Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/13/2011 10:10:43 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I would suggest something better for the Chinese Communists. That is to crush the 3-1 GAR which is quite vulnerable on his own. I suggest moving Mao into Sian, the GAR there into the hex NW of the city and there you are, a 6-1 attack (no Chinese attack weakness from Communists...).
Now, those bloody Japs should know there is a price in grabbing all those Chinese cities. An attack is the best defense there is in this situation. And, even better: next impulse you're threathening to kill that 4-3 MIL too, by moving across the river.
Also, the Communist CAV should move aggressively 2 hexes East. Imagine what happens if that CAV will cut off the railroad supply by ZOC it. Let the Japanese advance if they want to. Terauchi will have to stay put, to keep his army in supply. I'm sure they won't like a communist CAV taking back cities now under Japanese control and putting a whole Japanese army group out of supply if he grabs Chengchow or Kaifeng... I really love CAV units in empty backlands, especially if I'm able to retake home cities and get in supply at the end of a turn so I'm going to move again. Peking, here I come...
The Japanese isn't paying attention to his defenses against the man with his Red Book... So I would use those Chinese ricepaddies and start moving into Japanese controlled area's. Let him try to put my CAV out of action. That isn't very easily done...
The Jap CAV moves next impulse: let him. He'll move himself OOS and thus out of the action. I would suggest retreating the Cheng-Tu Warlord towards his home city to prevent that CAV from doing harm...

I decided to try a combination of the two suggestions. Looking at things, it's just too dangerous to let that Japanese CAV behind the lines, but it is also slowed an impulse by abandoning Ankang. This position takes up only 4 of the Soviet moves, and if he survives the attack (and remains organized), the Lanchow Warlord can still get back to prevent the Japanese CAV from getting too far later. If things go bad, the Sian MIL can reach the same hex. I also like the idea of threatening to take one of those pivotal supply-cities. The CAV isn't likely to make it to any of them, but it will force the Japanese to use 2 units to keep him from doing so.

Also, this lets the Communists punish that GARR, as Centuur suggests.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 451
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/13/2011 10:18:38 PM   
Red Prince

The Communists go on the offensive near Sian:

And the results:

Attack on China [75, 137]: Assault, Roll = 10 = */2S

And the 4-1 GAR moves into the hex, making a strong attack on Sian impossible, and not just improbable. Good call (and good luck, too) on that one, Centuur.

Attachment (1)

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 452
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/13/2011 10:40:25 PM   
Red Prince

I'm not going to post much from the rest of the impulse, but I'll tell you what happened:

The CW evacuated Gort and loaded a GARR and a shortish-ranged LND onto TRS to send to Morocco. It also rebased 2 LND from the UK to Rabat (long-range ones). The Royal Navy cleared the E. Med of Italian units (a CL and a Convoy), but failed in its search for the Italians in the W. Med. Other than that, not much besides sailing other fleets into position and seting up Convoys in the Persian Gulf so that the USSR can finally use those 2 Persian Oil Points for production.

In France, there was little to do but make a few moves to annoy the Germans. Just a reminder -- as I've said several times, the entire French fleet is disorganized, so there is no evacuation possibility this turn. Maybe next, if they survive that long.

The Soviets sent 3 LND and a FTR up to the Leningrad area. Now that the Communists have hindered the Japanese advance a bit, it's time to put some pressure on the Germans, forcing them to decide if they are going to concede the Finnish Borderlands or not. This may take several turns to prepare, but I think it is worth doing.

And, since this game seems to be running to extremes, it should come as no surprise that the weather roll for the 3rd impulse was . . . . a '1' of all things. Watch the Germans shake their heads in dismay, and the Italians beginning to pull out their hair.

Actually, this isn't so bad for them. Next impulse has a damn good chance of very good weather in both the Med and the N. Temperate zones, so there will yet be a chance to take Athens and possibly even Toulouse (though that may be more difficult). Definitely gonna have to rail Antonescu in to the French war zones now.

Don't know when I'll take up the next two impulses, since I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, but I'll try to get it done in the next day or two.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 453
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/13/2011 10:42:42 PM   
Red Prince

I was just thinking that this may actually be a good time for the Germans to run another Combined impulse. So many of the land units will be hindered by the Blizzards that it may be more valuable to get those extra air missions for rebasing purposes.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 454
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/13/2011 11:39:00 PM   
Taxman66

Not to mention at least an attempt with the german subs.

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 455
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:07:19 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

Not to mention at least an attempt with the german subs.

It's not going to be the German submarines doing some damage in the Combined Action, I'm afraid. First, I want to show you the CW forces in the North Sea:

This is the Naval Review Details (NRD) form, which you probably haven't see yet. It separates the forces in a sea area or port into Carriers, Battleships, Cruisers, and Transports & Submarines. You can also see which units are loaded onto each CV, CVL, AMPH, or TRS. I've set the NRD form so that it also shows the section each unit is in just below the unit.

As you can see, the main fleet is in the 3 Box, while the TRS fleet is in the 0 Box. Now, before anyone screams bloody murder for leaving the TRS fleet unprotected, please remember three things:

1. The chances of a Storm or Blizzard in this sea area, causeing the CVPs to be useless were only 30% this impulse.
2. This was the only way to evacuate Gort and to load units for transport to North Africa.
3. If the 70% chance of the CVPs being effective happened, even at half of their factors, Germany never would have had the chance to try what it is about to try.

In fact, as the German player, I didn't even think of doing something like this until the weather made a Combined Action the best option.

So, first I give you the NRD showing the CW fleet in the North Sea:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/14/2011 1:24:11 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 456
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:11:29 PM   
Red Prince

So, with Combined Actions for all three Axis powers, Italy sailed a fleet into the E. Med hoping to hurt the CW and prepare for an invasion of Athens next impulse . . .

And Germany sent its small but powerful fleet of 6 SCS into the North Sea 4 Box, hungry to kill off some TRS or CVs.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 457
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:17:49 PM   
Red Prince

Germany needed a roll of '4' to find, and the CW needed a roll of '3' to find. Both get a +1 to the actual die roll due to the weather.

Germany rolled a '3' and the CW rolled a '4' which is shown in parentheses next to the final Search Rolls shown in the Choose Sea Box Sections form. This means that the German search succeeds and the CW search fails, giving the Germans the chance to select which enemy units to include. Seeing a brilliant opportunity, the main fleet is left out in the cold, while the TRS fleet is chosen (you can see this in the lower right corner, where the 3 Section check-box is un-selected).

The Germans polish their cannons and start drooling in anticipation . . .

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 458
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:21:54 PM   
Red Prince

Time to spend some Surprise Points, to make sure that this attack works as planned. Germany uses 4 of its 5 Surprise Points to Increase Naval Combat Columns. With any luck at all, this should remove at least 2 TRS from play for a minimum of 2 turns, doing some major harm to the CW war effort.

You can see the Original Result and the Expected Result (which is in red because the extra columns changed it) on the left side of this form:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 459
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:33:48 PM   
Red Prince

Despite their best efforts, the Blizzard seems to have been just too much for the German gunners in this round of the Naval Combat; the TRS carrying the GARR was destroyed, but the other 2 TRS were only aborted -- and what's worse for the Germans, is they've actually saved the CW some effort, since both of these TRS should be able to Abort all the way to Morocco, their final intended destination . . .

Granted, those units will be disorganized for the rest of the turn, but that would have been the case even if the CW had used Naval Moves to get the units to Morocco. Oh, well. At least the CW is short a TRS now, and will have to rebuild it and the GARR.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/14/2011 1:34:09 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 460
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:41:26 PM   
Red Prince

Hoping to take out a CV or two, Germany decides to continue the fight. The CW, praying for the odds to turn and expecting to take out a few of the remaining German BBs and CAs, also decides to continue to fight.

But, again, Germany rolls a '3' and the CW this time rolls a '5'.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 461
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:47:36 PM   
Red Prince

This time, because the enemy is in a higher Section Box, the Germans only get 3 Surprise Points to spend. Instead of Increasing or Decreasing Columns, those points will be used to select the first target (aiming to kill of the CV Ark Royal). Select Target, at the bottom of the list of options, is not selectable yet, because the options are offered in order; after this form is closed, it will re-open with that button active.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 462
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 1:58:28 PM   
Red Prince

This Blizzard is apparently hurting everyone's chances of hitting the target.

In Round 2:

Germany successfully knocked out its target, the CV Ark Royal (and its CVP, of course) and damaged the York, too, but failed to abort either of the big BBs.

The Commonwealth failed just as miserably, damaging the CA Admiral Hipper and aborting another CA, but failing to decrease the German fleet significantly for the time being.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 463
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 2:05:31 PM   
Red Prince

Feeling a little cocky, the Germans remain to fight some more. Feeling exasperated, the CW does the same.

But this time the Germans roll a '4' and the CW rolls an '8' and there is no more combat. All that remains to be done is to abort units.

This is the Naval Abort Queue, showing the current units to be aborted in the upper right panel, the units available to abort as part of this group in the upper left panel, and all other units waiting to be aborted in the lower panel.

In this case, I first thought I would abort only Gort and his TRS to Casablanca, but I think I'll change that to include both TRS (I wanted to show units in all 3 panels).

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 464
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 2:12:11 PM   
Red Prince

Final tally:

Germany Destroyed 1 x TRS, 1 x GARR, 1 x Class-3 CV, 1 x Class-3 CVP
Germany Damages 1 x CA

Commonwealth Damages 1 x CA

I think that the Germans "won" this battle.
-----
Edit: Also, in the E. Med, Italy destroyed a CW convoy and a CL, and aborted another CW convoy and CL, while suffering only an abort on the CA Fiume. After that, searches failed.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/14/2011 2:54:17 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 465
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 2:59:01 PM   
Red Prince

Only one attack this impulse, on that pesky Marseilles MIL:

And the results:

Attack on France [60, 28]: Assault, Fractional Odds .964 (No), Roll = 6+1 = 7 = */2S

Goodbye, Marseilles Militia.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 466
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 3:16:31 PM   
Red Prince

Very little else to report about the impulse. HQ-I Antonescu railed from Rumania to France, and the Germans rebsed aircraft to the South. Italy prepared for its upcoming attack on Athens and moved into Morocco. Japan actually made an attempt to outflank the Nationalist Chinese coming from the north, but it could be just a diversion:

And now on to Impulse #6 for the Allies (and off to the doctor for me).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/14/2011 3:17:08 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 467
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 4:31:16 PM   
Red Prince

I was just re-reading the rules, and if Italy can get control of Athens in the next impulse, and if there is another Axis impulse after that one . . .

Italy can align Yugoslavia before the turn ends!

This might have negative US Entry consequences, but the extra RP and Factories are worth the risk, I think. Not to mention the extra units.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 468
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 6:39:35 PM   
Centuur

A couple of things here... First, there is the bloody murder thing. I hope the lesson the Germans gave has been learned. If the CW hasn't got any TRS/AMPH on the spiral, build a TRS at once. The loss is going to have a serious impact on the CW.
Second: the Germans haven't got any victory at sea at this point.  The major thing an admiral should know is when to decide it's time to withdraw. The sortie of the Germans into the North Sea to kill the "naked" TRS is good and should always be done. To continue the attack for trying to get a kill on the CW best carrier should also be done, since there aren't any losses on the German fleet at that point. One TRS and the Ark Royal Sunk. Good. However: why stay and continue the fight? You've got good results (with luck) in the first two attacks. You've got minor losses. Things would have been different when one (or two) of those big BB's would have been aborted, but since this didn't happen, you're now outgunned and if you lose more ships, it are the nice strong German ships which you will have to pick for taking losses. The German Admiral has a good result on his sortie, so abort now, before Graf Spee, Deutschland or worse is going to sink into the North Sea. However: you've stayed. The weatherservice is predicting good weather and for a fleet without air cover, that's awful news: if the UK can get a ship (or worse, a NAV) into the North Sea next impulse, with good weather the German admiral will have to pray the CW doesn't find the German ships. If he does, the Germans aren't going to win this battle at all, since the remaining CW CV's will try to kill the German Hochseeflotte, without the Germans being able to kill more than a CVP. Of course, if Herman Göring got some FTR's on the coast, things are different, but I've got the impression that this isn't the case...
About Yugoslavia: align it as soon as possible. Build points are everything in this game and are usually of more importance than US entry.

By the way: good luck at the doctor.

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/14/2011 6:43:32 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 469
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 7:19:17 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

A couple of things here... First, there is the bloody murder thing. I hope the lesson the Germans gave has been learned. If the CW hasn't got any TRS/AMPH on the spiral, build a TRS at once. The loss is going to have a serious impact on the CW.
Second: the Germans haven't got any victory at sea at this point.  The major thing an admiral should know is when to decide it's time to withdraw. The sortie of the Germans into the North Sea to kill the "naked" TRS is good and should always be done. To continue the attack for trying to get a kill on the CW best carrier should also be done, since there aren't any losses on the German fleet at that point. One TRS and the Ark Royal Sunk. Good. However: why stay and continue the fight? You've got good results (with luck) in the first two attacks. You've got minor losses. Things would have been different when one (or two) of those big BB's would have been aborted, but since this didn't happen, you're now outgunned and if you lose more ships, it are the nice strong German ships which you will have to pick for taking losses. The German Admiral has a good result on his sortie, so abort now, before Graf Spee, Deutschland or worse is going to sink into the North Sea. However: you've stayed. The weatherservice is predicting good weather and for a fleet without air cover, that's awful news: if the UK can get a ship (or worse, a NAV) into the North Sea next impulse, with good weather the German admiral will have to pray the CW doesn't find the German ships. If he does, the Germans aren't going to win this battle at all, since the remaining CW CV's will try to kill the German Hochseeflotte, without the Germans being able to kill more than a CVP. Of course, if Herman Göring got some FTR's on the coast, things are different, but I've got the impression that this isn't the case...
About Yugoslavia: align it as soon as possible. Build points are everything in this game and are usually of more importance than US entry.

By the way: good luck at the doctor.

There are, as far as I can remember, a German NAV and 2 FTRs on or very near the North Sea coast. It was part of the rebasing that I did for Germany. I'll post an image of that later (I'll try to remember), but I'm kind of tired right now.

The reason I stayed for another round was because the Germans actually weren't outgunned. They were still in the same Surface Row as the CW (29-38), and had fewer ships. If the rolls had succeeded, I would have tried to sink more CVs. The way I see it, the German fleet should be used to kill CVs whenever it has a chance. Even with the Damaged ship now aborted, I still think they are within the realm of the CW in terms of current factors in the North Sea. It also forces the CW to bring out more ships or to at least hold them in the area -- keeping them out of the Med. Germany is going to be building very few Naval Units, and the odds won't get any better than they are right now.

You may be right, that the units should have aborted, but since they have air cover, I don't know. I guess we'll see what happens.
-----
As for the doctor, thank you. I think things are okay. He sent me to get more blood-work done and another round of chest x-rays, but I doubt they'll show any trouble. I think it's just a case of a slow recovery. Last time I had pneumonia, I was in my mid-20s and it was summer. I'm now in my mid-30s and it is winter. I should expect a longer recovery period.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 470
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 9:02:48 PM   
Centuur

Well. For next impulse you're okay, because the CW can't fly the NAV into the area, because of the weather...

Pneumonia at mid 20's and mid 30's? That doesn't sound good at all. Of course in winter it takes much longer to recover from this. However, you're not that old so you shouldn't catch this at all (except when you've done something very extreem...). Or are you the type who keeps on going and going even when you've got the flew (flu? Why isn't the &^%$# translation machine from google giving me a good English word for "Griep"...?) and don't listen to your body? Take care of yourself.

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 471
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 9:28:51 PM   
Klydon

Not going to tell anyone who can type English as well as you do Centuur about pronoucing English words, but in English, flew and flu sound the same so that might be what it is struggling with. Probaby has fun with there and their too.

On to more important matters, have to give it to the German Kreigsmarine for having a set of big ones to play in the North Sea like that even if it is a calculated risk. Given how things are going for France and their navy, the Royal Navy seems like it is going to be under a tremendous amount of pressure for awhile.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 472
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/14/2011 9:53:01 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Not going to tell anyone who can type English as well as you do Centuur about pronoucing English words, but in English, flew and flu sound the same so that might be what it is struggling with. Probaby has fun with there and their too.

On to more important matters, have to give it to the German Kreigsmarine for having a set of big ones to play in the North Sea like that even if it is a calculated risk. Given how things are going for France and their navy, the Royal Navy seems like it is going to be under a tremendous amount of pressure for awhile.

Thanks. About the Germans. The French CV did escape to Dakar, though, when it was overrun, so that is still going for the French.

As to Centuur's question, part of the problem is I'm a smoker (yes, I know). Part of it is that I don't get sick often (once every 2-3 years), so I'm not used to recognizing the signs of illness and tend to wait a little longer than I should before getting medical help. I actually caught this one early, but it still takes time to get through it.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 473
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 3:58:54 AM   
Taxman66

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I never let the CW be outgunned in the North Sea. Ever. Even if it means being weaker in the Med.

I still don't see why on earth Germany hasn't sailed it's subs to the West of the British Isles? Or did GE just wind up with really low range ones to start?

"Part of the $10 million I spent on gambling, part on booze and part on women. The rest I spent foolishly." - George Raft

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 474
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 6:56:43 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Taxman66

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I never let the CW be outgunned in the North Sea. Ever. Even if it means being weaker in the Med.

I still don't see why on earth Germany hasn't sailed it's subs to the West of the British Isles? Or did GE just wind up with really low range ones to start?

It only has 2 SUBs right now, and they have a total of 5 combat factors, I think. I can't remember the range at the moment, but I do know it isn't spectacular.

The real reason, however, that the Germans haven't sent the SUBs out yet, is that it's still only the 4th turn of the game, and they have been extremely active in Europe. They have only had the opportunity to take 2 Combined Actions so far, which means only 2 Naval Moves, and both times it seemed more important to sail the fleet than to sail the low-powered SUBs.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Taxman66)
Post #: 475
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 1:04:22 PM   
Red Prince

Well, not much happened during the Allied impulse. The CW sailed its fleet of BB into the North Sea to teach the Germans a lesson, but couldn't seem to find them in order to spank them for their misbehavior. The MECH did make it to Fez before the Italians, and the Egyptian Territorials are building a threat against Libya.

In China, the weather prevented any further significant retreats, and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get HQ-I Chiang out of Chihkiang without putting him out of supply. The Chinese better consider building Stillwell soon, or the heartland will have no support at all.

The Communist Chinese CAV moved a hex to the East. That puts him in striking distance of several targets, which means he's within "stalling" distance as the Japanese must see it. They'll have to pull at least 2 units back from the front lines in order to contain him.

Other than that, the USA sent a GARR to Honolulu and the USSR began moving forces toward the Finnish Borderlands -- including a lot of air support -- in preparation for the claim. This temporarily does lower the Garrison Value against the Germans, but not enough to make it a problem, and once the Baltic States and the claim are made (next turn for both), the Garrison Value will jump back up again.

So, on to the Axis impulse #9, and the new weather roll . . . which continues to demonstrate an affinity for extremes:

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 476
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 1:30:46 PM   
Red Prince

I made a minor mistake as Germany. I flew the NAV into the North Sea 3 Box, thinking it would protect the fleet. However, I forgot that this counts as a move into the Sea Area and allows the CW to initiate combat there. A German FTR did react and was included in the combat, which resulted in 2 Commonwealth CVP being aborted, 2 of their bombers getting through, the German NAV getting through, and the FTR getting shot down, though the pilot survived.

-----
Edit: However, Germany managed to survive the first round of bombers unscathed, and wisely chose to abort after the first round of Naval Combat.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/15/2011 1:42:17 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 477
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 2:40:36 PM   
Red Prince

Two attacks this impulse. Not trusting the Fine weather to hold, Germany managed to mount a 3:1 effort against Toulouse, using a ton of Ground Support. There's actually a little better than a 50/50 chance of moving up to the 4:1 CRT. Either way, there is a minimum 70% chance of success on this attack, and while it's likely that the Germans will lose a unit and become disorganized, that's what the I Slovak MIL is there for -- to absorb the loss.

The base reason for this attack is that if the Axis does not get another impulse this turn, France will not be conquered. I'd like that finished off before we get into the long summer turns. If the attack gets very lucky, troops can be positioned for the next battle . . . the one for Spain. Even if they are disorganized, I can reorganize 3 of them and I still have more troops on the way down to this part of France.

The second attack, of course, is the one I planned on Athens. This attack actually includes an invasion. That wasn't so smart. Again, I was not thinking of the rules clearly . . . I was doing it for the Blitz Bonus, but you don't get that when attacking cities. Doh! So, the attack is actually at lower odds than it could have been because of the Notional Unit. Oh, well, 5:1 is fine . . . or it should be.

And the results:

Attack on Toulouse; Assault, Fractional Odds .401 (Yes), Roll = 7 = -/1S
Attack on Athens; Assault, Roll = 7+1 = 8 = */2S

The Germans got some luck, moving up to the 4:1 CRT, but rolled just short of remaining organized. Oh, well. Doesn't matter. France has seen the end of its European days.

Italy, too was brilliant in its effort at Athens.

Now, the Axis has to hope like hell that they get another impulse in order to move troops into position to fight Spain during the long summer months . . . and so that Italy can align Yugoslavia before the turn is over.
-----
Edit: In the end, I decided not to reorganize any of these units. I want to be able to move HQ-I von Bock SW 2 hexes next impulse in order to prepare the potential Paradrop on Madrid (forcing the Spanish setup to take that into account).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/15/2011 3:25:16 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 478
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 3:10:36 PM   
Red Prince

It looks like Orm may have been right about the re-disposition of troops in Communist China, although I don't know how much good it would have done.

This image is slightly degraded, but I wanted to show you the entire battle front in one shot.

In the North, it was actually easier than I expected to ZOC the CAV not only out of being a problem, but into Isolation, too. That was actually an accident. I didn't notice it until after I completed all of my moves. (This is where Orm was definitely correct -- that CAV should have been moved SW to protect against the Japanese CAV). Without a successful retreat by the Communists this coming impulse, which may mean abandoning Sian, that Japanese CAV is going to cause some trouble.

As I noted before, HQ-I Chiang is stuck where he is. He only has 2 movement points, so there is no way to get him out of Chihkiang without putting him out of supply. Now that the weather is clear again, his companions are going to have to abandon him in order to slow down the Japanese advance. Kunming, Chengtu, and Lanchow are all now under threat, which would leave only Chungking left as a solidly defended city.

Moving HQ-I Umezu NW last impulse turned out to be the right thing to do for the Japanese; he has now opened up a third front, and with Yamamoto covering in the south, even though the lines are fairly thin, it will be difficult for the Nationalist Chinese to stop them everywhere. I debated using Umezu to reorganize the tall stack topped by the 8-3 INF, since it has 16 factors tied up in it, but this is now a game of maneuver and that means having all Japanese HQs available to push forward, through, and around the remaining Chinese defenders.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 12/15/2011 3:11:41 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 479
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 12/15/2011 3:22:41 PM   
Red Prince

There actually is one desperate hope left for France. And it is here, at Marseilles . . .

France can mount a 2:1 attack against the Italian INF, and if it succeeds and the turn ends (40% chance), they will survive to fight on for two more months. It also opens up a city where the incoming INF unit can be placed in a useful position.

At this point, it's time to do anything even remotely possible to stop the conquest of France.

Attachment (1)

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI