Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Storyline question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Storyline question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:40:42 AM   
StarWolf

How can I play the original storyline without playing the Shakturi expansion storyline? On the Victory Conditions screen when you start a new game there are two checkboxes, one to include the original storyline and the second to include the events for the Shakturi expansion. Shouldn't I be able to control it by checking or unchecking these?

In two straight games I have checked the first box (original storyline) and unchecked the second Shakturi storyline box but both times I have investigated things early in-game that have appeared to open the Shakturi storyline. It's always a message about the Shaktur Axis arriving in our galaxy and working to overthrow all empires in the area. That doesn't sound like the original storyline. Since I unchecked the Shakturi checkbox shouldn't this bit not be showing up?

Is this a bug or am I just doing something wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:48:25 AM   
Nedrear

No the original storyline tells you about the old war and leads you to old wartechs. It will NOT let the Shakturi spawn. Thats what the expansion is for. The basic story is the same... it's like a chapter in books.

One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 3:04:08 AM   
StarWolf

Well, I unchecked the Shakturi story option in the setup and I'm still getting it anyway. This must be a bug then.

(in reply to Nedrear)
Post #: 3
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:18:01 PM   
martok

Nope, it's not a bug. (Read on....)

quote:

ORIGINAL: StarWolf

It's always a message about the Shaktur Axis arriving in our galaxy and working to overthrow all empires in the area. That doesn't sound like the original storyline.

Actually, that *is* the original storyline. (That's what Nedrear was trying to tell you.) I still have just vanilla DW, and what you've described is exactly the same storyline I get when I play.

< Message edited by martok -- 12/9/2011 2:20:18 PM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 4
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:20:30 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

Yes. Original storylines include (as far as I know) the following:

Ship Debris Fields
World Destroyer
Lots of Hints about Galactic History
A few seemingly randomish events (probably generated by exploration) affecting the morale of a few races.
Some lost tech (Death Ray) to find

RotS Storyline includes:

Ancient Guardians
The Freaking Shakturi are Coming

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 5
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:30:09 PM   
StarWolf

THANK YOU!!!

I was going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 6
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:33:04 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

Nope, it's not a bug. (Read on....)

quote:

It's always a message about the Shaktur Axis arriving in our galaxy and working to overthrow all empires in the area. That doesn't sound like the original storyline.

Actually, that *is* the original storyline. (That's what Nedrear was trying to tell you.) I still have just vanilla DW, and what you've described is exactly the same storyline I get when I play.

Yeah, the only difference is that the Shakturi don't spawn on map when you uncheck the ROTS storyline. You still get all the ruins and events, just no big bad bugs trying to wipe you out.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 7
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:35:56 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

THANK YOU!!!

I was going nuts trying to figure out what was wrong.

I live to serve.. and eat adventurers under level 4 who wander into my 10x10 dungeon corridor.

(in reply to StarWolf)
Post #: 8
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 2:47:26 PM   
Fideach

Speaking of "The Freaking Shakturi are Coming", how do you trigger that event? I have yet to get to actually fight them. I've gotten the World Destroyer, the history of who fought who and on whos side. The refugee ships, the refugee bases, found the "Way of the Ancients", etc. But they never show up.

Post #: 9
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 3:06:39 PM   
Canute0

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube
RYes. Original storylines include (as far as I know) the following:

Ship Debris Fields
World Destroyer
Lots of Hints about Galactic History
A few seemingly randomish events (probably generated by exploration) affecting the morale of a few races.
Some lost tech (Death Ray) to find

Nope the lost techs arn't part of any storyline not the original not the Shakturi.
Lost tech is allways found at the Ruins, you even get them whithout these storyline, its just randowm.

Post #: 10
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 3:11:39 PM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fideach

Speaking of "The Freaking Shakturi are Coming", how do you trigger that event? I have yet to get to actually fight them. I've gotten the World Destroyer, the history of who fought who and on whos side. The refugee ships, the refugee bases, found the "Way of the Ancients", etc. But they never show up.

Well, I'm gonna say it, but it'll be in Spoilers. Because this is a really cool thing to have happen if you DON'T know its coming! And since spoiler tags don't seem to work (or I can't figure out how to do them on this forum) I will just create a link to an image of a word document showing what I was planning on typing in spoiler tags (jerry-rigging the internet.. a valuable 21st century skill):

Spoilers and Stuff

I have never won this storyline. Never. I'm sure plenty of people have, but I find it incredibly challenging, on top of the fact that it only rarely shows up in my games (Victory Time Limit usually set to 99 years, Game Time Limit usually disabled).

I know I missed a ton of stuff, so if someone who knows more would like to elaborate more, by all means! Also, maybe some strategies for beating them.. so far I've not succeeded.

quote:

Nope the lost techs arn't part of any storyline not the original not the Shakturi.
Lost tech is allways found at the Ruins, you even get them whithout these storyline, its just randowm.

Good to know! Do you know if the government types are affected at all? It seems like when I play with Storylines off, I get the special governments (Way of Darkness, Way of Ancients) frequently, while I can't remember ever finding them once when storylines are on.

< Message edited by Gelatinous Cube -- 12/9/2011 3:14:27 PM >

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 11
RE: Storyline question - 12/9/2011 3:14:33 PM   
Fideach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fideach

Well, I'm gonna say it, but it'll be in Spoilers. Because this is a really cool thing to have happen if you DON'T know its coming! And since spoiler tags don't seem to work (or I can't figure out how to do them on this forum) I will just create a link to an image of a word document showing what I was planning on typing in spoiler tags (jerry-rigging the internet.. a valuable 21st century skill):

Spoilers and Stuff

I have never won this storyline. Never. I'm sure plenty of people have, but I find it incredibly challenging, on top of the fact that it only rarely shows up in my games (Victory Time Limit usually set to 99 years, Game Time Limit usually disabled).

I know I missed a ton of stuff, so if someone who knows more would like to elaborate more, by all means! Also, maybe some strategies for beating them.. so far I've not succeeded.

Okay, thanks! Pretty much what I've read so far about them. I just can't ever seem to get lucky in the regards of triggering there arrival.

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Storyline question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI