

Anyway if someone sends me his address I am happy to organize a gift from here. People can pay me by PayPal and if I get more than the scotch costs I'll keep sending him bottles until the money runs out. If I get less then I will contribute more - it's Christmas. Let's be honest, a bottle of Scotch is not that dear.

Happy to help. Merry Christmas
Andrew

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 77
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:14:04 PM   
fbs

Hey, I'm in for that.

I can contribute with PayPal, check, money order, money inside a letter, postcard, order for delivery in Australia, catalog gift... you name it, I'm game.

Thanks!
fbs

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 78
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:15:26 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

Isn't it funny how good intentions can go astray.

I would like to contribute too, but sending a domestic A$ cheque is not very practical. I am pretty sure a US bank will not accept it to be honest, at least that has been my experience trying to pay for things in the US in the past.

Anyway if someone sends me his address I am happy to organize a gift from here. People can pay me by PayPal and if I get more than the scotch costs I'll keep sending him bottles until the money runs out. If I get less then I will contribute more - it's Christmas. Let's be honest, a bottle of Scotch is not that dear.

Happy to help. Merry Christmas
Andrew

Thanks Andrew! Probably easiest to have an Australian point man.

If you want to set up the account and send us the details in a new thread, we can start the process. Based on the support, it looks like something very low (like $5 each) would be enough. If no one know his address or we can't find it within a week or so, we can straight out ask him if worst comes to worst.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 79
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:27:20 PM   
Smeulders

No offence meant to aoffen, but I'd like some people who've had a good deal of contact with him to vouch for him first. Weren't there a couple of Australians in the development team? They might be good candidates as well (if they are willing of course).

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 80
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:52:17 PM   
aoffen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

No offence meant to aoffen, but I'd like some people who've had a good deal of contact with him to vouch for him first. Weren't there a couple of Australians in the development team? They might be good candidates as well (if they are willing of course).

Fair enough. Rob Carpenter (jrcar) knows me. Just trying to help.
Rgds
Andrew

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 81
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:53:57 PM   
rader

quote:

For the low amount of cash we're talking, I'm personally willing to take the risk. I doubt someone would screw everyone over for a couple hundred bucks. But I've asked Andrew Brown if he is willing (I think he's Australian?). Who else on the dev team is from Australia?

EDIT: just saw aoffen's post. Smeulder's, would you feel comfortable with him if jcar provides a reference?

< Message edited by rader -- 12/4/2011 9:55:33 PM >

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 82
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:56:19 PM   
jrcar

Gents, I'm happy to facilitate this, I use paypal all the time, I'm in Australia (1 hr north of Melbourne) and I was one of the BETA Testers. Please confirm you are generally happy with this approach. I can also take VISA mastercard through my business, but will need to charge 2% extra to cover costs.

JWE cheques just don't work internationally, costs $20 to have an Australian bank generate a check in US$ for a US bank (and sometimes the US bank will not accept)... even when transferring electronically (which I do frequently in my model train business). Even in Australia I wrote 1 check in the last year for my business, about 2 the year before. Haven't had a a personal cheque account for over 5 years.

Cheers

Rob

AE BETA Breaker

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 83
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 9:59:09 PM   
rader

quote:

ORIGINAL: jrcar

Gents, I'm happy to facilitate this, I use paypal all the time, I'm in Australia (1 hr north of Melbourne) and I was one of the BETA Testers. Please confirm you are generally happy with this approach. I can also take VISA mastercard through my business, but will need to charge 2% extra to cover costs.

JWE cheques just don't work internationally, costs $20 to have an Australian bank generate a check in US$ for a US bank (and sometimes the US bank will not accept)... even when transferring electronically (which I do frequently in my model train business). Even in Australia I wrote 1 check in the last year for my business, about 2 the year before. Haven't had a a personal cheque account for over 5 years.

Cheers

Rob

This sounds great to me, thanks so much Rob! (Sorry if I'm posting too much guys, I'm not trying to run this, just trying to see it through)

(in reply to jrcar)
Post #: 84
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:01:58 PM   
JWE

Obviously all you all want to do is talk. Ok then, figure it amongst yourselves (that will be the day).

Meanwhile, it's happening as described. I have pms from the US, UK, France, Italy, Croatia, Sweden, Finland, Brasil, So.Africa, Aus, NZ, oops and just now Belgium, so far, looking for a place to send a check. I gave them my name and address (sorry Bill). One can either contribute or not.

[ed] and please don't play 12 year-old games. If I get a check for Wiemar D-Marks, I "will" send the police to your door with a complaint for electronic financial fraud. Have a nice day.

< Message edited by JWE -- 12/4/2011 10:14:19 PM >

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 85
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:03:42 PM   
aoffen

Ok Rob, your it!!! (well as far as I am concerned anyway)
Will you accept payment in Wemar republic D-Marks?

(in reply to rader)
Post #: 86
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:04:16 PM   
rader

Alright, looks like he'll just get 2 bottles then - one from the payapl people, and one from the cheque people

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 87
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:12:41 PM   
aoffen

JWE

On a serious non abusive note. If you can get a US bank to accept foreign currency cheques can you let me know. I honestly believe that it won't so would love to know if that assumption is wrong. If they are sending you US$ cheques that's one thing, but if your bank will accept Euros, Pounds, Kroner, A$, NZ$, SA Rand, etc. etc I am genuinely impressed and it's actually (believe it or not) quite big news for us non US types who buy stuff there sometimes.

You know what they say about assumptions - to assume is to make an ass of you and me.

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 88
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:16:36 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

quote:

Fair enough. Rob Carpenter (jrcar) knows me. Just trying to help.
Rgds
Andrew

jrcar would have served perfectly as a reference and I'm OK with him doing it as well (in this case you're serving as the reference).

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 89
RE: Question (no Michaelm please) - 12/4/2011 10:37:42 PM   
aoffen

quote:

[ed] and please don't play 12 year-old games. If I get a check for Wiemar D-Marks, I "will" send the police to your door with a complaint for electronic financial fraud. Have a nice day.

Mate relax, it was a joke to Rob who I know quite well. Sorry if I upset you. I don't understand the hostility. Apologies if it is something I have triggered. Anyway I am serious about the cheque question. Will your bank really accept foreign country cheques in their currency?

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Question (no Michaelm please) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI